[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SEC and ye shall find....victory  (Read 10673 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: SEC and ye shall find....victory
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 10:20:09 PM »
I really liked how JJ turned it on in the second half he had what 6 straight points and 3 steals? Also i liked how rowsey and katin played today both made some nice plays. I dont think i saw TC play in the second half at all? Duane deserved more minutes played pretty good just had one dumb TO. Heldt is improving. Hauser and Howard are future stars.

There has been some discussion in this thread about playing time of Traci, Duane and Markus.

Here's the deal (I think) ...

This is easily the most talent Wojo has had to work with in his three seasons. Like many coaches who have a decent number of interchangeable parts, he has started using the "hot-hand" approach.

We were a little turnover prone in the first half, so Wojo went with Carter over Markus for quite a stretch. Markus played extremely well in the second half and Wojo couldn't stand the idea of taking him out, which limited time for both Duane and Traci. Wojo couldn't get either Sam or JJJ off the floor in the second half, either -- both were too damn good. Plus Wojo wanted to get Rowsey a run, and he played pretty well, again limiting Duane and Traci.

Next game, it might be Duane and Traci getting more time at the expense of Markus and Rowsey.

Oh, and I know we're not allowed to talk about free throws at all because they matter less than zero percent, but it sure is nice having several players who will knock down FTs when we're trying to protect late leads. Theoretically, at least. Because FTs don't matter. (Before the binders full of advanced stats come out, I'm just funnin' here.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:21:12 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
Well stated 82. The best way to earn minutes is to play so well that Wojo dare not sub you out. Let's use Sam as an example.  Coach I'm going to play so well that I'll demand that a graduate Senior back me up. Pick the hot hand. Doesn't have to be shooting either but the best way to find the bench is to turn the rock over. Now go see how many TOs Sam had today in near max minutes.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 05:38:19 AM »
Feedback from Xavier board:

"Attended the Marquette-UGA game today. Really unimpressed with Marquette. I think Luke Fischer gets worse every year and Jujuan Johnson appears to be the only athlete on that team. I am knocking on wood as I type this, but I am finding it really hard to imagine a scenario in which Xavier does not beat them by double digits."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?31362-Games-involving-other-Big-East-Members-2016-2017/page14

Interesting...but lately they should be more concerned with getting beat by double digits themselves.

We'll see what happens on the court soon enough.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
Very disappointing thread title. I was personally hoping for "Georgia on my mind."

Back on track with this win.  I projected a split in NYC and a loss today.  Beat Fresno St and WI and things are looking good.

We may need to score 80 every game to win.  If the defense improves, look out.  At the very least Marquette will play some entertaining basketball this season.

Should have been:   ....The Warriors went down to Georgia, looking for a Dawg to whoop, not in a bind, not once behind, to the relieve of MU Scoop.......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
Should have been:   ....The Warriors went down to Georgia, looking for a Dawg to whoop, not in a bind, not once behind, to the relieve of MU Scoop.......

Tower-

I guess it missed the mark for me.  You've set a high bar; I absolutely loved Commodore 64.

I was expecting something more specific to the opponent than mere conference affiliation.

Georgia on my mind; Peachy keen on victory; The Parthenon Party; Southern Grits (had we defended well); Young pups tame bulldogs; so many possibilities.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 07:56:45 AM »
I only make the easy word plays.   And Commodore 64 wasn't mine.    I wish it had been. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:15:27 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2016, 08:09:35 AM »
Tower-

I guess it missed the mark for me.  You've set a high bar; I absolutely loved Commodore 64.

I was expecting something more specific to the opponent than mere conference affiliation.

Georgia on my mind; Peachy keen on victory; The Parthenon Party; Southern Grits (had we defended well); Young pups tame bulldogs; so many possibilities.

The Parthenon is in Nashville.   ;D

Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
A-thens margin of victory?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
HERE IS AN AMAZING, HILARIOUS (ALBEIT DISGUSTING) STORY FROM MY TRIP TO GEORGIA FOR THE GAME ...

We stayed in a hotel room in which the toilet and shower were in the same part of the bathroom. So being the gentleman I am, when my wife wanted to take a shower and I needed to use the facilities, I went downstairs to the hotel's men's room.

While I was sitting on the toilet, some guy comes into the rest room, tries the stall door and realizes it is occupied. About a minute later I think I hear a little grunting, but I don't really think anything of it.

I finish up shortly thereafter and go out into the main part of the bathroom ... to see a huge dump IN THE URINAL! So I figure I better let a hotel employee know about it.

I go to the front desk and quietly tell the woman there what happened, saying some guy "went" in the urinal. The woman gets a disgusted look on her face and says, "You mean WENT went?" And I say, "Unfortunately, that's exactly what I mean."

How bout that for fun? Pity the employee who had to scoop out that mess!

So ... not long before MU forced Georgia to shyte its proverbial bed, some yahoo shytes a hotel urinal!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Dude, ya gotta part wit some shekels and quit stayin' at da Motel 6, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »
Dude, ya gotta part wit some shekels and quit stayin' at da Motel 6, hey?

No, it was a Residence Inn by Marriott, a decent hotel.

Pretty amazing, yo!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
A-thens margin of victory?

I like it.  My mom is from Athens, WI or as the locals call it "Attins".

I'll help you with Tuesday:  Fres-NOOO!!!! if we lose.  Fres-Yes if we win.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
I was thinking 'Fres-no soup for you'.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
I was thinking 'Fres-no soup for you'.

Boom!  Love it.  Better than mine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
HERE IS AN AMAZING, HILARIOUS (ALBEIT DISGUSTING) STORY FROM MY TRIP TO GEORGIA FOR THE GAME ...

We stayed in a hotel room in which the toilet and shower were in the same part of the bathroom. So being the gentleman I am, when my wife wanted to take a shower and I needed to use the facilities, I went downstairs to the hotel's men's room.

While I was sitting on the toilet, some guy comes into the rest room, tries the stall door and realizes it is occupied. About a minute later I think I hear a little grunting, but I don't really think anything of it.

I finish up shortly thereafter and go out into the main part of the bathroom ... to see a huge dump IN THE URINAL! So I figure I better let a hotel employee know about it.

I go to the front desk and quietly tell the woman there what happened, saying some guy "went" in the urinal. The woman gets a disgusted look on her face and says, "You mean WENT went?" And I say, "Unfortunately, that's exactly what I mean."

So ... not long before MU forced Georgia to shyte its proverbial bed, some yahoo shytes a hotel urinal!

I like Buzz, but still it has to be said......    are you sure it wasn't Buzz and there wasn't an assistant around?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
The win is great and enjoyed.  However, the 49% opponents shhoting percentage continues to indicate our Warriors defensive weaknesses.  Wont go far giving up 49% shooting

MU closed last season by allowing opponents to shoot over 59% in each of the final five regular season games.
Surprisingly, they won two of those five games.

Definitely not a recipe for success, but it can be overcome.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
No, it was a Residence Inn by Marriott, a decent hotel.

Pretty amazing, yo!

Good thing you went upscale.
In a Motel 6, they crap in the sink.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »
1. Catchy title, Tower.
2.Didn't get to see the first half because of a stupid flight, but I was surprised to note positive comments re: JJJ. During the part I did see, he seemed to drive repeatedly out of control into the tall timber (which, in all fairness, should just be called a turnover).
3. I've got to say I am having trouble warming to our transfers whose last names start with "R."
4. The younger brother is really better than Sam? Heysoos, Woj, keep those parents happy!
5. When the lead all but evaporated I thought it was deja vu all over again, but the Frosh saved our bacon.
6. Let's get the Rodents!

Wojo up to his tricks again.  Sibling mind games. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »
Wojo up to his tricks again.  Sibling mind games.

Is that Good or Bad?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
Is that Good or Bad?
All smoke and mirrors
Goal is National Championship

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »
All smoke and mirrors

So that would be Bad and that's the posters opinion.  Thanks.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2016, 09:25:28 PM »
So that would be Bad and that's the posters opinion.  Thanks.
You didn't follow the whole Wally cut episode and all the tweets that were posted here? Thought teal was not needed!
Goal is National Championship

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
You didn't follow the whole Wally cut episode and all the tweets that were posted here? Thought teal was not needed!
I followed it, the Mom mention Smoke & Mirrors, but who do you believe.  From the outside looking in the implications I gather from his mom was Wally was promised things that didn't happen.

On the other side Wojo's  story was Wally was told he would be on the end of the bench.

So, as of now I haven't seen anything to support either story,that makes them  true or false.

If you have some knowledge, maybe you might share.  Thanks

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
I followed it, the Mom mention Smoke & Mirrors, but who do you believe.  From the outside looking in the implications I gather from his mom was Wally was promised things that didn't happen.

On the other side Wojo's  story was Wally was told he would be on the end of the bench.

So, as of now I haven't seen anything to support either story,that makes them  true or false.

If you have some knowledge, maybe you might share.  Thanks

Walter was told he could remain on scholarship but he would need to be as committed to the team as every one of the other scholarship players were.  Walter chose to focus on track and field in the offseason, which resulted in missing team workouts, activities, etc.  And he had every right to.  Just like Wojo had every right to ask him to fully commit himself to the basketball team since he was using up one of his 13 scholarships on him while track and field was getting him for free.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter