[Today at 01:33:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette v UWM?  (Read 5966 times)

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Marquette v UWM?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
They can want to all the want....don't care, ain't happening.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
It's the economy, stupid.

We own all the leverage over UWM and have no reason to fill up their stadium without a significant share of revenue. To that end, I would be shocked if there is a home and home deal with them. They're a buy game we don't need to pay expenses for. Until they admit that and that they don't move the needle for "basketball in MKE", we won't play them and won't care that we don't play them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
I find UWM as laughable as the next fan.   However, MU already does a fair amount of buy games anyway.    Treat UWM as a buy game.     Occasionally, if the home schedule is full, go across the street and get credit for a road game.    In the end, it really does no harm.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
I find UWM as laughable as the next fan.   However, MU already does a fair amount of buy games anyway.    Treat UWM as a buy game.     Occasionally, if the home schedule is full, go across the street and get credit for a road game.    In the end, it really does no harm.   

I think UWM fancies itself an equal player in this deal. Their pride/ignorance/idiot AD is the hold-up

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »
I think UWM fancies itself an equal player in this deal. Their pride/ignorance/idiot AD is the hold-up
They were just gifted $1M for their program so it's pretty close right?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
Did you guys even read the article?  It's going to happen.  It would be on this year's schedule if they could have agreed on a date.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »

I'm with tower. I despise UWM and my undergrad was from there. Their counselers are crap, the campus is crap... but if MU can get a 4:1. Take it. Why not. Better buy game than a #260 team. Plus every 5 years we get an away game that counts. And it would be atleast 1/4 full of our fans.

As much as I don't want it, I'm partially ok with it.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »
Did you guys even read the article?  It's going to happen.  It would be on this year's schedule if they could have agreed on a date.

I interpret their respective quotes differently, I guess. The person with more to gain is much more optimistic, which is what one would expect in negotiations that are ongoing but not imminent.

That said, I agree with fjm that a 4:1 not the worst thing in the world.

On another note, can we pretend that UWMs upset last year is the reason UW didn't renew?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »

On another note, can we pretend that UWMs upset last year is the reason UW didn't renew?

We don't have to pretend... let's roll with it. I'm just surprised UW didn't take MU off the schedule also.  :o

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »
UW will take MU off of future schedules after we beat 'em again this year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 03:23:38 PM »
We don't have to pretend... let's roll with it. I'm just surprised UW didn't take MU off the schedule also.  :o

Plus, MU forced Bo to coach one more game.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 04:28:03 PM »
It's the economy, stupid.

We own all the leverage over UWM and have no reason to fill up their stadium without a significant share of revenue. To that end, I would be shocked if there is a home and home deal with them. They're a buy game we don't need to pay expenses for. Until they admit that and that they don't move the needle for "basketball in MKE", we won't play them and won't care that we don't play them.

A road win is extremely valuable from an RPI perspective. Playing UWM would be an away game where a) we don't have to travel, b) the majority of fans in the house are going to be ours and c) we're likely to win regardless of venue.

The RPI benefit to us far exceeds the value of pretending that by not playing them we somehow hold them back. They're a low major and always going to be a low major.  Us playing them at their place doesn't legitimize them any more than Wisconsin playing at their place magically transformed them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »

Best comment ever on the UWM thing.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
If UWM wants to play at the BC, fine. Otherwise, the only way they get to see us is in the tournament or buying a ticket. Playing at their building should never again be on the table.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:04:49 PM »
A road win is extremely valuable from an RPI perspective. Playing UWM would be an away game where a) we don't have to travel, b) the majority of fans in the house are going to be ours and c) we're likely to win regardless of venue.

The RPI benefit to us far exceeds the value of pretending that by not playing them we somehow hold them back. They're a low major and always going to be a low major.  Us playing them at their place doesn't legitimize them any more than Wisconsin playing at their place magically transformed them.

I've long had this same thought.  Anyone have any clue what this RPI bump would look like?

Back in 2009 or 2010 or 2011 when MU only beeat UWM by 4, was that on their court or MU's?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »
I've long had this same thought.  Anyone have any clue what this RPI bump would look like?

Back in 2009 or 2010 or 2011 when MU only beeat UWM by 4, was that on their court or MU's?

Their court.  2010 (linked article has this wrong).  By three points.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:07:36 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »

I suspect it was more than just agreeing on a date.  Marquette had, in theory, four open spots on the calendar.  UWM is out of town for one, hosting Jacksonville on another, hosting Belmont on a third (they are going to lose this game), and completely off on the fourth because it's in the middle of their final exams.

That's at least two games that UWM could have opted to play Marquette instead of hosting a game, and if you're going to lose to Belmont anyway, why not take the payday against Marquette?  Something else held this up.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »
We just dropped these guys, and there will likely never be a return of UW to play at UWM in the future.  Our administration determined there is no upside.  Circumstances may be different for you guys.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »
Road wins are great. If we're going to do three or four for one, actually go on the road. Look at Evansville, Valparaiso, or other less local opponents. Milwaukee and Green Bay shouldn't be those opponents.

As the Badger fan said, they just dropped these teams as road games. No reason we should take a step back I that regard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »

The article did not say it was going to happen.  As for this year...Braun said "We were hoping to have that this year " - hoping is far different than saying "Marquette agreed to play but..."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
Honestly, for the city, it would be nice for MU and UWM to kickoff the new arena in NCAA game #1. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »
Honestly, for the city, it would be nice for MU and UWM to kickoff the new arena in NCAA game #1.

Fook that chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback