[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU media day  (Read 9203 times)

tower912

• All American
MU media day
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
http://www.scout.com/college/marquette/forums/2850-mens-hoops/15067665-media-day

I hate to bring Dodds over here, but nobody here is discussing MU's media day or Wojo's thoughts on the team.     
Going to go 9-10 deep.
Going to be switchable.....errrr...... interchangeable.   ::)
Going to extend the defense
Going to play more aggressively as no one will need to conserve energy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:55:28 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: MU media day
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:04:48 PM »
http://www.scout.com/college/marquette/forums/2850-mens-hoops/15067665-media-day

I hate to bring Dodds over here, but nobody here is discussing MU's media day or Wojo's thoughts on the team.     
Going to go 9-10 deep.
Going to be switchable.....errrr...... interchangeable.   ::)
Going to play more aggressively as no one will need to conserve energy.
Was wating for Matt's report should be up any time I guess
https://twitter.com/matt_velazquez/status/788854101396316160
Goal is National Championship

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »

This feels like a bad idea.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
This feels like a bad idea.

The only way for an undersized team to prevent themselves from getting dominated down low is to make it difficult for teams to enter the ball into the post by extending pressure up top. Too bad Crean couldn't figure this out against the Lopez goons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GOO

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »
The thing that stood out most to me at Madness was Howard's ability to play on ball, in the grill defense, away from the hoop. He is going to be pesky and an annoyance to our foes. One of those defenders that gets shoved during a game due to frustrating his man away from the basket. Or so I'm hoping that's what I saw.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »
The only way for an undersized team to prevent themselves from getting dominated down low is to make it difficult for teams to enter the ball into the post by extending pressure up top. Too bad Crean couldn't figure this out against the Lopez goons.

+1

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »

I'm not a Crean fan but his defensive philosophy as a whole was light years better than Wojo's.  personally I think this is the area that Wojo needs to clean up the most
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
If we make the NCAA tournament next March and then lose to some bigger team, you won't hear a single complaint from me.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
If we make the NCAA tournament next March and then lose to some bigger team, you won't hear a single complaint from me.

If Wojo's team blows a double digit lead with the opposition's assistant running the show I'll be complaining.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »
If Wojo's team blows a double digit lead with the opposition's assistant running the show I'll be complaining.

Especially if we play off their crappy ball handler and let him lob pass after pass to a guy being guarded by someone 7 inches shorter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
Especially if we play off their crappy ball handler and let him lob pass after pass to a guy being guarded by someone 7 inches shorter.

Yup.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »

My point is that simply making the tournament next season would mark a huge accomplishment. Most doubt Marquette will be a better team without Henry Ellenson. Most pick us for the bottom half of the Big East, which most predict will be even tougher this year.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »

Guys you're making me sad stop please

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »
Guys you're making me sad stop please

I was in Tokyo at my son's place watching the game on his computer. It ended at around 4am and I went out for a walk so that my swearing and anguished cries didn't wake everyone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »
I was in Tokyo at my son's place watching the game on his computer. It ended at around 4am and I went out for a walk so that my swearing and anguished cries didn't wake everyone.

The folks in Meguro still talk about the crazy gaijin screaming "Crean" at 0400...

Death on call

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »
Most of the strategy has already been talked about here, bit it os interesting how aware the team is in the need to make the rournament.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2016/10/20/mu-aims-keep-building-through-change/92382346/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
Most of the strategy has already been talked about here, bit it os interesting how aware the team is in the need to make the rournament.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2016/10/20/mu-aims-keep-building-through-change/92382346/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

I think going 9 to 10 deep is the right thing for this team. Depth of guard is our biggest strength. I wonder who the two players are who sit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
We will see.  I think when coaches say "9-10 deep," it usually defaults to the ninth and tenth guys getting scrap minutes or playing a certain role.  If they still have 10 guys getting 10+ minutes at the start of conference season, I would be surprised. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 07:44:48 AM »
My point is that simply making the tournament next season would mark a huge accomplishment. Most doubt Marquette will be a better team without Henry Ellenson. Most pick us for the bottom half of the Big East, which most predict will be even tougher this year.
Maybe for this team, but it is not for MU. MU should not be missing the tournament 4 straight years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
Maybe for this team, but it is not for MU. MU should not be missing the tournament 4 straight years.

"This team" is MU.  Making grand statements about how Marquette needs to have higher expectations is fine and good, but you have to realize its a journey.  Simply making the tournament this year would be a positive step on this journey.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »

We are where we are. It's nice to remember where we were, but the Buzz aftermath happened. It's time we accepted that. Getting back to the tournament would be a huge accomplishment and be a sign that returning to where we were is possible.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »
One thing that was really stark in Matt's article that some might view as an excuse but I think should put Wojo's tenure in perspective.

Wojo's first year he had 8 scholarship players, his second year he only had 4 returning players. This year he has a full roster and returns the majority of his team. This is the year we start to judge him and the results.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »
We will see.  I think when coaches say "9-10 deep," it usually defaults to the ninth and tenth guys getting scrap minutes or playing a certain role.  If they still have 10 guys getting 10+ minutes at the start of conference season, I would be surprised.

I usually would agree. But when you are this undersized and this deep at guard, I think playing an extended high pressure defense and a fast paced offense is your best move. You need to rotate a lot of players in to keep that up. This year will be a real test of Wojos bench ability. Knowing who and when to sub in these kinds of lineups is vital
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 08:55:03 AM »
If we can utilize how deep we are and successfully implement something similar to Shaka's old havoc or even the Nova 3/4 press, that's screwed us up so many times over the years, then I think we'll be fine.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
One thing that was really stark in Matt's article that some might view as an excuse but I think should put Wojo's tenure in perspective.

Wojo's first year he had 8 scholarship players, his second year he only had 4 returning players. This year he has a full roster and returns the majority of his team. This is the year we start to judge him and the results.

I agree and we still don't have 13 scholarship players for the entire season. When was the last time that happened? If we make the post season, NCAA or NIT, that will be progress. Our achilles heal this season will be defense and if our "shooters" are not as advertised we're doomed.

We'll see what we have when we play Vandy to start the season.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:08:51 AM by muwarrior69 »

feedback