'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sporting News 2016-17 Basketball Preview  (Read 5898 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Sporting News 2016-17 Basketball Preview
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
Picked this up at the newsstand yesterday. A few highlights:

• Marquette picked for 6th in the Big East
• MU predicted to finish ahead of Butler, but behind Creighton and Georgetown
• Haanif Cheatham named one of the top 10 players in the conference
• Hauser, Howard not included among top 5 newcomers
• Wojo on Cheatham (who SN calls out as the "Difference Maker" for Marquette): "A lot of times he was overshadowed by Henry last season, but he had an amazing freshman year. And he's got to take a big jump."
• Wojo on Howard: "I really think he's going to be an outstanding player for us, but he's also just 17 years old. It's a lot to ask of a young guy."
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Sporting News 2016-17 Basketball Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
Picked this up at the newsstand yesterday. A few highlights:

• Marquette picked for 6th in the Big East
• MU predicted to finish ahead of Butler, but behind Creighton and Georgetown
• Haanif Cheatham named one of the top 10 players in the conference
• Hauser, Howard not included among top 5 newcomers
• Wojo on Cheatham (who SN calls out as the "Difference Maker" for Marquette): "A lot of times he was overshadowed by Henry last season, but he had an amazing freshman year. And he's got to take a big jump."
• Wojo on Howard: "I really think he's going to be an outstanding player for us, but he's also just 17 years old. It's a lot to ask of a young guy."

So who were the top 5 newcomers.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
So who were the top 5 newcomers.

All transfers: RaShid Gaston, Marcus Foster, Bashir Ahmed, Rodney Pryor and Eric Paschall.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
All transfers: RaShid Gaston, Marcus Foster, Bashir Ahmed, Rodney Pryor and Eric Paschall.
Rowsey and Reinhardt > Foster and Paschall.

I could be wrong but I think Foster had been way overrated this off-season. Inefficient scorer and poor defender from a bad Kansas state team
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »
Rowsey and Reinhardt > Foster and Paschall.

I could be wrong but I think Foster had been way overrated this off-season. Inefficient scorer and poor defender from a bad Kansas state team

Hope you're right about Rowsey and Reinhardt. Personally I don't mind if we start the season under the radar.

Creighton is a popular pick for 4th in the Big East, primarily because of Foster's potential. He has all the tools athletically. But he didn't transfer by choice, and didn't get dismissed from K-State for no reason. There are big questions about his decision-making, maturity, team focus and coachability.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
Foster? I hardly know her.

I think Foster will be a quality player and that the change of scenery will help him.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »
I coulda swore Marcus Foster graduated like two years ago, but hes somehow only a Junior. Hes one of those, never seems to graduate players. Wonder what Marquette's equivalant is for someone other teams couldnt wait to graduate. Im guessing Diener.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »
I coulda swore Marcus Foster graduated like two years ago, but hes somehow only a Junior. Hes one of those, never seems to graduate players. Wonder what Marquette's equivalant is for someone other teams couldnt wait to graduate. Im guessing Diener.

Otule

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »
I think Foster will be a quality player and that the change of scenery will help him.

I certainly won't hold the kid's past against him. Everyone makes mistakes. I hope he's taken full responsibility for his actions and learned something from the experience.

McDermott is an experienced, well-respected coach and has nothing but good things to say about Foster. We'll see how it plays out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
The only surprising thing to me about this thread is that The Sporting News still exists.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »

Dwyane Wade. They're still waiting  ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »

How is this an opinion? He's never once played against Marquette and just got eligible to play this year for Creighton.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »

Gardner. One of my groomsmen is a Syracuse grad. Before every game we played against each other, he would text me "Has b*tch tits graduated yet?"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 11:38:52 PM »

Novak.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 03:59:11 AM »
I kinda like being under the radar. Will make the NCAA bid next March all the sweeter.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:46:16 AM »
How is this an opinion? He's never once played against Marquette and just got eligible to play this year for Creighton.

Watched a lot of Big XII basketball the past few years. Kansas St always seems to have star players that transfer so it seems like they are there forever. Ex. Marcus Foster and Angel Rodriguez.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
I kinda like being under the radar. Will make the NCAA bid next March all the sweeter.

Indeed!

And soon enough, we will be back on the radar as a force to be reckoned with again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
Gardner. One of my groomsmen is a Syracuse grad. Before every game we played against each other, he would text me "Has b*tch tits graduated yet?"

That's because he basically he beat them single handedly.  Still one of the great MU performances in recent memory...

BENCH   MIN   FG   3PT   FT    OREB DREB   REB   AST   STL   BLK   TO   PF   PTS
D. Gardner--   7-7   0-0   12-13   4        4            8     2    0    0    1   0   26

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
Foster becomes eligible the same year that number one fan John Hinckley is released from psych hospital.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:31:47 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.