[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Prayers for an MU alum  (Read 2894 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Prayers for an MU alum
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »
http://www.wkow.com/story/33619591/2016/11/03/4-killed-2-critically-hurt-when-driver-heads-wrong-way-on-i-94-in-dane-county

The driver of the car with the 3 passengers that was hit is an MU alum from a big MU/MUHS family and is a good friend. He is going to make it but has some pretty bad injuries and is going to have a long and (I'd assume) painful recovery ahead. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the passengers were MU alum as well. They were on their way home from a work trip in LaCrosse last night. His wife said he is just finishing up surgery and is doing well "all things considered." They had their first kid within the last year. I'm sure he could use any prayers people have.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
Re: Prayers for an MU alum
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Big time prayers.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Wow, that's awful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Prayers up.   I've seen too many of those.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »
my thoughts and prayers are with them
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »
Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »
Ditto.  And their co-workers.  Just Googling up the firm it has about 20 CPAs.  Not only will they have to grieve but then pick up the pieces as well.  Just terrible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
Aw shiit. Brian is a good guy. He was the same year as me. Hung out a few times throughout the years. Thoughts and prayers. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »
The 4x drunk driver should get as much jail time as the guy randomly firing a gun in town square, which is to say .. a long, long time.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/wrong-way-driver-in-i--crash-that-killed-has/article_769964a8-2ffc-5490-91ef-e00c547c48bc.html

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
bring back the chain gang for four time repeat offenders. young lives snuffed out just as it was beginning

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:51:02 PM »
Just figured I'd provide an update, Brian is expected to make a full recovery.  He has undergone two successful surgeries on his broken femur and was downgraded from the ICU today.  His wife has been providing daily updates on his Caring Bridge page and the doctors seem to be shocked by the level of progress he has already made.  It sounds like he will be in the hospital for at least another week but, not surprisingly to anybody that knows Brian, it sounds like his sense of humor was never touched and he is in great spirits.  Tough as nails kid, long road ahead but Brian's the man.

PS Incredible first baseman for our men's intramural A softball league for our 3 peat.  ;D  6'4" and great athlete, could throw the ball anywhere and he'd snag it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »
I just read the caring bridge site.  The description of his injuries were shocking, heartbreaking, and angering that some awful person could rack up 4 DWIs, do it again, evade police, killing and maiming so many. 

It's astounding that the macro reaction to stuff like this is .. ho hum, just another day in Wisconsin where we can't punish DWI felons too harshly.

Remember that "Wasted in Wisconsin" series the JS did?  They found one DUI death in all 72 of WI's counties and wrote 72 terrible stories.   That was 2008.  That series should have been a call to action.  Almost nothing has changed in 8 years.   >:(

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/30565984.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
1. They are no longer allowed to register a car.

2. Punish those who let them drive their car and get pulled over for DUI.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
He was downgraded from critical care to general care yesterday.  They are hoping to have him transferred to Milwaukee (not sure what hospital, currently at the UW hospital) by the end of this week.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »
God is good.  Thanks to the Scoopers who put in a word with the big man upstairs.  Brian is on his way to recovery.  Figured I'd share his wife's final update on his Caring Bridge since I brought the story to the Scoop Family:

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone! It goes without saying that this Thanksgiving was extra special for Brian, me, and our families.

It was so nice to spend time with family outside of a hospital setting. We were able to go to Brian's aunt and uncle's house and share Thanksgiving dinner with his side of the family. We also spent a lot of time with Brian's siblings and parents playing games and relaxing all weekend long.

After a weekend filled with much gratitude, I couldn't think of a better time to write my final update and end with a few words of thanksgiving.

To our parents: Thank you for instilling in us such strong faith that has carried us through this ordeal. Thank you for standing by our sides and continuing to guide us. Thank you for taking care of Owen so I could focus on caring for Brian.

To our siblings: Thank you for all the time you have spent with us over the past few weeks, for taking off work and making numerous trips to/from Madison and Milwaukee. Thank you for all the love, care, fun, and laughter you brought to the hospital.

To our extended families and friends: Thank you for reaching out in various ways and showing your love and support through prayer. Thank you for the meals and help with household chores.

To Brian's co-workers at Ritz Holman: Thank you for your positivity amidst the tragedy. Thank you for opening your arms to me as well; you all have truly become a second family to us.

To my co-workers and friends at Alexian Village: Thank you for the countless prayers and blessings, including an all night vigil for Brian. Thank you for understanding and allowing me the time to be with Brian.

Finally, to all you readers: Thank you for your overwhelming support and heartfelt comments. We were lifted up by all who followed and cheered on Brian's progress. Reading your messages was always a highlight of our day, and it played an integral part in Brian's healing.

Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts. May God bless all of you during the Christmas season and into the new year.

Much love,
Brian and Kelli

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
  EXCELLENT!! 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »
Prayers up for his recovery.

Despite his physical setbacks, he still has to grieve for the loss of his colleagues.

Tough times still ahead but count him blessed to celebrate the holidays and many more to come.

Keep on livin', Brian!
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
Well, what a surprise .. beer cans (and weed) in the wrong-way driver's car. 

Sure hope this guy heals up nicely so we can imprison him for 4 deaths for the rest of his life.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/troopers-at-wrong-way-i--crash-that-killed-found/article_9ad87385-a795-55f1-b098-68ffcfd12a52.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »
Well, what a surprise .. beer cans (and weed) in the wrong-way driver's car. 

Sure hope this guy heals up nicely so we can imprison him for 4 deaths for the rest of his life.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/troopers-at-wrong-way-i--crash-that-killed-found/article_9ad87385-a795-55f1-b098-68ffcfd12a52.html

Shocker.  Multiple DUIs prior to this in 2 different states, based on social media it looks like he had more than 1 kid with the same woman but that they were (shockingly) no longer together.  Looks like a guy who could be on Jersey Shore.  Sounds like a real keeper.

What is surprising is I had heard from someone second hand that the drunk driver had passed away a few days later.  I don't think they'd have search warrants for homicide if he was dead, so like you I hope he fully recovers and gets to sit in jail for the next 50 years, where he should've already been (well, at least without a license...not that that would've stopped him).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:24:47 AM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »
The guy pleaded not guilty to the 15 charges he faces.  I'm sure that's standard procedure.  Signature bond because he's "not a threat" to not show up for a court hearing and is receiving "brain treatment."  Looks like he may have broken a nose but otherwise looks fine physically.

Drinking at a bar up until an hour before the crash.  Was driving an estimated 93 MPH the wrong direction for over 3 miles before hitting the 2 cars head on.  I would assume there are ways to ensure he doesn't legally get behind the wheel (suspend his license, possibly even take away his vehicle?), but considering this is his third DUI, how does an attorney and/or judge determine he's not at risk of getting behind the wheel while under the influence and take more lives?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
   "how does an attorney and/or judge determine he's not at risk of getting behind the wheel while under the influence and take more lives?"

umm, put him in jail?  sadly, that is about the only "sure" way to prevent this dangerous person from doing harm to anyone again.  taking away his car?  don't make me laugh.  electronic monitoring?  i'm still laughing.  not because it's funny, but because these methods?  they HOPE they work.  if they fail?  is the judge and/or attorney ever held responsible?  our society is way way too lenient with drunken driving. i'm not taliking about someone getting pulled over with a .085.  let's face it, when people continue to drive and get pulled over with .2 and higher-those are not little errors in judgement.  they are a pattern that demands action

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
You could make in-car breathalyzers mandatory on all vehicles. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
You could make in-car breathalyzers mandatory on all vehicles.

You do that, and you'll speed to market the devices to circumvent them, which will be used predominantly by - you guessed it - people who can't seem to stay away from the wheel when they're blitzed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.