[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 1,000 point scorers  (Read 24804 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 1,000 point scorers
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2016, 11:43:06 PM »
Your not willing to lay any blame for our sorry state of affairs on Wojo for his coaching inexperience. You prefer to blame the players. The players work really hard and give it their all. It is the coaches that consistently let the players down in this case.

I want to see Marquette win and win now. I am tired of us being a doormat in the Big East. Wojo needs to get his act together and coach some winning basketball. He has done a good job recruiting , he owes it to the players he is recruiting to be a better game coach.

If we beat Vanderbilt I will gladly eat crow.

If I had to blame anyone, I would blame the Buzz/Larry feud. I don't blame anyone currently in the program. I recognized early and was comfortable with a multiyear rebuild after Buzz left. If you go back and look at my preseason predictions, I have been spot on for Wojo's first two years. I don't expect a first time head coach to be the second coming of Al McGuire in his first few years. I also don't expect a bunch of holdovers from a 17-15 team that lost their best players and their coach to suddenly transform into a tournament team.

I don't set unrealistic expectations for a program that is in rebuild. What I do expect is improvement from the coach, every player, and the team as whole every year. I saw Wojo improve from year one to year two. I saw all of the players improve. I saw the program improve from 13 wins to 20 despite the 7th youngest roster in the nation. That's a helluva a feat for both the coaches and the players. And all signs point towards the team being even better this season. If this ends up true, I'm a happy camper.

You would have us believe that there is some great conflict between Wojo and the players. That sides must be taken. What you fail to realize is that Wojo and the players are on the same side. They have bought into his system and will be better for it. There were past players who didn't buy in and found their way to other universities. That happens in a coaching change and those players should leave if they can't buy in. I wish all of those players well.

I find it ironic that in the superbar you are railing against Helicopter parents. One of the most classic signs of a helicopter parent is supporting the student over the teacher no matter the circumstance. You have taken up the cause of the few players who are no longer in the program who didn't buy into Wojo's system and decided to transfer. You are the helicopter parent of MU transfers.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 07:07:03 AM »
The players work really hard and give it their all. It is the coaches that consistently let the players down in this case.

If only Wojo and his staff worked hard and gave it their all...buncha slackers
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 07:25:03 AM »
I am going to change the direction of the argument. Two years ago is water over the dam. The real question is Wojo improving as a coach and I think has. I think he had to learn how to coach a team that is not full of McDonald's all-americans.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
Bilsu, I think he has improved.  An analogy.  The first two years, he has shown me that he is a good cook who can run a kitchen at a 4 star restaurant.  He has not shown me that he is a gourmet chef who's name alone is enough to make a restaurant destination dining.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »
I am going to change the direction of the argument. Two years ago is water over the dam. The real question is Wojo improving as a coach and I think has. I think he had to learn how to coach a team that is not full of McDonald's all-americans.
True

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Thought I'd add an update on this one. Probably should have after non-con play, but let's see where we stand:
  • Luke Fischer, 871 career points: Luke has scored 834 of those at Marquette. On his current 13.1 ppg pace, he would pass the 1,000 point mark at DePaul on February 4, and would pass 1,000 points as a Marquette player on February 17 at home against Xavier.
  • Jajuan Johnson, 821 career points: At his current 13.8 ppg pace, JJ will pass the 1,000 career point mark on February 17 at home against Xavier.
  • Duane Wilson, 838 career points: Duane is well off the pace as of right now due to his 5.7 ppg average. He will have to up his scoring average if he wants to hit 1,000 this year, as his best case scenario at his current pace would have him finishing the season with 998 points, and only then if we play 4 games in the Big East Tournament (losing in the finals), make the NCAAs in the play-in games, and make it to the NCAA Championship game.
  • Haanif Cheatham, 552 career points: He was always a long-shot, and he'd need the same scenario as Duane above while averaging over 17.2 ppg (well above his current 12.4 ppg). Have to wait until next year for Haani.
My expectation right now is that Luke and JJ will both hit 1,000 in February, giving the team 4 guys that are career 1,000 point scorers (Rowsey and Reinhardt). For Duane to realistically join them this year, he would have to average over 8 ppg the rest of the year and hope for a few extra games in March. Not impossible, but with current trends I expect he'll be hitting that milestone next season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
Bilsu, I think he has improved. An analogy. The first two years, he has shown me that he is a good cook who can run a kitchen at a 4 star restaurant. He has not shown me that he is a gourmet chef who's name alone is enough to make a restaurant destination dining.

Love this analogy — didn't see the post earlier.

Since Wojo identifies as a blue-collar guy, he might prefer something along the lines of a journeyman carpenter (a working tradesman who's completed an apprenticeship) versus a master carpenter or craftsman.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »
My guess is that Wilson has one or two games where he hits 20 points, especially if Howard or Johnson miss a game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
Time for another update. Both Luke and JJ fell off the pace that would have had them passing 1,000 this past Saturday on National Marquette Day.
  • Luke Fischer, 1,005 career points: Congrats to Luke on surpassing the 1,000 career point mark against Georgetown. 37 of those points were scored at Indiana, which means he is 32 points away from reaching 1,000 in a Marquette uniform. On his current season pace, he will eclipse that mark on the road at Xavier, though it could also come on Senior Day.
  • Jajuan Johnson, 936 career points: Including Saturday's DNP, JJ has slumped hard, averaging 6.7 ppg in Marquette's last 7 games, which is less than half his season average last time we checked in. On his current season pace of 11.8 ppg, he would pass 1,000 in either our second game at MSG or in our first postseason game if we make it that far. If he doesn't break out of his slump, he will likely come up short unless we make a couple deep runs at MSG and in a postseason tournament.
  • Duane Wilson, 889 career points: Duane will almost certainly have to wait for next year. If he were to double his current season average of 5.2 ppg, he would still need 11 games to surpass 1,000 this year. While I'm sure every Marquette fan would sign up for Duane leading a run to the Big East Final and a Sweet 16, he'll likely need his senior year to reach this mark.
  • Haanif Cheatham, 660 career points: Quite simply, not going to happen, though if he keeps up his current pace, he should have a relatively easy path to 1,000 as a junior.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »
JJ might get 1000

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:59 AM »
Haanif Cheatham, 660 career points: Quite simply, not going to happen, though if he keeps up his current pace, he should have a relatively easy path to 1,000 as a junior.

Depends on whether he will keep his starting job next year..

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 08:05:58 AM »
Haanif Cheatham, 660 career points: Quite simply, not going to happen, though if he keeps up his current pace, he should have a relatively easy path to 1,000 as a junior.

Not necessarily. Even if he is sixth man next year he still has a decent head start over what Luke and Johnson had their freshmen years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 09:03:39 AM »

His current pace of 10 ppg would put him at 720 assuming 6 more games. That would mean he would have to average 8.5 ppg next year.

This year, the addition of guards and wings like Rowsey, Reinhardt, and Howard chipped into DuWil's minutes. Who will chip into Haanif's, especially as JJ and Reinhardt graduate? Jamal Cain is the only contender, and that still leaves HC playing more, not less.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
His current pace of 10 ppg would put him at 720 assuming 6 more games. That would mean he would have to average 8.5 ppg next year.

This year, the addition of guards and wings like Rowsey, Reinhardt, and Howard chipped into DuWil's minutes. Who will chip into Haanif's, especially as JJ and Reinhardt graduate? Jamal Cain is the only contender, and that still leaves HC playing more, not less.
I see two ways his minutes get limited. One would be if Cain is actually very good. The most likely is that Hauser moves to small forward from power forward.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2017, 07:51:57 AM »
Post Xavier II update. Fischer and JJ are the only candidates left to reach 1,000 points in a Marquette uniform this season.
  • Luke Fischer, 986 Marquette points: Luke will have a shot against Creighton, but on his season pace will get to 1,000 in a Marquette uniform in the Big East Tournament, though with his recent slump he may need a NCAA/NIT game.
  • Jajuan Johnson, 971 career points: JJ is on pace to reach 1,000 in three games. That would either be the Big East Tournament or in the NCAA/NIT. It would take a huge senior day effort (and career high in points) to get there before the postseason.
  • Duane Wilson, 895 career points. It would take a massive shift in his role and a deep tournament run. Duane isn't hitting 1,000 this year, which is a bit shocking considering where he started the season.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
Interesting info

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 09:57:55 AM »
  • Duane Wilson, 895 career points. It would take a massive shift in his role and a deep tournament run. Duane isn't hitting 1,000 this year, which is a bit shocking considering where he started the season.
Why not?  If he averages 10 ppg over the next ten (Creighton, 3 in NYC, 6 in NCAA) that would just about do it.  I smell a Swaggy Du buzzer beater to win the Big Dance AND go over 1000 points coming!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
Well he was 0-3 on layups yesterday
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
Why not?  If he averages 10 ppg over the next ten (Creighton, 3 in NYC, 6 in NCAA) that would just about do it.  I smell a Swaggy Du buzzer beater to win the Big Dance AND go over 1000 points coming!

I'd happily take it, but he's scored double digits just 5 times this year, and only twice since the beginning of conference play. But hey, who wouldn't take a run to the NCAA title game?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
At halftime on Senior Night, both Jajuan and Luke are on pace to reach 1,000 career points today.

• Luke Fischer, 993 Marquette points: Luke had 7 points early today and is now just 7 away from 1,000 points in a Marquette uniform.
  • Jajuan Johnson, 989 career points: JJ with a monster first half, draining 4 threes on his way to 18 points. What looked like something that would have to wait until the postseason is now within reach today.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »
Luke now sitting at 999 with Marquette. JJJ at 991 both should get there soon.

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Luke is 1 point and 5 rebounds away from becoming the third member of the 1000 point, 500 rebound, 100 block club.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
I thought I'd revive this with new candidates to get to 1,000 career points at Marquette in the 2017-18 season. We have only two real candidates to get there. Sam Hauser would have to average 22.6 ppg with Marquette making it to both the Big East Tournament final and the Sweet 16 to have a shot. I don't see any way he increases his average by 9 points the rest of the way, so we're left with our backcourt:

• Markus Howard, 635 points: Howard has 635 career points through 10 games of his sophomore year. With his current 22.5 ppg scoring average, he is on pace to eclipse 1,000 points on February 17 at Creighton. While he may see his scoring average tail off a bit in conference play, it seems likely that Marquette will play at least 32 games this season (1 BET, 1 postseason) since currently a 16-15 record would land a RPI around 75 and SOS of 27, which is likely good enough for the NIT, and MU has a good shot to eclipse that record. That means Howard only has to average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way to assure himself 1,000 points as a sophomore. Has any MU player ever done that before? I'm sure Brute Force did it in two years, but not sure about the true sophomore aspect.
  • Andrew Rowsey, 589 points: Rowsey has 589 points at Marquette and is averaging 21.8 ppg this year. At that rate, he would eclipse 1,000 points in the penultimate game at Georgetown. Not impossible to think he could do it on his senior night as well. If we assume 32 games this season, Rowsey has to average 18.7 ppg the rest of the way to reach 1,000. It's a harder road for him, but not impossible, and would make him a 1,000 point scorer at two different schools (he had 1,244 at UNC-Asheville).
My guess at this point, Howard will get there, Rowsey will depend on how far we go in March tournaments. I expect both of their scoring averages to drop come conference play, but it could be an interesting February and March for stat watchers.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
I thought I'd revive this with new candidates to get to 1,000 career points at Marquette in the 2017-18 season. We have only two real candidates to get there. Sam Hauser would have to average 22.6 ppg with Marquette making it to both the Big East Tournament final and the Sweet 16 to have a shot. I don't see any way he increases his average by 9 points the rest of the way, so we're left with our backcourt:

• Markus Howard, 635 points: Howard has 635 career points through 10 games of his sophomore year. With his current 22.5 ppg scoring average, he is on pace to eclipse 1,000 points on February 17 at Creighton. While he may see his scoring average tail off a bit in conference play, it seems likely that Marquette will play at least 32 games this season (1 BET, 1 postseason) since currently a 16-15 record would land a RPI around 75 and SOS of 27, which is likely good enough for the NIT, and MU has a good shot to eclipse that record. That means Howard only has to average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way to assure himself 1,000 points as a sophomore. Has any MU player ever done that before? I'm sure Brute Force did it in two years, but not sure about the true sophomore aspect.
  • Andrew Rowsey, 589 points: Rowsey has 589 points at Marquette and is averaging 21.8 ppg this year. At that rate, he would eclipse 1,000 points in the penultimate game at Georgetown. Not impossible to think he could do it on his senior night as well. If we assume 32 games this season, Rowsey has to average 18.7 ppg the rest of the way to reach 1,000. It's a harder road for him, but not impossible, and would make him a 1,000 point scorer at two different schools (he had 1,244 at UNC-Asheville).
My guess at this point, Howard will get there, Rowsey will depend on how far we go in March tournaments. I expect both of their scoring averages to drop come conference play, but it could be an interesting February and March for stat watchers.
Nice bump.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
Rowsey could have had the all time record if he started here. ha. If Howard stays all 4, he'll break Mcneal's.

feedback