[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sports Broadcasters  (Read 4223 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Sports Broadcasters
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
I always find the hate for Joe Buck (particularly) and Troy Aikman interesting.  I find them both pretty knowledgeable and, in my opinion, pretty fair in their calls.  I find it interesting that literally just about every NFL fan out there feels like Joe Buck hates their team.  I personally don't see it.

So just a curiosity question, who are some sports broadcasters that you like and who are some that you don't like?  It could be individuals or it could be the team.  Might as well expand it to the studio crews as well.

Ian Eagle became one of my favorites after he called the Marquette vs. Davidson NCAA Tournament game and then I heard him calling more NFL games after that.  I love listening to Reggie Miller on NBA games.  I like Gumble because it's always NCAA Tournament time with him and that's my favorite time of year.  The NBA on TNT crew is great.  I actually really like Bart Scott in the studio, and on the whole I like both of the NFL pregame studio crews.  Jay Bilas is great.  Many won't know them but I like Sunderland and Marlowe calling volleyball matches.

I can't stand Dakic, Gruden, or Vitale.

And of course Tomas is the GOAT.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:16:44 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Sports Broadcasters
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
Love Rafferty, Bilas, Bob Knight & Gus Johnson in BBall.  John Miller in baseball.

Can't stand Buck -- baseball since he always seem to choose a side & then he solidified my dislike in football when he acted like Randy Moss traumatized children and the whole nation when he fake mooned packer fans - get a grip helen lovejoy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:23:03 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
I don't mind Joe Buck either, but think he is much better at football than baseball.  I think they should just use Thom Brennaman for baseball entirely.  He is good at football, but much better at baseball.

Some other thoughts:

Sean McDonough is fantastic.  Could be my favorite play by play guy in all of sports - smart and isn't afraid to throw some opinion in there.  Too bad he is on MNF now instead of college because I rarely watch MNF. 

Al Michaels is starting to sound old and crabby.  Mike Tirico should just be given his spot next year.

The over-the-top stuff from people like Vitale and "Goose" has gotten stale. Glad to see it might be going away.  Madden did some of that, but his excitement always seemed genuine and not just an act.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
Also forgot to mention Costas is great.

And Barnett for volleyball is good as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
Can't stand Buck -- baseball since he always seem to choose a side & then he solidified my dislike in football when he acted like Randy Moss did traumatized children and the whole nation when he fake mooned packer fans - get a grip helen lovejoy.

That was horrible. To his credit, I think Buck has significantly improved in the last few years. He seems actually excited to call the game. What a concept.

For a broadcaster, especially a play-by-play guy, all I ask is that they are accurate, excited and don't shill. And, as much as people moan about them, I think most accomplish this.

As far as stand outs, I always liked Mike Tirico, Ian Eagle, Mike Breen and Kevin Harlan.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Sean McDonough is fantastic.  Could be my favorite play by play guy in all of sports - smart and isn't afraid to throw some opinion in there.  Too bad he is on MNF now instead of college because I rarely watch MNF. 

Al Michaels is starting to sound old and crabby.  Mike Tirico should just be given his spot next year.

Spot on with McDonough. Too bad he works with Gruden.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »
Also don't like Jaws.  He annoys me for some reason.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
I'm not a big hockey guy, but I think Doc Emrick is great.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
I always find the hate for Joe Buck (particularly) and Troy Aikman interesting.  I find them both pretty knowledgeable and, in my opinion, pretty fair in their calls.  I find it interesting that literally just about every NFL fan out there feels like Joe Buck hates their team.  I personally don't see it.

IMO, that means an announcer is doing a good job of being unbiased.

McDonough is excellent. Harlan is vastly underrated. I've really enjoyed John Smoltz on the Fox MLB broadcasts.

He's not national, but Pat Hughes is as good as it gets for a baseball radio broadcast.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
I'm not a big hockey guy, but I think Doc Emrick is great.
Emrick is awesome.

Joe Buck is good when he's analyzing the game but he has a clear bias in baseball against the AL and specifically KC (just another Card fan who can't let '85 go).

Raftery is great - sometimes he's playing the character 'Bill Raftery' too much and not the announcer but that's the minority.  I'm also OK with Nantz

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Too bad Vin Scully retired. Of course my favorite all time broadcasters are none other than Dick Enberg and Al. Everyone else just so so.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:40:44 PM by muwarrior69 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
I actually knew someone at Marquette who was family friends with Joe Buck. She said that he would always bitch and swear about certain teams, but mostly Chicago teams.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
I'm down wit Erin. So hot, want ta touch da heine, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
I will admit to turning the sound off on more than one occasion when Buck is announcing, but I don't hate him.  I find it a little fascinating that you could listen to the local radio talk show for both teams the morning after his broadcast and you will probably hear fans from both sides equally convinced that Buck hates their team the most of any team in any sport and that he must be in a romantic relationship with the star of the other team.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »

I can't stand Dakic, Gruden, or Vitale.

Dakic comes across as a real jerk.

But, his analysis is as good if not better than anyone in college hoops.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
There are a bunch more announcer posts in this thread of 2015:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47440.msg725549#msg725549

I actually like Troy Aikman. Dan Fouts is a fun listen just for his sheer nonsensical add ons....not a deep thinker lol.
 Al Michaels/Collingsworth is also a good current team
Musberger and Vitale have me reaching for the remote...ugh
I never liked VanGundy as a Rockets coach, but as an announcer he isnt bad...even funny sometimes
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »
There are a bunch more announcer posts in this thread of 2015:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47440.msg725549#msg725549

I actually like Troy Aikman. Dan Fouts is a fun listen just for his sheer nonsensical add ons....not a deep thinker lol.
 Al Michaels/Collingsworth is also a good current team
Musberger and Vitale have me reaching for the remote...ugh
I never liked VanGundy as a Rockets coach, but as an announcer he isnt bad...even funny sometimes

Sweet, thanks.  Michaels, Lundquist, Raftery, and Marv Albert are all good adds.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
Ian effin Eagle

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
Vince Lloyd, Lou Boudreau, and Milo Hamilton.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
Ian Darke is fantastic as a soccer announcer. In this current WS, Smoltz is growing on me. He's a bit dry, but very knowledgeable. For basketball, I love the enthusiasm of Gus Johnson, that call for our game with Syracuse will be forever a favorite (though as a soccer announcer, not so much). Doc Emrick is as good as they come. One of the all-time greats.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »
sorry for potential derail of the topic but this is a broadcast related question and specifically an announcer related question:

Does anyone know why the electronic strike zone isn't shown early in games?  I think it is the 'optimal' strike zone and isn't being fine tuned to how the Ump is calling the game.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 07:57:51 PM »
Thomas Bilde or GTFO

Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
By the way he's not a broadcaster but each of the past 2 years he's been a guest for MLB Playoffs. Chris Archer is super sharp, does his homework, obviously knows his stuff, and is very well spoken. I really love listening to him. He has a future career in it if he wants it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
I want a knowledgeable analyst who explains/points out things average fan doesn't know.

Color/play by play should be everything else.

Dislike Phil Simms, Dan dierdorf

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:12 PM »
Vince Lloyd, Lou Boudreau, and Milo Hamilton.

Milo "why don't they love me like they love Harry" effin Hamilton? No thanks.