[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Very interesting might give clues to starting lineup  (Read 18596 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Very interesting might give clues to starting lineup
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
Traci Carter will not be consistently finishing important games. Rowsey can handle the ball and shoots free throws in the 90% range. His turnover rate at asheville was half that of Carter. I don't see what some on this board see in him, he's a backup PG at best.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
I don't think you can write off a freshman point guard who was basically forced to start because they had no other alternative.  He may not end up being all that, but I think he will grow into a solid player.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
I see Rowsey as playing 25+ minutes everyday. Reliable player with experience. I think he will avg. around 15 ppg throughout the season with at least 2 games at 25 points +.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
Offense this year..... draw and kick.....space floor......Sam swish....

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/787035354364796928

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

Interesting pairings there. Traci, HC, Luke, Katin all are likely to be starters and are on the same team with.....Sam.

Actually, upon further review it seems they are playing 4v4, no Luke on the floor. Never mind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:14:25 PM by MuEagle1090 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
Traci Carter will not be consistently finishing important games. Rowsey can handle the ball and shoots free throws in the 90% range. His turnover rate at asheville was half that of Carter. I don't see what some on this board see in him, he's a backup PG at best.

Carter has a point brain and great attacking instincts. He has good form on his shot too, which I expect to get more consistent over time. He will be a very valuable upperclassman, of that I am certain.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
In this weeks episode of "Teal Thoughts":
- 2016-17 season's gimmick turns out to be balloons?  If Wojo was a seasoned and respected coach he wouldn't have to resort to kids birthday party tricks.
- No Sacre mention.........SMH
- Great!  Duane is emerging as the leader.  We can't have a transfer being the team leader.
- Big Fishy shouldn't be practicing 15 footers...he'll be fouled out before he can attempt any shots.
- The whole article needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.  Newspapers are a dying business and we should hate everything about them.
- It looks like Sam really does have tremendous upside

(honestly - everything in Matt's notes, except the TO's, makes me feel better about the season's opportunities)

Or Matt.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 04:31:44 PM »
Incidentally, Hicks was about 6 feet away from Jenkins.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/wO15bt0UP1g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/wO15bt0UP1g</a>

Best Championship game finish this century or perhaps the last.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »

As long as Sam is guarded by a slow-rotating 5.
And they are playing 4 on 4 following coincidental minor penalties.

But I agree; I think Sam is one of the several options we will have on offense this year.
As regards the defense, I fall somewhere between cautiously pessimistic and full-on nauseous.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »
Of course Rowsey had a better turnover rate, just look at his percent of shots taken. When you're putting up around 30% of the shots, you won't have the ball long enough to turn it over. Silly comparison to make.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »

Defense this year....they scored?......that's alright....we will just draw and kick....space floor......attempted 3. 
They scored? .....that's alright...repeat.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
Rowsey or Reinhardt don't have to be the second coming of Steve Novak to help this team.

Last season we shot 33.9% from 3-point range, behind more than 200 other teams in the country. And that was on just 572 attempts — fewer than 260+ other teams. Pretty pathetic.

In other words, if Andrew and Katin connect on 35% of their threes (not exactly a high standard), we'll be better than we were a year ago. If they manage to reach the 38-40% range, we'll be dramatically better. Anything above that could be pretty amazing.

Let's hold off a bit before comparing these guys to one of college basketball's all-time long-distance shooters.

Early prediction, we shoot almost 5% higher this year than last.  Predicting 38.5%.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2016, 05:55:11 AM »
or god forbid the next jake thomas who can shoot lights out in practice and warm ups but not in games

Jake Thomas shot 39% on 172 attempts his senior year.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
Jake Thomas shot 39% on 172 attempts his senior year.

And was a walk-on who earned a scholarship, hustled and hit some key shots for MU (Syracuse, Butler Maui) or spread the floor effectively (Davidson).  It wasn't Jake's fault that the two guard slotted to start couldn't perform off the court.

Same thing with Derrick.  Starting PG was supposed to be Duane.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
And was a walk-on who earned a scholarship, hustled and hit some key shots for MU (Syracuse, Butler Maui) or spread the floor effectively (Davidson).  It wasn't Jake's fault that the two guard slotted to start couldn't perform off the court.

Same thing with Derrick.  Starting PG was supposed to be Duane.

Yea, that team was a hot mess with Vander declaring early, Duane getting hurt, and Mayo being Mayo.

If Vander stays, that's a completely different team cause I still think he would have been the starting PG.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »
Yea, that team was a hot mess with Vander declaring early, Duane getting hurt, and Mayo being Mayo.

If Vander stays, that's a completely different team cause I still think he would have been the starting PG.
Actually, Mayo was rather decent as a junior.  But the torn meniscus surgery and the broken nose delayed and disrupted his start to the season.  He was really a force on offense down the stretch.  People seem to forget that.  He  became the old Mayo again after Buzz left.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
True...but Novak is literally a foot taller than Rowsey.

Rowsey could be the next Mo Acker or he could be the next...well, any sub-6 footer who can shoot the lights out as long as no one is within 6 feet of him.

I'm not trying to knock Rowsey, I hope he ends up being great, but I think that some on here are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

I guess that you're not very high on Markus Howard then.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
Actually, Mayo was rather decent as a junior.  But the torn meniscus surgery and the broken nose delayed and disrupted his start to the season.  He was really a force on offense down the stretch.  People seem to forget that.  He  became the old Mayo again after Buzz left.

He was always the "old Mayo."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
He was always the "old Mayo."
Maybe, but he was on better behavior as a junior and was very productive once he got his minutes.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
Of course Rowsey had a better turnover rate, just look at his percent of shots taken. When you're putting up around 30% of the shots, you won't have the ball long enough to turn it over. Silly comparison to make.

Disagree, Rowsey was used on nearly 30% of the possessions and played 90% of the minutes. Usually guys that are relied upon to make plays and score the ball turn it over more. Not to mention fatigue. All Traci was supposed to do was bring the ball up and pass it. He couldn't even do that. If he starts this year then Howard and Rowsey aren't as good as I think they'll be and MU will struggle. He's a solid backup PG.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Disagree, Rowsey was used on nearly 30% of the possessions and played 90% of the minutes. Usually guys that are relied upon to make plays and score the ball turn it over more. Not to mention fatigue. All Traci was supposed to do was bring the ball up and pass it. He couldn't even do that. If he starts this year then Howard and Rowsey aren't as good as I think they'll be and MU will struggle. He's a solid backup PG.

Or Traci has improved from his freshmen to his sophomore year as you know.......sometimes happens.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »

I just don't think the numbers bear that out. Look at our point guard compared to our highest shot percentage players over the past few years:

• 2015: Derrick Wilson (20.6%) had a higher turnover rate than Matt Carlino (17.8%) or Duane Wilson (16.6%).
  • 2014: Derrick Wilson (20.1%) had a higher turnover rate than Jamil Wilson (16.7%)and Davante Gardner (10.0%).
  • 2013: Junior Cadougan (25.8%) had a higher turnover rate than Jamil Wilson (17.3%) and Vander Blue (18.6%).
  • 2012: Junior Cadougan (29.1%) had a higher turnover rate than DJO (15.8%) and Jae Crowder (9.7%).
  • 2011: Dwight Buycks (25.8%) had a higher turnover rate than DJO (15.3%), Jimmy Butler (11.4%), and Jae Crowder (8.6%).
So the past five years, our starting point guard has had a higher turnover rate than our leading playmakers/scorers every single year. Before that, Acker and James were better, but it's hard for a true point to have a low turnover rate because they do have the ball in their hands so much and their possessions are less likely to end in shots (which, even when missed, don't count as turnovers).

Traci was a pass-first point guard while Rowsey was primarily a shooter. Rowsey took more than twice as many shots on a percentage basis and had a significantly lower assist rate. Rowsey was focused on shooting, Carter was focused on passing. It's just not a very good comparison.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
Yeah but Rowsey played PG, he just happens to be a scoring PG. Plus All those players you compared to Junior and Derrick Wilson were much better players. Derrick Wilson might be the worst 2 year starting QB in recent MU history.

Back to the point, carter won't be finishing games. He turns ball over, can't shoot and can't hit FTs. He's a nice energy player off the bench. if he's the PG for 25 minutes, look for another year of futility.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
So again...you have already decided that Traci will be the same player this season that he was as a frosh?

That may prove to be true but many players make improvements as they get older. Skills get better......decision making improves...etc.

I think you are making a premature assumption.

Let's see how the season plays out.