[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 241999 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Uh...so about the Boston Celtics.  Holy cow Cleveland.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
This isn't going to help the league's goal of reducing teams resting during the regular season

MU82

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
I know we have had discussions here about what makes a great coach - specifically whether Phil Jackson was a great coach or not. I think the NBA is one sport where it is very hard to judge a coach's greatness. If you don't have an all-time great, you aren't gonna win a title. Everyone knew before the season started that GS and Cleveland would be playing for the title.

So, do you think it makes a difference in Lebron's place in history that he never had the "opportunity" to play for a "great coach, but still has multiple rings?

I still have him rated #3 behind MJ and Kareem, but a couple more championships could move him to #1. While Love and Irving are nice players, neither comes anywhere close to what Scottie was.

The championship-winning shot Irving hit last season was bigger and better than any shot Pippen ever hit in his career. I agree with you that, right now, Pippen ranks well ahead of Irving. But we'll let time be the ultimate judge.

As to the coaching question, that's an interesting one. My less-than-interesting (but very honest) answer is: I don't know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
This isn't going to help the league's goal of reducing teams resting during the regular season

Woulda been nice if the Celtics had not decided to rest during the Eastern Conference Finals!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
Hammond "expected" to take over as GM of the Magic. Not that it matters one bit, nor should it, but I have to say I don't like this at all. When he hasn't had Kohl demanding we go all in for the 8 seed and winding up with 2 months of JJ Redick or Kidd having more pull than him with his buddy owners and winding up with MCW and Vaughn the moves Hammond has made have been pretty dang good. If I'm the Bucks and the Magic are talking to Hammond I'm doing everything I can to keep him, and if that means letting Kidd go then so be it (and in my opinion that would be a cherry on top).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
Hammond "expected" to take over as GM of the Magic. Not that it matters one bit, nor should it, but I have to say I don't like this at all. When he hasn't had Kohl demanding we go all in for the 8 seed and winding up with 2 months of JJ Redick or Kidd having more pull than him with his buddy owners and winding up with MCW and Vaughn the moves Hammond has made have been pretty dang good. If I'm the Bucks and the Magic are talking to Hammond I'm doing everything I can to keep him, and if that means letting Kidd go then so be it (and in my opinion that would be a cherry on top).

The most important thing will be maintaining continuity in draft philosophy. Hammond has been fine, but its drafting that has really gotten this team where it is. Taking chances on the risk-reward of Giannis and Maker with those mid-first rounders, rather than just aiming for low ceiling guys that can contribute as a 7th or 8th man, is what has gotten the Bucks where they are. The Middleton deal was very good as well, but outside of that, getting out of Plumlee's contract (which is a breakeven, since that deal was Hammond's handiwork anyway) ranks as probably his best move. Not to say Hammond has been bad at all - getting anything for MCW was probably a good trade - but I don't see Hammond moving on as overly damaging in and of itself.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
The most important thing will be maintaining continuity in draft philosophy. Hammond has been fine, but its drafting that has really gotten this team where it is. Taking chances on the risk-reward of Giannis and Maker with those mid-first rounders, rather than just aiming for low ceiling guys that can contribute as a 7th or 8th man, is what has gotten the Bucks where they are. The Middleton deal was very good as well, but outside of that, getting out of Plumlee's contract (which is a breakeven, since that deal was Hammond's handiwork anyway) ranks as probably his best move. Not to say Hammond has been bad at all - getting anything for MCW was probably a good trade - but I don't see Hammond moving on as overly damaging in and of itself.

I guess I'm more concerned with where the organization goes.  Will the owners make good decisions for the future of the organization or will we continue to see Jason Kidd's best friends (and their kids) get positions within the organization?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Justin Zanik is expected to be promoted from GM-in-waiting to GM.

Was never sold on Hammon, didn't he draft Joe Alexander and Jimmer Fredette? And don't get me started on the Vasquez trade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
Justin Zanik is expected to be promoted from GM-in-waiting to GM.

Was never sold on Hammon, didn't he draft Joe Alexander and Jimmer Fredette? And don't get me started on the Vasquez trade.

I believe I heard the Vasquez trade was a Kidd call? Although I may be misremembering that. Jimmer we drafted for the Kings.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
I believe I heard the Vasquez trade was a Kidd call? Although I may be misremembering that. Jimmer we drafted for the Kings.

although in hindsight, Hammond could have selected Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard instead (not to mention JFB)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
although in hindsight, Hammond could have selected Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard instead (not to mention JFB)

The Bucks were going to draft Thompson at 10 but they chose to dump John Salmons horrible contract in the Jimmer/Tobias Harris trade instead.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
This is being pitched as Hammond was lured away, but the reality is that Zanik was brought in as the GM-in-waiting, and that position carries significantly less value with Kidd's increased involvement.

I was not a fan of Hammond's moves early on, but he and Kidd seem to have reached alignment on the type of team that they want to build. Hopefully Zanik is equally aligned (or it was all Kidd's idea, and Hammond was basically Bills' GM Doug Whaley).

Future is bright - I hope they take a stab at another project - we've gone 2 for 2, and Maker has had returns much faster than anyone anticipated (not bad for a 30 year old rookie!).

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
This is being pitched as Hammond was lured away, but the reality is that Zanik was brought in as the GM-in-waiting, and that position carries significantly less value with Kidd's increased involvement.

I was not a fan of Hammond's moves early on, but he and Kidd seem to have reached alignment on the type of team that they want to build. Hopefully Zanik is equally aligned (or it was all Kidd's idea, and Hammond was basically Bills' GM Doug Whaley).

Makes a lot of sense for Hammonds from a career-lengthening perspective, too. He goes out being credited with the construction of an up and coming winner in a small market, whereas he's one significant injury to Giannis or another one to Parker or Middleton away from having what would be characterized as disappointments in Detroit and Milwaukee on his resume. Buys himself at least three more years running a front office in Orlando.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
"Zanik is the GM in waiting while Hammond works through his contract."

*Hammond moves on a year early*

"No worries, Zanik will have all decision making power including firing Kidd if he sees fit."

*One day passes*

"We have decided to open up a broad search to fill our open GM position."

Classic Bucks.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »
"Zanik is the GM in waiting while Hammond works through his contract."

*Hammond moves on a year early*

"No worries, Zanik will have all decision making power including firing Kidd if he sees fit."

*One day passes*

"We have decided to open up a broad search to fill our open GM position."

Classic Bucks.

I'll be surprised if Zanik doesn't still get it. I think the illusion of a full search just gives me greater authority for having beat out "competitors".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
I thought the Bucks would do this, there likely are some candidates they will consider that might not have been available when Zanik was hired. I think it is best due diligence that they do a full-on search.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:17:30 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
They're probably 90% sure that they want Zanik but it's worth bringing in some other candidates in case anyone blows them away and also just to know who else is out there. If the job does go to Zanik, they'll need to backfill the Assistant GM role anyway. Absolutely no harm in seeing what's out there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2017, 11:13:59 PM »
Adieu, Celtics.

Cavs-Warriors III.

As much as I like LeBron - which is a lot - I'm thinking the Warriors win this time. The Cavs gave up a LOT of open 3s to the Celtics and to earlier playoff opponents. That will kill them against the Warriors.

I just hope it's another great series between the NBA's two best teams.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
As good as LeBron's PR staff is, his barber is even better.  I'm pretty confident Carlos Boozer gave LBJ his barber's number.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »
Durant is just killing them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »
Durant is just killing them.

He's certainly not Harrison Barnes.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
The Warriors only need 2 of their 4 to have really great games to win going away. Last night Klay and Dray were pretty much nonexistent on O, but their mutual ability to go off for 40 if left alone is threat enough to open things up and force LBJ to spend all of his energy trying to keep up with Durant. it also helps that Thompson and Draymond both very good defenders, particularly against Cle's iso offense.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »
The Warriors only need 2 of their 4 to have really great games to win going away. Last night Klay and Dray were pretty much nonexistent on O, but their mutual ability to go off for 40 if left alone is threat enough to open things up and force LBJ to spend all of his energy trying to keep up with Durant. it also helps that Thompson and Draymond both very good defenders, particularly against Cle's iso offense.

By "keep up with Durant" do you mean try to match his scoring? Because by and large Durant guarded LeBron, but LeBron did not guard Durant.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
By "keep up with Durant" do you mean try to match his scoring? Because by and large Durant guarded LeBron, but LeBron did not guard Durant.

Judging from Lue's postgame presser and most of the reactions to the game last night though, it seems the consensus is that trying Love on KD was an unmitigated failure and LeBron is going to be spending a lot more time on KD moving forward. Lue alluded to it last night (ignore the clickbaitty headline) - http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/01/nba-finals-no-more-resting-on-defense-for-lebron-james/

and most of the analysis is suggesting that Cleveland is going to look to ugly it up in Game 2 - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-finals-2017-how-lebron-james-cavs-must-adjust-approach-against-warriors/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »
Judging from Lue's postgame presser and most of the reactions to the game last night though, it seems the consensus is that trying Love on KD was an unmitigated failure and LeBron is going to be spending a lot more time on KD moving forward.

One more reason I said Love was overrated when the Cavs traded for him - and I was one of the few who said that. Most here thought it was a great trade for Cleveland.

Being a star on a terrible team does not mean you are a top 10 or 20 player.