Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SEC and ye shall find....victory  (Read 10607 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: SEC and ye shall find....victory
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »
I didn't watch the first half.  (Only the second after watching the Packers.)  Was the starting line up really Luke, Matt, Traci, Haanif and Rowsey?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
Feedback from Xavier board:

"Attended the Marquette-UGA game today. Really unimpressed with Marquette. I think Luke Fischer gets worse every year and Jujuan Johnson appears to be the only athlete on that team. I am knocking on wood as I type this, but I am finding it really hard to imagine a scenario in which Xavier does not beat them by double digits."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?31362-Games-involving-other-Big-East-Members-2016-2017/page14

Outside of the athlete thing, I am not sure he is wrong.  I still don't think Marquette is playing very good defensively.  Really the only chance is to go completely beserk from distance.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »
I didn't watch the first half.  (Only the second after watching the Packers.)  Was the starting line up really Luke, Matt, Traci, Haanif and Rowsey?
nope ESPN f'ed up
Luke, Hannif, Hauser, Howard and Johnson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »

Get your priorities straight man!  Luke, Markus, Sam, JJJ, and Haanif

Edit: Beat to the punch.  Here's the MU box..
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/mugame08.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:10:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »
nope ESPN f'ed up
Luke, Hannif, Hauser, Howard and Johnson
Get your priorities stright man!  Luke, Markus, Sam, JJJ and, Haanif

Thank you.

I was worried Wojo had a stroke or something.

And in my defense, it is easier for me to avoid the Marquette score when watching a Packer game than vice versa. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 05:23:51 PM »
ESPN wants to release the Feldt!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:28 PM »
BTW, what was up with Duane minutes?  Looked like he played pretty well from the boxscore.  I don't think I saw him in the second half.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
BTW, what was up with Duane minutes?  Looked like he played pretty well from the boxscore.  I don't think I saw him in the second half.

Other than a really silly turnover, I though he deserved more game time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
10...Loved the MU fan support on the road! Great job guys.  For the freshman to play that well in their first road game gives me great hope.

My brother-in-law (who managed the Avalanche when my brother owned it) was there cheering on the Warriors!

Slim

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
My brother-in-law (who managed the Avalanche when my brother owned it) was there cheering on the Warriors!
Tell your brother and your brother-in-law that I say thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
The win is great and enjoyed.  However, the 49% opponents shhoting percentage continues to indicate our Warriors defensive weaknesses.  Wont go far giving up 49% shooting
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »
Additionally, while i have been underwhelmed with katins play to this point like most others i think he actually played very well today.  Jacked a couple bad shots during our moment of insanity in the second, when we tried to give the game away, but apart from that brief period i thought he was very good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »
I want to mention Katin's game.  I thought he played within himself very well contributing on both ends of the floor.

He did play very well outside of 3 shots that he needs to start realizing aren't good shots.  He comes in up by 14 with 12 minutes to play and throws up 3s early in the shot clock on back to back possessions.  Sure, they were both *somewhat* open looks, but you can get those types of looks later in the shot clock.  One pass, 3 point shot possessions are what led to us giving up the lead against Pitt.  It almost led to the same result.  Thankfully Wojo saw it (after JJJ's 30 footer after the sweet block), took a timeout and got the guys on the floor he needed to.  Reinhart also took a well contested 3 with about 2 minutes left and about 15 seconds on the shot clock and tried to fall to the ground to get a whistle.

Shooting 3s within the flow of the offense is great.  We have shooters who can make them.  Shooting 3s after 1 pass and a defender in the area?  Pass.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »
He did play very well outside of 3 shots that he needs to start realizing aren't good shots.  He comes in up by 14 with 12 minutes to play and throws up 3s early in the shot clock on back to back possessions.  Sure, they were both *somewhat* open looks, but you can get those types of looks later in the shot clock.  One pass, 3 point shot possessions are what led to us giving up the lead against Pitt.  It almost led to the same result.  Thankfully Wojo saw it (after JJJ's 30 footer after the sweet block), took a timeout and got the guys on the floor he needed to.  Reinhart also took a well contested 3 with about 2 minutes left and about 15 seconds on the shot clock and tried to fall to the ground to get a whistle.

Shooting 3s within the flow of the offense is great.  We have shooters who can make them.  Shooting 3s after 1 pass and a defender in the area?  Pass.

I agree with this analysis. Great shooters can take open or somewhat open 3s whenever possible. Good ones should be more selective. The extra pass (leading to the wide open 3) is important.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Feedback from Xavier board:

"Attended the Marquette-UGA game today. Really unimpressed with Marquette. I think Luke Fischer gets worse every year and Jujuan Johnson appears to be the only athlete on that team. I am knocking on wood as I type this, but I am finding it really hard to imagine a scenario in which Xavier does not beat them by double digits."

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?31362-Games-involving-other-Big-East-Members-2016-2017/page14

From some Big East teams, I may agree, but not Xavier. This isn't last year's XU. They're comparably weak inside and have been at best uninspiring even in their wins. Preseason I thought they were a clear second, but a month later, they look like they'll be fighting for fourth.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »
From some Big East teams, I may agree, but not Xavier. This isn't last year's XU. They're comparably weak inside and have been at best uninspiring even in their wins. Preseason I thought they were a clear second, but a month later, they look like they'll be fighting for fourth.

And we don't see them for 15 more Games.  The neighborhood  might (Will) change by then.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
 Refresh my memory.  Late in the game we had a situation where the shot clock was way down and one of our guys got a defender up in the air drawing contact and getting to the line.  Thinking it was Markus.  Great play.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
Refresh my memory.  Late in the game we had a situation where the shot clock was way down and one of our guys got a defender up in the air drawing contact and getting to the line.  Thinking it was Markus.  Great play.

Katin.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »
And we don't see them for 15 more Games.  The neighborhood  might (Will) change by then.

Very true. Really wish we saw Xavier twice in January like we do Seton Hall and Villanova. Gives the Musketeers too much time to figure it out. Right now, they clearly haven't.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Coach Steve Wojciechowski challenged Jajaun Johnson at halftime to stop playing timidly and give Marquette a better effort.

"I got a little mad, and when I get mad I play better," Johnson said. "When he got on me, it just clicked."

Mind games, ai'na?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »
1.   Live by the three, die by the jacked up 3 outside of the offense.     KR, JJ, AR.
2.  JJ played a complete game other than that.
3.   The freshmen can play.    Doogie, Markus, the future is bright.  But Markus, you still are only 5'11
1. KR and JJ yes. I can live with AR. He is savvy enough to drive the lane and kick for an open three, but coupled with the others, it's bad at times and ill advised. The other two at times try to outdo each other on the worst shot attempt on the worst possible time--for several games now.
2. JJ always seems to play an almost complete game. Waiting for that time when he understands not to chuck up a 25' which is not in flow of the offense. Love his D though. He makes that very simple handoff weave offense work very well.
3. Yeah Marcus is 5'11". So what?
Love that guy. Gamer. He makes the most of it. Let's not handicap his great game/frosh season with 'yeah but he's so short'.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:02:58 PM by We R Final Four »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:06 PM »

Tony,

You related to Archie??

Death on call

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 09:35:39 PM »
I really liked how JJ turned it on in the second half he had what 6 straight points and 3 steals? Also i liked how rowsey and katin played today both made some nice plays. I dont think i saw TC play in the second half at all? Duane deserved more minutes played pretty good just had one dumb TO. Heldt is improving. Hauser and Howard are future stars.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
I really liked how JJ turned it on in the second half he had what 6 straight points and 3 steals? Also i liked how rowsey and katin played today both made some nice plays. I dont think i saw TC play in the second half at all? Duane deserved more minutes played pretty good just had one dumb TO. Heldt is improving. Hauser and Howard are future stars.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2016/12/04/notes-wojciechowski-issues-challenge-half/94975078/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »
Tony,

You related to Archie??

Crash,

No, but I remember him (and his baseball bat) fondly. He was my brother in law's key employee and (I think) day manager. When my brother bought the joint he gave Archie and the other full time bartenders an immediate raise and health insurance (which turned out to be a life saver for him). Archie was a really loyal guy, my brother and brother in law's favorite.

feedback