collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish  (Read 27124 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2016, 11:51:21 AM »
It has nothing to do with this discussion.   Quit going Chicos-esque.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
...but the media finds the "Piss Christ" acceptable and the "Black Modonna" is valued in the millions so who is pretending.

This isn't moving the goalposts, it's installing tennis nets on the football field.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 11:57:58 AM »
...but the media finds the "Piss Christ" acceptable and the "Black Modonna" is valued in the millions so who is pretending.

Who is "the media?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »

Correct.  I have already shown that. 

You are the one who is sticking by the "racial superiority" definition as its only definition.

I provided all 3 definitions but sure.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Profile >> Modify Profile >> Buddies/Ignore List >> Edit Ignore List >> Add to Ignore List

I needed to go look it up myself and figured I'd post the steps just in case anyone else wanted a reminder.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »

You have been treading out this poll for years now.  Here is why it is irrelevant to me.

1. The poll you cite has had numerous critics on how the data was collected.  I don't know enough to know how legitimate it is however.

2. Even if it is legitimate, 30% is a significant number.  Plenty to be concerned about.

3. Racist imagery offends more than just the target of the imagery.  It offends me that we live in a society that allows that crap.

The poll has been around for less than 6 months.  Hard to tread out this poll for years when it isn't even a year old.

I'm not who you suggest I am.

30% might be significant, 70% is more significant. 

It offends others that people are overly sensitive about things that aren't crap, but someone else says it is.

Time to just relax and respect the opinions of those Native Americans that can speak for themselves.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:54 PM »
The poll has been around for less than 6 months.  Hard to tread out this poll for years when it isn't even a year old.

It offends others that people are overly sensitive about things that aren't crap, but someone else says it is.

Time to just relax and respect the opinions of those Native Americans that can speak for themselves.

Like standing for the national anthem?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »

So either A) you are the sociopathic poster we (defined as over 70% of other posters) think you are, or B) you present yourself in the same manner as that poster, who has been banned from this board multiple times, enough so that people think you are him.

Congrats.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2016, 10:10:47 PM »
How is chicos not IP banned. I seriously doubt he has any idea how to switch his.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
How is chicos not IP banned. I seriously doubt he has any idea how to switch his.

As has been stated by Mods, he uses VPN to hide his true IP address. VPNs also use dynamic IPs, they change very frequently. You can ban him but its Whackamole because his IP is always changing.

The net of it is that Chicos needs a hobby.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
White people in America don't get to decide if something isn't racist.

None of us know what it's like. Our opinions are invalid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »
White people in America don't get to decide if something isn't racist.

None of us know what it's like. Our opinions are invalid.

So why can white people decide what is racist?  Wouldn't our opinion be invalid both ways?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »

I was gonna fixit for you, but couldn't decide whether to add "attention" or "medication".

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
So why can white people decide what is racist?  Wouldn't our opinion be invalid both ways?

I don't think white people truly get to decide what is racist either, but it depends on how explicit the racism is. If it's subtle racism, that's less appropriate for a white person to call out. If it's obvious racism, that's fine to determine.

For subtle racism, let's say someone locks their car doors when my [relative] is near their car at the local library.  I don't get to tell my [relative] that isn't racism. However, I can say that it probably is racism. Ultimately, I don't get to decide because I'm a white guy that has no idea what racism feels like.

For obvious racism, let's say someone told my [relative] to "get out of my subdivision, you nasty Mexican" last Thursday. Again, I don't get to decide that isn't racist. However, I have the right to say that's racist because it's obvious.

I believe Chief Wahoo falls under obvious racism. Even if it's not, I don't get to decide it isn't racist.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
I don't think white people truly get to decide what is racist either, but it depends on how explicit the racism is. If it's subtle racism, that's less appropriate for a white person to call out. If it's obvious racism, that's fine to determine.

For subtle racism, let's say someone locks their car doors when my [relative] is near their car at the local library.  I don't get to tell my [relative] that isn't racism. However, I can say that it probably is racism. Ultimately, I don't get to decide because I'm a white guy that has no idea what racism feels like.

For obvious racism, let's say someone told my [relative] to "get out of my subdivision, you nasty Mexican" last Thursday. Again, I don't get to decide that isn't racist. However, I have the right to say that's racist because it's obvious.

I believe Chief Wahoo falls under obvious racism. Even if it's not, I don't get to decide it isn't racist.

Fair enough. I think people know where I stand on the issue of the logo.

I do think it's possible for white people to "experience" racism without it even being directed at them. In your examples you are still experiencing the racism, even though you aren't the Hispanic person being told to get out of the neighborhood you're in. It affects you differently than it does the person it is directed at for sure, but you're still experiencing it.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
I do think it's possible for white people to "experience" racism without it even being directed at them. In your examples you are still experiencing the racism, even though you aren't the Hispanic person being told to get out of the neighborhood you're in. It affects you differently than it does the person it is directed at for sure, but you're still experiencing it.

Unfortunately, my experience is completely different. I'm more able to empathize, but it's not the same because it doesn't happen to me. I don't know what it's like.

Honestly, even with a non-caucasian [relative], I rarely think about racism because I don't have to. Most of the people I know (who are predominantly white) are the same way.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
Like standing for the national anthem?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
First of all, Mascots and logos are not picked to denigrate but be something positive that people can relate to and be proud of. I don't think the Indians logo is racist or was ever intended to be such  and people who think only white people can be or are racist by the fact of existing are being a bit oversensitive. I have been the object of reverse racism and have seen my own  children verbally attacked with racial slurs for being white.  Real racism should be discouraged when encountered but IMO this controversy is overblown.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2016, 03:24:58 PM »
As has been stated by Mods, he uses VPN to hide his true IP address. VPNs also use dynamic IPs, they change very frequently. You can ban him but its Whackamole because his IP is always changing.

it's NOT chicos-that is all i will say
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
First of all, Mascots and logos are not picked to denigrate but be something positive that people can relate to and be proud of. I don't think the Indians logo is racist or was ever intended to be such  and people who think only white people can be or are racist by the fact of existing are being a bit oversensitive. I have been the object of reverse racism and have seen my own  children verbally attacked with racial slurs for being white.  Real racism should be discouraged when encountered but IMO this controversy is overblown.

bully on that-good luck with your explanation as i tried to do the same.  who wants a mascot that is weak and/or something not to be proud of? 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »
it's NOT chicos-that is all i will say

LOL. I love this cryptic 8th grade stuff. Just like Hoopaloop was "not Chicos," it was "someone else who let Chicos use their screen name."

brandx

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »

I don't think it was intended to be racist either. But times change.

I have no problem with the name Indians, but why not have a logo showing Indians in a positive light instead of a silly, probably racist caricature.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »
LOL. I love this cryptic 8th grade stuff. Just like Hoopaloop was "not Chicos," it was "someone else who let Chicos use their screen name."

Ding ding ding

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »

seriously?  then i'd refer you to henry sugar #129 above.  and who's living in some heads here, rent free?  who's in need of other hobbies?

"not now kato, you fool"!!   

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
seriously?  then i'd refer you to henry sugar #129 above.  and who's living in some heads here, rent free?  who's in need of other hobbies?

"not now kato, you fool"!!

I literally have no idea what any of this means.