[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 69297 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #325 on: December 05, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »
This is not a bag on our schedule at all because having a true road game at a "power 5" school is a great move (#exceptRutgers), but did i hear correctly during the Georgia game that so far, other than Kentucky, the SEC only has 2 'quality' wins this year and both are from South Carolina?

I'm too lazy to do the research but assuming true......THAT is a bad conference - both in scheduling and in quality.

Florida beat St. Bonaventure's, Seton Hall, and Miami (FL). St. B's is arguable but the other two are solid.

Arkansas beat UT-Arlington, usually not a good win but this year they will be a top 75 team.

Ole Miss beat UMass, St. Joe's, and Memphis. Depends on your definition of good win.

LSU beat Houston. Maybe a good win?

TAMU beat Buzz' Hokies. That's one good one.

Georgia beat George Washington...meh

Mizzou almost beat Xavier. Does that count?

Tennessee beat Georgia Tech. Power Six conference but not great.

So the statement wasn't correct, but the SEC outside of Kentucky and Florida is pretty abysmal.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:29 AM »
That Delaware State loss was a doozy. Mullin is getting talent, but I'm not convinced at all by his coaching. I know people complain about Wojo, but as far as a game coach he's light years ahead of Mullin right now. I'd love it if them and DePaul combined for 2 Big East wins (each other). If everyone else had 4 wins to start with, that improves the odds of getting 6-8 teams in the NCAAs.

Mullin isn't coaching the team. I wrote about this repeatedly when people in this community praised his hire shortly after it occurred and revisited the topic shortly after last season began. He'll be gone by March 2018.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Florida beat St. Bonaventure's, Seton Hall, and Miami (FL). St. B's is arguable but the other two are solid.

Arkansas beat UT-Arlington, usually not a good win but this year they will be a top 75 team.

Ole Miss beat UMass, St. Joe's, and Memphis. Depends on your definition of good win.

LSU beat Houston. Maybe a good win?

TAMU beat Buzz' Hokies. That's one good one.

Georgia beat George Washington...meh

Mizzou almost beat Xavier. Does that count?

Tennessee beat Georgia Tech. Power Six conference but not great.

So the statement wasn't correct, but the SEC outside of Kentucky and Florida is pretty abysmal.
Thanks - i appreciate the detail (but apparently not enough to look it up myself)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »
Eastern Time

7:00 PM   #1 Villanova vs La Salle   ESPN2  Big 5 game

7:00 PM   Brown at Providence   FOX Sports 2

7:30 PM   Fresno State at Marquette   CBS Sports Network

9:00 PM   Lamar at DePaul      
9:30 PM   Hawai'i vs Seton Hall   FOX Sports 1
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Villanova beat LaSalle in a Big 5 game
DePaul beat Lamar
Providence beat Brown
Seton Hall ahead of Hawaii in a tight road game
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
Butler needs to get its but in gear versus Indiana State down 5 with 3 minutes remaining.

Seton Hall in tight game with Cuonzo and Cal up 47-45 with 8 minutes
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »

Seton Hall in tight game with Cuonzo and Cal up 47-45 with 8 minutes

Another guy we should have hired instead of Wojo. The line is long. I believe Wainwright, Ners and anybody not named Dukiet also are ranked higher than our de-motivating loser.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
Butler = Choke Job

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »
Another guy we should have hired instead of Wojo. The line is long. I believe Wainwright, Ners and anybody not named Dukiet also are ranked higher than our de-motivating loser.
Seton Hall beat Cal and Cuonzo. Butler lost on the road to Indiana State.
                       ---Al McGuire

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:21 PM »
Seton Hall beat Cal and Cuonzo. Butler lost on the road to Indiana State.

Is Butlerscoop.com melting down about now?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »
Creighton beat Nebraska on the road
Xavier lost to Colorado 68-66 on road
                       ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
butler why...
and nice one X.
gonna have 2 ranked teams come conference time. not gonna be a ton of chances to build a reusme

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #338 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:03 AM »
butler why...
and nice one X.
gonna have 2 ranked teams come conference time. not gonna be a ton of chances to build a reusme

Yeah there will be. The Selection Committee won't be looking at rankings come March. This is still one of the at worst top three leagues in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
This is not a bag on our schedule at all because having a true road game at a "power 5" school is a great move (#exceptRutgers), but did i hear correctly during the Georgia game that so far, other than Kentucky, the SEC only has 2 'quality' wins this year and both are from South Carolina?

I'm too lazy to do the research but assuming true......THAT is a bad conference - both in scheduling and in quality.

I believe what they said on the broadcast was that except for Kentucky the SEC has two wins over top 25 teams and they were both SC.  Not sure if accurate, but that is what I remember hearing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
Fordham at St Johns tonight 6:30 eastern FS1. Good inter borough rivalry game.
                       ---Al McGuire

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
Mullin isn't coaching the team. I wrote about this repeatedly when people in this community praised his hire shortly after it occurred and revisited the topic shortly after last season began. He'll be gone by March 2018.

Agreed, is Mullin OK? The one sideline TV shot of all the players talking to each other throughout the time out while Mullin starred at his stat sheet was scary. The TV commentator tried to write it off as a good strategy to sometimes let players talk it out during a game.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2016, 12:24:10 PM »
Agreed, is Mullin OK? The one sideline TV shot of all the players talking to each other throughout the time out while Mullin starred at his stat sheet was scary. The TV commentator tried to write it off as a good strategy to sometimes let players talk it out during a game.
Looks like Marcus LoVett is in a walking boot.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/05/shamorie-ponds-eruption-saves-st-johns-from-further-disgrace/

Local Media is starting to turn on Mullin a bit this year. Big East needs St. Johns to be a competitive team.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »
Local Media is starting to turn on Mullin a bit this year. Big East needs St. Johns to be a competitive team.

Seriously...why? The two biggest market teams right now, DePaul and St. John's, are also the two worst teams. Has that prevented the league from getting teams ranked? No, we've had four different teams ranked this year. Has that prevented the league from getting teams into the tournament? No, we've averaged five NCAA teams per season. Has that prevented the league from television contracts, a marquee tournament venue, top-level recruiting, quality non-conference scheduling, or elite RPI/SOS numbers? No, no, no, no, and no.

The Big East needs teams to be competitive and playing elite basketball. It has that. Maybe Omaha and Indianapolis aren't Chicago and New York, but as long as the teams are competitive with the top leagues and winning at a high level, we'll be fine. The league needs good teams and needs someone to be at the bottom. It has that, which is why it's flourishing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
Seriously...why? The two biggest market teams right now, DePaul and St. John's, are also the two worst teams. Has that prevented the league from getting teams ranked? No, we've had four different teams ranked this year. Has that prevented the league from getting teams into the tournament? No, we've averaged five NCAA teams per season. Has that prevented the league from television contracts, a marquee tournament venue, top-level recruiting, quality non-conference scheduling, or elite RPI/SOS numbers? No, no, no, no, and no.

The Big East needs teams to be competitive and playing elite basketball. It has that. Maybe Omaha and Indianapolis aren't Chicago and New York, but as long as the teams are competitive with the top leagues and winning at a high level, we'll be fine. The league needs good teams and needs someone to be at the bottom. It has that, which is why it's flourishing.

Exactly.

Anyway, Mullin doesn't seem terribly interested IMO. I believe he had to be offered the job more than once and didn't really want to leave the west coast. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »

Exactly.

Anyway, Mullin doesn't seem terribly interested IMO. I believe he had to be offered the job more than once and didn't really want to leave the west coast.

Man, that the message I got from his body language during last year's TV huddle time outs, he seemed just not fully involved.

Maybe it was because of the contrast of Wojo's huddles as it was happening in the same game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »
Big East needs St. Johns to be a competitive team.

Boy, is the Big East unnatural carnal knowledgeed.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »

Instead of saying needs i should have said Big East would benefit etc. I am very much in agreement with what you have laid out above.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »
I'll be honest, I think that 8 good teams and 2 stinkers is ideal. I really don't care which are which, as long as Marquette isn't one of the latter two.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2016, 04:29:34 PM »
I'll be honest, I think that 8 good teams and 2 stinkers is ideal. I really don't care which are which, as long as Marquette isn't one of the latter two.

Yep
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback