[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christian McCaffery  (Read 39641 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Christian McCaffery
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
McCaffery isn't a running back alone.  Slot receiver, kick returner.  He will be a nightmare matchup for linebackers.  Great pick.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »
Mike Adamle, Northwestern football player (and long time Chicago sportscaster) reminds us how much the draft has changed

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »
Mike Adamle, Northwestern football player (and long time Chicago sportscaster) reminds us how much the draft has changed

Loyola or Regina?

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2017, 10:03:56 PM »
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
Is it encouraging or discouraging if you're the Falcons and your #1 pick is losing his mind on stage?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
McCaffery isn't a running back alone.  Slot receiver, kick returner.  He will be a nightmare matchup for linebackers.  Great pick.

As a Panthers fan, I hope so.

I approve of the pick. Makes a lot of sense for them.

Too bad for Panthers GM Dave Gettleman that he'll be fired before 2020, as per MU Dish, who is "surprised, shocked" by two RBs going in the top 8 even though pretty much every expert said that's exactly what would happen.

All in good fun, bud!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »
Is it encouraging or discouraging if you're the Falcons and your #1 pick is losing his mind on stage?

Love the mommy sandwich board...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
See attached.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #286 on: April 27, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »
See attached.

You're a good man, Dish.  Definitely a much more productive response to your disappointment than a obscenity filled rant.  Perhaps not as entertaining for the rest of us, but definitely better.  Perspective is a good thing.  Continued best wishes to Bradley and the family. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
Way to go Dish!  RMH is a wonderful charity. My wife and I stayed in the one in Milwaukee for 2 weeks when our late son was at Children's Hospital of WI. Hard to believe it's been almost 5 years.

They gave us so much at a very difficult time for our family. Being close meant so much to me and my wife. It also made things much easier for us being our home away from home, especially since we live in Madison.

Best of wishes to Bradley. Hope his health stays strong.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
The sentiment is nice, and I appreciate it, but I was wrong and needed to own it. I don't agree with taking RB's early, but I put myself on the line, and not just one, but two went top 10. You guys were right to call me out on it.

After watching that draft last night, I feel like I don't know anything anymore.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
The sentiment is nice, and I appreciate it, but I was wrong and needed to own it. I don't agree with taking RB's early, but I put myself on the line, and not just one, but two went top 10. You guys were right to call me out on it.

After watching that draft last night, I feel like I don't know anything anymore.

Agreed.  It's like the NCAA Tournament.  The years I have watched more basketball and really try to look into what picks I should be making I do awful and the years where I decide, "Well, it's just going to end horribly anyway so I'm just going on gut instinct and sticking with it" are the years I actually win some money.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »

Actually, I had forgotten (or maybe not realized) that there was actually a bet on that.  I was totally focused on your disappointment regarding Trubisky to the Bears, and not on the RBs.  I wasn't part of that conversation.  I thought that you just directed your frustration to a more productive outlet.  I've known some people who when they are really upset, rather than lashing out, they try to do something productive.  I thought that's what was going on.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
Actually, I had forgotten (or maybe not realized) that there was actually a bet on that.  I was totally focused on your disappointment regarding Trubisky to the Bears, and not on the RBs.  I wasn't part of that conversation.  I thought that you just directed your frustration to a more productive outlet.  I've known some people who when they are really upset, rather than lashing out, they try to do something productive.  I thought that's what was going on.

I should be more pious, and I did actually take a walk last night instead of ranting and raving about Trubisky. If nothing else, I think my wife appreciated it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #293 on: April 28, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
Dish-

I agree that the RB position has been devalued.  McCaffrey is a nice player but he's basically Ty Montgomery or Reggie Bush.  Curtis Samuel gives you a lot of the same stuff available later.  So I don't think McCaffrey should have been a top 10 pick.

But I also read all the reports about Carolina loving him and targeting him at number 8.  So even though I disagree with their selection, I was not shocked by it either.

Fournette I'm not sure about.  Will he be Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson, or something in between? He could be good but I'm not enamored with him.  But again, everything signaled him going top 10.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #294 on: April 28, 2017, 11:45:38 AM »
Dish-

I agree that the RB position has been devalued.  McCaffrey is a nice player but he's basically Ty Montgomery or Reggie Bush.  Curtis Samuel gives you a lot of the same stuff available later.  So I don't think McCaffrey should have been a top 10 pick.

But I also read all the reports about Carolina loving him and targeting him at number 8.  So even though I disagree with their selection, I was not shocked by it either.

Fournette I'm not sure about.  Will he be Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson, or something in between? He could be good but I'm not enamored with him.  But again, everything signaled him going top 10.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said shocked/surprised. I should have formulated my argument differently, it was dumb contrarian meatball of me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #295 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself, kid. You never knew anything!

Just kidding ... saw an opportunity for a dumb line and took it. Very classy of you to make that gift to RMH. My wife is a pediatric nurse here in Charlotte and has had many dealings with our RMH - they do great work.

I also don't know if the RBs will succeed. Given that my favorite team drafted one of them, I sure hope so. But I also don't know if the first QB taken will succeed. Nor do I know if any of the OL taken will succeed. Like the NCAA tourney ... a crapshoot, hey?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
I hope next year a couple of dozen players sit out their bowl games. I'd love to see Alabama lose the semifinal game because their top five or six players sit.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they sit out their conference championship game.   Look at the Bears draft pick Trubisky, he only started 13 games and that was enough to be the number 2 player in the draft. So just play 6 to 8 games prove what you are and shut it down.

It's the right thing to do for your family and your career. And if enough players do it it'll force necessary change in college football

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236866/2017-nfl-draft-takeaways-why-more-prospects-will-skip-bowl-games

If it wasn't obvious before, it should be now: Well-regarded prospects have nothing to gain from a professional standpoint and everything to lose by playing in an otherwise meaningless college bowl game. His participation in the bowl game can cost him millions of dollars. The 2017 draft provides a succinct explanation.

Running backs Leonard Fournette (LSU) and Christian McCaffrey (Stanford) both skipped their final college games to preserve their health. Did NFL teams question their commitment or love for the game? Hardly. They were among the first eight players drafted, to the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers, respectively.

On the other hand is the case of Michigan tight end Jake Butt, who suffered a torn ACL in the Orange Bowl. Before the injury, you could quite comfortably call him a top-50 prospect, meaning he could have been drafted in the first round, but no later than the middle of the second. Based on 2016's rookie scale, Butt would have been guaranteed about $2.8 million if he had been drafted at No. 50 overall.

The ACL injury knocked him down to Saturday's fifth round, where he was selected at No. 145. Based on last season's scale, he can expect guarantees of around $260,000. So even after collecting on an insurance policy ESPN's Darren Rovell reported would bring him $543,000, he is still roughly $2 million short of where he would have been.

In truth, the only time a bowl game is important to a player's evaluation is when it represents a rare chance to see him play against better competition or a bigger conference. Otherwise, it is a financial risk absorbed by the player for the benefit of his school's coffers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:33:25 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

feedback