[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Years madness was actually cool?  (Read 18863 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Years madness was actually cool?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
He makes a new username anytime he'd post under Chicos anyway. This place is so much better minus chicos/hoopaloop/./oregonwarrior/bma77/his many other usernames.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Class71

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
Back in my day there was no Marquette Madness, we had Tip off Weekend with a parade down West Wisconsin. Fraternities, Sororities and other student groups would build floats and compete for best float. There was a dance in the evening if I recall. The only Madness we celebrated was in March.

Da good old days.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
Free Chicos 2016

"disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.  the obedient must be slaves"      -henry david thoreau

free the disobedient one ;)

don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
Zero surprises to the people who want CBB back. Im sure hes a fine person, just not near the scoop message board.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »
Zero surprises to the people who want CBB back. Im sure hes a fine person, just not near the scoop message board.

Not sure what you mean by this. Chico has actual experience working in the athletic departments of three epicenters of college basketball excellence. Combine that with decades spent inside the business of sports media which gives him a compelling perspective on our common passion that few others have.

No one argued with Jamie more than I. But I always knew that part of his schtick was to offer a contrarian view on a range of issues which fostered discussion and facilitated insight.

Scoop was characterized by free form debate which differentiated it from Dodds' insistence on strict adherence to the party polemic. For whatever reason, Scoop has lost much of its luster through a purging of intellectual honesty.

Thought provoking discussion has given way to the vapid shilling of a few banal topics by a relatively small number of people.

I applaud the founders of this site for their initiative in starting Scoop but the unmitigated exercise of authority almost always results in what Edmund Burke termed, "a very tepid tea."

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
Keefe, It wasn't the shtick.  He drove people nuts.  Mods had a great deal of patience. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
Not sure what you mean by this. Chico has actual experience working in the athletic departments of three epicenters of college basketball excellence. Combine that with decades spent inside the business of sports media which gives him a compelling perspective on our common passion that few others have.

No one argued with Jamie more than I. But I always knew that part of his schtick was to offer a contrarian view on a range of issues which fostered discussion and facilitated insight.

Scoop was characterized by free form debate which differentiated it from Dodds' insistence on strict adherence to the party polemic. For whatever reason, Scoop has lost much of its luster through a purging of intellectual honesty.

Thought provoking discussion has given way to the vapid shilling of a few banal topics by a relatively small number of people.

I applaud the founders of this site for their initiative in starting Scoop but the unmitigated exercise of authority almost always results in what Edmund Burke termed, "a very tepid tea."

Yes, Chico brings a unique perspective because of his background. And yes, he's bright and a contrarian by nature - which can benefit a message board.

On the other side of the ledger....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
Yes, Chico brings a unique perspective because of his background. And yes, he's bright and a contrarian by nature - which can benefit a message board.

On the other side of the ledger....

Well said.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:17 PM »

Couldn't say it any better myself, Crash. Its a message board. Let freedom ring and messages be expressed, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »

Couldn't say it any better myself, Crash. Its a message board. Let freedom ring and messages be expressed, ai na?

I agree here (no homo)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
the unmitigated exercise of authority

Dude.  You are clueless.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
The mods here give about the longest rope I've seen in about two decades of reading message boards. You have to bust your ass, really work hard to get banned here. You don't get banned here without wanting it, and ignoring dozens, if not hundreds, of warnings.

Anyone banned on Scoop has only themselves to blame, and ignored tons of requests from the mods to correct the behaviors that led to it. Don't blame the mods, blame Chicos.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 06:43:13 AM »
The mods here give about the longest rope I've seen in about two decades of reading message boards. You have to bust your ass, really work hard to get banned here. You don't get banned here without wanting it, and ignoring dozens, if not hundreds, of warnings.

Anyone banned on Scoop has only themselves to blame, and ignored tons of requests from the mods to correct the behaviors that led to it. Don't blame the mods, blame Chicos.

Classic victim blaming.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:45:13 AM by Lazar's Headband »

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »
2007 with highly touted 5-star Iman Shumpert in the audience and a surprise visit from Wade. So confident we were going to land him, only to commit to GTech a few weeks later.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
It's not perfect.  But IMO, it beats having upper classmen not show up, leaving many open rows up in front.  It creates more of a home court advantage.  The fact that for big games people do camp out, that's what we wanted.

Yeah but how much of that had to do with the product on the court? The way I would structure it now is, you get assigned sections and you get points for every game you attend. If you miss games you lose points, you could even scale it by giving more points to clunker games to make sure the students are incentivized to be at the games. That way if someone shows up for every game frosh through junior year, they are rewarded senior year by having some great seats and forces the younger students to go to games if they want to have anything close.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
Keefe, It wasn't the shtick.  He drove people nuts.  Mods had a great deal of patience.

He wasn't the only one, yet they are still here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »

Like who?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »

The two Scoopers who jousted most with Jamie were Lenny and me. Chico could be maddening and even infuriating yet he did offer some solid insight.

Suppressing thought is dangerous in any context. Trying to gauge tone and tenor can be a fool's game.

The volume and quality of discourse on the board is largely tied to the team's fortunes on the court and the past three years have been awful. But there have been other factors that have reduced traffic and diluted the nature and character of the conversation.

Churchill said that, 'success consists of going from failure to failure without an attendant loss of enthusiasm.' And he also said, 'courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.'

Death on call

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
a contrarian view on a range of issues which fostered discussion and facilitated insight.

It wasn't offering a contrarian view that has gotten him banned repeatedly, it is being a completely insufferable a-hole excuse for a human being.  Ask Chitown (I believe) about the PM Chicos sent him after his wife miscarried.

As alluded to elsewhere, you have try *really* hard to get banned here, but Chicos managed to be such a d-bag that he accomplished it on a regular basis. The mods were incredibly patient.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:16:48 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
It wasn't offering a contrarian view that has gotten him banned repeatedly, it is being a completely insufferable a-hole excuse for a human being.  Ask Chitown (I believe) about the PM Chicos sent him after his wife miscarried.

As alluded to elsewhere, you have try *really* hard to get banned here, but Chicos managed to be such a d-bag that he managed it on a regular basis. The mods were incredibly patient.

+1.  This isn't some governmental website that we need to worry about "suppressing thought."  People come here to discuss and enjoy Marquette basketball.  Chicos wasn't banned for being unable to agree with what moderators insisted he agree with, he was banned for being a pompous a-hole.  I'd edit Chicos's favorite "Not what is said, but who said it" statement to, "Not what is said, but how it is said."  I'm sure I come off the same quite often, but if the mods decided they needed to ban me as a result I'm not going to pretend I'm some victim and the moderators are restricting my rights as a United States citizen.  That's absurd.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »

As alluded to elsewhere, you have try *really* hard to get banned here, but Chicos managed to be such a d-bag that he managed it on a regular basis. The mods were incredibly patient.

It was me and it was my ex Girlfriend but semantics aside he did send an unbelievably innapropriate response to me sharing why I'm not completely naive on the subject of having children like he made me out to be in the debate we were having.

I agree with you the mods were extremely patient and he refused to obey the rules in the slightest.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
Jamie is bright and articulate, and no doubt a success in his career. 

It's like working with the person who is very talented, but has horrible values.  This person ends up driving everyone nuts, and is not worth their contribution. 

For organizations that have no values, there's plenty of room.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
The season cannot come soon enough.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »
The season cannot come soon enough.

Speaking of which, Mr. Rocky can we please get the ticker updated to Vandy, or even the exhibition? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback