[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excitement for Season  (Read 13687 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Excitement for Season
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
Keefe

Not sold on Wojo as a coach here. Expected a great deal more last year and year was another disappointment. This is big year for the program. Who knows, maybe they want to be SLU after all.

Silly.

We won 20, won a non-con tournament against a team with one of the best players in the nation, beat several ranked teams, doubled our conference win total. All with 3 freshman starters.

You're allowed to think what you want, obviously, but I enjoyed most of last season and thought it was a major step in the right direction.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
IMO at this point we are just at the beginning of the rebuilding process and think vast improvement is needed sooner than later. I honestly am not sure Wojo can coach or not. One thing I do know is that it took Wojo an awfully long time to a HC gig and that worried me at the time.

As far my expectations for the program, I want to see us win and win big. I can handle a rebuild if the end game is better than the pre-rebuild. Buzz had two S16 and E8 and some big wins. Buzz one upped TC and Wojo has yet to get us out of the batters box.

It wasn't for a lack of opportunity.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »

As far my expectations for the program, I want to see us win and win big. I can handle a rebuild if the end game is better than the pre-rebuild. Buzz had two S16 and E8 and some big wins. Buzz one upped TC and Wojo has yet to get us out of the batters box.

Agree 100%. It was clear to me that Buzz had "it" very early (late January of his first year) and I wrote as much here. Two and a half years in I'm not similarly sold on Wojo. Fingers still crossed.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »
I'm guardedly optimistic this year. I've said many times in here that our freshmen are now sophomores and therefore more capable of playing defense on a collegiate level.

My optimism stems from the importation of senior leadership, excitement around JJJ and the hope that if we play defense on the perimeter effectively, Big Fish won't be in near constant foul trouble.

We also have more depth than I've seen since the Hillbilly retreated to the Hills and it appears we can shoot. I'm hoping we've solved the point guard problem that has plagued us since Junior was graduated and if we can rebound, the sky is the limit.

Go Warriors!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:11 PM »
MU82

That is successful season for SLU and you made my point. Sitting at home in March for third straight season is not a success in my book. I have far bigger hopes for the program than beating a team with a top three player, beating a couple of ranked teams (especially because nowadays about 50 teams a year are ranked at some point) and doubling conference wins. Thus far Wojo gets a low passing grade IMO.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
Wadesworld

Wojo has NEVER a hot commodity assistant coach prospect. His name popped up for mid level jobs but he was not a stud schools chased after. KO and TC were stud assistants and ton of programs wanted them. Wojo, not so much.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »
MU82

That is successful season for SLU and you made my point. Sitting at home in March for third straight season is not a success in my book. I have far bigger hopes for the program than beating a team with a top three player, beating a couple of ranked teams (especially because nowadays about 50 teams a year are ranked at some point) and doubling conference wins. Thus far Wojo gets a low passing grade IMO.

Bert is to blame for the first 2 years of our tourney-less run. And Wojo getting us to 8-10 in the BE last year is a testament to his ability. The talent from Bert's last year to now in 3 years is pretty remarkable.

Also, Wojo had MUCH more interest in MUCH better jobs than Bert did before he was named MU's head coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Boone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
Wojo's recruiting shortcomings (i.e. inability to land a 4 for this season), will likely play a bigger factor than any perceived coaching issues. This team is going to get hammered nightly on the boards. It'll be the main reason behind most losses.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
Bert is to blame for the first 2 years of our tourney-less run. And Wojo getting us to 8-10 in the BE last year is a testament to his ability. The talent from Bert's last year to now in 3 years is pretty remarkable.

Also, Wojo had MUCH more interest in MUCH better jobs than Bert did before he was named MU's head coach.

Wojo has done nothing "remarkable". This is season #3 for him. He has 4 RSCI top 100 guys still on the team from the Buzz era. In his third season Buzz didn't have any players left over from the Crean regime - he went to the first of back to back S16s followed by an Elite 8. I hope Wojo improves on that but I don't think it's likely.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 04:52:47 AM »
Wades

I agree that Buzz had no interest from other schools and I thought it was an irresponsible and uniformed hire at the time. It turned out well on the court but ended ugly. That said, what does Buzz have to do with Wojo sitting next to Coach K or all those years and not landing a HC job?

I am not down or giving up on Wojo, yet. We are nearing another important stage in MU ball history and I hope Wojo passes the test. Unfortunately I am not overly confident he has what it takes to get the job done.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 05:32:53 AM »
Wades

I agree that Buzz had no interest from other schools and I thought it was an irresponsible and uniformed hire at the time. It turned out well on the court but ended ugly. That said, what does Buzz have to do with Wojo sitting next to Coach K or all those years and not landing a HC job?

I am not down or giving up on Wojo, yet. We are nearing another important stage in MU ball history and I hope Wojo passes the test. Unfortunately I am not overly confident he has what it takes to get the job done.
When it comes right down to it, I am not yet 'sold' on Wojo.   I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt, because to my eyes I do see progress and growth.   IMO, the key going forward is his ability to grow beyond his Duke roots. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 05:49:57 AM »
When it comes right down to it, I am not yet 'sold' on Wojo.   I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt, because to my eyes I do see progress and growth.   IMO, the key going forward is his ability to grow beyond his Duke roots.

I agree with you and I'm willing to give him at least two more season to see if he can turn the program around. As Boone stated below we have no 4 star recruits in this next class; let's hope the coaching staff sees something that we do not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 06:07:43 AM »
I agree with you and I'm willing to give him at least two more season to see if he can turn the program around. As Boone stated below we have no 4 star recruits in this next class; let's hope the coaching staff sees something that we do not.
I see size and athleticism.   With the exception of TJ, none is going to need to contribute immediately.   IE is the kind of project you want, long and athletic with a huge upside.   I am not worried about this class.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
Actually, by a '4', I was referring to the absence of a PF on the present team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »

I am here as well.  I by and large like what I see, but I'm not entirely convinced.  I think this year really will tell us a lot.  By and large his guys are the contributors, and even though players like JJJ and Duane weren't recruited by him, they are in year three.  Wojo had to learn and grow as a coach.  So we will see if it comes together this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
What I see as a potential problem for Wojo is that not getting to the tournament can hurt recruiting. The rank of the recruits he is  able to pursue seems to be dropping. For recruiting purposes he needs to make the tournament this year to show recruits the team is moving in the right direction. Not getting to the tournament may not have to do with coaching (more about team building), but will put a lot of pressure on him in recruiting and by fans. I think this year basically seals Wojo's fate. He will not be fired after this year, but I see nothing that makes me believe next years team will be better, so not making the tournament this year likely means it turns into a five year drought and patience will become very thin.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »

I am here as well.  I by and large like what I see, but I'm not entirely convinced.  I think this year really will tell us a lot.  By and large his guys are the contributors, and even though players like JJJ and Duane weren't recruited by him, they are in year three.  Wojo had to learn and grow as a coach.  So we will see if it comes together this year.

This is my position as well.  Optimistic about a few things but dont really know if it means success.  This year is big for Wojo -- if he has 'it' - we should see it in the performance on the floor this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:40 AM »
Wojo has done nothing "remarkable". This is season #3 for him. He has 4 RSCI top 100 guys still on the team from the Buzz era. In his third season Buzz didn't have any players left over from the Crean regime - he went to the first of back to back S16s followed by an Elite 8. I hope Wojo improves on that but I don't think it's likely.

I for the most part agree with this. This is the year where comparisons to Buzz start to become valid for Wojo. This is the year I expected to see some results by. If we miss the postseason again, I'll be concerned. If we make the NIT I'll be happy with progress but unhappy because we are "behind schedule" in my original expectations for the rebuild. Make the tournament? All is well!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »

Coaching starts with recruiting.  If you can not get a Power Forward this year,  Henry leaving, puts him behind the 8 ball.  Instead of trying to get a grad transfer, he
should have tried for a JC kid, who would be here for 2 or 3 years.  My question, is the administration against that due to the Buzz era?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
I think a lot of the concern for a rebuild process comes from older people who are likely to die soon. It's a simple hope but they'd like to see Marquette relevant on the national stage one more time before giving in to the everlasting rest. Can't fault their fear.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
I think a lot of the concern for a rebuild process comes from older people who are likely to die soon. It's a simple hope but they'd like to see Marquette relevant on the national stage one more time before giving in to the everlasting rest. Can't fault their fear.

Damn

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »
Damn

Good point, maybe MU should try and get into the Top 20 in 20 years or so, I will be in my eighties then.  Lets face it,  the years of 67-77 are long gone, can not top those years for excitement, Top 10, 10 straight years.  To win the whole thing again is very, very slim.  But having the same success as Buzz did, was fine.  That is
what Wojo and program should strive for.  The ability to compete with Butler, X would be great.  Maybe never get to Villy level, but why not.  The board is excited about
being 2-4 against the good teams, how about 4-2.  Joey and Bailey and 2 more recruits of significance in the next few years, might get MU back.  Hope it happens.  Looks
to me, Wojo has 2 freshman to build with.  The 3 next year will help as well.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 10:19:13 AM »
Rebuilds take time. Sadly, we often times see teams that have a transition from NCAA team to NCAA team when there is a coach switch. Unfortunately we had a mass exodus from buzz's last year that left us 8 total players. Down to 6 in the BE season with injuries and transfers.
Last year was technically rebuild year 1.

Not trying to be a Wojo apologist (although I like him and am hopeful), but I'd say year one went well.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »

Jamal Cain is on a few top 100 lists and is 95 in the RSCI top 100.  So that's one 4 star recruit.

Theo John rebounds, defends, set screens, and blocks shots.  His offense is a bit raw so he is not rated a 4 star.  But coaches value the things John does well.  Hopefully they can help him develop on offense.

Eke is raw but big and athletic.  Fits our need for size.

Hopefully Epperson in the spring, which would be another 4 star in some rankings.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
Rebuilds take time. Sadly, we often times see teams that have a transition from NCAA team to NCAA team when there is a coach switch. Unfortunately we had a mass exodus from buzz's last year that left us 8 total players. Down to 6 in the BE season with injuries and transfers.
Last year was technically rebuild year 1.

Not trying to be a Wojo apologist (although I like him and am hopeful), but I'd say year one went well.

Year 2 should be better, deepest team in a long time, not even sure who starts or minutes used.  Lost Henry, but gained 4 players, that all have the ability to score.
Plus experience with returnees and the 2 transfers.  Schedule is harder, not as many cupcakes.  Vandy will be good test to start.  They lost 2 NBA players, we lost 1
and have a new coach.