'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's your price?  (Read 18207 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What's your price?
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
My opinion:

If you truly need the money, sell and get whatever you can.

If you don't, there's no right or wrong answer. Any number or no number at all is defensible. Fair value is a matter of opinion - nothing more, nothing less.

Interesting topic.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
If I've raised him right he'll understand because he feels the same way and was there.

And what lesson does it send to my kids that money matters more than experiences and loyalty?

So if your kid would rather have his student loans paid off than go to a basketball game, you would think you've failed as a parent?

For some people, the "experience" of being at a big sporting event isn't as important as money, regardless of how much money that person has.

In addition, there are other experiences that could take place at a different locale. Personally, I think it would have been an amazing, indescribable experience to be at Wrigley for Game 6 of the NLCS, but had I paid big money to go to that game, I wouldn't have the amazing, indescribable experience of watching the pennant-clinching double play with my wife, parents, brother, sister-in-law, sleepy kids and nephews. If I could have gone to that game for free but missed seeing my 67yo, hard-nosed, father tear up and mumble, "My brother would have loved this" it wouldn't have been worth it. Perhaps I'm just not loyal enough to my teams.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
This is a problem I would like to have.

Conversation probably starts at $20k for the pair. Don't tell my wife.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
So if your kid would rather have his student loans paid off than go to a basketball game, you would think you've failed as a parent?

For some people, the "experience" of being at a big sporting event isn't as important as money, regardless of how much money that person has.

In addition, there are other experiences that could take place at a different locale. Personally, I think it would have been an amazing, indescribable experience to be at Wrigley for Game 6 of the NLCS, but had I paid big money to go to that game, I wouldn't have the amazing, indescribable experience of watching the pennant-clinching double play with my wife, parents, brother, sister-in-law, sleepy kids and nephews. If I could have gone to that game for free but missed seeing my 67yo, hard-nosed, father tear up and mumble, "My brother would have loved this" it wouldn't have been worth it. Perhaps I'm just not loyal enough to my teams.

I don't have a family connection like yours with the Cubs for Marquette so my viewpoint is different...I'd want to experience the game with friends and my son on site versus in front of a TV.

And yes I've failed my son if he values money over experience and if he can't make decisions that prevent him from having crippling debt. Again, that's my world view, doesn't mean it has to be other people's. I'm not judge those that would sell, merely explaining why I wouldn't unless it's really high
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2016, 03:29:45 PM »
If I've raised him right he'll understand because he feels the same way and was there.

True Story, I went to the Fiesta Bowl in 1987 with my dad to watch Penn State beat Miami and basically win a National Championship. I was 6 and so some of the hub bub at the time was lost on me but I vividly remember how fun it was and how much it meant to my dad. I don't think either of us would trade that experience for anything. At the time my parents were considerably more hard pressed for money then I am around this point so why pass it up?

And what lesson does it send to my kids that money matters more than experiences and loyalty?

It's not that money matters more. Perhaps the money you would get from selling tickets to the Championship game would afford you the opportunity to experience something you value more.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:32:53 PM by muwarrior69 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »
It's not that money matters more. Perhaps the money you would get from selling tickets to the Championship game would afford you the opportunity to experience something you value more.

Correct but for me the only experience I value more(that money can buy) than witnessing a MU NC in person is being able to afford my wife and I to leave our jobs and spend most of our time as a family with limited need to work
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Q: Would you sleep with Donald Trump for $1,000,000?

Smuggles McHeisy: Hell, I'd pay him for the chance!

But seriously folks ...

Loves my Warriors. Went to Brooklyn last year (glad I did!), and I just a few minutes ago bought tickets to the Georgia game. But I'm also pragmatic.

For $10K for the pair, I could do an awful lot of good for my family and/or my charities of choice. I'd seriously consider going to whatever city the game is in so I could party afterward, but I'd give up the game tix.

OK, maybe $20K. But I'd give 'em up.

Hey chickadee ... Great topic! Lots of fun to hear everybody's answers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2016, 04:46:09 PM »
It was a joke, Glow - not meant to offend or offer a perfect analogy. Sorry if it missed its mark.

My point is simply this: some would considerer those who won't sell their dreams or memories (or "virtue") at any price to be idiots or liars. I disagree with that analysis.

Fair enough.  But ANY price is awfully high.  I agree that things like honor or integrity aren't what you're talking about.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2016, 05:13:41 PM »
Fair enough.  But ANY price is awfully high.  I agree that things like honor or integrity aren't what you're talking about.

I don't think it is. I'd double down by saying if I got a billion dollar lottery ticket, I'd happily trade it for $10M and a Marquette Championship. At some point, no matter how much you have, it's all equal.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
I don't think it is. I'd double down by saying if I got a billion dollar lottery ticket, I'd happily trade it for $10M and a Marquette Championship. At some point, no matter how much you have, it's all equal.

For  half of that  $990 million you could buy Marquette a championship and pocket the rest.  Just sayin'.
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »
I would sell cubs world series tickets. I'm a life long fan but 8k a piece is pretty big for a college student.

I wouldn't sell Marquette championship tickets because the demand would simply not be there like it is for the cubs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
And yes, I will do the Scoop thing for once and double down.  Unless he or she is already financially set for life and has satisfied every financial need he and his family would ever have, anyone who would turn down life-changing money to watch a basketball game is indeed an idiot.

"Sorry, kids, you are going to have take out a crap ton of student loans because I can't help you pay for college. How about if I tell you the story again about how I got to attend the game where Marquette won it all in 2017?"

With all due respect, I find your comments sad.  You seem to value the almighty dollar over experiences with loved ones.

I am very financially comfortable, but not yet to the point where I can satisfy every financial need I will ever have.  Still, I am willing to take the chance that I can make the money I'll need (within the next two or three years) in exchange for the experience of a lifetime with my daughter.

Let me ask you - are you completely set for life?  If not, are you an idiot for not talking your kids out of going to MU when they could get an equally good (or perhaps better) education for less money?  If not why not?  Are you an idiot for donating money to MU when you could have used the money to get closer to being set for life?  If not, why not?  Why do you get to sacrifice $$$ for what you or your kids want (but don't need), while others can't?

Taking your point to the extreme, a person is an idiot if they don't pick the cheapest possible version of everything - EVERYTHING - until they are set for life.  That Disney vacation?  You were an idiot for not just doing a staycation.  Those Levis your kid wanted?  You were an idiot not to get $10 generic jeans.  Money over memories, Chick.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:07:17 PM by GooooMarquette »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
If anything, I think what people should take away from this thread is that a found $ is much less valuable than a $ out-of-pocket. Likely has to do with the intangibility and uncertainty of the former.

Another angle... if someone is crazy enough to pay your price, would you accept the money?  If I said $100,000,000 and someone actually accepted, I'd probably be a little afraid for my life and/or concerned about where the money came from.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
I think you need to keep the scale in mind. I value experiences over money. But I  recognize that with money I can create more and better experiences for others and myself. Seeing MU in a national championship is a dream of mine. But it's not the dream of my future wife, and might not be a dream of my future kids. I think I would feel guilty if I turned down the opportunity to create that much for others just so I could have my own dream.

That being said, who says you can't sell the tickets and then use the money to buy other tickets? If some schmuck gives you 10 million, use some of that to buy another ticket to the same game!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »
With all due respect, I find your comments sad.  You seem to value the almighty dollar over experiences with loved ones.

I am very financially comfortable, but not yet to the point where I can satisfy every financial need I will ever have.  Still, I am willing to take the chance that I can make the money I'll need (within the next two or three years) in exchange for the experience of a lifetime with my daughter.

Let me ask you - are you completely set for life?  If not, are you an idiot for not talking your kids out of going to MU when they could get an equally good (or perhaps better) education for less money?  If not why not?  Are you an idiot for donating money to MU when you could have used the money to get closer to being set for life?  If not, why not?  Why do you get to sacrifice $$$ for what you or your kids want (but don't need), while others can't?

Taking your point to the extreme, a person is an idiot if they don't pick the cheapest possible version of everything - EVERYTHING - until they are set for life.  That Disney vacation?  You were an idiot for not just doing a staycation.  Those Levis your kid wanted?  You were an idiot not to get $10 generic jeans.  Money over memories, Chick.

I love my kids more than I love Marquette.  There, I said it.  And if I had the opportunity to significantly improve their lives and all I had to give up was one basketball game, I would do it.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »

I think you need to keep the scale in mind. I value experiences over money. But I  recognize that with money I can create more and better experiences for others and myself. Seeing MU in a national championship is a dream of mine. But it's not the dream of my future wife, and might not be a dream of my future kids. I think I would feel guilty if I turned down the opportunity to create that much for others just so I could have my own dream.

I agree completely.  Part of my decision was based on the belief that taking my daughter to a MU championship game would be the best experience we could have together.  One of my best memories of childhood was being at the Omni in '77 with my dad and brothers, and my daughter has talked for years about the dream that she and I could share that someday.  A few years ago, we went through some very difficult times as a family...but the one place where she and I always could find common ground and reasons to smile was at MU games.  When I ask what her favorite childhood and adolescent memories are, she lists meeting Steve Novak after her first game in person, meeting Dominic James in the Spirit Store, being in DC (and staying at the team hotel) for the Elite Eight run...where she met Davante, Chris, et al, going to the MU picnic.

I ask about stuff like the Disney trip when she was about 6, Paris at Christmastime, hiking in Sedona, visiting a friend in Seoul...and she says "oh yeah, that stuff was nice too."

A joke in my wife's family was playing which of grandma's momentos they all wanted when she died - a sort of gallows humor.  One day I asked my daughter what would be the first thing she'd take when I die, and without hesitation she replied that she'd take my framed '77 ticket stubs.

So yes, the scale and importance of a given experience is critical, and my answer was given withexactly that thought in mind.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
I love my kids more than I love Marquette.  There, I said it.  And if I had the opportunity to significantly improve their lives and all I had to give up was one basketball game, I would do it.

Me too.  That's why my answer hinged on what my daughter wanted to do.  If she wanted to take the cash, I'd give it to her without hesitation.  And if she wanted to keep the tickets, I'd do that without hesitation too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
Nice question Chick. A couple of answers:

1) I have Bears season tickets. As such, I was entered in and won the lottery for 2005 Super Bowl tickets. Before I called my Brother-in-Law who lived north of Miami and offered him a ticket in exchange for a place to stay, Ms. Dgies insisted I check the secondary market for the Super Bowl tickets. As a result, $1,200 worth of tickets sold for $5,200. Paid for a Cabo vacation and a big-screen plasma television.

2) But, even though I am a Bears ticket holder, I have been a die-hard Packer backer since I was a very small child. I get the Bears tickets in part to go to the Packers game (which is delaying my Christmas trip to Florida this year). A few years back, the Bears played the Packers in the NFC Championship at Soldier Field. Ms. Dgies suggested I call the secondary market on these tickets. I told Ms. Dgies that she would not be Ms. Dgies much longer if she kept talking that kind of nonsense. I went to the game.

3) My love of and loyalty to Marquette is exponentially greater than even my joy in Packer wins. If I had Final Four tickets (and trust me, when we get there, I will), nothing will extract those tickets from me. Nothing.

Oh and GOOOO, I have the same deal with my daughter. She's attending another university, but I raised her well and she was, is and always will be a Warrior!

If you let me do an exorcism of that Cardinals thing at Soft Pines this summer, there might be hope for you. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
I was confronted with this issue in the 2000 subway series between the Yankees and the Mets. I had 24 tickets to each game of the World Series and opted for taking market price and watching on TV. I was not a true fan of either so the decision was easy.

For an MU national championship the decision would be a little harder, but at some 5 figure number I would start considering it. If someone in my family was playing for MU at the time there would be no price I would sell.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »

Nobody has:

1. Suggested they love Marquette more than their kids

2. Said they wouldn't give up a basketball game to significantly improve their lives.

That's moving the goalposts to defend your "Anyone who won't sell dreams or memories is a liar or an idiot".

The funny thing is that in reality we're talking about a couple thousand dollars, not the chance to buy someone a house or a private plane. But why such hostility towards those who think sharing once in lifetime wonderful memories with their kids is more important than buying them a private plane? Are people who have been given one necessarily happier and better adjusted than those given happy, once in a lifetime memories? Not in my experience.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
If you let me do an exorcism of that Cardinals thing at Soft Pines this summer, there might be hope for you.

Not going to happen.

My Dad was a Cubs season ticket holder for years when my parents lived in Chicago. My Mom, brothers and sisters were all Cub fans. I used to go out in the car in the evening during the summer in Solon Springs and listen to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on KMOX.

Amid all the static, there was my Cardinals. Nope, Soft Pines, yes. Cardinals... will still be there!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »

That's moving the goalposts to defend your "Anyone who won't sell dreams or memories is a liar or an idiot".

The funny thing is that in reality we're talking about a couple thousand dollars, not the chance to buy someone a house or a private plane. But why such hostility towards those who think sharing once in lifetime wonderful memories with their kids is more important than buying them a private plane? Are people who have been given one necessarily happier and better adjusted than those given happy, once in a lifetime memories? Not in my experience.

Where exactly did I say anything about selling dreams and memories?  I was specifically speaking about selling tickets to a Marquette championship game, and yes, it theory, there would be an acceptable price point for any reasonable person.

No one in their right mind would say that there is literally not enough money in the world to get them to part with a pair of sporting event tickets in which no one they cared about on a personal level was participating.

It was a fantasy question, strictly for grins, and now the fun has been sucked out of it.

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

It was a fantasy question, strictly for grins, and now the fun has been sucked out of it.

Now you know how all of us married guys feel.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:19:25 PM by real chili 83 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
So you pose a question about what a once in a lifetime experience is worth and when some people say it's effectively priceless, you take your ball and go home?

For some people, there are more important things than money, and for some here, a Marquette title is one of those things.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
For what it's worth chick, I thought it was good and thought provoking. Problem is some people over think stuff.