'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's your price?  (Read 18205 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What's your price?
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
I don't think that's fair Lenny.  One topic deals with a straight transaction without moral implications whatsoever.

It was a joke, Glow - not meant to offend or offer a perfect analogy. Sorry if it missed its mark.

My point is simply this: some would considerer those who won't sell their dreams or memories (or "virtue") at any price to be idiots or liars. I disagree with that analysis.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
Havin' been live and in person at da 1977 Final Four I can attest ta it bein' everythin' and more than ya could hope ta imagine. That said, I skipped goin' ta Greensboro in '74 and I'm glad I did 'cuz losin' the final game sucks major ass, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
Guys, when was the last time we played in a national title game? When was the last time we played in the Final Four? How often have we done either?

If I might die before a rare and very important event occurs....my threshold for selling is going to be significantly higher than if it's less rare.

Let's put it this way, if I'm a Kentucky fan, my answer is considerably different than my Marquette Fandom allows.

Lastly, money doesn't buy happiness, it buys experiences so unless I'm changing how I live my life (able to live care free) I'm not trading a experience like an MU NC for a week Fiji vacation or whatever....I guarantee I'd remember the MU game way more when I die than the time I went on a vacation.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
I guess the real questions is what are your priorities in life. If your are really passionate about MU basketball I could understand why one would not part with tickets to the Championship game. At one point in my life I would have kept the tickets; now I would probably sell.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Maybe my $10M price tag seems insane, but I mean it. Money just isn't that valuable compared to experiences. I don't hate my job. The whole point of working is to have the money and time to do what you want. That's it. Marquette last won the title when I was a month old. I would rather have a once in a lifetime experience than a trifling $100,000 that I could earn in a little over a year.

As far as what I'd pay, pretty much whatever it took. If I needed to take a loan to do it, I would.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »
Maybe my $10M price tag seems insane, but I mean it. Money just isn't that valuable compared to experiences. I don't hate my job. The whole point of working is to have the money and time to do what you want. That's it. Marquette last won the title when I was a month old. I would rather have a once in a lifetime experience than a trifling $100,000 that I could earn in a little over a year.

As far as what I'd pay, pretty much whatever it took. If I needed to take a loan to do it, I would.

Bravo!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
I don't think that's fair Lenny.  One topic deals with a straight transaction without moral implications whatsoever.

Glow, for what it is worth, depending on what you're forgoing by using the tickets, there are moral implications. Perhaps, not the kind that Lenny was hinting at, but there's a real issue associated with the allocation of resources. Spending or forgoing absurd amounts of money to engage in what amounts to personal pleasure has very serious ethical and moral implications.

Hey, I did stay awake in those theology and philosophy classes!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
Guys, when was the last time we played in a national title game? When was the last time we played in the Final Four? How often have we done either?

If I might die before a rare and very important event occurs....my threshold for selling is going to be significantly higher than if it's less rare.

Let's put it this way, if I'm a Kentucky fan, my answer is considerably different than my Marquette Fandom allows.

Lastly, money doesn't buy happiness, it buys experiences so unless I'm changing how I live my life (able to live care free) I'm not trading a experience like an MU NC for a week Fiji vacation or whatever....I guarantee I'd remember the MU game way more when I die than the time I went on a vacation.

...and if that experience turn out to be unhappy then what?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
...and if that experience turn out to be unhappy then what?

Then so what? It's the past. Living your life for woulda, coulda, shoulda is just stupid. Don't lament it, embrace your decisions, learn from them, and live with the consequences.

I learned everything I need to know about this topic in 2003. I made two mistakes that year. Here they are:

1) After we beat Kentucky, I celebrated in the building with Marquette fans, but I really wanted to be on campus. Instead of staying in Minneapolis, I drove home. By the time I got back to Milwaukee, it was late, I was exhausted, and celebrations were dying down. Where I should have been was in Minny, enjoying the moment and celebrating like a madman.

2) I was out of money and didn't go to New Orleans the next week. I probably could have begged my parents for more, but I didn't. My junior year, I should've went to the Final Four. Watching the game at the AMU sucked. Obviously the game sucked, but there wasn't the same buildup, the same energy level to start, the same enjoyment that my classmates who did go described. None of them regretted going, despite how badly it went.

Moral of the story, for me, if we ever go back to the Final Four in my lifetime, I am going. Money will be no object. My wife knows this. She knew this before she married me. I told her this years ago and included in our wedding vows was her uttering the phrase "I promise to love you, respect you, trust you, stay with you, and accept your passion for Marquette basketball as long as we both shall live."

Why? Because I learned from my mistakes of 2003. First, I learned that I need to be in the moment when events like that happen. Second, I learned that money isn't important enough to block me from things I truly want to do. I probably could have got to New Orleans and got in the game for no more than a few hundred bucks. I made the mistake, fine, but I'm never making it again.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Similar scenario... when the Brewers made it to the post-season in 2007 for the first time in a generation, my wife and I had season tickets, so we had some pretty choice seats on the field level behind the visitor's dugout.  Early in the week, the demand for Game 3 tickets (Games 1 & 2 were in Philly) was white hot, so on a whim the day after game 162, I played the "what's my price" game myself and posted the tickets on StubHub or eBay for something like $700 for the pair (face was maybe $85-90 per IIRC). 

Now... that was a different situation because a) we had tickets to Game 4, the NLCS and WS if they made it that far, so we were guaranteed to see at least one more postseason game and b) even though CC was likely gone after the season, the Brewers still had a young core that made it likely that they would get back to the postseason at some point in the next few years (which they did).  So selling my tickets to Game 3 didn't have the feel like I was foregoing a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Nevertheless, to my surprise, someone actually bought them within a couple hours of posting, and my heart sank.  Fortunately, I turned around a pair of Loge-level seats at the last minute for $200... so that made me feel a heck of a lot better, and in fact, I was quite happy to downgrade my seats for $500.

And because I'm an idiot, I did the same thing four years later, except it was Game 5 of the divisional round (the Tony Plush "fu@k yeah" game-winning single).  In that case I actually forgot that I had posted the tickets a week earlier and woke up in the morning to a "Your Tickets Have Sold" email.  Again, I was able to scramble for replacement tickets and ended up in the Club level for about $100 less than what I sold the other tickets for.  At that point I was not as satisfied with the downgrade, but I was more relieved than anything that I was at the game.

What I think actually happened here was that I allowed the market value of the tickets to bias me, and as a result, I ended up grossly underestimating what "my price" actually was. 

So extrapolate that with the possibility of MU's next championship game being the last one I'll have a chance to see in my lifetime, and I don't think I'm going to give a rats pah-toot about what the market value of the tickets is... I'm going to be at that game, unless I'm dead... or in jail... and if I'm in jail, can't break out.  My concern is that the sum of money has to be large enough so as to preemptively and unequivocally justify the sale - not just in my eyes, but in the eyes of everyone I meet - because I can promise you that no matter how much money I would get for those tickets, if MU were to win a Natty and I wasn't there, it's going to sting like crazy every time I have someone say to me incredulously, "you actually sold your tickets and weren't going to see about a girl?"

Imagine having a wound that never heals... even if you can get used to the pain over time, it's having salt thrown into it from time to time that makes it unbearable.  Therefore, I think $500,000 is enough to keep everyone's mouth shut... or at least enough to pay someone to stitch it shut for them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 12:57:41 PM »
1) After we beat Kentucky, I celebrated in the building with Marquette fans, but I really wanted to be on campus. Instead of staying in Minneapolis, I drove home. By the time I got back to Milwaukee, it was late, I was exhausted, and celebrations were dying down. Where I should have been was in Minny, enjoying the moment and celebrating like a madman.

At least you have a recollection of that evening to tell.  All I remember from staying in Minny is waking up at the Crowne Plaza the next morning (with exception to vague recollections of everyone in a bar joining a "Fu@k K-U" chant at some point).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »
OK! OK FINE! You've all convinced me... I would put the price tag at 6 figures... you're right.

I have a great friend who went to the final 4 for the badgers two years ago and said he wouldn't trade that experience (even with their loss, thank goodness) for anything. So I think $100,000 would do it just to get me out of student loan debt and then some (MU isn't free... who knew).
Otherwise, yes, it may be once in a life time as many of you said.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »

You made some good points that remind me of my boss shelling out $$$ to see his badgers play in the 1999 Rose Bowl, heck it had been 30+ years of crappy teams. He had fun but he would tell you that it was diminished when they were to return to the RB several more times.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
It was a joke, Glow - not meant to offend or offer a perfect analogy. Sorry if it missed its mark.

My point is simply this: some would considerer those who won't sell their dreams or memories (or "virtue") at any price to be idiots or liars. I disagree with that analysis.

Of course dreams have a price. If they didn't, most of you would still be trying to make it as a rock star or a columnist for the NY Times.

And some memories don't have a price (family,etc.) but most do.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
You made some good points that remind me of my boss shelling out $$$ to see his badgers play in the 1999 Rose Bowl, heck it had been 30+ years of crappy teams. He had fun but he would tell you that it was diminished when they were to return to the RB several more times.

This thought entered my mind. Were I a UNC or Kansas fan I wouldn't be as dead set because I'd expect more chances. If we went to 6 Final Fours and won two titles in the next 20 years, my opinion would change. But for the next one, if it ever comes, I will be there.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
Of course dreams have a price. If they didn't, most of you would still be trying to make it as a rock star or a columnist for the NY Times.

I can't think of one that would. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) the birth of a child. Really more important the mother be there for that.

And I mean emotionally, not just physically.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
Everyone is assuming the title game would be a positive experience. Will it be like the North Carolina game or the North Carolina St game. Being there for an actual championship is a lot cooler than being there for a loss. Certainly a blowout like the semi final loss to Kansas would be pure torture. To me seats are a big deal. I have very good seats at BMO Harris and being spoiled with those seats does not make me really want to have significantly worse seats. The championship games generally are not in basketball arenas, so even the lower seats can be bad seats, since there tends not to be the normal rise in the seats on the stadium floor. Being only 5'6" and my wife being 5'2" may mean we simply do not have a good view of the game, when significantly bigger people are sitting or standing in front of us. The TV announcers can be annoying at times, but the people in the seats around you can be much more annoying. At the Marquette home games I choose last year to move up to the higher permanent seats, because the temporary seats you get encroached upon by the people sitting next to you. I am 64 years old and I am much more interested in comfort than partying. I did not go to the 1977 championship game as I was a newly married graduate and money was a much bigger issue to me then. If someone had given me a trip to the championship game, I doubt I would of sold them back then for $5,000. Today I would.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
And yes, I will do the Scoop thing for once and double down.  Unless he or she is already financially set for life and has satisfied every financial need he and his family would ever have, anyone who would turn down life-changing money to watch a basketball game is indeed an idiot.

"Sorry, kids, you are going to have take out a crap ton of student loans because I can't help you pay for college. How about if I tell you the story again about how I got to attend the game where Marquette won it all in 2017?"
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »

Chick - ask someone who works for doctors without borders if his or her dreams have a price.

Most of us have a price for dreams and memories. Some don't or put the price so unreasonably high that in reality they don't. I don't think those folks are liars or idiots.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
Chick - ask someone who works for doctors without borders if his or her dreams have a price.

You are making my point. The dream of working for doctors without borders has a price.  The price is the salary they would be making if they had a traditional physician's job.  And they paid it.

Some people aren't willing to pay the price.  Ask any guy who works as a PR guy for some Fortune 500 corporation instead of writing a music blog for nothing, hoping to eventually land a paying gig at Rolling Stone.

Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
Everyone is assuming the title game would be a positive experience.

I'm not. It's worth the risk, because I would regret not being there if it was positive.

Some people aren't willing to pay the price.  Ask any guy who works as a PR guy for some Fortune 500 corporation instead of writing a music blog for nothing, hoping to eventually land a paying gig at Rolling Stone.

And some people are. In my opinion, those that would sell those seats are just as idiotic as you think we are. Bottom line, you can't take it with you. At the end of the day, you teach your kids so that they can take care of their own responsibilities. And no matter what, experiences are always, always, always more important than money in your bank account.

If you prefer to hoard money and count each penny as though that copper will keep you warm in your casket, be my guest.

The simple truth is I figured out the meaning of life long ago, and it's really very simple. To live. I'm going to get the most out of my experiences, and I don't know that any experience would give me more joy than being there for a Marquette national title.

If paper and coin gives you more joy than experiences, I suppose that's your prerogative. I also suppose you are completely missing the point of what being alive is all about. But I'm glad for it, because the more people willing to give up a once-in-a-lifetime experience for paper, the better seats I'll have when the day comes.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
A friend of mine is a Cubs Season ticket holder and told me today that she turned down $5,000 apiece for some of her World Series tickets.

That got me to thinking:  Let's say that when they first went on sale this year, you were able to purchase a pair of decent (good, but not amazing) tickets to the NCAA Final Four.  As fate would have it, the gods smiled on the Warriors, and they find themselves in the championship game.

What is the price point at which you would be willing to sell those seats?  For argument's sake, let's say that you have to sell both tickets, and you wouldn't be able turn around and buy cheaper seats elsewhere in the stadium - you'd have to watch the game on television somewhere else.

I am interested in your honest answers.  And don't tell me you wouldn't sell them under any circumstances.  If someone offered you $1 billion for the pair, you know you'd take it.  My guess is most answers will be somewhere between that and face.

Probably $100,000.

This convo got me thinking. My buddy was on the waiting list for years and received 3 Cubs Bleacher season tickets last year. Talk about market timing. He made a decent amount of coin during the regular season going to about every third game. Unlike the regular season where it's first-come, first served -- playoff bleacher seats are numbered and get got 6th row tickets this year and last. His approach is exactly how I would do it -- he went to one playoff game per series last year and sold off the rest. This year, he will only attend when the game is a potential series ender. So, he has attended one game so far -- the pennant winner last week. The rest he continues to make huge money on. His seats are going for upwards of 3G per seat for the next three home games. I would sell all games before Game 5 Sunday.

I have went to the first games of every Cubs playoff series this year and plan to go on Friday. I bought Giants/Cubs tickets last week for my wife, little sister and childhood friend who is a lifelong Cubs fan and teacher. You can't take that bottom-of-the-eighth Montero grand slam away from me  -- I still get goosebumps thinking about it and couldn't talk for a few days. Likewise, when Dwade went off in Minneapolis or when Devin Hester took back the opening kick-off in Super Bowl XLI or when Jordan closed out the Jazz at the United center in '97. I probably spend more than most on tickets/events, but to me, life is about memories - and I love sports. My mom died when she was younger than I am right now, so as long as I am being moderately responsible and saving a few bucks, I try to seize the day. Even saying that, I can't think of a real scenario in which I would be shut out of an event. Marquette in final four/national championship = whatever it takes. Man, I hope that day does come.

Using the $5,000 example from above -- if I was your friend I would have sold most of the tickets except for a game a series.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
And yes, I will do the Scoop thing for once and double down.  Unless he or she is already financially set for life and has satisfied every financial need he and his family would ever have, anyone who would turn down life-changing money to watch a basketball game is indeed an idiot.

"Sorry, kids, you are going to have take out a crap ton of student loans because I can't help you pay for college. How about if I tell you the story again about how I got to attend the game where Marquette won it all in 2017?"

If I've raised him right he'll understand because he feels the same way and was there.

True Story, I went to the Fiesta Bowl in 1987 with my dad to watch Penn State beat Miami and basically win a National Championship. I was 6 and so some of the hub bub at the time was lost on me but I vividly remember how fun it was and how much it meant to my dad. I don't think either of us would trade that experience for anything. At the time my parents were considerably more hard pressed for money then I am around this point so why pass it up?

And what lesson does it send to my kids that money matters more than experiences and loyalty?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »

I make more money now than I ever have in my life, and I'm no happier than I was when I was a dirt poor college student. Money does not equal happiness. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
You are making my point. The dream of working for doctors without borders has a price.  The price is the salary they would be making if they had a traditional physician's job.  And they paid it.

In no way am I making your point. Your point was that anyone who says they would turn down life changing $ for a dream or a memory is a liar or an idiot. That's what MDs who work for Doctors without Borders do every day. I don't think they're either (liars or idiots, that is).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:35:13 PM by Lennys Tap »

feedback