[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.  (Read 21064 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »
The Nationals, Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers and Giants all need (or needed in the Giants case) closers, at least.  That is more teams than closers.  There could be a decent market for Robertson.

I have no desire for the Cubs to pay what Jansen and Chapman are going to command.  Those years at that AAV typically turn out horribly.  Maybe these guys are exceptions but I'd rather allocate resources elsewhere. 

Of course, I don't want to have to overpay in a trade again like we did for Chapman but I think that was a special circumstance. 

The prices those guys are going for should make Robertson more appealing though. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »
I have no desire for the Cubs to pay what Jansen and Chapman are going to command.  Those years at that AAV typically turn out horribly.  Maybe these guys are exceptions but I'd rather allocate resources elsewhere. 

Of course, I don't want to have to overpay in a trade again like we did for Chapman but I think that was a special circumstance. 

The prices those guys are going for should make Robertson more appealing though.

Cubs reportedly are talking to KC about Wade Davis.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Cubs reportedly are talking to KC about Wade Davis.

Saw that.  I do like him.  Saw Soler mentioned but hoping that is speculation.  Now I realize Soler's value is down and he has nowhere to play so I'm fine with trading him.  But trading him for one year of a reliever doesn't feel right. 

Cubs have also been reportedly talking to Greg Holland but he is coming off an injury.  Might be worth a roll of the dice. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »
Saw that.  I do like him.  Saw Soler mentioned but hoping that is speculation.  Now I realize Soler's value is down and he has nowhere to play so I'm fine with trading him.  But trading him for one year of a reliever doesn't feel right. 

Cubs have also been reportedly talking to Greg Holland but he is coming off an injury.  Might be worth a roll of the dice.

Boy, maybe my view is skewed, but I saw that and thought "no way Soler is enough to get Davis"

Maybe I am overrating Davis as I have seen him destroy the AL Central the last few years, but that guy is as good a closer as there is this side of Britton. 

His ERA the last 3 years is 1.18, and his WHIP is .892 with 11.5 K/9. 

Oh yeah, and he has completely dominated in the World Series. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:44:20 PM by buckchuckler »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Boy, maybe my view is skewed, but I saw that and thought "no way Soler is enough to get Davis"

Maybe I am overrating Davis as I have seen him destroy the AL Central the last few years, but that guy is as good a closer as there is this side of Britton. 

But you're dealing with the Royals, who aren't going to want to (or be able to) shell out Davis' asking price in 2018, especially with Moustakas, Hosmer and Cain all hitting free agency that year as well.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
But you're dealing with the Royals, who aren't going to want to (or be able to) shell out Davis' asking price in 2018, especially with Moustakas, Hosmer and Cain all hitting free agency that year as well.

Very true, but there are other teams that would want him.  I would think they could get a better deal than Soler. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
I think a Robertson to the Cubs deal makes some sense, I don't think it would happen, but his salary and control make him a solid alternative to what the going rate is dollars/years in the open market.

Sox pitching staff in two-three years has a chance to be really really good. If they could flip Quintana for either a young stud catcher or CF, I'd be stoked. I think Collins eventually is your DH.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
The Nationals, Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers and Giants all need (or needed in the Giants case) closers, at least.  That is more teams than closers.  There could be a decent market for Robertson.

I think the Cubs already have their closer in Hector Rondon.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »

As I'm watching Marquette piss away the lead against Fresno St. I'll respond.

If healthy, Davis is a complete stud. It's not so much about the players vs. the fact that Davis only has one year left on his deal.  I was also hoping Soler could be a piece in a package for a cost-controlled starter.

brandx

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:08 PM »
I found the following headline amusing. Maybe ironic is a better word,

Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Red Sox are now Warriors of MLB

Cashmen couldn't GM himself out of a wet paper bag if he had to survive on a payroll that is $100 million less than what he is able to spend - like the majority of teams have to do.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:29 PM »
I think the Cubs already have their closer in Hector Rondon.

Based on how he was used in the playoffs, Joe Maddon disagrees. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:15 PM »
I found the following headline amusing. Maybe ironic is a better word,

Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Red Sox are now Warriors of MLB

Cashmen couldn't GM himself out of a wet paper bag if he had to survive on a payroll that is $100 million less than what he is able to spend - like the majority of teams have to do.

Cashman should have won executive of the year for how he managed the trade deadline this year. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:51 PM »
Based on how he was used in the playoffs, Joe Maddon disagrees.

That's primarily because he was coming off an injury. He's not elite but he's very good.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:44 AM »
Cashman should have won executive of the year for how he managed the trade deadline this year.

Agreed!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »
Wade Davis is only 31. Even with just a year on his contract, he could be in line for an extension if he pitches well and enjoys Chicago. He played for Maddon in TB so he's familiar with his style. If Davis walks after the season, I'd guess that Edwards steps into the closer role.

I really like Soler but ultimately, he was expendable. The Cubs already have Hayward, Schwarber, Jay, Almora and Szczur as OF and Zobrist, Contreras and Bryant can play out there as well. Soler should do well in KC given a chance to play every day.

EDIT: I had left out Almora.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:13:42 AM by MerrittsMustache »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
Well I was wrong.  Looks like Davis for Soler straight is the deal.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Wade Davis is only 31. Even with just a year on his contract, he could be in line for an extension if he pitches well and enjoys Chicago. He played for Maddon in TB so he's familiar with his style. If Davis walks after the season, I'd guess that Edwards steps into the closer role.

I really like Soler but ultimately, he was expendable. The Cubs already have Hayward, Schwarber, Jay and Szczur as OF and Zobrist, Contreras and Bryant can play out there as well. Soler should do well in KC given a chance to play every day.

Rangers kicking the tires on Szczur as well.  My guess is he's gone.  5 primary outfielders: Schwarber, Almora, Hayward, Zobrist and Jay. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
KC has a whole bunch of players who are going to be unrestricted FA's after 2017.    They know they can't keep all of them.    They are going to be actively seeking to trade WS heroes for young talent that they will have under club control for a few years.     Davis for Soler is just the beginning.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2016, 11:49:41 AM »
KC has a whole bunch of players who are going to be unrestricted FA's after 2017.    They know they can't keep all of them.    They are going to be actively seeking to trade WS heroes for young talent that they will have under club control for a few years.     Davis for Soler is just the beginning.   

Both Cain and Hosmer are FA after next season, and Moose shortly there after. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
Both Cain and Hosmer are FA after next season, and Moose shortly there after.

Moose is also a free agent after the 2017 season. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »
Ah, ok then.  Thought it was the next year. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
White Sox reportedly trade Eaton to Nationals for Lucas Gilito (#1 Nationals prospect/#3 overall), Reynaldo Lopez (#3/#38 overall) and Dane Dunning (#6/NR).
Yabo!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
White Sox reportedly trade Eaton to Nationals for Lucas Gilito (#1 Nationals prospect/#3 overall), Reynaldo Lopez (#3/#38 overall) and Dane Dunning (#6/NR).
Yabo!

Seems like quite a haul.  I had thought I had heard they were going to hold onto Eaton because he would still be under contract for the next time they hoped to be competitive but maybe the Nats overwhelmed them with the offer. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
It takes a lot to stun me...that haul for Eaton is incredibly stunning, I was on a conference call and accidentally said "holy $hit" when I saw it...had some explaining to do

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »
I wonder if the Nats are down on Giolito for some reason.