[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SEC and ye shall find....victory  (Read 10675 times)

tower912

• All American
SEC and ye shall find....victory
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
1.   Live by the three, die by the jacked up 3 outside of the offense.     KR, JJ, AR.
2.  JJ played a complete game other than that.
3.   The freshmen can play.    Doogie, Markus, the future is bright.  But Markus, you still are only 5'11
4.   Not Pitt redux.    They CAN learn.   They CAN weather a storm on the road. 
5.   Feeling better about Matt going forward, too.   
6.  UGa's zone made MU stand still for a few possessions.   Eventually, MU started moving again.    Paint touches, men.   Flash a shooter to the foul line. 
7.  Getting a win on the road getting virtually nothing from Haanif.    A team effort.   
8.  At least we are making FT's.    It doesn't matter,   ::)       but it does. 
9.  Big.   No other word for it.   Ok, HUGE.   That may be a better word.   
10.   Could just hear the "We are...... MARQUETTE"   chant at the end
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:53:23 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: SEC and ye shall find....victory
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
Huge game and freshmen played big. Johnson continues to be jack of all trades. Hauser is going to be our all-time leading scorer if he doesn't go pro after this year.

Did someone buy Reinhardt a comfy seat on Cyber Monday? He needs a place to sit more often.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
One game does not make a career, but Sam may have a better freshman year than Ellenson did. And I know he will have a better sophomore season.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »
-Why Howard sat after playing first three minutes of game a mystery.  He was fantastic in second half.

- JJJ brutal in first half and played like man possessed in second half.  Besides that one terrible three pointer shot, he ended up with 16 points, 9 rebounds and 5 steals, all in second half.

- May be wrong, but no Carter or Wilson in second half, right?  If so, minimal.

- With Fischer in foul trouble and Cheatham having probably worst game in career (2 points, 4 fouls, 2 turnovers) very nice road win. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »
1. Catchy title, Tower.
2.Didn't get to see the first half because of a stupid flight, but I was surprised to note positive comments re: JJJ. During the part I did see, he seemed to drive repeatedly out of control into the tall timber (which, in all fairness, should just be called a turnover).
3. I've got to say I am having trouble warming to our transfers whose last names start with "R."
4. The younger brother is really better than Sam? Heysoos, Woj, keep those parents happy!
5. When the lead all but evaporated I thought it was deja vu all over again, but the Frosh saved our bacon.
6. Let's get the Rodents!

cschor

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
10...Loved the MU fan support on the road! Great job guys.  For the freshman to play that well in their first road game gives me great hope.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
Tracy made me very nervous at times
Great team effort and tough defense  today

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »
Nice W! Most impressive was the limited minutes from Luke, Hanni playing poorly and JJJ playing out of control. This team could be really good in a couple months.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Offensive versatility
Four double-figure scorers. All 10 players scored in the game. Six players hit at least one three. Opposing coaches and teams can't defend everyone.

Offensive efficiency
We took a lot of threes, probably too many. But we hit 44.8% of them, and finished the game with an eFG% of 56.8%. We also got to the line 17 times in scoring 25 more points against Georgia than Kansas did.

Tough rebounding
Gave up a lot of offensive rebounds, but MU won the battle of the boards. JaJuan, Matt, Luke and Sam combined for 28 rebounds. Georgia had just 31 as a team.

Protecting the ball
After 9 first-half turnovers, Marquette committed only 1 the rest of the way. I'll take 10 turnovers just about any game this season.

Porous defense
Georgia might be the worst 3-point shooting team we face all season. Even so, the Bulldogs put up an eFG% of 55.1% and scored 79 points against us. That kind of defensive performance won't cut it against better opponents.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
Number 5 is a big one.  Heldt played well against a very very good player.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
Number 5 is a big one.  Heldt played well against a very very good player.

Before the start of the season, there were big questions about our defense against teams with dominant post players. We're beginning to get some answers. It's not like we stopped Maten or even really slowed him down. He pretty much got whatever shot he wanted. But Luke, Matt and the rest of the team kept him from taking over the game.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
This is one of those games that just make you feel real good. Generally good play by the team and they are beginning to address a number of issues shown earlier in the season. Also addressed the turnover problem in the second half. This keeps the team in the hunt for a Big Dance bid. That is enough to give us hope and to look forward to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin will be a team at another level and the game is occurring early in the season for us but I look forward to respectability and just maybe some magic.

Go Warriors!
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

fjm

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
Reading A LOT of awesome messages about us being able to compete with WISCONSIN. AWESOME! That's great... but this message board is forgetting a trap game against FRESNO STATE!
Even the scoopers are skipping fresno... hope the players don't.

NEXT GAME:
FRESNO STATE Dec. 6th.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
Reading A LOT of awesome messages about us being able to compete with WISCONSIN. AWESOME! That's great... but this message board is forgetting a trap game against FRESNO STATE!

NEXT GAME:
FRESNO STATE Dec. 6th.

Great point. The quick turnaround makes me nervous. Not much time to game plan.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
First, is Sam's younger brother really better than he is? 

Second, does JJJ make anyone else nuts.  He does so much so well.  Yet for as athletic as he is when he drives I cringe.  He gets blocked more than any player I can remember.  He seems to never make a layup or get fouled when he drives into traffic.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »

NEXT GAME:
FRESNO STATE Dec. 6th.

Yes we the people who don't play one minute or even have direct contact with the team are totally overlooking Fresno state.

On a serious note the defense needs to get so much better.  We had some nice stretches where they packed it in more onthe second half.  I hope we do more of that. 

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
NEXT GAME:
FRESNO STATE Dec. 6th.
great point, well executed game plan against Fresno St will help with being ready for UDub.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:45:05 PM by warriorstrack »

mug644

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
First, is Sam's younger brother really better than he is? 

Second, does JJJ make anyone else nuts.  He does so much so well.  Yet for as athletic as he is when he drives I cringe.  He gets blocked more than any player I can remember.  He seems to never make a layup or get fouled when he drives into traffic.

1. JJJ reminds me of Jerel McNeal in the anxiety he causes me vs. his contributions to the team.

2. Thread title: SEC and ye shall find....victory Bring on Kentucky!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »

Georgia had some good shot blockers, for sure. But JaJuan's aggression on the drive generally leads to good things. And the fact that he's a threat to either: 1) drive to the basket; 2) stop and take a 10-15 foot jumper; or 3) hit an open three makes him much more difficult to defend against overall.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
Very disappointing thread title. I was personally hoping for "Georgia on my mind."

Back on track with this win.  I projected a split in NYC and a loss today.  Beat Fresno St and WI and things are looking good.

We may need to score 80 every game to win.  If the defense improves, look out.  At the very least Marquette will play some entertaining basketball this season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
I want to mention Katin's game.  I thought he played within himself very well contributing on both ends of the floor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »
Very disappointing thread title. I was personally hoping for "Georgia on my mind."

Back on track with this win.  I projected a split in NYC and a loss today.  Beat Fresno St and WI and things are looking good.

We may need to score 80 every game to win.  If the defense improves, look out.  At the very least Marquette will play some entertaining basketball this season.

Tough room.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
10 point victory on the road while clearly not hitting on all cylinders?  Definite good sign.  Haanif with a very poor game and JJJ very hit and miss (excellent rebounding, five steals, but shot just 5-15 and had some questionable decisions) and still beating a decent high major comfortably?  Well done.

Playing the what if game is useless, but what if we hadn't panicked and resorted to hero ball for ten minutes vs. Pitt? Sitting 7-1 right now have looked awfully good.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 05:03:07 PM »
Feedback from Xavier board:

"Attended the Marquette-UGA game today. Really unimpressed with Marquette. I think Luke Fischer gets worse every year and Jujuan Johnson appears to be the only athlete on that team. I am knocking on wood as I type this, but I am finding it really hard to imagine a scenario in which Xavier does not beat them by double digits."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?31362-Games-involving-other-Big-East-Members-2016-2017/page14
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence