Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fres no-no-no.... ok  (Read 9022 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Fres no-no-no.... ok
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
Ugly second half. We survived.

Feel like I can't criticize Katin too much when JaJuan, Haanif and Duane all had forgettable games. The defense was cringe-inducing. Fresno State looked like it was playing with more energy and focus.

JjJ and Haanif have gotten flack.

And while he certainly wasn't perfect the fact you just lumped JjJ in with Katin proves he's being critiqued too much.

Guy was at least 6/12 for 14 pts and 8 more boards
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
1. Rowsey played fine tonight and I join those who were surprised he wasn't in at the end.

2. Reinhardt did a VERY nice job helping against the full-court pressure. He defended his man decently. I'm not sure how one can define that he showed no leadership. Except for missing some shots, didn't he do pretty much what Wojo asked of him? As for comparing him to Cohen ... yes, I've seen Cohen against pressure. I'll take Reinhardt. Of course, Cohen wouldn't have had any TOs against pressure because he would have been on the bench.

3. Haani ... maybe he's pressing a little. And/or maybe the opposing coach/team has figured out that if you don't let him drive in hard from the left, he's not going to beat you. Not a great dish-and-drive guy, still not a finisher with his right hand. Good player, not great yet.

4. Luke is a poor man-to-man defender so I wish they would have given him a little more help. Came up huge on offense, including a couple of nice put-backs.

5. I appreciate what Sam has done so far this season as much as anybody here, but can you imagine the negativity if Reinhardt had missed 3 FTs down the stretch?

6. Howard is one tough-minded 17-year-old. His FTs barely caused the net to move. Handled the pressure pretty darn good.

7. Gillen is a brutal announcer. Kept saying Sam could play 1, 2 or 3. Said three times that JJJ has improved every year - it's pretty true, but we got it the first time. Kept asking for Traci ... which is fine except Traci couldn't play. Having said all that, I'll take Gillen 100 times a week over Dickey Simpkins.

8. JJJ had 14 points on 6-12 shooting, team-high 8 rebs, 2 assts, swished 2 clutch FTs in final minute. Yes, he had 4 TOs and he whiffed on D a few times, but to hear some Scoopers talk, he was garbage tonight. Just stop it.

9. I came into this week wanting to win 2 out of 3 so we'd be no worse than 9-3 going into conference play, and now we're guaranteed that. But I'm greedy and I hope we're REALLY hitting our 3s on Saturday.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »
Not saying hes was good but rhinehart gets a ton more negativity when he does poorly than cheatum or jujuan. 
Jujuan was horrendous tonite literally stood around ball watching on defense tonite n did very little. Hit a few shots but his turnovers and bad shots were really poor.  Cheatum was terrible too.  Rhineharts size n help breaking the press were keys tonight.
I give all three of them Ds tonite. Just saying rhineharts receives more negativity than he deserves.

I think KR deserves more criticism than Cheatham and JuJuan because at least those two players have showed me they can play. KR has been flat out awful as a Marquette player and I don't understand how he is still getting the minutes he is getting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:49 AM »
Oh, and for those who think it's terrible that our lads had to hang on to win at home against Fresno State ...

Beats the heck out of Ohio State losing at home tonight to Florida Atlantic - a 2-5 team that had lost to Texas State, SIUE and Tennessee-Martin, and was ranked No. 240 by KenPom.

It also beats losing at home to Arkansas State, as one of our Big East brethren did.

I'll take the win every time. It's not always going to be pretty or easy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »
I'll stand up for the students as much as the next guy but tonight was bad. You could make an argument the lower bowl was on 1/4 full.

Moving to the Al in 2017-2018

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:04 AM »
Oh, and for those who think it's terrible that our lads had to hang on to win at home against Fresno State ...

Beats the heck out of Ohio State losing at home tonight to Florida Atlantic - a 2-5 team that had lost to Texas State, SIUE and Tennessee-Martin, and was ranked No. 240 by KenPom.

It also beats losing at home to Arkansas State, as one of our Big East brethren did.

No doubt there are extremes that make us all very happy to be MU fans this morning - but the reality is getting the w is secondary to the defense effort required to play with the big boys.  Now is the time to work these problems out and get the players comfortable with the D system for the season.  We don't seem to be making progress with that and its frustrating.  As you point out its less frustrating than if we lost but frustrating none-the-less.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 07:06:31 AM »
Fact.  :Katin has the highest number of shots per 100 possessions (22.6) and one of the lowest efg% (.357) on the team. Ouch!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:47:51 AM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »

Agree 100%. Even really good teams have off games — getting a win when you do counts for something. The offense was just fine last night. Shot the lights out and kept turnovers down despite missing one of our primary ball handlers. But the defensive issues have been troubling.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
The first half was delightful, the second half was frightful.  At least we still won the game.    Assign the blame, assign the blame, assign the blame.

Who wanted the ball down the stretch?    Who did you want to see with the ball down the stretch?    Who did you NOT want to see with the ball down the stretch?    Did anybody look like they wanted to guard the player for Fresno most likely to shoot?    At least there is team defensive rebounding.   

Fresno's defensive adjustments made MU stand still on offense in the second half.   Because MU saw success early shooting 3's, (in rhythm, off of passes, open looks) they were more than willing to settle for standstill contested 3's late.    Then they got out of rhythm offensively and never found it again and quit hitting open looks.    Must keep moving and passing on offense. 

Defensively, Luke takes a lot of heat (from me, too.   guilty)    But as has been discussed before, Luke is being put in the most unnatural position for him defensively, guarding smalls in space.     I think it was his last foul, he switched with JjJ who basically quit on the play and left Luke trying to slide laterally to defend an attacking guard.      We need our other defenders on the floor to defend better so that Luke can help and block shots, not have to do everything.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
Combining an annoying voice with no announcing talent whatsoever easily makes Gillen the worst I've seen.

He ran out of things to say by halftime and simply resorted to repeating the exact same things he said previously. Awful
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »
Didn't look great but we pulled out the W. Also im not liking the attendance but the place will be sold out this weekend

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
Combining an annoying voice with no announcing talent whatsoever easily makes Gillen the worst I've seen.

Absolutely terrible.  Where's our buddy Dickey Simpkins these days?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
Didn't look great but we pulled out the W. Also im not liking the attendance but the place will be sold out this weekend

And 50% red. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
Young team coming off a road win 48 hours earlier.  Big first half.  Rival game up next.  They let down in the second.

It happens.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
And 50% red.

God, I hope not. But given the lethargy of the fanbase so far this season, it wouldn't surprise me.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
And 50% red.

I don't think it will be 50%, but expecting 35%+ for sure.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »
Rather have a close win tonight and a focused team on Saturday than another blowout and a too relaxed team for Saturday.

I can't see either Marquette or Wisconsin being too relaxed for a game against the other.  I'll definitely comfort myself with the thought that Wojo will have everyone's attention for the remainder of this week's practices.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 11:16:56 AM »
Not saying hes was good but rhinehart gets a ton more negativity when he does poorly than cheatum or jujuan
Jujuan was horrendous tonite literally stood around ball watching on defense tonite n did very little. Hit a few shots but his turnovers and bad shots were really poor.  Cheatum was terrible too.  Rhineharts size n help breaking the press were keys tonight.
I give all three of them Ds tonite. Just saying rhineharts receives more negativity than he deserves.

Who???  :o :o

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »
I am not surprised by the ups and downs of this team.  They live by the 3 point shot.  When its on, we look great.  When its off, we look awful. 

The problem with this team is that it doesn't know how to play defense. Good teams play good defense, it doesn't go hot and cold like 3 point shooting.  Wojo needs to figure out the defensive schemes and if he can't, he needs to find someone who can.

Reinhardt needs to see more pine.  He is a chucker and I cringe whenever he has the ball.

Hauser and Howard are going to be studs.

Have we played any zone?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Have we played any zone?

We played a little against Georgia.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
We played a little against Georgia.

One possession.   Open wing 3 that they made. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
One possession.   Open wing 3 that they made.

I was considering saying "very little" but wasn't sure how many possessions because that was while my satellite was out and I only had the radio. They don't always call out defensive sets ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
The first half was delightful, the second half was frightful. 

And since there's no time to go... Cam Maro, Cam Maro, Cam Maro.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 06:52:12 PM »
And since there's no time to go... Cam Maro, Cam Maro, Cam Maro.

I like it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.