[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Dome  (Read 13764 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: MU Dome
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
What alternatives do you have if you want a structure that you can completely take down once the weather is nice?  Are there any practical ones?

This is a great recruiting tool for soccer and lacrosse.  I am sure that have lost some great prospects who loved everything about Marquette, but they didn't want to freeze their a$$es off during practice and games.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »
I couldn't care much less about winning this argument: A) it sounds like a done deal — so my opinion means pretty much zero; 2) I pay almost no attention to Marquette sports outside of men's basketball; And D) it's in a part of Milwaukee that I rarely visit, so it's not like I'll have to see that eyesore every day or anything.

But think about the hundreds of millions of dollars that Marquette has spent upgrading its campus facilities over the past 25 years — including a new student union, library, law school, engineering hall, student services building, Al McGuire Center and a beautiful soccer stadium (recently renovated) at Valley Fields.

None of these facilities were designed or built as inexpensive, temporary solutions. This winter dome seems like a cheap fix. And that's not usually Marquette's style.

Again, you may disagree on any or all of the above. Fine by me.

thank goodness that it's a done deal... because with all your involvement with Marquette's athletics, i'm sure they would have pulled the whole plug on the project because you don't like the look. 

You basically say in your post that you don't care about the valley or MU sports outside of basketball, but then rain all over a temporary dome to improve the life of many Marquette student athletes.  sounds like you just complain for the sake of complaining.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »
I would add — beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

From the opinions I've heard and read, I'm among a minority who appreciate The Calling (the big orange I-beam sculpture at the east end of Wisconsin Avenue) as a work of art. To me, its bright color and form suggest an abstract sunrise — which, along with its dynamic angles and rugged construction, serves as an optimistic symbol for Milwaukee.

Others think it's just plain ugly. Or a giant waste of money. Or both.

I like it too.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »
This is the key...temporary...

Bill Scholl, vice president and director of athletics. “As we continue to plan for our athletic performance research center, it was important that we take a more immediate step in meeting the demand of our increasingly active student body.”

I mean, I can't prove that they'll stop using it after the APRC is completed, but I read it to say they didn't want to wait that long.

Soccer and lacrosse have been severely handicapped because of Wisconsin winter weather and have still been able to compete at the highest level.  I'll bet each and every one of those kids is pumped.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 03:14:11 PM »
What alternatives do you have if you want a structure that you can completely take down once the weather is nice?  Are there any practical ones?

This is a great recruiting tool for soccer and lacrosse.  I am sure that have lost some great prospects who loved everything about Marquette, but they didn't want to freeze their a$$es off during practice and games.

I know next to nothing about Marquette's soccer and lacrosse programs. But this sure sounds like poor planning to me.

The soccer stadium goes back to 1993, and recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation. So after 20 years and perhaps $20+ million invested, MU just now realized the need for a year-round facility? There's something called a needs assessment that's supposed to help identify current and future priorities before you start a building project.

But hey — if the soccer and lacrosse teams are happy, more power to them. They won't be concerned in the least what I think about their dome.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »
thank goodness that it's a done deal... because with all your involvement with Marquette's athletics, i'm sure they would have pulled the whole plug on the project because you don't like the look. 

You basically say in your post that you don't care about the valley or MU sports outside of basketball, but then rain all over a temporary dome to improve the life of many Marquette student athletes.  sounds like you just complain for the sake of complaining.

Actually, I hate to complain. I'm an optimist at heart. And I'm a big fan of all the improvements that Marquette has made since I graduated. I drive through the campus of my alma mater every night on my commute home and enjoy it tremendously. And while I don't follow MU soccer or lacrosse, I'm glad that we have a strong, diverse athletic program.

I just happen to think this particular dome is ugly. That's all. The same as I thought the Astrodome, Metrodome and Kingdome were all ugly. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:22:20 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
3.5 million is about the right price for a facility that dramatically improves playing/practice conditions for non-revenue sports.   MU is not a state school that can tap into public money for infrastructure upgrades.

MU has indeed been successful in funding significant improvements on campus, those improvements, with the exception of the Al, have been oriented towards core functions of the university (who am I kidding, hoops is a core function of MU ;) ).  The proposed sports bubble seems like a solid and economical upgrade for a university that has fewer than 15K students.

Not everything needs or should be a Taj Mahal.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
Well said Badger.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
It's a practice field...in the Valley.  The form matters little to the function in this case.  It is a highly functional tool that will greatly enhance the options for outdoor sports.  Perhaps with some exterior lighting they can make it look a little nicer, but ultimately, it is a versatile indoor practice space.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
I would add — beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

From the opinions I've heard and read, I'm among a minority who appreciate The Calling (the big orange I-beam sculpture at the east end of Wisconsin Avenue) as a work of art. To me, its bright color and form suggest an abstract sunrise — which, along with its dynamic angles and rugged construction, serves as an optimistic symbol for Milwaukee.

Others think it's just plain ugly. Or a giant waste of money. Or both.

That thing is a piece of chit sittin' in da way of da world class Calatrava and should be blow torched. Nothing more than 6 I beams stuck together and an embarrassment with no artistic significance, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »
I get that. I just don't see Marquette applying that same standard — it's cheap, functional and temporary, who cares how it looks — to any other highly visible campus facilities.

Maybe instead of an expensive new student dormitory that fits in with the campus architectural style, we should just line up a bunch of temporary trailers along Wisconsin Avenue during the fall and spring semesters. We don't need them in the summer when students aren't in session, right?

Marquette has clearly made architecture an important part of its brand — a balance of functionality and aesthetics. In that regard, this "solution" for the soccer field is a failure. Just my opinion.

"Other highly visible" since when has valley fields been highly visible? I barely noticed it in college and completely forget it exists now. If this means more students can use it I am all for it.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 05:48:18 PM »
Heard the earlier renditions looked lumpier.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
Wonder if club sports can use it as well. I only played club lax for freshman and sophomore year before focusing on my boxing but I remember the nightmare of shoveling the field
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
I know next to nothing about Marquette's soccer and lacrosse programs. But this sure sounds like poor planning to me.

The soccer stadium goes back to 1993, and recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation. So after 20 years and perhaps $20+ million invested, MU just now realized the need for a year-round facility? There's something called a needs assessment that's supposed to help identify current and future priorities before you start a building project.

But hey — if the soccer and lacrosse teams are happy, more power to them. They won't be concerned in the least what I think about their dome.

I think its because Lacrosse and soccer have both been getting bigger and bigger in the last couple years at Marquette (The former much more) and they are now looking at ways to improve it and maybe make it profitable?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »

We came close to losing our well respected and successful lacrosse coach to Princeton. This is one of the facilities we needed to put in place to sign him to an extension.  It is only a temporary thing and soccer, lacrosse and track will be able to benefit from it as well as club sports and the general student population.

All the Power 5 schools have facilities like this, so I think it is a big plus for us overall. It is going to take some time to get the money raised for the permanent field house.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
Wonder if club sports can use it as well. I only played club lax for freshman and sophomore year before focusing on my boxing but I remember the nightmare of shoveling the field

Sounds like it.

Quote from: article link=topic=5472.msg867637 date=1477695115
The seasonal dome, which will provide practice and training facilities for intercollegiate athletes as well as club and intramural participants

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 09:42:32 PM »

That thing is a piece of chit sittin' in da way of da world class Calatrava and should be blow torched. Nothing more than 6 I beams stuck together and an embarrassment with no artistic significance, hey?

Wrong.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
I have seen this done at other schools.  It is actually pretty cool.

http://athletics.augsburg.edu/sports/2009/11/4/auggiedome.aspx/

I agree with this analysis.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
Here .. much more aesthetically pleasing!

that looks much better, just hope it doesn't offend anyone  ;) think poto is good with that?
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
this would be a bummer though, EyN'a?

don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »

Wrong.

'Spose ya dug the blue denim shirt dat used ta be displayed at Mitchell too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »

'Spose ya dug the blue denim shirt dat used ta be displayed at Mitchell too, hey?

I did.

The lack of public art in Milwaukee is appalling for a city of its size. But when people are more concerned about cost than worth, that's what you get.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:27 AM »

I did.

The lack of public art in Milwaukee is appalling for a city of its size. But when people are more concerned about cost than worth, that's what you get.

Apparently you've never been to Art's.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »

"dug" it?  He11, yes, blue denim is a staple in my wardrobe.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
Here .. much more aesthetically pleasing!

+1