Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU media day  (Read 9055 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: MU media day
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
If we can utilize how deep we are and successfully implement something similar to Shaka's old havoc or even the Nova 3/4 press, that's screwed us up so many times over the years, then I think we'll be fine.

Our guards will have to step up big time to just make our half court defense serviceable.  Too often opposing guards were able to blow by our guards and penetrate last year.

I am cautiously optimistic that we can make the leap above.  I am skeptical we can successfully install something brand new & complex like havoc...but I hope I am wrong.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Our guards will have to step up big time to just make our half court defense serviceable.  Too often opposing guards were able to blow by our guards and penetrate last year.

I am cautiously optimistic that we can make the leap above.  I am skeptical we can successfully install something brand new & complex like havoc...but I hope I am wrong.

This. I've been a little worried about Wojo as a defensive coach. It may be talent, but our guards have gotten abused off the dribble the last few years. The thought of us extending the defense has me a little nervous that it will lead to a lot of open layups or Luke getting into foul trouble.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
No opinions allowed until we reach 5 years
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
The only way for an undersized team to prevent themselves from getting dominated down low is to make it difficult for teams to enter the ball into the post by extending pressure up top. Too bad Crean couldn't figure this out against the Lopez goons.

this assumes the team can also hit from outside....

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
This. I've been a little worried about Wojo as a defensive coach. It may be talent, but our guards have gotten abused off the dribble the last few years. The thought of us extending the defense has me a little nervous that it will lead to a lot of open layups or Luke getting into foul trouble.
it's the duke way...hopefully we get the same results, but teams can exploit it if guards are aggressive.  we all remember the the 3 amigo's taking it to duke's extended defense. also well documented when coach k tried to use that defense with team USA and the players objected.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
One thing that was really stark in Matt's article that some might view as an excuse but I think should put Wojo's tenure in perspective.

Wojo's first year he had 8 scholarship players, his second year he only had 4 returning players. This year he has a full roster and returns the majority of his team. This is the year we start to judge him and the results.

Another great article from Matt. Luke's quote also stood out to me:

"It fuels the fire," Fischer said. "Being picked seventh again at Big East media day it was hard to see. You get a feel of what everyone else thinks about you around the Big East. We're going to use that once again to fuel us and to get us going and to make sure we end the season the right way."

That's a strong statement from one of our three seniors. Winners turn adversity to their advantage and find motivation wherever they can — inventing it if they have to. Hopefully this mindset carries through to the rest of the team.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »
I was in Tokyo at my son's place watching the game on his computer. It ended at around 4am and I went out for a walk so that my swearing and anguished cries didn't wake everyone.

I was on a plane. We booked a 2 hour flight about 10 months in advance. Chances Marquette would be playing on that day, and that timeslot? Slim.

We walked off the plane into the PHX airport just in time to see Stanford's last possession.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
"This team" is MU.  Making grand statements about how Marquette needs to have higher expectations is fine and good, but you have to realize its a journey.  Simply making the tournament this year would be a positive step on this journey.
and not making it would be what kind of journey?
I would not expect to make it next year, if we do not make it this year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
and not making it would be what kind of journey? I would not expect to make it next year, if we do not make it this year.

I'm a little confused. We didn't make the NCAA tournament this year (2016). We could make the tournament next year (2017), which would be a clear step forward from last season (2015-16).

As for the journey metaphor, that can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. The ongoing journey of MU basketball over the past century? The team's journey under Wojo's leadership? Our journey as fans for the upcoming season?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »

As for the journey metaphor, that can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. The ongoing journey of MU basketball over the past century? The team's journey under Wojo's leadership? Our journey as fans for the upcoming season?

Journey's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
I was on a plane. We booked a 2 hour flight about 10 months in advance. Chances Marquette would be playing on that day, and that timeslot? Slim.

We walked off the plane into the PHX airport just in time to see Stanford's last possession.

I was in a bar in Puerto Vallarta. My favorite sports bar there. I walked into a room full of 25ish people clothed in Stanford gear. That possession broke me.

However, the waiter that was serving me and knew me kept bringing me Negra Modelo and yelling "Los Marquet-teys!" whenever he entered the room. So I had that going for me.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 02:29:18 PM »
We will see.  I think when coaches say "9-10 deep," it usually defaults to the ninth and tenth guys getting scrap minutes or playing a certain role.  If they still have 10 guys getting 10+ minutes at the start of conference season, I would be surprised.

I get what your're saying. 

On the other hand, if only 7-8 are part of the "real" rotation, then we have four or five scholarship players that are destined for scrap minutes, and I can't see that either.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

On the other hand, if only 7-8 are part of the "real" rotation, then we have four or five scholarship players that are destined for scrap minutes, and I can't see that either.

Why not? Isn't that what happens at most D1 schools every year?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »
Wojo probably wants to make line substitutions to keep fresh legs on the floor

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »
We will see.  I think when coaches say "9-10 deep," it usually defaults to the ninth and tenth guys getting scrap minutes or playing a certain role.  If they still have 10 guys getting 10+ minutes at the start of conference season, I would be surprised.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you.    Not this year.    I think Wojo is going to extend pressure and push tempo.    Nobody getting much more than 26-28 mpg.    Luke due to foul trouble, every other position because you can only play so many consecutive minutes at the speed Wojo wants to play.   IMO, we see Wojo's version of Havoc and 40 minutes of hell.    9-10 deep into conference play.  Maybe 11.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
Ordinarily, I would agree with you.    Not this year.    I think Wojo is going to extend pressure and push tempo.    Nobody getting much more than 26-28 mpg.    Luke due to foul trouble, every other position because you can only play so many consecutive minutes at the speed Wojo wants to play.   IMO, we see Wojo's version of Havoc and 40 minutes of hell.    9-10 deep into conference play.  Maybe 11.

I actually hope this is correct - that team would would be fun to watch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »

+1

I actually hope this is correct - that team would would be fun to watch.

+2
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback