[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wichita State to AAC?  (Read 4899 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Wichita State to AAC?
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
I caught this blurb in conference realignment this morning.

Sources: Wichita State emerges as potential basketball-only addition to the AAC
http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/sources-wichita-state-emerges-potential-basketball-addition-aac/

forgetful

• All American
Re: Wichita State to AAC?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
Would be a good fit.  Not sure if the money is there (from the AAC) to make this long term beneficial to Wichita State. 

Likely Wichita State looking to build profile/success and possibly looking to move up long term.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
The AAC would be a step up for Wichita. Where else would they go?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
The AAC would be a step up for Wichita. Where else would they go?

My comment was in regards to the TV deal increases offsetting the large increases in travel related expenses. 

I think long-term they want BE if they stay basketball only.  The BE TV deal would be a net profit even after travel expenses.

They want power 5 if they add football.  They will not add football if they plan on staying in the AAC.  They have been doing studies to see if they add football, if is feasible to have sufficient success in 5-10 years to be considered by the Big12.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
So if Wichita moves to the AAC, who takes their place in the Missouri Valley?

With a public university leaving, do they look at another public?  Milwaukee would make some sense but is just in a terrible place as a program.  Green Bay?  Not sure about that.  I would think Wright State would be given serious consideration given their size and recent basketball success.

Or how about a private?  Valparaiso would be a good choice out of the Horizon, but not sure what their upside is.  Belmont out of the Ohio Valley would also make sense.

By the way, did you know that after Creighton left, the Missouri Valley Conference was left without a single team in the watershed of the Missouri River?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
Wright State makes the most sense... after all, it is the best D-I basketball program there is between Columbus and Cincinnati.

Hard to argue with Belmont and Valpo, however.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
So if Wichita moves to the AAC, who takes their place in the Missouri Valley?

With a public university leaving, do they look at another public?  Milwaukee would make some sense but is just in a terrible place as a program.  Green Bay?  Not sure about that.  I would think Wright State would be given serious consideration given their size and recent basketball success.

Or how about a private?  Valparaiso would be a good choice out of the Horizon, but not sure what their upside is.  Belmont out of the Ohio Valley would also make sense.

By the way, did you know that after Creighton left, the Missouri Valley Conference was left without a single team in the watershed of the Missouri River?

I believe the Valley looked at UWM when Creighton left, but they went with Loyola instead. Loyola basketball sucks and has since the mid-80s. It was done strictly to add Chicago into the conference.

I think Belmont would be the best choice. Good program, in a growing city/market.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
Dey allow intoxicated spousesta make jackasses out themselves  at AAC games, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »
I believe the Valley looked at UWM when Creighton left, but they went with Loyola instead. Loyola basketball sucks and has since the mid-80s. It was done strictly to add Chicago into the conference.

I think Belmont would be the best choice. Good program, in a growing city/market.

Yup. Runner-up was UIC.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »
I'd be careful with that if I was Wichita. Tough to go into a league everyone else is trying to get out of. Houston, UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Temple have explored their options since joining, and I'm sure UCF, SMU, and USF would be gone of something better cane along. I could easily see them joining, them being left in an even worse conference than the MVC.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
I'd be careful with that if I was Wichita. Tough to go into a league everyone else is trying to get out of. Houston, UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Temple have explored their options since joining, and I'm sure UCF, SMU, and USF would be gone of something better cane along. I could easily see them joining, them being left in an even worse conference than the MVC.

I agree with the first part about the AAC imploding if/when the football schools find better places.  But regarding the prospects of Wichita being worse off - they would likely be welcomed back into the MVC in a New York minute.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
Exhibit 236B on why UConn is not long for the American.  Tossing in Wichita, a majority of the AAC (which is just a rebranded C-USA) is in the Southwest and Southeast - a great luxury for student-athletes not in football/basketball.  Adding the Shockers help, but it doesn't take away the damage created by USF, ECU, Tulane and, eventually, SMU.  If UCF stays strong, which I don't think it can/will, it will do so by taking away a spot of a Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati or UConn, as the American will not be a 5-6 bid conference - once again, due to the anchor at the bottom of the league. 

UConn will not be in the AAC in 2025.  They will either be back in the Big East (and FBS Independent), the ACC (unlikely), B1G (even more unlikely) or the Big 12 (which probably won't even look like the traditional Big 12 if the other power conferences eat it for Sunday dinner). 

From an ethical perspective, UConn sacrificing it's Olympic sports in travel, quality of opponents and peer institutions for the greater good of power football is shameful.  UConn Football will not happen, and once Randy Edsall fails to get UConn to the top of the AAC, it will all but be finalized: UConn Football is simply not long for this collegiate landscape.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
There is nothing ethically wrong with UConn being a member of the AAC. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
I met  with some of the big Wichita State backers last week. They are willing to write any checks necessary to get Wichita state into the AAC.  They are  believe that membership in the AAC will enhance their future NCAA seeding. The guys who run the AAC will do anything for money so there is a possibility this could come together.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
I met  with some of the big Wichita State backers last week. They are willing to write any checks necessary to get Wichita state into the AAC.  They are  believe that membership in the AAC will enhance their future NCAA seeding. The guys who run the AAC will do anything for money so there is a possibility this could come together.

They should be careful what they wish for... the opposite could happen just as easily by playing in a conference that doesn't sport the competition level of Bradley and Evansville on a weekly basis.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
Sounds like they want to join as soon as next year according to ESPN

Oldgym

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-to-hold-emergency-meeting-on-sunday-in-saint-louis/

Curious wording: "emergency".  Like the Valley didn't know this was coming?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »
I saw a report that the AAC will vote on this on Friday.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »
With the rats jumping ship at Memphis and UCONN hoops, is this a good idea?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
With the rats jumping ship at Memphis and UCONN hoops, is this a good idea?

I don't think so. Wichita could easily end up left out in the cold, as any expansion talks will likely target AAC teams. Whether it's the Big 12 expanding, or the SEC/Big 10 raiding the ACC and the dominoes forcing them to find replacements, the majority of the viable options are in the AAC.

I understand Wichita feeling a bit hamstrung in the MVC, especially after Illinois State got left out this year, but I don't think the answer is going to a conference where everyone else worth a damn is trying to get out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
I don't think so. Wichita could easily end up left out in the cold, as any expansion talks will likely target AAC teams. Whether it's the Big 12 expanding, or the SEC/Big 10 raiding the ACC and the dominoes forcing them to find replacements, the majority of the viable options are in the AAC.

I understand Wichita feeling a bit hamstrung in the MVC, especially after Illinois State got left out this year, but I don't think the answer is going to a conference where everyone else worth a damn is trying to get out.

What other choice does Wichita have?   Staying where they are isn't a great option.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »

What other choice does Wichita have?   Staying where they are isn't a great option.

I think either leading the charge for a better basketball only league, or looking at the A10 where it's more like-minded schools.

I get them running, but think they're running in the wrong direction.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
I'm not sure the A10 was interested.  Very much a geographical outlier.  (Worse than SLU.)

The AAC isn't a bad basketball conference.  7th in conference RPI this year.  Good geographic fit.  The MVC was 12th in comparison.

Oldgym

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
I didn't see any indication the A-10 was shopping for a school or expanding either. Brew is right about like-minded schools. The next time football dollars start moving the cheese around, WSU will find out how much fun it is to be the second-tier sport in a conference.  Same as we did.