[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: what do ya do with grayson allen?  (Read 15576 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: what do ya do with grayson allen?
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
No, it's not only because it's Allen that I think the shove was obvious. The story has become national news because it's Allen. I think the shove was blatant because I watched the video and saw a blatant shove. How often do you see some lose their balance and attempt to regain it by giving someone a hard two-handed shove to the chest?

Well, Dennis Gates strongly disagrees with your version of events and your interpretation of those events. I stand by my belief that your interpretation is colored by the history of one of the people involved in the collision, and not what actually occurred.

So a dirty play isn't dangerous? In the context of the game, a hard foul makes sense to avoid giving up an easy two points. Kicking/tripping an opponent because you're frustrated doesn't.

I never said Allen's behavior makes sense or is anything but dirty. I'm just calling out the over-the-top dramatics about how dangerous it is. It's no more dangerous - and in some cases far less dangerous - that many other fouls that occur during a typical game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
This happens on pretty much every single play that ever results in an NFL player being run or pushed out of bounds along the sidelines in the middle 50 yards of the field.

There is quite literally nothing to this.  If you want to avoid this, then you have to move the benches/courtside seats/cheerleaders/press tables/etc. back 15 feet and draw a line 10 feet off of the sideline that a coach cannot cross during live play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
I stand by my belief that your interpretation is colored by the history of one of the people involved in the collision, and not what actually occurred.

Wait, why is Allen's history not relevant to interpreting what happened? His several previous intentional attempts to trip and kick at people absolutely points toward a lack of accident or mistake in this instance.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Yall need to calm the hell down. I'm starting to wonder how many of you have ever played sports. It's far better to push someone away then collide with him at 200 pounds at full speed. If his intent was to hurt, he would have hurt.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
Well, Dennis Gates strongly disagrees with your version of events and your interpretation of those events. I stand by my belief that your interpretation is colored by the history of one of the people involved in the collision, and not what actually occurred.

I never said Allen's behavior makes sense or is anything but dirty. I'm just calling out the over-the-top dramatics about how dangerous it is. It's no more dangerous - and in some cases far less dangerous - that many other fouls that occur during a typical game.

It's fine if you believe that my interpretation is colored by the Allen's history. You're 100% wrong but you're entitled to that belief.

What's your definition of a dirty play vs. a dangerous play? To me, they're very similar in many respects.

Where were the "over-the-top dramatics" about Allen's tripping? I said that he has "an immature, dangerous on-court history." Should I have said "an immature, dirty on-court history?" Is that less dramatic? Actually, I believe you'd just find a way to draw an incorrect inference from that statement as well...and I stand by that belief.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
What's your definition of a dirty play vs. a dangerous play? To me, they're very similar in many respects.

Dirty = something outside the rules and the accepted practices of the game
Dangerous = something that presents substantial risk of injury to an opposing player

Not every dangerous play is dirty and not every dirty play is dangerous.
Take, for example, Clemson's apparent proclivity for fingering opponents' bungholes. That's dirty, but not dangerous.
On the other hand, a body check on a player skating with his head down through the neutral zone  is super dangerous (ask Patrik Laine), but it's not dirty.

Where were the "over-the-top dramatics" about Allen's tripping?

Labeling his tripping as "dangerous" is over-the-top dramatics. While dirty and douchey, none of his trips posed a serious risk of "danger" to anyone. A player is more likely to be injured going up for a contested rebound than by falling down from a trip.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
Labeling his tripping as "dangerous" is over-the-top dramatics. While dirty and douchey, none of his trips posed a serious risk of "danger" to anyone. A player is more likely to be injured going up for a contested rebound than by falling down from a trip.

Actually, tripping in basketball is much more dangerous than you think, and it boils down to simple biology and physics.  The basic premises here are 1) I think it's the parasympathetic nervous system, but your body can react faster to upper body contact, e.g. someone who is being body checked to the floor can react (i.e. position and/or brace himself for a controlled fall) faster than someone who is sent to the floor as the result of contact at the shin... we might be talking a tenth of a second, but sometimes that's enough, especially for someone who has become accustomed to having that extra tenth of a second to adjust to body contact, and 2) someone who is tripped falls to the floor much faster because their entire body becomes a pendulum that pivots on the point of contact (just like "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" also true is "the taller they are, the faster they fall).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »
Allen's shove was nothing. Had any of 4,000 other D1 scholarship basketball players done it, it wouldn't even have been noticed.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2017, 05:36:58 AM »
no, there isn't really much to see here, BUT, when someone has a proclivity for a specific type of activity during certain events, this "someone" better be prepared for EXTRA scrutiny, eyn'a?

let's take a sex offender, for example, now i'm not saying what grayson did was anything close to doing anything even remotely close to doing what sex offenders do, but wait... he does kinda look like a sex offender though, doesn't he? but i digress...anywhoooooo...well ya see what i'm getting at?  whenever allen scratches his boys, someone is going to see him trippin someone, if ya know what i mean
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
no, there isn't really much to see here, BUT, when someone has a proclivity for a specific type of activity during certain events, this "someone" better be prepared for EXTRA scrutiny, eyn'a?

let's take a sex offender, for example, now i'm not saying what grayson did was anything close to doing anything even remotely close to doing what sex offenders do, but wait... he does kinda look like a sex offender though, doesn't he? but i digress...anywhoooooo...well ya see what i'm getting at?  whenever allen scratches his boys, someone is going to see him trippin someone, if ya know what i mean

i do know what you mean even if it took you 100 words to say something that you could have in 10. e e cummings woulda been really proud if you had said it in rhyme, as well as no caps.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
i do know what you mean even if it took you 100 words to say something that you could have in 10. e e cummings woulda been really proud if you had said it in rhyme, as well as no caps.

Ya mean you're just figuring that out?  Come on man!! That's just the way I roll baby!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »

Well, I am glad to see Coach K finally stepped up and did the right thing....

https://thekicker.com/tough-but-fair-coach-k-suspends-grayson-allen-for-rest-of-tourney/
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2017, 06:05:15 PM »
  Nice find

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »

Well, I am glad to see Coach K finally stepped up and did the right thing....

OK, I actually laughed out loud at that.

I showed it to my son, and he showed me this one.  Also funny.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback