[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We're # 49!  (Read 10538 times)

tower912

• All American
We're # 49!
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-kentucky-kansas-top-cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/

But 7th in the Big East.    The analysis breaks down for me when the writer says that MU is a good on-ball defending team.     And Luke will be our best player ?!?!?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: We're # 49!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
Right below the phony cowboy, hey?
Goal is National Championship

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-kentucky-kansas-top-cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/

But 7th in the Big East.    The analysis breaks down for me when the writer says that MU is a good on-ball defending team.     And Luke will be our best player ?!?!?

Or this gem re Dayton: "Archie Miller's team would've been top 25 had four-star recruit Kostas Antetokounmpo been ruled eligible this season."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:11:52 PM »
Or this gem re Dayton: "Archie Miller's team would've been top 25 had four-star recruit Kostas Antetokounmpo been ruled eligible this season."

Does anyone agree with this analysis?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »

Really thought this was a joke until I read the article

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
I seen to recall saying that there were 7 top 50 teams in the Big East this year. Others insisted it was going to be a down year for the conference.

Games aren't played on paper, but the Big East is gonna be hella good this season. I think Seton Hall is very low on this list
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
So, guess we're hoping for a soft bubble kind of year.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
I hope you're right TAMU, I like our team this year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
Our non-con has one team ranked worse than 300, St. Francis PA. Wisconsin, Georgia, both 2K classic teams and Vanderbilt are top 75. Fresno is about #125.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »

Is that because you realized the whole article is a joke?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:26:14 PM »

Holy sh1t. They actually wrote that. Yikes
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
I completely thought this was a joke until you informed me that it wasn't.

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
Perhaps the article is right - MU not signing Kostas was a huge mistake. Still makes zero sense to me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
Perhaps the article is right - MU not signing Kostas was a huge mistake. Still makes zero sense to me.

No.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »
Based on skill wise I feel we are better than Virginia Tech, OK State, Seton Hall and Baylor. We should be ranked a little higher I think.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »
Teal?
Goal is National Championship

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »

I understand, but the part that you haven't taken into consideration is that Marquette is limiting its signees to recruits who can actually play basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
Good call.   MU was desperately in need of an academically ineligible project who had an intriguing last name.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »
Good call.   MU was desperately in need of an academically ineligible project who had an intriguing last name.
I understand, but the part that you haven't taken into consideration is that Marquette is limiting its signees to recruits who can actually play basketball.

Even if Kostas didn't play a single game for Marquette I would still support the decision to offer him. It would have been good for the city of Milwaukee. I'm actually shocked the Bucks weren't in Marquette's ear with the recent collusion and new athletic center, pushing our hand to offer him. It would provide a huge amount of stability for keeping Giannis on the Bucks long-term, even longer than his recent extension. The man is all about family. This is especially true considering Milwaukee is in the bottom 5 markets for NBA free agents. 50k a year for Kostas' scholarship is nothing compared to $25+ mil a year that Giannis can demand in a few years as he continues to develop and as the salary cap continues to grow. Dumb move by Marquette, even dumber move by Milwaukee.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
Even if Kostas didn't play a single game for Marquette I would still support the decision to offer him. It would have been good for the city of Milwaukee. I'm actually shocked the Bucks weren't in Marquette's ear with the recent collusion and new athletic center, pushing our hand to offer him. It would provide a huge amount of stability for keeping Giannis on the Bucks long-term, even longer than his recent extension. The man is all about family. This is especially true considering Milwaukee is in the bottom 5 markets for NBA free agents. 50k a year for Kostas' scholarship is nothing compared to $25+ mil a year that Giannis can demand in a few years as he continues to develop and as the salary cap continues to grow. Dumb move by Marquette, even dumber move by Milwaukee.

Wut

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 07:51:44 AM »

You realize that the bucks success would actually hurt MU as we're competing against them for the entertainment dollar. There is no reason we should care whether Giannis is on the bucks or not. We're running a basketball team not a charity to keep the NBA team happy
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »
You realize that the bucks success would actually hurt MU as we're competing against them for the entertainment dollar. There is no reason we should care whether Giannis is on the bucks or not. We're running a basketball team not a charity to keep the NBA team happy

This has got to be the most foolish and self-righteous thing I have ever heard. You do realize that the only reason we're moving to a new arena is because of the Bucks right? Or that we are building a new athletics performance center because of our affiliation with the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee? Have all forgotten about the days when a recruiting pitch was playing in an NBA market where you can practice with NBA players and have exposure to scouts at the highest level? Having a successful NBA franchise increases state and city interest in basketball. Perhaps even more young athletes pick up the sport and the state becomes even more fertile for recruiting. I'd like to see the numbers of "undecided fans" who will spend their money based on who is winning. I would bet that number is much smaller than you think.

Bottom line is that the Bucks being good is good for Milwaukee, is good for Marquette.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »

#Giannistodayton
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
This has got to be the most foolish and self-righteous thing I have ever heard. You do realize that the only reason we're moving to a new arena is because of the Bucks right? Or that we are building a new athletics performance center because of our affiliation with the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee? Have all forgotten about the days when a recruiting pitch was playing in an NBA market where you can practice with NBA players and have exposure to scouts at the highest level? Having a successful NBA franchise increases state and city interest in basketball. Perhaps even more young athletes pick up the sport and the state becomes even more fertile for recruiting. I'd like to see the numbers of "undecided fans" who will spend their money based on who is winning. I would bet that number is much smaller than you think.

Bottom line is that the Bucks being good is good for Milwaukee, is good for Marquette.

Wrong the Bucks being in Milwaukee is good for Marquette. Marquette alone cannot fill the Bradley center let alone this new arena, the casual fan will decide based on who has a better product.

Your whole argument is based on this concept that we should do the Bucks a favor and take a guy who didn't even start on his team based on him being brothers with a star on the local NBA team. We're running a basketball program that is desperately trying to avoid having the worst stretch since our first ever post season bid and you've got your panties up in a bunch about us not giving a scholarship to a 'maybe could be good but can't even practice with the team right now' player just to keep the local NBA team happy. If we really cared that much about the NBA we'd have been full partners in the new arena but we shot them down on that because we have to draw a line at what we do to help that dumpster fire.

Given your arguments, I feel this clip is in order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA</a>

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:36:43 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »

I don't believe the Bucks and Marquette are partnering on that anymore. It appears the Bucks are building their own athletic research facility.

I'm excited for the stadium, but don't mistake the BC being obsolete for the NBA meaning it's a bad college venue. I would say we have one of the better venues for college, although being built for hockey is a drawback.

I would take the option of anyone we are still recruiting over Kostas. His potential is intriguing, but he is years away from producing. Plus, he's not eligible this year.

feedback