[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bravo for Wilson  (Read 14342 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bravo for Wilson
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
There's no doubt why he feels that way. He's getting a much more valuable education than Nigel is.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this story gets some legs and national attention. Certainly would reflect well on Duane and MU. While I don't fault players for wanting more, kudos to him for appreciating what he has and his mature perspective. Impressive.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
There's no doubt why he feels that way. He's getting a much more valuable education than Nigel is.

My first chuckle this morning.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
How about that. It's the public school kid who comes across as feeling entitled.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Wow.  Strong and mature words from a fine young man.  Duane, you represent MU to the highest degree.  Bravo, sir.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt that players are getting something in return for their play.

Having said that, is the amount of money being made by the NCAA proportional to what the players are getting?

I say no.

What is the solution?

I'd be okay with a flat small stipend that is paid out by the NCAA to every player.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt that players are getting something in return for their play.

Having said that, is the amount of money being made by the NCAA proportional to what the players are getting?

I say no.

What is the solution?

I'd be okay with a flat small stipend that is paid out by the NCAA to every player.

Every basketball player? Or every student-athlete? If the NCAA pays men's basketball a certain amount, won't the Title IX police demand that all athletes get paid that same amount?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »

I say no.

What is the solution?

All student athletes on full scholarships already get a weekly stipend.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »
Nice words, Du. Nice words.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

I say no.

What is the solution?

How is this different in any other industry. Average CEO makes 300 times the average worker. So what if NCAA makes money, No one is forcing them to play. Hey Nigel, if you don't like it move to Europe and play professionally. Free education, free room and board, free meal plans, amazing tutors, networking opportunities, facilities, coaching, etc. My goodness, UW probably spends $500K per player...minimum.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
How is this different in any other industry. Average CEO makes 300 times the average worker. So what if NCAA makes money, No one is forcing them to play. Hey Nigel, if you don't like it move to Europe and play professionally. Free education, free room and board, free meal plans, amazing tutors, networking opportunities, facilities, coaching, etc. My goodness, UW probably spends $500K per player...minimum.

Yup.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
Keeping the train on the tracks...

This is an outstanding response by Duane. Even if he's producing not as well as we might like on the court, I am supremely proud he is a Marquette student.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
Some of Scoop's insiders warned us that despite attending the same high school, Duane might not be much of a help recruiting Diamond Stone. Perhaps we now know why. Regardless, very well said, Duane.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Every basketball player? Or every student-athlete? If the NCAA pays men's basketball a certain amount, won't the Title IX police demand that all athletes get paid that same amount?

That's really the only true stumbling block (other than the institutions' unwillingness to share anymore of the kitty with athletes). It would have to be litigated.
Some pretty smart people (Bilas, Jeff Kessler) argue it's a bit of a red herring, given that Title IX only addresses opportunity, not compensation.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
That's really the only true stumbling block (other than the institutions' unwillingness to share anymore of the kitty with athletes). It would have to be litigated.
Some pretty smart people (Bilas, Jeff Kessler) argue it's a bit of a red herring, given that Title IX only addresses opportunity, not compensation.

That and deciding how much each player should be compensated.  I know its been thrown out there that potentially each player should be paid the same amount.  But if that were to happen, and I was the Heismann trophy winning QB, you better bet that I would be complaining that I'm being paid the same amount as the punter at Jacksonville State and it isn't fair considering the "amount of revenue I'm bringing in" vs him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
That and deciding how much each player should be compensated.  I know its been thrown out there that potentially each player should be paid the same amount.  But if that were to happen, and I was the Heismann trophy winning QB, you better bet that I would be complaining that I'm being paid the same amount as the punter at Jacksonville State and it isn't fair considering the "amount of revenue I'm bringing in" vs him.

I've linked it earlier, but the NYT sports business reporter's proposal is to set a cap with a minimum salary of $25K, but no maximum. The cap - about $650K for basketball and $3 million for football - would be easily affordable for the great majority of Division I programs and allow them each to decide how to allocate their resources as they see fit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
I am on the record in numerous other similar threads as saying the athletes are being totally pimped out by the "system."

I don't pretend to have all the answers as to how I would make it different, though.

One day, athletes will bring one school's teams to their knees with a "strike." My money would be on Northwestern or Stanford ... but again, what the heck do I know?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
I've linked it earlier, but the NYT sports business reporter's proposal is to set a cap with a minimum salary of $25K, but no maximum. The cap - about $650K for basketball and $3 million for football - would be easily affordable for the great majority of Division I programs and allow them each to decide how to allocate their resources as they see fit.

So you're now going to recruit kids by giving them a dollar amount that you'll pay them?  Do they have to remain academically eligible?  Are they guaranteed the same amount of money all 4 years or is everything renegotiated after each year?  If they don't perform to what their school determines they should be performing for the amount of money they're giving, can they cut them?  If a player is playing well above what the school is paying him or her can he or she transfer to a school that is willing to pay him or her what he or she wants?  Are all student athletes just free agents after every season and whoever the highest bidder is for their services they are free to go to?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:35:07 AM by wadesworld »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

The interesting piece to this, is if you go back and refer to my post in the Nigel thread....that analysis I performed led to an income generated by the public school athletic programs of $300m.  If every one of those schools gives out max bball and football scholarships (I know, not likely each one will be given out) and the salaries they give are all at the minimum (also very not likely, perhaps these two counter-balance), then that $300m net income (revenues less expenses) turns into a $266m loss.

Again, I know my analysis isn't perfect, but I think those are somewhat relatable numbers to consider.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »
So you're now going to recruit kids by giving them a dollar amount that you'll pay them?  Do they have to remain academically eligible?

Yep.
You're OK with recruiting kids through million dollar weight rooms, lavish dorms for athletes only, sponsored clothing and visits with pretty co-eds - not to mention shadier enticements like strippers, hookers and under-the-table payments - but an upfront salary is simply beyond the pale?

And of course, they'd have to remain eligible. Why would that change?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Yep.
You're OK with recruiting kids through million dollar weight rooms, lavish dorms for athletes only, sponsored clothing and visits with pretty co-eds - not to mention shadier enticements like strippers, hookers and under-the-table payments - but an upfront salary is simply beyond the pale?

And of course, they'd have to remain eligible. Why would that change?

You think those issues would go away?  I'll go ahead and say with a fair amount of confidence that those things would only get worse if we're just going to get rid of the free education and turn these guys into professional athletes.

And because we're no longer giving them money for school and giving them money for whatever they want to use it on.  So they're no longer student athletes, they're professional athletes who play sports for a school.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »
The interesting piece to this, is if you go back and refer to my post in the Nigel thread....that analysis I performed led to an income generated by the public school athletic programs of $300m.  If every one of those schools gives out max bball and football scholarships (I know, not likely each one will be given out) and the salaries they give are all at the minimum (also very not likely, perhaps these two counter-balance), then that $300m net income (revenues less expenses) turns into a $266m loss.

Again, I know my analysis isn't perfect, but I think those are somewhat relatable numbers to consider.

1. Aren't scholarships and other costs already factored into the expenses that left you with the $300 million net? 

2. Your figures assume that ALL scholarship athletes will be paid, which is not being proposed here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
You think those issues would go away?  I'll go ahead and say with a fair amount of confidence that those things would only get worse if we're just going to get rid of the free education and turn these guys into professional athletes.

Why would it get worse? Cause you say so?
I'm sure some shady dealings would continue, but I believe there would be less incentive all around, and less incentive means  less frequency.
Say a 5-star recruit signs on to play at Kentucky for three years (as would be required under the cap proposal) at $100K a year. Is that kid going to risk his guaranteed $300K for a few hundred dollar handshakes and a leased Yukon? I mean, maybe it'll happen, but there's substantially less incentive for it  - the kid's already making $100K a year - and significant disincentive for it.

And because we're no longer giving them money for school and giving them money for whatever they want to use it on.  So they're no longer student athletes, they're professional athletes who play sports for a school.

Nobody said this.