[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's your price?  (Read 18340 times)

source?

• All American
Re: What's your price?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
I am of the opinion that a national championship for my alma mater would be a life changing experience for me. With that in mind it would have to be a life changing amount of money for me to give it up. I'm in my 20s so $1 mil for a pair would probably be enough to allow me to retire in my 40s and have the cash to travel for the rest of my life.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »
When chick brought up the topic at dinner last night I responded this way.  Not exactly sure what the number is (maybe $10,000 for grins) but I do know that despite the fact that the economics are exactly the same, my 'I'm willing to sell' price is significantly higher than my 'I'm buying them on the secondary market' price.

Also, totally historic events for me are more about 'being in the moment'. No doubt that the two greatest MU basketball events I have ever attended are the Halloween Midnight Madness game against the USSR with my dad and the Davidson miracle during perhaps the most personally challenging week in my life.  The first because it gives me vivid memories of my dad who has been gone nearly 20 years now.  The second because every once in a great while God decides you've had enough pain and gives you a little pat on the back reminding you that life is still good.  I somehow knew Vander's shot was going in with 6 seconds to go.  Feeling His grace a handful of times in my life is truly special.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »
It is a very high price for me to replace personal, one of a kind experiences especially now that I have a kid to indoctrinate....I mean spend time with. $10 mil gets me retired 25 years early and I can spend time enjoying the family and other MUBB events.

So that's the price, $10 mil for the pair
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Also, totally historic events for me are more about 'being in the moment'. No doubt that the two greatest MU basketball events I have ever attended are the Halloween Midnight Madness game against the USSR with my dad and the Davidson miracle during perhaps the most personally challenging week in my life. 

I was on campus "The" Year (1977 for you youngsters out there). I didn't go to the Omni that year as I was a poor college student. I think I had far more fun partying and watching with my friends and fellow MU students than I would have had in Atlanta/

Times are different. I'm an old geezer of sorts. I want to celebrate our second national championship, third and maybe fourth, with my fellow alumni and fans.

Where's the 2017 Final Four? (One can hope)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
Not missing that for any price. Especially not to give it to a Badger fan.

Money isn't really that important, and you can always make more. Anyone whose happiness is determined primarily by money probably isn't a very happy individual.

It's funny that I agree with you completely...so I reach the opposite conclusion.  I'd sell the tickets for a lot less than many on here so I could do something special with my family that we couldn't do otherwise.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
Okay, all of you who said you wouldn't sell the tickets for any amount of money either

1.  aren't being honest
2.  haven't thought it through, or
2.  are idiots

I find it hard to believe that if someone offered you enough money so that you could afford to sit front row center at every subsequent Marquette game in your lifetime (including any and all future championship games), generously support every cause that is important to you (both with money and time), and have the building of your choice on campus named in your honor, you would say, "Thanks. I'll pass".

And to those of you who made promises to your daughters to take them to the game and don't want to see the look of disappointment on her face, let me ask you this:  What would be the look on her face if you told her, "Guess what, honey?  I got offered enough money for our tickets that I could pay off all of your debt and buy you a nice house and a Mercedes, but a promise is a promise, so I told the guy to go f*ck himself."
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
Okay, all of you who said you wouldn't sell the tickets for any amount of money either

1.  aren't being honest
2.  are idiots

I find it hard to believe that if someone offered you enough money so that you could afford to sit front row center at every subsequent Marquette game in your lifetime (including any and all future championship games), generously support every cause that is important to you (both with money and time), and have the building of your choice on campus named in your honor, you would say, "Thanks. I'll pass".

And to those of you who made promises to your daughters to take them to the game and don't want to see the look of disappointment on her face, let me ask you this:  What would be the look on her face if you told her, "Guess what, honey?  I got offered enough money for our tickets that I could pay off all of your debt and buy you a nice house and a Mercedes, but a promise is a promise, so I told the guy to go f*ck himself."

It's easy for someone to say they'd never sell when it's a hypothetical. In actuality, if someone was offered $5k or more for 2 tickets, they'd sell them in a heartbeat.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
It's easy for someone to say they'd never sell when it's a hypothetical. In actuality, if someone was offered $5k or more for 2 tickets, they'd sell them in a heartbeat.

I think some might fold but I'm certain that there people that mean what they say.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
I lived through this experience with the 2006 World Series.  I bought tickets through a season ticket package for game 6 of the Tigers - Cardinals World Series. Tickets were $175 each. I was offered hard cash of $1,000 for each and turned it down. However, I made my number $5,000 for the pair, as a recent law school graduate with a government job, some student loan debt, a new house and pregnant wife. It was an easy choice. My wife said take $2500 for the pair. Going price was about $750 for the each, but rising steadily.

By the way, part of my thought was if I sell for $5000, I will put $500 aside and buy again when the Tigers make the world series next.

Tigers lost in 5. I got neither the experience nor the money. Tigers went back in 2012, I got tickets again, and they lost in 4. True story. What is that they say about best laid plans?

Everything depends on circumstances. What was really big money for me then is less important now. However, for $25,000, I could sell the MU tickets, still watch the game with friends, family, etc, and fly to the Fuji Islands (bucket list item) for a week, and still have $15,000 in the bank for a rainy day and for next time MU makes the championship game.

Experiences are what you make of them. I am a MSU Spartans Football fan and season ticket holder. I went to the 100th Rose Bowl. It was unbelievable and an experience I would never trade....except for maybe $50,000. Maybe $25,000. Heck, probably $15,000.00.

So there is a dollar amount. My guess is most people would probably take as little as $25,000 for the pair if faced with the reality regardless of what you read on here. Probably less. ***Assuming they are not extraordinarily wealthy, where $25,000 is a drop in the bucket.

NOTE: I am not a life long Tigers fan, so that devalued my position. I have missed less than 10 MU games since 2000 whether in person, on television, by internet radio, or even by internet stat tracker. It would be a different situation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:41:06 AM by MUCam »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »
I think some of the people who are answering with these large sums...

1. Don't have kids so they may not understand that turning down five figures for a ticket to a sporting event is (in my opinion) wasteful, or...

2. Are much wealthier than I am, or...

3. Are lying.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »

If you are addressing this to me, you didn't read the whole response.

I said I would let my daughter choose, and keep the money if she chose to sell.  So if the offer would allow her to pay off debt, and buy a house and Mercedes or whatever, it would be totally her choice.  My sense is that she'd keep the tickets, but I would let her make that decision.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »

Not necessarily - it totally depends on your life circumstances.  For some people - and I'm guessing there are a few here - that $5k would be in the ballpark of about a week's salary.  So to put it in that perspective - if you were offered one week's salary for 2 tix to potentially the game of a lifetime, would you "sell them in a heartbeat?"

fjm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
Great question.
I would do 7,500 a piece.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
$5,000. Probably less.  Watching sports live isn't a big priority of mine.
I was at the Omni in Atlanta in 1977 watching our Warriors beat UNCC and UNC in person for that NCAA championship.  Celebrated into the wee hours in Underground Atlanta barely catching that plane back to Milwaukee.  $5,000 or whatever it was worth in 1977 can't possibly pay for those very sweet memories.  If you wish to be a couch potato, so be it.  ;)

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
Got an NBA finals ticket to the first Bulls championship and sold it for $2,000.  Now I am not anywhere near a fan of the Bulls that I am Marquette.  So maybe somewhere between $5,000 and $7,500 is probably my breaking point.

For that kind of money you could still fly down to the location and hang out with other Marquette fans to watch the festivities and have plenty left over.  That way you still enjoy the experience to a degree.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:14 AM »

1.  aren't being honest
2.  are idiots

Chick, Chick, Chick.

You asked us what we would do and I told you. I wasn't dealing with a hypothetical. I could relate to specific circumstances -- such as the Circus Maximus of American Sports and what I specifically did. In the second case, was I stupid for not selling the Packers/Bears NFC Championship tickets? Ms. Dgies would think so in light of what the market value of those tickets was in relationship to what we paid. But damn I had a good time at that game!

Yes, I suppose if my beloved daughter or fabulous son was not able to go to college; if we were eating cat food; if I was living on Lower Wacker Drive; or, if there was a family need that selling those tickets would resolve; then, yes I would sell the Warrior NCAA Championship Tickets. I think there is something in the Good Book about "Loving Your Neighbor as Yourself." The values imparted during my Marquette education would dictate a sale.

But there was a sense of realism in your question. That is, I have to deal with real-life situations, market prices and expectations. If I had tickets to the third game of the World Series this Friday night in Chicago and the potential sale value was $22,000 per, then they'd be gone. But the reality is that NO ONE will offer that for a Marquette NCAA Title Game. There's not that kind of cache associated with Marquette or, for that matter, the NCAA!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
I prefer to answer it this way even though I know it isn't the question that you asked.

I wouldn't sell for what the top market price would actually be.

Nobody is paying millions for the tickets. Nobody is even paying 6 figures.

So it isn't going to be life changing money for most.

Since I have been very fortunate financially in my life 10 or 20 thousand isn't enough to make me miss the experience of a potential National Championship.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Chick, Chick, Chick.

But there was a sense of realism in your question. That is, I have to deal with real-life situations, market prices and expectations. If I had tickets to the third game of the World Series this Friday night in Chicago and the potential sale value was $22,000 per, then they'd be gone. But the reality is that NO ONE will offer that for a Marquette NCAA Title Game. There's not that kind of cache associated with Marquette or, for that matter, the NCAA!

Hey, nowhere did I say that it had to be a realistic or market price.  My question was, what would be the dollar amount that would make you agree to sell the tickets?
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »

1.  aren't being honest
2.  are idiots

Q: Would you sleep with Donald Trump for $1,000,000?

A: Wow. $1,000,000 is a lot of money. Sure.

Q: How about for $50?

A: $50? What do you think I am.

A: We've already established what you are. Now we're negotiating price.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »

On a more serious note, I didn't say I wouldn't sell them, I said I wouldn't sell them without consulting her.

That said, I place a much higher value on life's greatest memories than what any scalper would pay - so unless the guy was crazy I wouldn't be interested. I'd put "crazy" in the $100,000 per ticket range.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:12:31 AM by Lennys Tap »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »
Let's flip the question: How much would you be willing to pay to watch MU play in the title game?

Sure, you could probably sit courtside for under $5k per ticket, but let's say it's undefeated Marquette against undefeated Blue Blood U. and the prices are sky-rocketing. How high are you willing to go?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »
Let's flip the question: How much would you be willing to pay to watch MU play in the title game?

Sure, you could probably sit courtside for under $5k per ticket, but let's say it's undefeated Marquette against undefeated Blue Blood U. and the prices are sky-rocketing. How high are you willing to go?

I would sell mine for $7,500 a piece.
I would pay $5,000 for a decent seat. Not nose bleeds.

That being said, either way I would try to go to wherever the game was being played and enjoy the atmosphere even if I can't get a ticket.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
I would sell mine for $7,500 a piece.
I would pay $5,000 for a decent seat. Not nose bleeds.

Pretty tight market - are you a ticket broker?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »
Q: Would you sleep with Donald Trump for $1,000,000?

A: Wow. $1,000,000 is a lot of money. Sure.

Q: How about for $50?

A: $50? What do you think I am.

A: We've already established what you are. Now we're negotiating price.

I don't think that's fair Lenny.  One topic deals with a straight transaction without moral implications whatsoever.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »
Let's flip the question: Let's say it's undefeated Marquette against undefeated Blue Blood U. and the prices are sky-rocketing. How high are you willing to go?

Why would I pay big dollars to watch an intra-squad scrimmage? :-)

feedback