Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A prediction for this coming season  (Read 6528 times)

tower912

• All American
A prediction for this coming season
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
There will be at least 4 MU losses where MU is engaged in a 1-2 possession game after the final media timeout and are unable to secure a defensive rebound, giving their opponents multiple opportunities and 90 seconds of possession which they use to score the dagger basket against MU. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: A prediction for this coming season
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Thats ridiculously specific. Four losses from that criteria is an awful lot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
I could have set it up as a poll and given an over/under.    And, yes, I am being that specific because I see all the ingredients needed to stay in a ton of games, with that one Achilles heel that will cost them (at least) that many games.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
I could have set it up as a poll and given an over/under.    And, yes, I am being that specific because I see all the ingredients needed to stay in a ton of games, with that one Achilles heel that will cost them (at least) that many games.

Although post player rebounding may be an issue, I do think we are above average in rebounding guards with Traci, Haanif and JJJ.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
It is a good thing that free throws do not matter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »
The nightmare scenario I see is the opponent having two post players in the game and running a high pick and roll with whomever Luke/Matt is guarding setting the screen and pulling our only big out near the 3 pt line.    A drive-dish-shot leaves KR/JjJ/HC/Sam/Sandy wresting with a 6'8, 235 lb post for the offensive rebound.    Their big gets the board and instead of powering it up, resets the offense and MU is stuck playing defense for another 30 seconds.  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
There will be at least 4 MU losses where MU is engaged in a 1-2 possession game after the final media timeout and are unable to secure a defensive rebound, giving their opponents multiple opportunities and 90 seconds of possession which they use to score the dagger basket against MU.

Rather optimistic IMO.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
Although post player rebounding may be an issue, I do think we are above average in rebounding guards with Traci, Haanif and JJJ.

JJJ won't be playing guard this year......not with Duane, Howard, Rowsey, Traci and Cheatham around.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
Thats ridiculously specific. Four losses from that criteria is an awful lot.

Well given that the last midget team lost Florida State, Nova (twice), West Virginia, Depaul and Washington because of that (arguably NC State as well) I'd say he's actually pretty spot on. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
Respect the process. We don't know what we have at all right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »
This type of scenario seemed to plague us last year. Not necessarily end of the game, but there were many times we'd be close to getting it to a one possession game or the brink of a big run, but couldn't get the defensive stop. We've been missing that toughness to get the big stop or loose ball to swing momentum on our side. It always felt like we were playing catch up.

Hopefully with some more experience, we will get some of those stops this year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
It is a good thing that free throws do not matter.

Pretty confident no one has said this on this site ever. I'm completely confident Jay Bee has never said that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
Rather optimistic IMO.

How on earth is that optimistic?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »
Thread topics like this give thread topics a bad name.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Why?   I see a lot of good on this team with one enormous Achilles heel.   I think that flaw will be a significant factor in several losses and laid out specific circumstances.    Where is the problem?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
How on earth is that optimistic?

He predicted we  would go 0-30 in the W - L prediction thread.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Wtf? Ok since we're playing this game ........there will be 4 games where MU is engaged in 1-2 possession game and hit 2 out of 3 scores and limit opportunities for the opponent.
AND THERE IS YOUR MU DAGGER!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »
You know how you overcome rebounding deficiencies?? Make baskets. Outscore your opponents. MU SHOULD(given their roster make up), be playing a run and gun pressing all over the court style of ball this year. That would give them their best chance of winning. Will they do it?? Maybe in stretches but not entire games, every game. They should, but they won't unfortunately.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »
Respect the process. We don't know what we have at all right now.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »
Why?   I see a lot of good on this team with one enormous Achilles heel.   I think that flaw will be a significant factor in several losses and laid out specific circumstances.    Where is the problem?
This team has a chance on any given night to beat a top 3 conference team, which they were not close to doing last season. They also have a chance to lose to a bottom three team. When we are hot we will be a very good team. When are are cold we will be a very bad team.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »

No problem.

I do think though you are discounting the possibility that the team strategy and concept around rebounding will be completely different this year than it was last year. We just don't know how the pieces will fit together with the strategy deployed because we haven't seen a team structured like this from Wojo.

Obviously he wants more size hence next years recruiting class but this years team is closest to what I think Wojo wants every year so this is the year where we get a good idea if A)Wojo's theory of basketball will work B)If he can coach players up.

One other point, in the OT you mentioned being concerned that our big would be pulled away leaving a 6'8" monster 4 on the other team to grab all the rebounds. This isn't the NBA, there aren't a ton of teams that can run out two or three big post rebounders at the end of games that are reliable. While we might be generally undersized in the post this year, I don't think in most games it will be nearly as drastic as it might seem or you think.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »
I could have set it up as a poll
Don't get all Heisy on us now Tower.....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »
Well good thing hauser just put on an in he and an extra 40lbs. Pencil him for more time at the 4.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Don't get all Heisy on us now Tower.....

Now that is insulting.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
The nightmare scenario I see is the opponent having two post players in the game and running a high pick and roll with whomever Luke/Matt is guarding setting the screen and pulling our only big out near the 3 pt line.    A drive-dish-shot leaves KR/JjJ/HC/Sam/Sandy wresting with a 6'8, 235 lb post for the offensive rebound.    Their big gets the board and instead of powering it up, resets the offense and MU is stuck playing defense for another 30 seconds.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Answer:  Shoot more 3's.  Missed 3's make long rebounds - over the opposing bigs and into the hands of our guards who will again hoist more threes.
problem solved.
Next issue?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."