[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: what do ya do with grayson allen?  (Read 15680 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: what do ya do with grayson allen?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:46:17 AM »
no, i missed the tantrum, but i can just imagine.

i don't know how anyone with a clear conscience can deny grayson tripped the guy on purpose unless he(grayson) can claim it's a nervous tic or something.  it looked like "kung fu fighting" for chrimeny sake.  he does that in the nba and he get's his ass kicked right now.  i could see the other team just open up the lane for him.  as soon as he makes his move to the basket...x-check into the boards

I actually wondered this. Not so much a tic, but almost a compulsion when he gets frustrated. Still, there's no place for that in the sport. If I ran sports, I would suspend him for three games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 12:48:04 AM »
Is the enabled alcoholic athlete better or worse than the enabled abnormal and violent athlete?

Uhh. I'll go with the guy who was quite literally passed out behind the wheel. There was a much, much higher chance of Floyd killing someone than there has been in any of these instances of Grayson Allen even leaving the slightest of bruises on any of these kids.

And vehicular homicide is *slightly* worse than tripping someone on a basketball court. Not exactly something I'd consider "violent," but I suppose that's semantics.

https://youtu.be/Wp1J4tabsy0

This play is 10x as dangerous as tripping someone on the ground. Is LeBron some crazy violent being who needs psychological help due to his violence combined with hissy fits?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 05:10:02 AM »
I actually wondered this. Not so much a tic, but almost a compulsion when he gets frustrated. Still, there's no place for that in the sport. If I ran sports, I would suspend him for three games.

it's like his last resort to getting beat on a play-well if you're going to drive past me and try to score, i guess i'll just have to pull out my super secret weapon-the ole leg whip-works every time. 

when we were kids playing pick-up football, we found tripping to be a very effective way to free up our running back, until we re-set the rules-NO TRIPPING.  as we were just kids playing a back yard sport and there were no referees, the penalty for said violation thereafter was taken care of amongst ourselves.  funny thing is, it didn't happen anymore

punishment for grayson-has to play a one on one cage game with ndamukong suh  ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »
Guy has a long wrap sheet with tripping.

This

This is not the first, or the even second time he has done this.  It is at least the third time.

It seems like he does it instinctively ... he cannot help himself.

Tums Festival

• All American
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »
Suspended indefinitely...

http://deadspin.com/duke-suspends-grayson-allen-indefinitely-1790396210?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

As he should be.

To me, the biggest thing is that it's embarrassing for Grayson.  That's pretty much the extent of it, in my opinion.  He's acting like a 4 year old child when he does this.  But I'm not going to pretend he put someone's life in danger, that he could seriously injure someone by acting this way, or that I'm enraged at his actions.  To me, it's just another Duke player to hate on, a list of many.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 09:13:30 AM »
Uhh. I'll go with the guy who was quite literally passed out behind the wheel. There was a much, much higher chance of Floyd killing someone than there has been in any of these instances of Grayson Allen even leaving the slightest of bruises on any of these kids.

And vehicular homicide is *slightly* worse than tripping someone on a basketball court. Not exactly something I'd consider "violent," but I suppose that's semantics.

https://youtu.be/Wp1J4tabsy0

This play is 10x as dangerous as tripping someone on the ground. Is LeBron some crazy violent being who needs psychological help due to his violence combined with hissy fits?

They're both equally bad. One is viewed as more egregious, but they are both dangerous people. Luckily, the alcoholic is easier to get into a rehab program, unlike the guy that doesn't think he's doing anything wrong.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »
As he should be.

To me, the biggest thing is that it's embarrassing for Grayson.  That's pretty much the extent of it, in my opinion.  He's acting like a 4 year old child when he does this.  But I'm not going to pretend he put someone's life in danger, that he could seriously injure someone by acting this way, or that I'm enraged at his actions.  To me, it's just another Duke player to hate on, a list of many.

The key is his actions are consistent with those that lead individuals to alcohol/drug abuse and the types of situations you were describing.  The idea that the rules do not apply to them (see Manziel).  If a hard stance is not taken, the next action may be far more extreme and deadly than tripping a person on the court.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
They're both equally bad. One is viewed as more egregious, but they are both dangerous people. Luckily, the alcoholic is easier to get into a rehab program, unlike the guy that doesn't think he's doing anything wrong.

To me there are very few things in this world that are worse than getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »
Excessive, IMO.  Hopefully he will use it as a learning opportunity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
Excessive, IMO.  Hopefully he will use it as a learning opportunity.

Well, their next game is 9 days away, plus the XMas break where all players I imagine get at least 3-4 days off anyway, so while "indefinitely" sounds harsh, my guess it will be a game or two tops.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
To me there are very few things in this world that are worse than getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I am in the same boat as you, Floyd made that choice. Grayson also has become a serial offender in terms of this, he clearly has an issue where he cannot control himself.

jsglow

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
the dudes reaction, after he tripped him, was like, disbelief.  he couldn't believe how the kid went down.  like it was the other player's fault b/c he claimed he hooked him causing his leg to uncontrollably swing around and just happen to take him out.  classic coddled kid look.  if mom was disappointed last time, i'm sure THIS TIME she is going to give him a serious "time out" and maybe even take away his iphone...well, that would be pretty harsh, eyn'er? ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
Not that I condone what he does, but I'd be much, much more concerned with a player who uses drugs, sexually harasses/assaults someone, physically assaults someone, etc.

For all the outrage over this, there are much, much, much, much bigger things to be upset about in sports than this.

A professional wide receiver can lose his job after literally sleeping through 2 red lights and not even know how to turn his own car off he is so drunk...only to be picked up by another team the exact same week.  There's a lot more wrong with that situation than with Duke deciding not to suspend Grayson Allen for tripping.

There's no reason to compare this situation to the other scenarios you brought up.  Of course physical or sexual assault or driving under the influence is much worse.  But that doesn't mean Grayson Allen isn't a spoiled little turd with a problem.  He threw a tantrum that would make a three year old proud.

I'm surprised someone hasn't put on on his ass yet. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »
There's no reason to compare this situation to the other scenarios you brought up.  Of course physical or sexual assault or driving under the influence is much worse.  But that doesn't mean Grayson Allen isn't a spoiled little turd with a problem.  He threw a tantrum that would make a three year old proud.

I'm surprised someone hasn't put on on his ass yet.

I agree with all you said except for your first sentence.

In a week in which we've seen the Joe Mixon and Michael Floyd news come to light, Grayson Allen tripping a player in a basketball game is dominating the headlines as the most shameful story in sports.  Which is my point.  It's a complete joke.  Yes, Allen is a spoiled turd that acts like a little baby and it's embarrassing for him.  He was awarded a technical and suspended.  The situation has been handled as it should be.  In my opinion?  Good, move along, no need to dwell on it.  Now the Mixon and Floyd situation?  Very serious issues that are completely downplayed.  Priorities completely mixed up, if you ask me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
And the recognition that she couldn't stop what was about to happen to her son and, worse, couldn't prepare him for it practically paralyzed her.

There's your answer right there.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »

In a week in which we've seen the Joe Mixon and Michael Floyd news come to light, Grayson Allen tripping a player in a basketball game is dominating the headlines as the most shameful story in sports.  Which is my point.  It's a complete joke.  Yes, Allen is a spoiled turd that acts like a little baby and it's embarrassing for him.  He was awarded a technical and suspended.  The situation has been handled as it should be.  In my opinion?  Good, move along, no need to dwell on it.  Now the Mixon and Floyd situation?  Very serious issues that are completely downplayed.  Priorities completely mixed up, if you ask me.

Was going to point that out. Guy nearly beheads a girl with a punch and is still on a team but a hissy fit is what is important on the news. Bizarre but that is what drives viewership and clicks I guess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
I'm not going to compare the on-court actions of a basketball player to the off-the-field actions of a football player. Without dismissing Floyd's offense -- it was heinous and yes, in the big picture, far worse than Allen's offense -- it shifts the discussion too much. Just because one is appalled by Allen's transgression, it doesn't mean one is more appalled by it than Floyd's transgression. So let's keep this to an in-game violation.

Now ...

Allen is a multiple offender. To me, it's not about whether he could hurt somebody (though I think he could) or how badly he could hurt them (if a guy he trips bangs his head hard onto the court or into another players' knee, the victim could be lost for weeks).

I agree with whoever said Allen probably has a psychological problem. Why would he feel the need to repeatedly do something he knows is wrong? It goes beyond dirty; there is something deep-down wrong there.

Plus, he had two very interesting, different reactions yesterday. The first, as rocket noted, was to stare at the victim as if the victim had done something wrong. Not only was there little regard for the victim, there seemed to be actual disdain for him. The second was the way Allen lost it on the bench. If I were K, I would have sent him to the locker room until he could show he had it back together.

I don't blame K for not suspending him, and I like that he made Allen apologize to the victim, but certainly the ACC should suspend Allen. One game would be enough for me, with the understanding that the next punishment would be far more severe.

Rather than some drunk NFLer (or any other off-the-court/off-the-field transgressor), the better comparison is Draymond Green. After the second or third time he went for the nuggets, he was fined. The next time, he was suspended -- and not just for a game but for an NBA Finals game. His dirty play and his inability to control his darkest impulses literally might have cost his team the championship, and he has to wear that for the rest of his life.

There is no way to fine Allen. But there certainly is a way to suspend him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
#Millennials

Am I right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
Guy has a long wrap sheet with tripping.

So do 99 percent of hockey players.
The guy is a douche and a suspension is fine, but for chrissakes he didn't hurt anyone or even put someone in serious likelihood of being hurt ... at least no more so than a hard foul puts someone in jeopardy of being hurt. He's a poor sport, for sure, but that's all.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
I'm not going to compare the on-court actions of a basketball player to the off-the-field actions of a football player. Without dismissing Floyd's offense -- it was heinous and yes, in the big picture, far worse than Allen's offense -- it shifts the discussion too much. Just because one is appalled by Allen's transgression, it doesn't mean one is more appalled by it than Floyd's transgression. So let's keep this to an in-game violation.

Now ...

Allen is a multiple offender. To me, it's not about whether he could hurt somebody (though I think he could) or how badly he could hurt them (if a guy he trips bangs his head hard onto the court or into another players' knee, the victim could be lost for weeks).

I agree with whoever said Allen probably has a psychological problem. Why would he feel the need to repeatedly do something he knows is wrong? It goes beyond dirty; there is something deep-down wrong there.

Plus, he had two very interesting, different reactions yesterday. The first, as rocket noted, was to stare at the victim as if the victim had done something wrong. Not only was there little regard for the victim, there seemed to be actual disdain for him. The second was the way Allen lost it on the bench. If I were K, I would have sent him to the locker room until he could show he had it back together.

I don't blame K for not suspending him, and I like that he made Allen apologize to the victim, but certainly the ACC should suspend Allen. One game would be enough for me, with the understanding that the next punishment would be far more severe.

Rather than some drunk NFLer (or any other off-the-court/off-the-field transgressor), the better comparison is Draymond Green. After the second or third time he went for the nuggets, he was fined. The next time, he was suspended -- and not just for a game but for an NBA Finals game. His dirty play and his inability to control his darkest impulses literally might have cost his team the championship, and he has to wear that for the rest of his life.

There is no way to fine Allen. But there certainly is a way to suspend him.

But why can't we compare the media reactions to the 2 situations?

Here's where I have 2 problems.  First, Allen is a baby and tripped someone and reacted like a baby.  But he was rightfully T'd up immediately and he was rightfully suspended.  The situation has been handled in the way it should have been handled.  So now instead of accepting the correct response to it...

(my second problem) I'm on my PC at work and am not used to doing really anything other than searching the internet and doing what I need to for work on a PC, while I could take screenshots to support my argument if I were on my MacBook at home.  But if I go to ESPN.com right now, the front page story and picture is the Grayson Allen tripping incident with a title of "Duke's season depends on whether Grayson Allen can grow up."  Okay, so ESPN thinks that's a bigger story than Floyd passing out behind the wheel or Mixon playing more or less an entire college career with no penalty despite knocking a female out.  Fine.  So be it.  But then the very first "Top Headlines" story is, "Duke suspends Allen indefinitely for tripping."  Okay, more Grayson.  But wait.  Then you go down to the other headline stories and the very first one there is "How long should Grayson Allen sit out?"  Scroll down right below that?  "Greenberg believes Duke needs to get Allen help."  And scroll right below that?  "Allen doesn't plan on tripping another player again."  And each one of those 5 links has its own separate video on the situation.  It's absurd.  FINALLY we get down beyond Grayson Allen tripping someone and onto another news story (Browns stink, essentially).

But, I mean, come on.  Really?  The guy tripped someone.  It's stupid and embarrassing.  But this is the coverage you get of OJ on a slow speed chase along an interstate with a gun to his head, not of an athlete tripping another athlete in competition.

Mixon is the fourth link down on the "Top Headlines" and there is nothing to be found on Floyd.  While 2 of these are off field incidents and the other is an on court incident, ESPN/ESPN.com covers off field incidents all the time, often as their lead stories.  The coverage of these stories is completely mixed up in my opinion.  Allen should be a side note, Floyd and Mixon should be the main stories.

Just my opinion.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »

I don't disagree with you regarding the media coverage but to me that's a separate topic in and of itself. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
If I'm Duke, I suspend him three games. Why? Well, you have to suspend him at least one, so that means he sits out at Virginia Tech. Not ideal, but still winnable with Harry Giles back. Both Kennard and Jackson should be able to handle the point duties. The next two games are at home against Georgia Tech and Boston College. Duke should be able to win those handily even without Allen. Looks good from a PR perspective that they took a tough approach, but absolute worst case scenario they still go 2-1 and have him back for trips to Florida State and Louisville.

It's the illusion of being hard on him, but the reality of suspending him for one obligatory game and two conference-counting buy games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
You are clearly in favor of the "whatever it takes to gain an advantage" point of view.  My point of view is that if you cannot manage that line between being hyper competitive and cheating/playing dirty you don't belong on my team.  If that is a team i root for and the management, staff, or players cannot manage that line I drop my support.

Are you supporting a Marquette basketball program that would support dirty play/cheating?

No. I'm not in favor of that. I'm proud MU doesn't run a dirty program.

My point was just about the outrage to Grayson committing these acts. If everyone in this thread, the talking heads, etc all feel the same about Draymond Green, Suh and other "dirty" players, then fine. But, I didn't get the feeling that's how it is. Suh stomped on players' heads. Green has repeatedly kicked other guys. I missed the threads where people were up-in-arms about those guys, apparently.

It appears, to me, to be easy to take on a target like a college kid, rather than the professional adults.

Talk of Grayson's mental capacities is not part of my discussion. Nor is off-the-field behavior. I'm simply talking about on the field acts.