[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Serious Thread  (Read 18214 times)

real chili 83

• All American
World Serious Thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
For Ernie

For Don

For Glen

For Jooody

For Ron

For Randy

For......

CUBS WIN   CUBS WIN  CUBS WIN

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: World Serious Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »
For my wife....

GO Tribe!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:31:52 PM »
Cheer for the Cubs? Or cheer for a franchise that has had some of the most racists logos in all of sports?

Even as much of SJW as I am....I find myself cheering for Cleveland.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »
Cheer for the Cubs? Or cheer for a franchise that currently has had some of the most racists the best logos in all of sports?

Even as much of SJW as I am....I find myself cheering for Cleveland.

FIFY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
What a great story line.

Two of the longest suffering franchises in history make the WS in the same year. The Cavs already broke Beleiveland's drought so...I guess it would be nice for the Cubs to end theirs.

Cleveland and Chicago both are by the lakes...is the weather holding off or will it be cold?

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 01:49:05 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 02:49:06 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 02:57:50 AM »
My grandfather died the same night of the Bartman game. Very emotional last night.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 03:47:57 AM »
This St. Louis Cardinals fan is cheering for a quick end to the World Series, a Cleveland Indians sweep and hope that the Cardinals get their act together this winter so that the Cubs resume their rightful post season place in front of their television sets.

The baseball post-season and Aaron Rodgers offensive woes is making me long more than ever for Marquette season to start!

At least Ohio State lost last night and Notre Dame sucks this year!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:50:25 AM by dgies9156 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
This St. Louis Cardinals fan is cheering for a quick end to the World Series, a Cleveland Indians sweep and hope that the Cardinals get their act together this winter so that the Cubs resume their rightful post season place in front of their television sets.

The baseball post-season and Aaron Rodgers offensive woes is making me long more than ever for Marquette season to start!

So you want to keep your streak going when Marquette begins their season? Please, route for some other college basketball team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
FIFY.

Yuck. 

We can argue all day about Warriors and its imagery.  Or even cases such as Seminoles and Sioux.

But "Indians" and Cheif Wahoo are clearly, clearly racist.  Anyone who considers that "one of the best logos in all of sports" has a warped thinking process.  (And in this case, says sh*t just to get attention.)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »

A Packers AND Cardinals fan?  Gross.

A piece of advice - I'd prepare yourself to see the Cubs playing into October fairly consistently in the coming years.  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:37:25 AM by Vander Blue Man Group »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
FIFY.

C'mon Wades. The Warriors have a solid case. There is nothing appropriate about Chief Wahoo.
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 10:58:20 AM »
Yuck. 

We can argue all day about Warriors and its imagery.  Or even cases such as Seminoles and Sioux.

But "Indians" and Cheif Wahoo are clearly, clearly racist.  Anyone who considers that "one of the best logos in all of sports" has a warped thinking process.  (And in this case, says sh*t just to get attention.)

At least they play on "Progressive Field".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:05:15 AM by muwarrior69 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
C'mon Wades. The Warriors have a solid case. There is nothing appropriate about Chief Wahoo.

I guess I don't get why people get offended by these things. Nobody is saying that every single Indian looks like the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo logo. They don't have some mascot doing some fake pow wow dance. They don't make fun of Native Americans. It's a nickname and a logo.

I'm Irish and would never consider that Notre Dame using the "Fighting Irish" and actually having a live mascot is offensive to me or any Irish. I don't get caught up thinking, "Holy cow how can a school think that all Irish people dress in green suits and a top hat and have red hair and a handle bar beard?"

I'd argue Warriors was, and is, far worse than the Indians. Using the Native American imagery for our Warrior nickname, especially with Willie Wampum, etc., is far worse than Chief Wahoo for the Indians. But people here (including myself, because again I don't buy into this notion that using a logo for a sports team means you think all of the group of people/animals/whatever that logo is looks just like that logo) won't move past the horrendous move the school made to change away from what they apparently consider racist (Warriors nickname with all the Native American imagery) but then get all up in arms over this. If it makes me a racist because I'm not all upset about a non-offensive nickname then I guess I'm a racist. But it's not like I sit here and think to myself, "My gosh! Cleveland's baseball team nickname is the Indians so all Indians must look like Chief Wahoo!"

If sports teams use nicknames that are actually derogatory I might start taking issue with it. But labeling Native Americans as "Warriors" was far worse than the Indians using Indian imagery. The faux outrage here over Chief Wahoo is funny to me coming from some people who won't move past the Warrior nickname.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
I guess I don't get why people get offended by these things. Nobody is saying that every single Indian looks like the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo logo. They don't have some mascot doing some fake pow wow dance. They don't make fun of Native Americans. It's a nickname and a logo.

I'm Irish and would never consider that Notre Dame using the "Fighting Irish" and actually having a live mascot is offensive to me or any Irish. I don't get caught up thinking, "Holy cow how can a school think that all Irish people dress in green suits and a top hat and have red hair and a handle bar beard?"

I'd argue Warriors was, and is, far worse than the Indians. Using the Native American imagery for our Warrior nickname, especially with Willie Wampum, etc., is far worse than Chief Wahoo for the Indians. But people here (including myself, because again I don't buy into this notion that using a logo for a sports team means you think all of the group of people/animals/whatever that logo is looks just like that logo) won't move past the horrendous move the school made to change away from what they apparently consider racist (Warriors nickname with all the Native American imagery) but then get all up in arms over this. If it makes me a racist because I'm not all upset about a non-offensive nickname then I guess I'm a racist. But it's not like I sit here and think to myself, "My gosh! Cleveland's baseball team nickname is the Indians so all Indians must look like Chief Wahoo!"

If sports teams use nicknames that are actually derogatory I might start taking issue with it. But labeling Native Americans as "Warriors" was far worse than the Indians using Indian imagery. The faux outrage here over Chief Wahoo is funny to me coming from some people who won't move past the Warrior nickname.

Out of respect for celebrating Cubs fans, I will not turn this into another native american mascot thread. You can look up the old Redskins thread and see all my viewpoints there. I think address every point you make except for the "it's ok if its racist because its not like a believe all native Americans look like that." That is a new one.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
Out of respect for celebrating Cubs fans, I will not turn this into another native american mascot thread. You can look up the old Redskins thread and see all my viewpoints there. I think address every point you make except for the "it's ok if its racist because its not like a believe all native Americans look like that." That is a new one.

I think many here are confusing racism and stereotyping. Big difference between the 2.

Would you refuse to take part if you were asked to draw different groups of people in a class because narrowing down entire groups of people down to one drawing is "racist" or "sexist?" If you're in a sociology class and your professor asks your class to draw a male and a female are you going to cry foul when a classmate draws 2 stick figures, one with long hair and the other with short hair, because they're being "sexist?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »
I think many here are confusing racism and stereotyping. Big difference between the 2.

Would you refuse to take part if you were asked to draw different groups of people in a class because narrowing down entire groups of people down to one drawing is "racist" or "sexist?" If you're in a sociology class and your professor asks your class to draw a male and a female are you going to cry foul when a classmate draws 2 stick figures, one with long hair and the other with short hair, because they're being "sexist?"

Stereotype:

Racist:

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
I think Racist is the most overused term in the English lexicon to the point that it is becoming impotent

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »
I think Racist is the most overused term in the English lexicon to the point that it is becoming impotent

I agree.  The Indians' logo is racist though.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »

I think the problem is actually that people don't recognize that there are levels of racism. Racism is a spectrum, not a definitive term. You can measure anything on the spectrum, the Indians' logo, a stick figure with long hair, or a sofa.  They'll all fall on different points of the spectrum from Blatantly Racist (the KKK) to Overly Inclusive (Safe spaces where contrary opinions are punished). A lot of the little things that get labeled as racist do fall on the racist side of the spectrum. All in all, they are not that big of a deal, everyone does them. The actual harm they can do is very limited. They still aren't good.

A lot of these issues boil down to the language we use. Most us agree on what the issues are (though their importance might differ) but we get into fights about the words we use to describe those issues.
TAMU

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
This is a really good World Series thread.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
This is a really good World Series thread.

There are like 5 of them.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
There are like 5 of them.

...and this is the first thread we've ever discussed Native American imagery in sports.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »