[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sandy Cohen transfer article  (Read 17883 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Sandy Cohen transfer article
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
I have been curing and smoking my own bacon lately. 

Have you no shame?

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
Sandy to UWGB

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
Sandy played more minutes than Burton in exactly two games. The first two of the season. He shot 50% from three in those two games and deserved to be on the floor. Burton got more minutes than Sandy in the six consecutive games following. The "Sandy made Burton transfer" argument is a myth. Burton lost his mother and his coach. He tried to tough it out. Decided he couldn't and followed his friend Jameel to Iowa State.

If by this you mean "plays the players who are most deserving of playing time" than I agree. Can you honestly tell me that Sandy's play was worth of more minutes?

Please share. You keep insisting that you know better than rest of us morons. What experience do you have that makes you more qualified? I'm honestly curious.
Nobody said the rest of you were Morons. Take it as a compliment to your sporting intellect that someone challenges your assumptions.

We are 7-2 good times are just around the corner.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 11:37:56 PM »

You got this right. Pretty much the definition of it.

I'm not into looking back at a poster's history to see what he/she said and how often he/she said it.

But I would guess that MUFINY said several dozen times that Henry would be a four-year player and didn't change his tune until WELL into the season when it was obvious he was wrong.

Now his response is to rip Henry at every turn. Pathetic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2016, 12:17:57 AM »
Nobody said the rest of you were Morons. Take it as a compliment to your sporting intellect that someone challenges your assumptions.

Apologies. You did not call us morons. You did say that you know better than 99% of us. So it's not that we are morons, you are just a genius. If you are going to make statements that claim that your opinion is more valuable or informed than others, please be prepared to back it up.

I'm still waiting for your view on how Sandy's playing time should have been handled. Who do you think he should have been taking minutes from?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:46 AM »
Apologies. You did not call us morons. You did say that you know better than 99% of us. So it's not that we are morons, you are just a genius. If you are going to make statements that claim that your opinion is more valuable or informed than others, please be prepared to back it up.

I'm still waiting for your view on how Sandy's playing time should have been handled. Who do you think he should have been taking minutes from?
I think Wojo should have sat Sandy down and explained what reality was this summer.  I think Wojo played it too cute by a half so to speak. He had an idea Sam and Markus would be strong players, but he wasn't sure, so he hedged his bets and kept Sandy around. Once it became clear Sam and Markus were true studs,  Sandy became disposable.In fact the team is better off without him as minutes allocations are much better. However,  I don't believe you treat college kids as disposable entities.  In this case you walk the kid off the ledge keep him around for the year. It is in every bodies interest. By the way I still think there would have been a handful of occasions Sandy could have played a meaningful role on defense. Sandy literally could have been the difference in a win or two, which as you know are very important when it comes tournament selection time.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:55 AM »
You do an incredible amount of speculation about things you have no knowledge of.  But the problem is really mine. For some stupid reason I still read (some of) your posts.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:35 AM »
I think Wojo should have sat Sandy down and explained what reality was this summer.  I think Wojo played it too cute by a half so to speak. He had an idea Sam and Markus would be strong players, but he wasn't sure, so he hedged his bets and kept Sandy around. Once it became clear Sam and Markus were true studs,  Sandy became disposable.In fact the team is better off without him as minutes allocations are much better. However,  I don't believe you treat college kids as disposable entities.  In this case you walk the kid off the ledge keep him around for the year. It is in every bodies interest. By the way I still think there would have been a handful of occasions Sandy could have played a meaningful role on defense. Sandy literally could have been the difference in a win or two, which as you know are very important when it comes tournament selection time.

Everytime you post it becomes clear what your agenda is.

The article states that Sandy knew during the summer where he stood on the team and wanted to try and stick it out anyway. I'll repeat that in case the rest of us non-geniuses need it repeated - Sandy KNEW this summe "the reality" and CHOSE to try it anyway.

But man. It sucks to have such a de motivator running our team

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »

So your opinion is that coaches should try to run off players if they think there's a good chance that there are other players on the team better than them.

As the article states and I have heard definitively from others, Sandy was well aware of where he was on the depth chart. He decided to try and work through it and earn more time.When he realized after four games that this was going to be tough and take some time, he quit.

Also from reading your response, it seems like you think Wojo kicked Sandy off the team. Sandy absolutely had a spot on this team for the rest of the year. Most likely for the following year too. Sandy decided it was time for Sandy to leave. Not Wojo. He could have stayed to earn his time but he didn't.

I'm still waiting for your credentials. No one else here claims to have a better opinion than anyone else. You say your experience makes your opinion more valuable than 99% of this board. Well, what experience is this? If you are going to make a statement like that, you should be ready to back it up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:07 AM »
I think Wojo should have sat Sandy down and explained what reality was this summer.

That did happen after last season, and Sandy decided to stick it out.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »

So you admit then that you were completely, absolutely, stunningly wrong?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
You do an incredible amount of speculation about things you have no knowledge of. 
And passes it off as if its ironclad Truth. 

But the sooner we all recognize that Tex/Gus/MUFINY (and I suspect Ners sometimes in a "Hoopaloop-loaned-me-his-login sort of way) is invested in performance art and Truthiness the better. 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »

I rarely post on here, but enjoy reading what most of the posters have to say.  In your case, I am always completely astonished at how little insight you have into a Division I athletics program, and yet you claim you have some background and know more than 99% of the posters on here.  Then you submit a post like the one above and show that just the opposite is true.  I was at a very high level as both a Division I athlete and coach, but I would never even begin to try and imply that I know what the EXACT conversations were between Sandy and Wojo.  In general though, I am guessing he was motivating ALL the guys throughout the summer, getting them to understand that this team is going to be deep, our incoming freshmen and transfers are very talented, and if you want to earn playing time, it is going to take hard work.  A program grows by having a lot of depth so that each player knows that if he doesn't work hard, doesn't play defense, isn't a team player, etc. he is not going to get playing time.  When a team has no depth, it is easy for the athletes to get complacent with their current ability level because they know playing time is there whether they improve or not.  None of us, including Wojo, had any idea if Sandy was going to improve enough or not to earn more playing time.  Having two freshmen step in right away and become two of your most reliable players does not happen often and while everyone was hoping this would be the case, nobody could have known they would be this good this quickly.  In Sandy's case, it appears that he did work very hard, but the talent wasn't there for him to earn enough playing time at this level. Wojo gave him his shot and in just a few games it was clear he was the last man on the bench and things weren't going to change.  For you to imply, with all of your supposed knowledge, that Wojo was dishonest with him or treated him poorly, is just plain wrong, especially when it is based on pure speculation about what conversations went on this past summer.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
Sandy seems like a nice kid and I hope he does well wherever he winds up. He simply wasn't a Big-East-Conference-level player. No disgrace.

Well Said. I'm not even sure he's D1. But the mins simply weren't there, and frankly weren't going to be there.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
I rarely post on here, but enjoy reading what most of the posters have to say.  In your case, I am always completely astonished at how little insight you have into a Division I athletics program, and yet you claim you have some background and know more than 99% of the posters on here.  Then you submit a post like the one above and show that just the opposite is true.  I was at a very high level as both a Division I athlete and coach, but I would never even begin to try and imply that I know what the EXACT conversations were between Sandy and Wojo.  In general though, I am guessing he was motivating ALL the guys throughout the summer, getting them to understand that this team is going to be deep, our incoming freshmen and transfers are very talented, and if you want to earn playing time, it is going to take hard work.  A program grows by having a lot of depth so that each player knows that if he doesn't work hard, doesn't play defense, isn't a team player, etc. he is not going to get playing time.  When a team has no depth, it is easy for the athletes to get complacent with their current ability level because they know playing time is there whether they improve or not.  None of us, including Wojo, had any idea if Sandy was going to improve enough or not to earn more playing time.  Having two freshmen step in right away and become two of your most reliable players does not happen often and while everyone was hoping this would be the case, nobody could have known they would be this good this quickly.  In Sandy's case, it appears that he did work very hard, but the talent wasn't there for him to earn enough playing time at this level. Wojo gave him his shot and in just a few games it was clear he was the last man on the bench and things weren't going to change.  For you to imply, with all of your supposed knowledge, that Wojo was dishonest with him or treated him poorly, is just plain wrong, especially when it is based on pure speculation about what conversations went on this past summer.

I agree with this analysis.

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
I'm still waiting for your credentials. No one else here claims to have a better opinion than anyone else. You say your experience makes your opinion more valuable than 99% of this board. Well, what experience is this? If you are going to make a statement like that, you should be ready to back it up.

RÉSUMÉ WATCH

brandx

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
Guys, do not let this guy chica-fy the board. We already had one poster almost destroy us. Do not let this guy matter.

Ignore him!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
RÉSUMÉ WATCH
Will never happen.  When he is called on his nonsense he never answers, just Gish Gallops away to his next factless claim.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Guys, do not let this guy chica-fy the board. We already had one poster almost destroy us. Do not let this guy matter.

Ignore him!
No chance. This board HAS to obsess over a poster; Chicos, Ners, 84, Ners under 4-5 different names, etc. etc. It's part of the fiber of this board.
No Finish Line

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
No chance. This board HAS to obsess over a poster; Chicos, Ners, 84, Ners under 4-5 different names, etc. etc. It's part of the fiber of this board.

Don't forget Canadian Dimes a/k/a MR HEYWARD.  Where's that cat at?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »

Ignore him!

Come on, brandy ... chicos didn't "almost destroy us." Neither did Ners, or anybody else.

We shouted them down often enough, and the mods did their jobs by dropping the hammer. Good effen riddance.

MUFINY shows with almost every post how clueless he is. It's actually become pretty funny. It's all the funnier that he then claims he is the only one who has a clue. But hey, almost that exact attitude got a certain orange-hued cat-grabber elected leader of the free world, so maybe MUFINY is just getting ready for his political career!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that if our coach had Pole-Axed Sandy in the offseason and then a couple of guys got hurt during the weeks leading up to the season, MUFINY would have been screaming bloody murder about Wojo sitting Sandy down and explaining the reality to him.

"How could he de-motivate Sandy? Why didn't he motivate guys to stay healthy? He HAD to know guys could get hurt!!!!!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
Don't forget Canadian Dimes a/k/a MR HEYWARD.  Where's that cat at?

Dimes, aka River Rat used to go after Chicos with a vengeance.  Entertaining

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2016, 09:10:06 PM »
Sandy's transfer is in the best interest of MU.  Any organization needs to drop it's low performers and continually find higher performers.  Sandy wisely saw this and opted out.

We'll soon learn if Sandy is even D1 talent... I suspect he's not but do hope he succeeds.  In an earlier post I hoped he would go to a lower level school, play immediately, play 1.5 years, and really rack up some PT and stats. 

Two people think he's D1 talent... Darner and Sandy... that's what matters I guess.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »
                       ---Al McGuire