[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cincinnati to Big 12  (Read 8593 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

🏀

• All American
Re: Cincinnati to Big 12
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
Nick Lachey is surely pleased.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »
It was just a matter of time after Louisville left.  Going to be interesting what Memphis and UCONN do.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »
That's a fake.  Proven false on Twitter.  Big 12 meetings just ended.  Expansion not happening.

UC/UConn stuck in the American with the rest of the C-USA call-ups. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:31:37 PM »
Since no teams are leaving the AAC, my guess is that it becomes less likely that UConn looks for a landing spot outside of that conference.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:35:39 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:35:09 PM »
Liar

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
Dewey to Big 12, Truman to AAC

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
Since no teams are leaving the AAC, my guess is that it becomes less likely that UConn looks for a landing spot outside of that conference.

Meh.  I would assume they're still very interested in other options.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
Meh.  I would assume they're still very interested in other options.

Like what?  They are in the best conference they can be in right now football wise.  I seriously doubt the AAC is going to let them park there other sports elsewhere.

Pakuni

• All American

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »
This is hilarious.

"We're going to expand, which is essential for the future of our conference and our member schools. We've done a study, you know. This is a serious process with well-considered evaluation criteria. We're interviewing 11 schools, after narrowing the initial list of 20 candidates."

"Wait, no, scratch all that. We're not doing anything of the sort. Everything's just fine as it is. Never mind. Move along, go home, nothing to see here."

The Big XII might just be the most dysfunctional conference in college sports — which doesn't say anything good about its future. What a complete travesty. The "decision makers" involved should be embarrassed.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/10/17/big-12-expansion-proposal-rejected
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »
Was this whole thing a bluff on the part of the Big XII to get more money from ESPN and Fox?

If that's the case, I'm not sure it's worth the loss in credibility. League officials have made themselves look like idiots to their fans — and double-dealers to their media partners.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
Was this whole thing a bluff on the part of the Big XII to get more money from ESPN and Fox?

If that's the case, I'm not sure it's worth the loss in credibility. League officials have made themselves look like idiots to their fans — and double-dealers to their media partners.

I'm not sure that's quite true.
I suspect most Big 12 fans are appreciative of the fact they won't have to pay up for a diluted product. I mean, do you think many Oklahoma fans would be fired up about USF coming to town?
Do you know many Big 10 fans who are happy about the additions of Maryland and Rutgers?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
I suspect most Big 12 fans are appreciative of the fact they won't have to pay up for a diluted product. I mean, do you think many Oklahoma fans would be fired up about USF coming to town?

Do you know many Big 10 fans who are happy about the additions of Maryland and Rutgers?

Anybody could have told the Big XII they would be diluting their product. In fact, ESPN and Fox said exactly that almost 3 months ago (see article below from August 1st). Surprise, surprise — the conference decides expansion would dilute their product. Brilliant. Bravo. So what, again, was the point of this whole exercise?

The Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers at least makes sense from the standpoint of expanding the conference's geographic footprint and adding major markets with schools that fit the conference profile (state schools, AAU, et cetera). And there's a gigantic drop-off from football programs like Maryland to UCF or Tulane.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Media/Big-12-TV.aspx

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »
Anybody could have told the Big XII they would be diluting their product. In fact, ESPN and Fox said exactly that almost 3 months ago (see article below from August 1st). Surprise, surprise — the conference decides expansion would dilute their product. Brilliant. Bravo. So what, again, was the point of this whole exercise?

The Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers at least makes sense from the standpoint of expanding the conference's geographic footprint and adding major markets with schools that fit the conference profile (state schools, AAU, et cetera). And there's a gigantic drop-off from football programs like Maryland to UCF or Tulane.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Media/Big-12-TV.aspx

So what exactly are so you upset about? That the conference explored its options and came to a reasonable conclusion that expansion wouldn't serve its interests?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
So what exactly are so you upset about? That the conference explored its options and came to a reasonable conclusion that expansion wouldn't serve its interests?

I'm not upset. It's just that the whole expansion process seems like a joke. Either it was A) a scam — they never meant to expand in the first place, only to apply pressure to ESPN and Fox; or B) incompetence — a waste of time and resources considering teams that have no business in the Big XII. Alternately, league officials totally ignored the report they commissioned and publicized which concluded expansion was financially preferable.

Some might spin option A as a shrewd negotiating tactic. Just my opinion, but it comes across as desperate and manipulative.

I suppose there's an option C) The Big XII honestly believed they needed to expand and had viable candidates, but reconsidered as part of the process. It just doesn't say much about their conference's vision or leadership.

Compare that to the Big East, where the school presidents have always been upfront about the possibility of expansion — but to date have kept any discussions private. Why air conference business in public before you know where you're going?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »
I'm still trying to decide how Rutgers helps the Big Ten.

Did the mere presence of Rutgers help get a better TV deal? If so, then I guess there's my answer.

Which leads to my next question ... Why did the TV folks think the Big Ten was a better product with Rutgers?

Geography? From whom? The tens of New Yorkers who actually watch Rutgers football?

Maybe the Big East should add Florida International to get the Miami market or Boston University to get the Boston market.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

Did the mere presence of Rutgers help get a better TV deal? If so, then I guess there's my answer.

Which leads to my next question ... Why did the TV folks think the Big Ten was a better product with Rutgers?

Geography? From whom? The tens of New Yorkers who actually watch Rutgers football?

Maybe the Big East should add Florida International to get the Miami market or Boston University to get the Boston market.
Rutgers actually had a good program, but the coach left and it went downhill ever since.  The danger of evaluating a program on a coach.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
Lots of Big10 alum in NY as well....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 10:13:05 PM »

Pretty sure a few major cable companies are obligated to carry BTN on basic packages (as opposed to premium subscription opt-ins) if a conference member is within a certain xyz mileage range or a similar stipulation. So adding Rutgers got BTN onto something like 20+ million basic cable packages (or potential packages), far exceeding the cost of dilution via an extra member school splitting the pie. Pretty much an economic no-brainer if I remember correctly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
Pretty sure a few major cable companies are obligated to carry BTN on basic packages (as opposed to premium subscription opt-ins) if a conference member is within a certain xyz mileage range or a similar stipulation. So adding Rutgers got BTN onto something like 20+ million basic cable packages (or potential packages), far exceeding the cost of dilution via an extra member school splitting the pie. Pretty much an economic no-brainer if I remember correctly.

This was my basic understanding as well. Slam dunk for the conference in terms of $$$. Assume its good for the TV people as well because they get to force another channel on their customers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »

At the moment, Illinois football fans.

Means Lovie Smith has 1 -- count 'em, 1 -- win in conference play this year.

Way to go Lovie!!!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
Rutgers and Maryland was an absolute home run for the B1G in terms of revenue, exposure and new media markets.  It also was an excellent addition because of the number of B1G alumni in the NYC/NJ/DC areas.  As previously stated, because of the B1G network adding those media markets, the B1G network then had to be paid for in an incredibly high number of new households, meaning extra revenue and fees for the conference.  Look no further from the new TV deals that the B1G received.  Each school will be making $50 million per year in TV money alone thanks to the B1G network.

From a football perspective, Rutgers/Maryland was not like adding Nebraska.  At least Maryland is a blue blood basketball program. 

Long term, the B1G wants Virginia, North Carolina, Duke and Georgia Tech.  All are AAU and media market trends favor more viewership and recruiting (for football) in the South. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/10/17/13309070/big-east-big-12-uconn-fallout-benefit

There is a broken link on the above that would supposedly was "found in the university's response to the Big 12 conference's due diligence request that UCONN would accept football-only membership and pursue membership in the Big East for other sponsored sports currently competing in the AAC."

It also discusses the possibility of UCONN parking their football in a lower conference and joining the Big East for other sports if they were to be turned down for membership in the Big 12.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
I'm not sure that's quite true.

This.  Closer to home, say the Big East was considering adding two schools - which happened to be amongst the likes of SLU, Dayton, Holy Cross, Fordham and San Francisco - but came out a couple weeks later and said "we decided against expansion at this time" would anybody here be complaining?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
Thanks to those who provided good answers to my "Why the heck did the BT want Rutgers" question.

Crappy program historically except for a bump-up during the Schiano years and for a short stretch in the late-70s.

And appropos of nothing ...

Schiano was 12-34 with zero bowl bids his first four years at Rutgers -- yet ANOTHER example of a coach who turned a program around when given the time to do so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »
It also discusses the possibility of UCONN parking their football in a lower conference and joining the Big East for other sports if they were to be turned down for membership in the Big 12.

But with no one leaving the AAC, I just can't see UConn doing this.  I thought the assumption behind this is that, if schools like Houston, Cincinnati and Memphis leave the AAC, that a severely weakened conference would be worse than say parking football in the MAC.

But now that the conference isn't being raided, I think UConn will decide its best where it is for the time being.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »
But with no one leaving the AAC, I just can't see UConn doing this.  I thought the assumption behind this is that, if schools like Houston, Cincinnati and Memphis leave the AAC, that a severely weakened conference would be worse than say parking football in the MAC.

But now that the conference isn't being raided, I think UConn will decide its best where it is for the time being.

Plus, I was reading that UConn would have to pay a penalty to leave the AAC and it would be worth it for high conference invite, but not to go independent or as a football only member somewhere.

feedback