'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's your price?  (Read 18210 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: What's your price?
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »
Count me in the group that firmly believes found money isn't the way to improve my life, or my child"s life.  If it ever does, I will be disappointed in myself as a person and/or a parent.

To each their own, however.  I have no problem with people who chase the dollar... we all choose different paths and mine is simply about something else.  I don't think that makes me an idiot.

Excellent topic, though.  Probably one of the better ones we've had recently.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:33 PM »
Where exactly did I say anything about selling dreams and memories?  I was specifically speaking about selling tickets to a Marquette championship game, and yes, it theory, there would be an acceptable price point for any reasonable person.

No one in their right mind would say that there is literally not enough money in the world to get them to part with a pair of sporting event tickets in which no one they cared about on a personal level was participating.

It was a fantasy question, strictly for grins, and now the fun has been sucked out of it.

I just don't think people should be called idiots or liars for giving an opinion. I was at the Elite 8 game against Kentucky and still remember that whole trip whenever I see a clip. My dad tells me about being at the 82 World Series and his memories of 77. Those are special moments.

If I'm paying face value for tickets like this, I think I'm in good enough position to not compromise my children's future. I won't be there alone. If I'm lucky enough to be with my family, that's a special memory. I've been to the Big East tourney with my dad, and even an early MU loss (to ND who sucks) couldn't dampen how much fun that was.

That type of feeling is why it would be tough to give up the tickets for even a great price. I definitely respect the opposite opinion and there are many variables. I don't have children yet, so may change my mind when that happens. However, I think I can do well by them without having to sell tickets for a lottery type of return.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:29 AM »
I have to say I fall in on the "experience" side of this argument.  I look at it another way.  I live outside the USA and get the chance to go to ANY MU game about once every 3 years.  For that chance, in the last few years I have
a) scalped courtside seats at over $1000 for 2... and I can't even remember who we were playing
b) scalped the best available seats at the BC for a sold out game vs. Bucky... for a stupid amount of money
c) (twice) bought the whole family a BC box for whatever game it was and had a great day out with 20 family members.  Once was Depaul and the other I can't even remember who we played.  Doesn't matter... it was a great experience with the family.

How much did I pay for tickets to see Nolan Ryan's 300th win?  don't know... but wouldn't trade it.
Kareem's last game in Milwaukee?  doesn't matter, wouldn't trade the experience.
Dr. J's last game in Milwaukee?  it was amazing... so glad I saw him live at least once.
My favorite player of all time's last game in Milwaukee - Sydney Moncrief... wouldn't have missed it. 

It's a great debate above.  Everyone surely has their price, but I'd rather be there. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »
The ironic thing about this whole discussion is that if you knew chick or me we are the opposite of folks that 'chase the dollar'.  What I think the hangup came down to was the 'not any price in the world' part.  For both me and my wife (and others, I suspect) there are greater 'goods and memories' that are available besides a two hour basketball game. And when one says that they won't trade those tickets for anything, there's an opportunity cost that must be considered.

I'll do the whole thing another way. Barbara Eden (I Dream of Jeannie) shows up and says I can have two tickets to MU's upcoming national championship game OR I can have enough money to pay for all my kids and grandkids college educations AND retire today AND take a world cruise.  I'll certainly watch the game on TV.  Marquette basketball is FAR from the most important thing in my life.

One more thing.  The discussion got pretty close to a series of personal insults.  Let's all try to stay friends, okay?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:02:30 AM by jsglow »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2016, 07:08:01 AM »

One more thing.  The discussion got pretty close to a series of personal insults.  Let's all try to stay friends, okay?

On that note, I apologize if I insulted anyone with my comments.   I was challenging folks to rethink their response, and I didn't do it in the best way.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
The problem is that you also have to have a buyer willing to spend the ridiculous amount.

I could say I'd sell my Marquette NC tickets for $100,000.  Reinvested, that could go along way to paying for my kids (hopefully) going to college in 20 years.

I don't think I could find an actual buyer.  The people who can afford that would have other avenues for tickets.  I think the people who said "there is no amount I'd sell for" probably factored in reality.  No one is willing (or able) to pay the ridiculous sum they require.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »
Maybe this is why I veer away from those that would sell, the way most would use the money is not something I find "mission critical". Not judging others at all, but I have limited interest in making my kids college education free. My parents funded their own college education, my wife and I found ways to fund our educations, and I think it will good for my son to learn how to do that as well. So if you eliminate that as something to cover the cost on then all other cost is largely experience based and I think an in person MU NC is a better experience than just about anything else.

Of course the answer changes if it's the 3rd NC in like 10 years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:14 AM »
The problem is that you also have to have a buyer willing to spend the ridiculous amount.

Again, it was a fantasy question.  It's no different than the hundreds of threads we have on Scoop that are basically "What would you do if you were the Marquette coach?".  It's not going to happen, but it is fun to speculate.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
Personal opinion, and not having kids myself, I'm sure many will dismiss it. I don't think parents should pay for their kids' education. I think that should be earned, and without going into student loan debt. If that means a degree takes 6 or 8 or 10 years, so be it. I feel the same way about a house.

I feel you learn more and give more value to things you pay for yourself. I watched too many friends wash out of college, drunk on their parents dime, and too many get buried for decades under student loan debt.

When my parents eventually pass, I expect nothing from them. What they do with their money is their choice. That's a big part of why I'm not taking into account all the "life changing money" stuff. I live comfortably enough and don't need life changing money. I love my life and don't need it to change. It's the experiences along the way I value, and a Marquette national title would mean as much for me as a World Series win for the 100-year-old Cubs fans.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »
Maybe this is why I veer away from those that would sell, the way most would use the money is not something I find "mission critical". Not judging others at all, but I have limited interest in making my kids college education free. My parents funded their own college education, my wife and I found ways to fund our educations, and I think it will good for my son to learn how to do that as well. So if you eliminate that as something to cover the cost on then all other cost is largely experience based and I think an in person MU NC is a better experience than just about anything else.

Of course the answer changes if it's the 3rd NC in like 10 years.

Truth in what you say and we made both our kids contribute for the exact reason you cited.  But Eng, is there literally NOTHING you'd prefer to spend unlimited money on than a single MU basketball game?  That's the hangup for me.  An all expenses paid world cruise vs. MU hoops in person; total no brainer for me.  Look, it's ONLY because we're going to be in MKE for Nursing's big Gala next Friday that I'm willing to go to the exhibition game Saturday. (I think you still owe me a beer!)  And I think I'm a diehard and made 90% of the home games over the past 8 years.

As to 'reality', assuming the scalp price for my tickets was something in the 4 figures, sure we'd go to the game and be totally pumped about it.  I'm not trading them for an inconsequential amount of money.  That would be sacrificing a great memory for nothing. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
Truth in what you say and we made both our kids contribute for the exact reason you cited.  But Eng, is there literally NOTHING you'd prefer to spend unlimited money on than a single MU basketball game?  That's the hangup for me.  An all expenses paid world cruise vs. MU hoops in person; total no brainer for me.

If you're talking any random game, sure. But as we've seen, games like this come along once, maybe twice in a lifetime for a program like ours.

I love to travel, but have no problem saving for trips and going in due course. I think that's part of the disconnect for me. All the things you could spend that unlimited money on will still be there. If you really want that cruise, put away $100/month for a decade and take it.

But watching Marquette win the title? You cannot simply make that happen. Hell, we have billionaire boosters that have tried without success. Chick said I could buy Marquette a title for half a billion, but we all know it's not that simple.

That's why this would have more value for me. Because this isn't something you can do every day. A world cruise, dream house, money to pay for education, those things can always be attained. This? Not so much.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »
Truth in what you say and we made both our kids contribute for the exact reason you cited.  But Eng, is there literally NOTHING you'd prefer to spend unlimited money on than a single MU basketball game?  That's the hangup for me.  An all expenses paid world cruise vs. MU hoops in person; total no brainer for me.  Look, it's ONLY because we're going to be in MKE for Nursing's big Gala next Friday that I'm willing to go to the exhibition game Saturday. (I think you still owe me a beer!)  And I think I'm a diehard and made 90% of the home games over the past 8 years.

As to 'reality', assuming the scalp price for my tickets was something in the 4 figures, sure we'd go to the game and be totally pumped about it.  I'm not trading them for an inconsequential amount of money.  That would be sacrificing a great memory for nothing.

I do owe you guys a beer but it'll have to be the first real home game  ;D

And there is a limit for as I've said before. $10 mil allows me and Mrs Eng to both retire now and spend time volunteering, doing odd jobs we enjoy, travel and most importantly spending time as a family with EngJr.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
Count me in the group that firmly believes found money isn't the way to improve my life, or my child"s life.  If it ever does, I will be disappointed in myself as a person and/or a parent.

To each their own, however.  I have no problem with people who chase the dollar... we all choose different paths and mine is simply about something else.  I don't think that makes me an idiot.

Excellent topic, though.  Probably one of the better ones we've had recently.

To clarify, I would sell at a relatively low price not because I'm "chasing the dollar," but because attending live sporting events doesn't really interest me all that much.  My couch is comfortable, the beer is cheaper, the wifi is good, there are no crowds, and I can go do something else when the game is over.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
I do owe you guys a beer but it'll have to be the first real home game  ;D

And there is a limit for as I've said before. $10 mil allows me and Mrs Eng to both retire now and spend time volunteering, doing odd jobs we enjoy, travel and most importantly spending time as a family with EngJr.

Hey, we're coming up on Bucky.  Bringing the young lad to the game?  Dressed in Warrior blue of course.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »

To clarify, I would sell at a relatively low price not because I'm "chasing the dollar," but because attending live sporting events doesn't really interest me all that much.  My couch is comfortable, the beer is cheaper, the wifi is good, there are no crowds, and I can go do something else when the game is over.

I sort of see it like you Sultan.  I cherish the memories of NCAA games I've attended and chick and I look forward to traveling to the tournament weekend again.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
Hey, we're coming up on Bucky.  Bringing the young lad to the game?  Dressed in Warrior blue of course.

Yes to all, including his ear protectors which are in championship blue

#noredforowen

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »

But watching Marquette win the title? You cannot simply make that happen. Hell, we have billionaire boosters that have tried without success. Chick said I could buy Marquette a title for half a billion, but we all know it's not that simple.

Did those billionaire boosters actually spend a billion?  There have been World Series championship purchased for far less.  And I bet you could even do it on the up-and-up.

Think about it.  Build the best legal athletic dorm in the country, build the best stadium and athletic facilities, hire the best coaching staff (my best guess is that most coaches would sell out way before many of our high-minded Scoopers), engage the best sports PR firms to hype the program. Throw some cash at academics to quash those complainers. Of course, you would also have to hire the best lawyers to fight all the scurrilous claims that MU was cheating...

That would be a fun business model to put together.  How much would that actually cost?
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
Yes to all, including his ear protectors which are in championship blue

#noredforowen

Ear protectors are this generation's car seats.  Just like our parents lets us climb all over the car when they were driving, we took our kids to all sorts of loud events when they were little - rock concerts, NASCAR races, fire engine parades, etc.

They will probably be deaf by the time they are forty.  Oh, well, I least I didn't smoke when I was pregnant like our moms did.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »
Did those billionaire boosters actually spend a billion?  There have been World Series championship purchased for far less.  And I bet you could even do it on the up-and-up.

Think about it.  Build the best legal athletic dorm in the country, build the best stadium and athletic facilities, hire the best coaching staff (my best guess is that most coaches would sell out way before many of our high-minded Scoopers), engage the best sports PR firms to hype the program. Throw some cash at academics to quash those complainers. Of course, you would also have to hire the best lawyers to fight all the scurrilous claims that MU was cheating...

That would be a fun business model to put together.  How much would that actually cost?

Probably the closest parallel to this is Phil Knight at Oregon.  Closest they have gotten in basketball is the Elite 8.  Lost two football championships.

But they are light years ahead of their past.  (Discounting their 1939 national championship of course.)  Between 1961 and 1995, they never made the tournament. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2016, 09:02:11 AM »

Yep.  Ask Oklahoma State or Oregon to show you the trophies that T. Boone Pickens ($500 million to OSU) or Phil Knight ($300 million to Oregon...as of 2013) bought.

Also, plenty of studies call into question the true long-term benefits of cash windfalls (the classic example is winning the lottery).  Evidence seems to indicate that there is an initial spike in happiness that lasts a few months, but that winners aren't any happier than the general population in the long run. It's hard to quantify because there are so many variables, but I am a firm believer that you benefit far more by earning money than by getting it in a windfall of luck.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
Yep.  Ask Oklahoma State or Oregon to show you the trophies that T. Boone Pickens ($500 million to OSU) or Phil Knight ($300 million to Oregon...as of 2013) bought.

Also, plenty of studies call into question the true long-term benefits of cash windfalls (the classic example is winning the lottery).  Evidence seems to indicate that there is an initial spike in happiness that lasts a few months, but that winners aren't any happier than the general population in the long run. It's hard to quantify because there are so many variables, but I am a firm believer that you benefit far more by earning money than by getting it in a windfall of luck.

I read a study saying that the magic number is around $75,000. Anything you make over that and your happiness won't really change. Sure, you'll enjoy the initial windfall, but that euphoria won't last. My wife and I make more than that combined, and whether we make $100,000 or $100,000,000 next year I don't think it will dramatically change our happiness.

And as noted, massive financial dumps into programs haven't guaranteed anything for Pickens or Knight. There's no guarantee that donating $495,000,000 would guarantee Marquette a national title either. That's why the memory means more to me. It literally cannot simply be bought.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
I was actually put in this situation last summer when I miraculously scored a 3 night pass to the Grateful Dead's Fare Thee Well run at solider field. I got tickets right when they went on sale for face value and immediately after ticket prices sky rocketed. They got as high as $10,000+

A lot of my friends didn't understand why I wouldn't sell them and I always responded with "I'm not missing this"

Same holds true if/when MU makes the final four/championship. I'm not going to miss it and no amount of money will make me change my mind.

Btw, those 3 nights in Chicago last July were 3 of the best nights of my life. I made the right decision and it's not even close
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:16:38 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
But Eng, is there literally NOTHING you'd prefer to spend unlimited money on than a single MU basketball game?  That's the hangup for me.  An all expenses paid world cruise vs. MU hoops in person; total no brainer for me.

Glow - this is the crux of the matter. Different strokes. No right answer.

For you, an all expense paid world cruise (and the memories it would create) trumps the memories attending an MU national championship game with Chick and your kids. It's a no brainer, not even close, and that's fine.

I also think it's a no brainer - in the other direction. I'll pick that game with my daughter over the cruise and it's not even close. Isn't that fine, too?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:16 AM »
Glow - this is the crux of the matter. Different strokes. No right answer.

For you, an all expense paid world cruise (and the memories it would create) trumps the memories attending an MU national championship game with Chick and your kids. It's a no brainer, not even close, and that's fine.

I also think it's a no brainer - in the other direction. I'll pick that game with my daughter over the cruise and it's not even close. Isn't that fine, too?

Yep.  No objection from me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2016, 12:59:04 PM »
Yep.  No objection from me.

All good.

feedback