[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excitement for Season  (Read 13691 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Excitement for Season
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 10:40:58 AM »
Vandy will be good test to start.  They lost 2 NBA players, we lost 1
and have a new coach.

We have a new coach?  Missed that one.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
I agree with Lazar--- Epperson is height, needs weight. Saw Badgers
Red-White game. Van Vliet (built like Epperson), I think by the time B-10
rolls around is the "real deal". Epp with some poundage, could be in the same mold. Like our 2017 class. Cain is a keeper.
We must land Joey  or Race Thompson or both. We would be on the map with these guys.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
Not to speak for Goose, but that is a strong word there -- maybe some just have the opinion that the rebuild didnt need to be as deep, it could have happened quicker with a different recruiting strategy or more could have been done with the talent ...Nothing wrong with that.  No indictment just a healthy dose of skepticism.

I agree with you that that its results time from here forward and the academic discussions about the cupboard or judging just how deep of a hole we started in is done.....time to once again feel like we have a chance at the tourney every year.

Fair enough. Word choice was a bit strong. I believe the expectations were unrealistic, would have been better.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Wades

I agree that Buzz had no interest from other schools and I thought it was an irresponsible and uniformed hire at the time. It turned out well on the court but ended ugly. That said, what does Buzz have to do with Wojo sitting next to Coach K or all those years and not landing a HC job?

I am not down or giving up on Wojo, yet. We are nearing another important stage in MU ball history and I hope Wojo passes the test. Unfortunately I am not overly confident he has what it takes to get the job done.

Don't really buy this argument. Wojo sat next to one or both of Dawkins and Collins for 14 years too. He had name recognition, sure, but no big name program wants to hire a 3rd assistant even if it is from Duke. Imagine MU hiring Wojo if Dawkins and/or Collins were still at Duke. Scoop would crap its collective self. Once they left and he was lead assistant, he started to get more recognition as a HC candidate.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »
IMO at this point we are just at the beginning of the rebuilding process and think vast improvement is needed sooner than later. I honestly am not sure Wojo can coach or not. One thing I do know is that it took Wojo an awfully long time to a HC gig and that worried me at the time.

That's interesting. Didn't it seem like he was sticking around for the HC job at Duke, though? I'd have to assume schools  offered him jobs in the past but he only seriously entertained an offer after Coach K said he was sticking around another 5 years and the fit seemed right.

I don't disagree with you, though: dude can recruit but we just don't know if he can coach.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
That's interesting. Didn't it seem like he was sticking around for the HC job at Duke, though? I'd have to assume schools  offered him jobs in the past but he only seriously entertained an offer after Coach K said he was sticking around another 5 years and the fit seemed right.

I don't disagree with you, though: dude can recruit but we just don't know if he can coach.

Now whether Wojo was buttering up the MU faithful or not, I'm not sure. But I seem to remember him saying something along the lines of MU being a right fit because of their Basketball first tradition.

Don't quote me though. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
Don't really buy this argument. Wojo sat next to one or both of Dawkins and Collins for 14 years too. He had name recognition, sure, but no big name program wants to hire a 3rd assistant even if it is from Duke. Imagine MU hiring Wojo if Dawkins and/or Collins were still at Duke. Scoop would crap its collective self. Once they left and he was lead assistant, he started to get more recognition as a HC candidate.

Put this another way...

Tom Crean was an assistant for 12 years before becoming a head coach at 34 years old.
Buzz Williams:  12 year, if you county becoming coach for one year at UNO, at 34.

Wojo was an assistant for 15 years and 37 when he came here.

That isn't really all that different.  He just happened to be an assistant at one place.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
We have a new coach?  Missed that one.

They do!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
They do!

I know.  But that was not what you typed.  #grammarmatters

Just giving you a hard time if you couldn't tell.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
I know.  But that was not what you typed.  #grammarmatters

Just giving you a hard time if you couldn't tell.

I know,  sometimes I just type and do not proofread.  I never got an A in English, maybe an A in business.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
One thing we can agree on.  We are all excited about the season starting and seeing our Warriors on the court.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
Tom Crean was an assistant for 12 years before becoming a head coach at 34 years old.
Buzz Williams:  12 year, if you county becoming coach for one year at UNO, at 34.

That isn't really all that different.  He just happened to be an assistant at one place.

Great point. Ultimately, Wojo will have to stand on his own. This season and the next will say everything about who he is as a coach.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
Jamal Cain is on a few top 100 lists and is 95 in the RSCI top 100.  So that's one 4 star recruit.

Theo John rebounds, defends, set screens, and blocks shots.  His offense is a bit raw so he is not rated a 4 star.  But coaches value the things John does well.  Hopefully they can help him develop on offense.

Eke is raw but big and athletic.  Fits our need for size.

Hopefully Epperson in the spring, which would be another 4 star in some rankings.

I don't care what they are ranked; can they play. A lot of successful teams don't have star recruits. Quite a few of Buzz's 4 stars turned out to be duds.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
I don't care what they are ranked; can they play. A lot of successful teams don't have star recruits. Quite a few of Buzz's 4 stars turned out to be duds.

Erik Williams and Jamail Jones were stars!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2016, 08:17:19 AM »

I agree that is the key.  Rankings are fun for fans.  They have some predictability in the long run but that breaks down at the individual level.

I was responding to those who are lamenting our recruiting slipping.  This class has the size we need and some nice athleticism.  Wojo and the staff need to do their job and develop these players.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
Erik Williams and Jamail Jones were stars!

For that matter, JJJ was really highly ranked, he has been OK at times, but Top 50 his year, not sure he has earned that high ranking as well.  I really believe that maybe
Top 20 kids have a chance to go to the pros.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
Good point, maybe MU should try and get into the Top 20 in 20 years or so, I will be in my eighties then.  Lets face it,  the years of 67-77 are long gone, can not top those years for excitement, Top 10, 10 straight years.  To win the whole thing again is very, very slim.  But having the same success as Buzz did, was fine.  That is
what Wojo and program should strive for.  The ability to compete with Butler, X would be great.  Maybe never get to Villy level, but why not.  The board is excited about
being 2-4 against the good teams, how about 4-2.  Joey and Bailey and 2 more recruits of significance in the next few years, might get MU back.  Hope it happens.  Looks
to me, Wojo has 2 freshman to build with.  The 3 next year will help as well.
I am not really expecting MU to win another title in my lifetime. Heck, I am not expecting the Big East to win another title in my lifetime. What are reasonable expectations? I think we should be as good or better than Xavier. We should expect each preseason to pick up a basketball magazine and see that we are predicted to make the tournament. We may not, but it should be a real possibility. I think we generally expect to get at least to the round of 32.  Being in the round of 32 may not even mean you are a top 20 team, so it is not an unreasonable expectation.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
I am not really expecting MU to win another title in my lifetime. Heck, I am not expecting the Big East to win another title in my lifetime. What are reasonable expectations? I think we should be as good or better than Xavier. We should expect each preseason to pick up a basketball magazine and see that we are predicted to make the tournament. We may not, but it should be a real possibility. I think we generally expect to get at least to the round of 32.  Being in the round of 32 may not even mean you are a top 20 team, so it is not an unreasonable expectation.

I don't know how old you are and certainly hope you are able to see MU win another title. I expect the Big East to win another one in the next 10 years at the very longest. The conference is on it's way up in a big way and this year Nova/Xavier could realistically win it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »

Put this another way...

Silly Sultan ... you and your damn facts.

I'm optimistic. I viewed last year as a nice stepping stone. I have high hopes for Wojo and I hope he realizes his potential as a coach this season. I mean, lots of Marquette fans and plenty of Hoosiers contend Crean STILL can't coach.

I am as big a Warriors fan as anybody, and of course I want to win big again. I went to our Elite 8 run in DC and had an effen blast before, during and after that Miami game. I'm just extremely realistic when it comes to rebuilding.

Plus, I just don't let myself get overly frustrated at things I can't control. I know that venting is one of the purposes of sites such as Scoop, so I guess it's my personality that I simply can't get too wound up about 18-22 year olds playing a game for the amusement of old men.

Go Warriors!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
For that matter, JJJ was really highly ranked, he has been OK at times, but Top 50 his year, not sure he has earned that high ranking as well.  I really believe that maybe
Top 20 kids have a chance to go to the pros.

That's why when I look at Holylandofhoops and see all the Creighton or Xavier fans going crazy because they got some highly ranked commitment I find myself laughing. They'll get to that jaded "wait and see" moment though
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
I don't know how old you are and certainly hope you are able to see MU win another title. I expect the Big East to win another one in the next 10 years at the very longest. The conference is on it's way up in a big way and this year Nova/Xavier could realistically win it.
I am 64, and I may not last 10 years.
As far as Big East Villanova won last year and I am guessing previously it was 1985, so maybe in another 30 years
MU won in 1977 so 39 years in counting
Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence do not have a title.
I do not think St. John's have ever won a title
Georgetown with Ewing, which has to 30+ years ago.
Sure the Big East could win a title in the next 10 years, but how likely is it? You do not have to be the best team to win it, you just have to be playing really well and win the nail biter you will likely play in the tournament.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2016, 03:50:19 PM »

I don't know, just ask the Big 10 how hard it is to win National championships
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback