[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU picked for 7th in Big East  (Read 27532 times)

Pakuni

• All American
MU picked for 7th in Big East
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
Marquette was picked for seventh place.  Last year, with one of the youngest rosters in the country, the Golden Eagles put together a 20-13 season and an 8-10 conference record.  This season, Marquette has four starters back.  Senior center Luke Fischer averaged 12.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and shot 60.8 percent from the field.  Sophomore guard Haanif Cheatham impressed as a rookie by compiling an 11.8 scoring average and making the BIG EAST All-Freshman Team.  Senior guard Jajuan Johnson averaged 10.2 points.  Sophomore guard Traci Carter earned a starting spot as a freshman and averaged 5.4 points.

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010164924.aspx

Fischer on preseason 2nd team. No other MU representation. Surprised Haanif gets no mention.

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010163751.aspx

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: MU picked for 7th in Big East
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
I'd bet they'll finish better than 7th. Returning 4 starters but they don't mention the 2 transfers that started and played major roles for their respective teams. They'll need to rebound at every position and figure out how to play average defense. I think they're a NIT team and dark horse for the tourney. I'm bullish.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
Coaches must read paint touches. I picked the exact order besides SJU and Providence being switched. And in hindsight, I think the coaches are right.

I'm not surprised by no Haanif. I don't even think he's a top three player on our team. Which isn't a knock against him, I just have really high hopes for Luke, Rowsey, JJJ, and Reinhardt
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »
Coaches must read paint touches. I picked the exact order besides SJU and Providence being switched. And in hindsight, I think the coaches are right.

I'm not surprised by no Haanif. I don't even think he's a top three player on our team. Which isn't a knock against him, I just have really high hopes for Luke, Rowsey, JJJ, and Reinhardt

My #mancrush is showing, but I think Haanif ends up being at least our second best player this year(not sure how'd we measure this) and at least 2nd team All Big East.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
I understand there is excitement in D.C. regarding Pryor, Akau, and an improved Govan but all the potential in the world can't overcome the horrendous coaching they have in place. Yet every October for the past half decade, the Hoyas are considered a dangerous team.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
I understand there is excitement in D.C. regarding Pryor, Akau, and an improved Govan but all the potential in the world can't overcome the horrendous coaching they have in place. Yet every October for the past half decade, the Hoyas are considered a dangerous team.

As well as the Wednesday before the first weekend of the tournament.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
I am bullish and think this Warrior tram will surprise a lot if people.  After we whip the Badgers we will win in the Big East because if our great shooting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »

If Haanif is the 5th best player on Marquette this is a top 25 team and there is no way there are 6 teams ahead of us in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
I think there is lots of question marks on this team, but they are 12 deep, it will be up to the coach to get them to play together and figure out whom deserves time
on the court or not.  Talent is there, have to rebound.  Hauser might be the key.  If he can rebound or play some inside D, his ability to go outside and shoot will be much
like Jae and Lazar.  It will be just as hard for other true 4's to guard him.  If this happens, might be 4th or 5th,  Wojo needs some improvement, at least to get the
students to come and watch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
Marquette was picked for seventh place.  Last year, with one of the youngest rosters in the country, the Golden Eagles put together a 20-13 season and an 8-10 conference record.  This season, Marquette has four starters back.  Senior center Luke Fischer averaged 12.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and shot 60.8 percent from the field.  Sophomore guard Haanif Cheatham impressed as a rookie by compiling an 11.8 scoring average and making the BIG EAST All-Freshman Team.  Senior guard Jajuan Johnson averaged 10.2 points.  Sophomore guard Traci Carter earned a starting spot as a freshman and averaged 5.4 points.

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010164924.aspx

Fischer on preseason 2nd team. No other MU representation. Surprised Haanif gets no mention.

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/10/10/MBB_1010163751.aspx

This all seems reasonable.

Now it's up to the lads to prove the predictors are underestimating us!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »
You think Rowsey could be better than Haanif?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »
I am bullish and think this Warrior tram will surprise a lot if people.  After we whip the Badgers we will win in the Big East because of our great shooting.
[/color]

Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it and we will still get killed on the boards giving other teams 2, 3, 4 or more chances to score. I hope I'm wrong I really really do.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »

I guess no one is impressed with Duane either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »

"Could be?"  Sure.  There's an argument to be made for it.  He's more experienced, handles the ball better, better O and D ratings.

The question is can he handle the upgrade in competition. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »

Death on call

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
I guess no one is impressed with Duane either.

Are you?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
Haanif had a really good freshmen year. He was overshadowed by Henry, which may of hurt his recognition. However, I suspect that he greatly benefited from Henry being on the floor. He was much better than Henry at driving and actually making a layup and he was a better three point shooter than Henry. However, the defenses were more focus on Henry than Haanif. By all reports Haanif is stronger and more athletic this year, so it will be interesting to see how he fares this year. In the second Butler game, where it was questionable if Henry would play, Haanif did not score a point and he seemed to be intimidated by Butler's defense. Did Butler's defense focus more on Haanif in that game or did he just have an off game? It will be a while before we know how much Henry being on the floor hurt or helped the rest of our players.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

Cheatham will give JJJ a run for his money as best player. Luke will most important because of lack of replacement. Rowsey and Reinhardt will be nice additions, neither better than Haanif though. I think he'll make the leap from an already impressive freshman season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
It will be a while before we know how much Henry being on the floor hurt or helped the rest of our players.

First of all, I am cautiously optimistic about this year. I predicted 20+ wins and a pretty good Big East record, which would get us in the tournament. I admit a lot of this is my heart speaking but I see lots of things improving this year.

As to Henry, it's an intangible but it seemed like whenever the team "needed" something, there was a concept of "let Henry do it." They looked for Henry and his talent rather than working as a team to get a basket or a defensive stop. This was especially true early in the season and something that was not quite as prevalent as the season went on. Nonetheless, with Henry gone, Haaniff, JJJ and Luke will have to pick it up. If our outside shooting is materially improved, we'll be in the top half of the conference for sure.

Here's hoping.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
For as much as players will be effected by being more of a focus of an opposing team's defensive gameplan without Hank around, the additional shooting ability of this team will open the floor up just as much for those same players.

I would be very surprised if JJJ was our best player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »

From what I've heard he was the better player in practice last season. I'll also admit some bias. I hate turnovers more than anything else. HCs leading the team in TOs kept me from having the same level of admiration for him as others. Still think he's a stud, but he's gotta work on ball control and going to his right.

I think Rowsey could be our Rotnei Clark.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
Haanif had a really good freshmen year. He was overshadowed by Henry, which may of hurt his recognition. However, I suspect that he greatly benefited from Henry being on the floor. He was much better than Henry at driving and actually making a layup and he was a better three point shooter than Henry. However, the defenses were more focus on Henry than Haanif. By all reports Haanif is stronger and more athletic this year, so it will be interesting to see how he fares this year. In the second Butler game, where it was questionable if Henry would play, Haanif did not score a point and he seemed to be intimidated by Butler's defense. Did Butler's defense focus more on Haanif in that game or did he just have an off game? It will be a while before we know how much Henry being on the floor hurt or helped the rest of our players.

See if he worked on, drive and pull up jump shot to add to his game, would make a big difference.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »
Luke has a shot to be our best player if he can actually stay on the floor. He didn't show the ability to do that last season.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Being underestimated is usually to one's advantage.
Have some patience, FFS.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »
Luke has a shot to be our best player if he can actually stay on the floor. He didn't show the ability to do that last season.

Luke's defense has never been stellar but I think it's going to suffer this year with his fear of foul trouble. Really hope Matt "the bat outta" Heldt can surprise some folks.

feedback