[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[March 28, 2024, 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU picked for 7th in Big East  (Read 27383 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: MU picked for 7th in Big East
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2016, 07:55:54 AM »

Be prepared to be disappointed.

His EFG% his last year at UNCA was .508.  There were SIX Marquette players who exceeded that last year:  Luke, JJJ, Haanif, Sandy, Sacar and Duane.

...but 54.1% as a frosh. Excluding fake games (non D1 opps, the figures were 49.6% & 54.6%, respectively. Huge drop & I hope a lot of it was the lack of a good #2 scoring option as a sophomore. May be luck 41% 3 in year 1 vs 37% in year 2 makes a big diff - both reasonably in the reasonable projection discussion for 2016-17
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
Agree in theory, word to try to live by. However, if the surgeon says it's 50/50 before he puts you under I think normal folks would give some thought (and a bit of worry) to the something that might not happen

True enough.  I said it was pointless; I didn't say it was always easy to do.  But I will say that any fan who wastes emotional energy worrying about Marquette's performance in the upcoming season is a fool in more ways than one.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »

They have a drill where they have to make ten 3 pointers from each of the 5 spots that are in a 3 point contest.....Rousey took only 55 shots to make the prescribed 50......

I know that is unguarded.....But that shows a "stroke".....

Anything over 50%in a game is over 66% from 2.....That will win most games......and you "have" to pay special attention to that if you are the opposing coach/team.....That should free up a lot of other players that have other specific abilities.....

I don't disagree with this.  However that just makes him a good shooter, not "our version of Steph Curry."  If he can give us what Cubillan gave us his senior year from outside, that would be sufficient. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »
But I will say that any fan who wastes emotional energy worrying about Marquette's performance in the upcoming season is a fool in more ways than one.

I see the wisdom in your statement - and over time I've let go of most of my emotional attachments to sports teams. But I can't kick Marquette basketball - I still have loads of emotional energy invested. As the song says, "I'm a fool to care".

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
I see the wisdom in your statement - and over time I've let go of most of my emotional attachments to sports teams. But I can't kick Marquette basketball - I still have loads of emotional energy invested. As the song says, "I'm a fool to care".

There is a difference between caring and worrying. I care, but I assume that they are going to be a good team until proven otherwise.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
There is a difference between caring and worrying. I care, but I assume that they are going to be a good team until proven otherwise.

Sadly for me, "I care, therefore I worry" is as etched in stone as "I think, therefore I am".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

You're right about this, chickadee.

In addition, there's the "not making myself crazy about what I can't control" factor.

I care deeply about the Warriors, I want us to play well and coach well and win. And yes, while watching a game, I get frustrated and overjoyed and upset and exhilarated.

But once the game ends (or the season ends), I move on. I can't influence a single thing the boys do, and I refuse to get worked up about any of it. I'm happy when I hear we sign a heralded recruit, but I don't get overly bummed when we miss one; that's college basketball.

All of that doesn't mean I love the Warriors any more or any less than others here. I guess it just means I'm wired a little  differently from some who live, eat, sleep and breathe it.

At this time of year, I see absolutely no reason to be anything other than optimistic. I'm also pragmatic; I'm not predicting a Final Four run. But if some things break right, I believe the NCAAs are very possible.

Sure, if things go bad, we could miss both the NCAAs and NIT again. That would be disappointing but again, I'll just wish we did better and go on with my life.

There are plenty of folks here who think 2015-16 was a "wasted" season because we didn't make the tourney. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the season. My wife and I went to Brooklyn and had a blast watching the lads win the title, we enjoyed several outings with the local MU club, and I thought the team made progress in Wojo's second season. To me, it wasn't a waste at all.

Hey, as much as I love the Warriors, there are too many other "real" things in this real world of ours to focus on - including some I actually can control.

Caring but not worrying ... excellent statement, chickadee!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback