[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:01:35 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry- It's official!  (Read 11390 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Henry- It's official!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
MM nailed it.
No connection at all. Unlike the other NBA players, HE and fam never seemed to be playing for the name on the front of the jersey. Doubt we will see HE sporting MU gear.

Was it HE's fault the rest of the team just wasn't that good? No.
But he certainly knew the roster before he made a college choice.
Being allowed to be a star on a mediocre team was something that fit his plan on the road to the NBA.

In what way?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
In the way that Jimmy Butler wears MU gear and speaks well of MU any chance that he gets. D Wade applies....Wes Matthews applies. Steve Novak applies.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
Was it HE's fault the rest of the team just wasn't that good? No.
But he certainly knew the roster before he made a college choice.
Being allowed to be a star on a mediocre team was something that fit his plan on the road to the NBA.

I am confused by your point here.  Are you saying it is HE's fault that you/others don't feel connected to him because he chose MU knowing we would stink? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
In the way that Jimmy Butler wears MU gear and speaks well of MU any chance that he gets. D Wade applies....Wes Matthews applies. Steve Novak applies.

That's not at all what you said.  You said Hank and his family never seemed to be playing for the name on the front of the jersey, which would mean you were talking about his time playing for Marquette University, not his time playing in the pros and how he endorses Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »
I believe that HE will not be wearing MU gear........now that he is in the pros....therefore affirming my position that HE was playing for HE not MU.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
I am confused by your point here.  Are you saying it is HE's fault that you/others don't feel connected to him because he chose MU knowing we would stink?
No--referring to earlier post that it wasn't HEs fault that his surrounding cast sucked. My point was HE knew who his surrounding cast prior to stepping on campus.
I don't feel connected to HE......not blaming him as I'm quite sure it was not a top priority of his to feel the connection to me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:54:07 PM by We R Final Four »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »
I feel the same way about HE.  Wish him well but not nearly as connected as JFB, Jae, DWade, etc.  I'll be watching the Bulls-Celtics tonight for my Warrior NBA fix!!

At the game, wearing an MU shirt and hat hoping some people get the reference
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
No--referring to earlier post that it wasn't HEs fault that his surrounding cast sucked. My point was HE knew who his surrounding vast prior to stepping on campus.
I don't feel connected to HE......not blaming him as I'm quite sure it was not a top priority of his to feel the connection to me.

Got it thanks.  I think you may have been responding to me...wasnt trying to say 'poor Henry' as much as saying I wish I could have seen him on a better team.  I would have appreciated his talent more in that situation - because IMO he had a lot.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
Got it thanks.  I think you may have been responding to me...wasnt trying to say 'poor Henry' as much as saying I wish I could have seen him on a better team.  I would have appreciated his talent more in that situation - because IMO he had a lot.
I agree with your analysis completely.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
I believe that HE will not be wearing MU gear........now that he is in the pros....therefore affirming my position that HE was playing for HE not MU.

I don't think the 2 are related.  I've seen Wade wearing more Harvard and Indiana gear as I've seen him wearing Marquette gear since Crean left Marquette.  I don't think I've ever seen Jae wearing Marquette gear since he left Marquette.  Just because someone who is in the pros isn't walking around promoting the school they played at doesn't mean that they didn't care about how they did while they were playing at that school.  What Jimmy does in marketing Marquette is very rare from a professional athlete.

By all accounts Hank loved his time at Marquette, loved his teammates, and from what I saw was just excited about a big win (at Wisconsin, at Providence, home vs. Georgetown all come to mind) as any of his teammates were.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »
The ones you chose to mention often SPEAK of their love of MU and their time here. Steve Novak is number one on the list and is why I feel connected to him and his love of MU.
I said I don't think HE will be in this class of alumni therefore not connected to HE. I agree HE seemed excited about wins during his season here. It would be strange if he didn't.
BTW--disagree that you have seen D Wade wearing more Harvard than MU gear. But let's pretend that's true.....D Wade speaks of his love of MU while here. When HE speaks highly of MU in a few years I would love to hear it.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »
Don't think he does not care about MU
https://twitter.com/henryellenson13/status/790345463975247872
Tweet to soccer coach obviously following, and tweets to his old teammates all the time. So it is not like he does not care. I'm sure he is under a lot of pressure for a 19 year old working hard to stay on roster. Plus when he is mentioned on TV it usually goes "the rookie from Marquette". To me it is all good so far.
Goal is National Championship

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 09:24:03 PM »
Hard to connect with a player that was here for one year and the team didn't go to the post season. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
While I disagree with the notion that Henry only cared about Henry, as I never got that impression, I'm happy/relieved to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't feel much of a connection with HE as an ex-Warrior.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
This is a ridiculous argument.

Henry is a 20-year-old talented basketball player who used Marquette as a stepping stone to the NBA. I am not sure he is any different than hundreds and hundreds of other gifted ballplayers who came through college hoping for a shot at the Association. Some made it, many didn't.

I hope Henry does well in the NBA. Our problem with Henry is that he was highly touted and we had hoped, perhaps irrationally, that we would keep him for two or, ridiculously, three years. We knew last year's team was a crapshoot but had hoped in our heart of hearts that he would be here this year, with experience and reinforcements. Had he stayed and become what we thought he would become, Marquette would have had a legitimate shot at getting into the second weekend and maybe even the third weekend of the NCAA.

In effect, Henry is a bit like Jim Chones. Us old-timers think of Mr. Chones and think of what might have been in 1971-1972 and, potentially, in 1972-1973. But Mr. Chones elected to sign with the ABA on a need basis and the expectation we had for at least one and maybe as many as three additional national championships became forever "what-ifs."

I don't blame either Henry or Mr. Chones for leaving early (or D-Wade for that matter). Their association with Marquette is what it is and I enjoyed watching each of them contribute to our basketball lore.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »
This is a ridiculous argument.

Henry is a 20-year-old talented basketball player who used Marquette as a stepping stone to the NBA. I am not sure he is any different than hundreds and hundreds of other gifted ballplayers who came through college hoping for a shot at the Association. Some made it, many didn't.

I hope Henry does well in the NBA. Our problem with Henry is that he was highly touted and we had hoped, perhaps irrationally, that we would keep him for two or, ridiculously, three years. We knew last year's team was a crapshoot but had hoped in our heart of hearts that he would be here this year, with experience and reinforcements. Had he stayed and become what we thought he would become, Marquette would have had a legitimate shot at getting into the second weekend and maybe even the third weekend of the NCAA.

In effect, Henry is a bit like Jim Chones. Us old-timers think of Mr. Chones and think of what might have been in 1971-1972 and, potentially, in 1972-1973. But Mr. Chones elected to sign with the ABA on a need basis and the expectation we had for at least one and maybe as many as three additional national championships became forever "what-ifs."

I don't blame either Henry or Mr. Chones for leaving early (or D-Wade for that matter). Their association with Marquette is what it is and I enjoyed watching each of them contribute to our basketball lore.

I don't fault Henry for leaving after one year. Not one bit.

But I am disappointed that the team didn't accomplish much, if anything, the year that he was here. Of course, that is not all on him. But when you have a 1 and done, you want to get as much out of that player as you can. Henry had good stats, but as a team, Marquette accomplished very little. So its hard to remember his time here as anything meaningful.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 09:33:54 AM »
I don't fault Henry for leaving after one year. Not one bit.

But I am disappointed that the team didn't accomplish much, if anything, the year that he was here. Of course, that is not all on him. But when you have a 1 and done, you want to get as much out of that player as you can. Henry had good stats, but as a team, Marquette accomplished very little. So its hard to remember his time here as anything meaningful.

Every parent would tell there son to take the money and run.  The money right now in the NBA is funny money.  Look at what that idiot Hammonds has done giving all
those 2nd string type players the money.  Henson, Delly, Plumlee, it is a joke.  The 4th year, Henry will be making 10M a year, even Jon Leuer's contract is a joke.  Even Steve Novak at 1.5M, he may never see the court this year.  That was a great PR move for Milwaukee.  MU accomplished nothing last year, not because of Wojo,
or the talent on hand but the lack of talent that was left from Buzz's era.  To young, to make a difference.  It is to bad Henry did not play with the players from Buzz's
era, he would have been a difference maker.  Instead of a chukker, which Henry was last year.  Every shot was a good shot for him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »

His future clothing choices illustrate his past motivations?
That's just bizarre.

Not one thing occurred during Henry's time at Marquette that showed he was anything but committed to the team and to winning.
I can understand the lack of connection some feel because of his short time at MU - I'm sure Duke fans would say the same about Jabari Parker or Kyrie Irving, so welcome to the world of big-time basketball recruits. But this stuff about HE looking out for only HE is nonsense. And his family? What do they have to do with any of this?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »
His future clothing choices illustrate his past motivations?
That's just bizarre.

. And his family? What do they have to do with any of this?

So JFB wearing MU gear when doing national media interviews etc. means absolutely nothing about his opinion of his alma mater? Of course it does or he wouldn't do it--not getting that seems bizarre.
As far as the fam--lets just say I'm not holding my breath that I'll being seeing them at the next Alumni night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »
Henry is a Marquette alum and I will view him like any other Marquette alum in the pros.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »
So JFB wearing MU gear when doing national media interviews etc. means absolutely nothing about his opinion of his alma mater? Of course it does or he wouldn't do it--not getting that seems bizarre.
As far as the fam--lets just say I'm not holding my breath that I'll being seeing them at the next Alumni night.

That's not what you said though.  You said you don't think Hank was ever playing for the name on the front of the jersey (Marquette).  What someone wears years later while in the pros has nothing to do with what he was playing for while in college.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »
It's not like Jae came here because he was interested in a Jesuit education.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »
Agreed--or a majority of bball players the last decade. All sorts of reasons players came here as frosh, jucos, transfers and grad transfers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »

I'm sure half the people at MU aren't interested in a Jesuit education either. They're all trying to utilize marquettes resources, reputation and connnections to get ahead in life. Not unlike the basketball players.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
I'm sure half the people at MU aren't interested in a Jesuit education either. They're all trying to utilize marquettes resources, reputation and connnections to get ahead in life. Not unlike the basketball players.

It's "resources, reputation and connections" are all rooted in a Jesuit education.

feedback