[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who will have the better senior year

Katin Reinhardt
15 (13%)
JJJ
54 (47%)
Luke Fischer
46 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Senior Seasons  (Read 16378 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Senior Seasons
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
MU only loses 33.5 minutes/game. Heldt will get some as the only other big. Reinhardt wasn't brought in to sit on the bench and if JJJ's last half of the season was for real, his minutes will increase.

So whose minutes are going to decrease significantly from last season?

Cheatham 29.5
Wilson 28.5
Fischer 28.2
Carter 23.9
JJJ 23.7
Cohen 23.3
Heldt 5.1 (20 G)
Anim 4.9 (17 G)

I think Cheatham's, Fischer's, Heldt's, Anim's, and JJJ's minutes stay relatively the same.  I think Duane's, Traci's, and Sandy's go down.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
I think Cheatham's, Fischer's, Heldt's, Anim's, and JJJ's minutes stay relatively the same.  I think Duane's, Traci's, and Sandy's go down.

Fair enough. 

I tend to believe that many on here are underrating Duane and overrating Rowsey. I guess we shall see.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
MU only loses 33.5 minutes/game. Heldt will get some as the only other big. Reinhardt wasn't brought in to sit on the bench and if JJJ's last half of the season was for real, his minutes will increase.

Cheatham 29.5
Wilson 28.5
Fischer 28.2
Carter 23.9
JJJ 23.7
Cohen 23.3
Heldt 5.1 (20 G)
Anim 4.9 (17 G)

MU loses 42.3 minutes from last year between Henry and Wally.

As in most seasons without lots of returning upperclassmen the minutes are up for grabs in many spots.

I don't see MU doing a lot of full court pressure......to do that effectively usually requires length, athleticism and quickness. Not a lot of that on this roster.

FWIW SI projects Rowsey will average 12 points per game. http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/10/13/marcus-foster-austin-nichols-top-100-transfers?xid=socialflow_twitter_si
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:01:39 PM by MuMark »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
I think C is pretty clear cut.  Fischer starts, Heldt off the bench.

PG, I think it is wide open but between Rowsey, Carter, and Howard there should be a solid starter and backup.

I project Cheatham, Johnson, and Reinhardt start in a positionless lineup with Wilson as 6th man.  One more switchable plays for a 9 man rotation.  MPG predictions:

Starting PG 25
Cheatham  28
Johnson  28
Reinhardt  28
Fischer 28

Bench
6.  Wilson  24
7.  Backup PG 15
8.  Heldt  12
9.  Cohen or Anim or Hauser 12

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
MU loses 42.3 minutes from last year between Henry and Wally.

As in most seasons without lots of returning upperclassmen the minutes are up for grabs in many spots.

I don't see MU doing a lot of full court pressure......to do that effectively usually requires length, athleticism and quickness. Not a lot of that on this roster.

FWIW SI projects Rowsey will average 12 points per game. http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/10/13/marcus-foster-austin-nichols-top-100-transfers?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Good call. Forgot about Wally.

Interesting that SI feels Rowsey will score more than Reinhardt.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »

Cheatham 29.5
Wilson 28.5

These are the 2 prime candidates, in my opinion. With so many other contributors at the 2 & 3 spots (Rowsey, Reinhardt, Howard, Johnson, Hauser, Cohen), my guess is that Cheatham and Wilson average somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes.

Who gets the minutes will depend on how each player defends, how many positions they can guard (how versatile they are within a switching man-to-man or matchup zone defense), how they're shooting and how they're protecting the ball. I predict far less patience for turnovers this season. Throw the ball away and you may be sitting out the next 5-10 minutes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »
I tend to believe that many on here are underrating Duane and overrating Rowsey. I guess we shall see.

I tend to think this as well.  But really until I see them actually play, this year seems hard for me to make projections.

I mean...Sam v. Sandy; Duane v. Rowsey; Traci v. Markus...  A lot of unkowns. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
Fair enough. 

Perhaps, but maybe there's a chance we're overrating both. Their games seem similar and both are likely to be playing off the ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »
I remember the good old days, when this thread was about seniors having good seasons.

Yep

Seems like some posters are enamored with inserting Blah,  Blah,  Blah, rather than Yada, Yada, Yada.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »
From everything I've heard Rowsey was very good last year in the practice gym and has continued to impress in the offseason.  I was told second hand that after playing some pickup basketball (I know, that's much different from Big East basketball, but it's still with all the same players) at the Al that Riley LaChance said "the transfer from UNC Whatever was by far the best player on the court.  He's killing it."  It's one thing when I hear it second hand from a guy like Broeker (still worth more than the knowledge I have...which is seeing them at Madness and maybe some Pro Am games), but when another high major D1 player is saying something that strong I think there's some merit.

But as others have said, we really don't know right now.  It's just what I think will happen, but I've certainly been wrong.  (I thought Gabe Levine was going to be really good for us, so...)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »

I tend to think this as well.  But really until I see them actually play, this year seems hard for me to make projections.

Scoop tendency is to overvalue the unknown.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »
Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Eats shoots and leaves.

#Commas,matter.

Who gives a f*ck about an Oxford comma?

I do, actually. They're quite practical.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
From everything I've heard Rowsey was very good last year in the practice gym and has continued to impress in the offseason.  I was told second hand that after playing some pickup basketball (I know, that's much different from Big East basketball, but it's still with all the same players) at the Al that Riley LaChance said "the transfer from UNC Whatever was by far the best player on the court.  He's killing it."  It's one thing when I hear it second hand from a guy like Broeker (still worth more than the knowledge I have...which is seeing them at Madness and maybe some Pro Am games), but when another high major D1 player is saying something that strong I think there's some merit.

I remember all the whispers about how Jay Zulauf (transfer from Bowling Green) was just killing it at the Rec. Center my senior year.  People were stoked.   That didn't turn out very well.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »

I remember all the whispers about how Jay Zulauf (transfer from Bowling Green) was just killing it at the Rec. Center my senior year.  People were stoked.   That didn't turn out very well.

Pick-up basketball is the ultimate "guards game."

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »

Cam Marotti, a teammate, sees it everyday, and states he is best player offensively on the court, defense will define how much he plays

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »

So, is Markus a true PG like Carter? And Rowsey, he'd play the 2 even though he's 5'10?

I'm just trying to understand who MIGHT be our starting and hopefully reliable PG.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »
So, is Markus a true PG like Carter? And Rowsey, he'd play the 2 even though he's 5'10?

I'm just trying to understand who MIGHT be our starting and hopefully reliable PG.

Markus: 2/1
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »
Who gives a f*ck about an Oxford comma?

Underrated song. Great work my friend!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
I think Hauser will slowly work his way into the starting 5

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:27 PM »
You guys are sleeping on Katin. He's gonna be our stud this year. I have a feeling Wojo will unleash him much like Buzz did with Wes in his senior year. He wasn't used well at USC.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:13:06 PM by kryza »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
Markus: 2/1

Man, you have some cryptic posts. This could mean:

a) Markus is a 2 (SG) first, a 1 (PG) second
b) Markus gives you 2 for 1; he's both a SG and a PG
c) Markus is a 2 (2 divided by 1 = 2 = SG)
d) Markus will have a breakout game on Feb. 1 (@ SJU)
e) All of the above

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »
Man, you have some cryptic posts. This could mean:

a) Markus is a 2 (SG) first, a 1 (PG) second
b) Markus gives you 2 for 1; he's both a SG and a PG
c) Markus is a 2 (2 divided by 1 = 2 = SG)
d) Markus will have a breakout game on Feb. 1 (@ SJU)
e) All of the above

2/1 odds he is our starter.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
2/1 odds he is our starter.

That would make sense, wouldn't it? That didn't even occur to me. But I'm not much of a gambler (or a statistician).

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
I'm 90% sure he meant he is a combo guard capable of playing both but probably more polished as a 2 right now.

I'm sure JB will correct me if I read it wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
I'm 90% sure he meant he is a combo guard capable of playing both but probably more polished as a 2 right now.

I'm sure JB will correct me if I read it wrong.

I agree with this analysis.

feedback