[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Very interesting might give clues to starting lineup  (Read 18572 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Very interesting might give clues to starting lineup
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
55 on the 5x10?  Holy sh#tsnacks... that's Novak-esque right there.  And Markus is at 58?  Good lord... if any semblance of that can translate to the court, start clearing your schedule in March.

I watched all those guys shoot with keen interest at Madness.  Katin and Rowsey have flawless form.  Sammy has a very nice shot too. Markus has 'good' form that he repeats with precision.  We're going to truly threaten teams from deep. 

And guess what?  That opens things up heading inside for our already accomplished slashers. 

And guess what else?  We won't have two big bodies down there that sometimes got in the way last year.

I sincerely believe our offense takes a big step forward in efficiency this year.  Just have to avoid popping those turnover balloons and hold our own on the defensive glass.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
55 on the 5x10?  Holy sh#tsnacks... that's Novak-esque right there.  And Markus is at 58?  Good lord... if any semblance of that can translate to the court, start clearing your schedule in March.

True...but Novak is literally a foot taller than Rowsey.

Rowsey could be the next Mo Acker or he could be the next...well, any sub-6 footer who can shoot the lights out as long as no one is within 6 feet of him.

I'm not trying to knock Rowsey, I hope he ends up being great, but I think that some on here are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »
True...but Novak is literally a foot taller than Rowsey.

Rowsey could be the next Mo Acker or he could be the next...well, any sub-6 footer who can shoot the lights out as long as no one is within 6 feet of him.

I'm not trying to knock Rowsey, I hope he ends up being great, but I think that some on here are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

or god forbid the next jake thomas who can shoot lights out in practice and warm ups but not in games
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
or god forbid the next jake thomas who can shoot lights out in practice and warm ups but not in games

I know that makes people shudder, and the leap from South Dakota to the BE is bigger than the Big South to the BE, but I would be lying if I said that thought didn't cross my mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »

I know that makes people shudder, and the leap from South Dakota to the BE is bigger than the Big South to the BE, but I would be lying if I said that thought didn't cross my mind.

If Rowsey put up "senior year Cubillan" type numbers (7 pts, 2-3 ast, 41% from 3), I'd be very pleased.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
Rowsey or Reinhardt don't have to be the second coming of Steve Novak to help this team.

Last season we shot 33.9% from 3-point range, behind more than 200 other teams in the country. And that was on just 572 attempts — fewer than 260+ other teams. Pretty pathetic.

In other words, if Andrew and Katin connect on 35% of their threes (not exactly a high standard), we'll be better than we were a year ago. If they manage to reach the 38-40% range, we'll be dramatically better. Anything above that could be pretty amazing.

Let's hold off a bit before comparing these guys to one of college basketball's all-time long-distance shooters.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »

All true, but nobody ever said Thomas was the best guard in the Kasten gym either.  Rowsey can play.  I think the big question is how he fares against bigger guys.  That's still to be seen, at least by us on the outside.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 12:52:51 PM »
I don't really put a lot of stock in the "best guy in the practice gym" type statements until I see it on the court versus real competition.  I have heard that too many times and the only one to ever exceed those statements was Wade.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »
Rowsey or Reinhardt don't have to be the second coming of Steve Novak to help this team.

Last season we shot 33.9% from 3-point range, behind more than 200 other teams in the country. And that was on just 572 attempts — fewer than 260+ other teams. Pretty pathetic.

In other words, if Andrew and Katin connect on 35% of their threes (not exactly a high standard), we'll be better than we were a year ago. If they manage to reach the 38-40% range, we'll be dramatically better. Anything above that could be pretty amazing.

Let's hold off a bit before comparing these guys to one of college basketball's all-time long-distance shooters.

Exactly. Our historical reference points tend to be the stars but getting Maurice Acker (9 ppg, 49% 3-pt) or Cooby (as poster above pointed out) numbers could well make all the difference in whether we dance.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
Correct.  Write it down.  The interesting thing will be the rotation and minutes distribution 6-9.

I will say, I don't think Carter gets more 20 minutes a game even though he starts. Will be too difficult to keep Rowsey and Markus from getting 20 minutes combined at the 1.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »
I don't really put a lot of stock in the "best guy in the practice gym" type statements until I see it on the court versus real competition.  I have heard that too many times and the only one to ever exceed those statements was Wade.

On the nose. It's akin to "he's looked great in training camp" in the NFL. Been burned in fantasy drafts by that old saw enough to know that almost everyone looks great in training camp (or the practice gym).

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
I will say, I don't think Carter gets more 20 minutes a game even though he starts. Will be too difficult to keep Rowsey and Markus from getting 20 minutes combined at the 1.

It will because they can both play off ball, plus I see Markus getting more time at the 2 anyways. I know Jay bee has the biggest hard on for Markus but lets not forget he is only 17. Lets not give him the Vander and JJJ freshman year treatment.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Rowsey will be in double digits.  While he won't be anywhere close to a Novak type shooter, he'll be closer to Novak than he is to Thomas.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »

Fair enough.  Understand that I'm not suggesting that Rowsey is 'great', just that I don't think he's walk on Thomas.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Asking those who may know.

How much quickness is out there with these shooters?  Is the release smooth and quick?

If they can't get open looks and take awhile to launch a shot, MU will be in for some long nights at the mason convention.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
Asking those who may know.

How much quickness is out there with these shooters?  Is the release smooth and quick?

If they can't get open looks and take awhile to launch a shot, MU will be in for some long nights at the mason convention.

Reinhardt and Rowsey have quick releases. Howard has a pretty quick release, but a bit slower. Hauser's is slower but he's taller so he doesn't need it to be as quick.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 01:49:29 PM »
Reinhardt and Rowsey have quick releases. Howard has a pretty quick release, but a bit slower. Hauser's is slower but he's taller so he doesn't need it to be as quick.

I agree with this analysis.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but to me Hauser reminds me of a 6'7" version of the 6' Riley LaChance.  Does everything pretty well, best asset is the ability to shoot the ball, but doesn't have a huge weakness.  Very high IQ, doesn't force things (too much), great footwork, but isn't some freak athlete who will blow by someone off the dribble.  Just tough players who won't beat themselves.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:51:17 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »

Incidentally, Hicks was about 6 feet away from Jenkins.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/wO15bt0UP1g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/wO15bt0UP1g</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
Rowsey could be the next Mo Acker or he could be the next...well,

Gary Rosenberger?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
Gary Rosenberger?

I'm thinking white Aaron Hutchins.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »

the leap from South Dakota to the BE is bigger than the Big South to the BE

Wat?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
Wat?

Maybe I'm overrating the Big South???

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
If Rowsey put up "senior year Cubillan" type numbers (7 pts, 2-3 ast, 41% from 3), I'd be very pleased.

Same

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
What are the chances Dominic James is supplying the balloons for practice?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
What are the chances Dominic James is supplying the balloons for practice?

feedback