[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We're # 49!  (Read 10537 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: We're # 49!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Even if Kostas didn't play a single game for Marquette I would still support the decision to offer him. It would have been good for the city of Milwaukee. I'm actually shocked the Bucks weren't in Marquette's ear with the recent collusion and new athletic center, pushing our hand to offer him. It would provide a huge amount of stability for keeping Giannis on the Bucks long-term, even longer than his recent extension. The man is all about family. This is especially true considering Milwaukee is in the bottom 5 markets for NBA free agents. 50k a year for Kostas' scholarship is nothing compared to $25+ mil a year that Giannis can demand in a few years as he continues to develop and as the salary cap continues to grow. Dumb move by Marquette, even dumber move by Milwaukee.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
This has got to be the most foolish and self-righteous thing I have ever heard. You do realize that the only reason we're moving to a new arena is because of the Bucks right? Or that we are building a new athletics performance center because of our affiliation with the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee? Have all forgotten about the days when a recruiting pitch was playing in an NBA market where you can practice with NBA players and have exposure to scouts at the highest level? Having a successful NBA franchise increases state and city interest in basketball. Perhaps even more young athletes pick up the sport and the state becomes even more fertile for recruiting. I'd like to see the numbers of "undecided fans" who will spend their money based on who is winning. I would bet that number is much smaller than you think.

Bottom line is that the Bucks being good is good for Milwaukee, is good for Marquette.

What a ridiculous take. Boxer is dead to rights correct on this. You don't offer a substandard player to keep another entity happy. The Bucks are a business partner. We don't need to waste a scholarship to placate them, and I doubt they care where Kostas plays anyway. If the kid was worth a Marquette offer, he'd have gotten one.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »
You realize that the bucks success would actually hurt MU as we're competing against them for the entertainment dollar. There is no reason we should care whether Giannis is on the bucks or not. We're running a basketball team not a charity to keep the NBA team happy

While his argument is clearly idiotic, this is also not true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
While his argument is clearly idiotic, this is also not true.

Prove me wrong

Edit: Actually scratch that post what you want but I don't have the energy today to get into a pissing match with you. It's like debating with a brick wall that needs the last word desperately.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:43:52 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
Prove me wrong

Lol.  So the drop in MU ticket sales last year had to do with the Bucks having made the Playoffs and being expected to take a step forward and not with MU being a bad basketball team?  What about the drop in ticket sales this year despite the Bucks being a bad basketball team last year?

People aren't choosing between whether to buy tickets to Bucks games or Marquette games.  Milwaukee area UW alums aren't going to be buying MU season tickets if the Bucks stink because they want to be entertained by some basketball in the city.

But you sold me.  Bucks bad = positive for Marquette.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
Lol.  So the drop in MU ticket sales last year had to do with the Bucks having made the Playoffs and being expected to take a step forward and not with MU being a bad basketball team?  What about the drop in ticket sales this year despite the Bucks being a bad basketball team last year?

People aren't choosing between whether to buy tickets to Bucks games or Marquette games.  Milwaukee area UW alums aren't going to be buying MU season tickets if the Bucks stink because they want to be entertained by some basketball in the city.

But you sold me.  Bucks bad = positive for Marquette.

See the edit in my above post
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »
See the edit in my above post

Okay.  So "prove it" or it can't be true, but you don't have to "prove" anything, you can just make some random statement that obviously isn't true at all.  That makes sense.

I don't think Cal Berkley or Stanford are losing viewers because the GSW are killing it.

Win basketball games and you will sell tickets, regardless of whether the other teams in your city are horrendous or historically great.

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
You all have lost sight of the big picture. At least you have rescinded your argument that Bucks and MU compete for undecided entertainment dollars. It's not like Kostas is some scrub that we would give a sympathy scholarship to. The kid has great size and length, 4 star top 100, Milwaukee native, with unique family ties to powerful organizations in Milwaukee. Yes it's unclear how exactly he will develop or if he would be an academic superstar, but this was a risk worth taking for all of the previously mentioned reasons. Got to think of the big picture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
You all have lost sight of the big picture. At least you have rescinded your argument that Bucks and MU compete for undecided entertainment dollars. It's not like Kostas is some scrub that we would give a sympathy scholarship to. The kid has great size and length, 4 star top 100, Milwaukee native, with unique family ties to powerful organizations in Milwaukee. Yes it's unclear how exactly he will develop or if he would be an academic superstar, but this was a risk worth taking for all of the previously mentioned reasons. Got to think of the big picture.

I haven't rescinded anything. Arguing with wades is almost as obnoxious as arguing with chicos was and I'm tired this morning. Perhaps later I'll come back to this and pick it up again. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

You're right, Kostas is not just some scrub.  He's an ineligible scrub.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
I don't believe the Bucks and Marquette are partnering on that anymore. It appears the Bucks are building their own athletic research facility.

I'm excited for the stadium, but don't mistake the BC being obsolete for the NBA meaning it's a bad college venue. I would say we have one of the better venues for college, although being built for hockey is a drawback.

I would take the option of anyone we are still recruiting over Kostas. His potential is intriguing, but he is years away from producing. Plus, he's not eligible this year.

???
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »

You trolling us, hey?
Goal is National Championship

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »

???

http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/bucks-froedtert-medical-college-wisconsin-partner-sports-science-center-and-community-health/

What are the odds this is UDPride thinking they one upped us on Kostas? I think he was only a 4 star on 247sports. It's not like he's a consensus top 100.

He may be a great player. I would bet that whoever fills our last scholarship contributes more than Kostas would. Eke is considered a bit of a project and is light years ahead of Kostas.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »

Big picture: in time, repeatedly puking on your keyboard will cause malfunction.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Thanks, cheebs, I hadn't seen that.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
It's not like Kostas is some scrub that we would give a sympathy scholarship to.
Yeah, it kind of is.    Take his family out of it and what has he actually accomplished as a basketball player?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:41:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

source?

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/bucks-froedtert-medical-college-wisconsin-partner-sports-science-center-and-community-health/

What are the odds this is UDPride thinking they one upped us on Kostas? I think he was only a 4 star on 247sports. It's not like he's a consensus top 100.

He may be a great player. I would bet that whoever fills our last scholarship contributes more than Kostas would. Eke is considered a bit of a project and is light years ahead of Kostas.

That's really unfortunate if it means we are no longer partnering with them on a sports science research center. It seems unlikely that they would need two such facilities, although I didn't see anything in the article stating that this would be instead of the partnership with MU. I would think that would be a significant development worth noting. If it did fall through it's very unfortunate, both for the research dollars it would attract to the school and the loss of the fieldhouse, which would have had really great effects on the soccer and lacrosse teams.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
That's really unfortunate if it means we are no longer partnering with them on a sports science research center. It seems unlikely that they would need two such facilities, although I didn't see anything in the article stating that this would be instead of the partnership with MU. I would think that would be a significant development worth noting. If it did fall through it's very unfortunate, both for the research dollars it would attract to the school and the loss of the fieldhouse, which would have had really great effects on the soccer and lacrosse teams.

I'm pretty sure the Marquette thing is going to happen, also it would be very different from what the other article is describing which is bucks practice facility, healthcare/ research.  The Marquette one is performance research as in not really the healthcare side.  Everything froedtert does it calls research.  I could be wrong but I have heard nothing about the MU facility not being built.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Marquette thing is going to happen, also it would be very different from what the other article is describing which is bucks practice facility, healthcare/ research.  The Marquette one is performance research as in not really the healthcare side.  Everything froedtert does it calls research.  I could be wrong but I have heard nothing about the MU facility not being built.

I think it's still planning to be built, but I don't think the Bucks will be involved. When they announced the Aurora naming rights, the Bucks weren't mentioned in the article.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but based on those two articles, it didn't seem like it was going to be the original plan.

Edit: I have to backtrack. According to this article, the Bucks will still be involved. However, that was before their announcement.

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-aurora-to-partner-on-120-million-athletic-research-center-b99655636z1-365962851.html

This more recent article didn't mention the Bucks.

https://news.marquette.edu/news-releases/marquette-selects-design-team-for-athletic-performance-research-center-project/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:55:43 PM by cheebs09 »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
Wojo only gets the easy banners.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

feedback