Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Top 50 Non-Conference Games  (Read 3911 times)

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
Top 50 Non-Conference Games
« on: September 29, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »
Not sure if this was posted, but it was released earlier today:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-top-50-non-conference-college-basketball-games-for-the-2016-17-season/

Trying to ignore your bias, are there any games on our schedule that you think should be on here? I would think a neutral fan would say no.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Top 50 Non-Conference Games
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
Yes, but only because MTSU-Belmont and Princeton-Monmouth are on the list. Our games vs. Wisconsin, Georgia, and Michigan are better than that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
Marquette v Wisconsin has to be on here. It's a joke that it isn't. Top-10 team travels to play the instate rival that upset them at home a year ago? One of the best non-conference rivalries in college basketball? Ridiculous that it isn't included.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
Marquette v Wisconsin has to be on here. It's a joke that it isn't. Top-10 team travels to play the instate rival that upset them at home a year ago? One of the best non-conference rivalries in college basketball? Ridiculous that it isn't included.

Especially when they already put Wisconsin/Creighton on the list.  Unbelievable that any fan outside of Omaha would prefer that one.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »
We haven't made the NIT in three straight years.  We have no right to be in any Top 50 Non-conference games.  We need to start winning consistently if we want to make these types of lists.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
We haven't made the NIT in three straight years.  We have no right to be in any Top 50 Non-conference games.  We need to start winning consistently if we want to make these types of lists.

Actually we haven't made the NIT in 11 years
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »

I want to believe that but, truthfully, no one who isn't a Marquette or Wisco fan cares about the Marquette-Wisco game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
I want to believe that but, truthfully, no one who isn't a Marquette or Wisco fan cares about the Marquette-Wisco game.

Other than Duke/North Carolina and Kentucky/Louisville, how many college basketball rivalries are there that fans of anyone other than those two teams involved are there?  Maybe UCONN/Cuse?  But I think that's more because I was a fan of the Big East and that was the biggest rivalry in that conference.  Maybe Indiana/Kentucky?  I can't think of many others.

Michigan/Michigan State and Michigan/Ohio State are big football rivalries but not so much for basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »

Disagree completely. Honestly, there aren't a ton of meaningful, annual non-conference rivalries. Louisville/Kentucky, Syracuse/Georgetown, Cincinnati/Xavier, Indiana/Kentucky...it's not long before you get to the likes of Illinois/Missouri, and we're certainly a better rivalry than that.

The reality is there aren't that many marquee non-conference rivalries. We may not be top-5, but we certainly aren't far off. And again, I'm talking actually, existent rivalries, not just the "Villanova and Virginia will be a good game this year, let's call it a rivalry."

If you disagree, by all means list 10-15 bigger non conference rivalries. Even list 5. There aren't as many big ones as you might think, most big rivalries are in conference clashes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
Disagree completely. Honestly, there aren't a ton of meaningful, annual non-conference rivalries. Louisville/Kentucky, Syracuse/Georgetown, Cincinnati/Xavier, Indiana/Kentucky...it's not long before you get to the likes of Illinois/Missouri, and we're certainly a better rivalry than that.

The reality is there aren't that many marquee non-conference rivalries. We may not be top-5, but we certainly aren't far off. And again, I'm talking actually, existent rivalries, not just the "Villanova and Virginia will be a good game this year, let's call it a rivalry."

If you disagree, by all means list 10-15 bigger non conference rivalries. Even list 5. There aren't as many big ones as you might think, most big rivalries are in conference clashes.

Agreed but I'd add Utah/BYU to the list. It doesn't get as much play on the east coast but that is a ferocious rivalry.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »

I guess we just define "best" differently. I was looking at it from the standpoint of "casual fans will want to watch this game." IMO, there just aren't very many of those games. There are the handful that you mentioned and then a significant drop to the next tier, most of which are based primarily on fanhood.

We're MU fans so we're biased. MU-UW is easily the biggest non-conf game for us fans every single season. Does that mean it's a better rivalry than Temple-Nova, Utah-BYU or Iowa-Iowa State? To a non-partisan fan, probably not (unless both teams are highly ranked).

Sure, I'll admit Marquette-Wisconsin is one of the top 15 non-conference rivalries in college basketball...but Lynn Dickey is also one of the top 5 Packers' QBs of all time. It's all relative.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
I guess we just define "best" differently. I was looking at it from the standpoint of "casual fans will want to watch this game." IMO, there just aren't very many of those games. There are the handful that you mentioned and then a significant drop to the next tier, most of which are based primarily on fanhood.

We're MU fans so we're biased. MU-UW is easily the biggest non-conf game for us fans every single season. Does that mean it's a better rivalry than Temple-Nova, Utah-BYU or Iowa-Iowa State? To a non-partisan fan, probably not (unless both teams are highly ranked).

Sure, I'll admit Marquette-Wisconsin is one of the top 15 non-conference rivalries in college basketball...but Lynn Dickey is also one of the top 5 Packers' QBs of all time. It's all relative.

Here's the thing though...the rivalry really only had one down year. The game in 2013 was meaningful. Fairly close for most of the game, Jamil put in a good effort trying to get us back, and both teams were still relevant. No one knew at the time we'd fall short of the NIT.

2014, maybe not, there's your down year. 11-point loss at home in an ugly game by a bad Marquette team. But last year that was a good game. Sent Bo into retirement, arguably at the time Marquette came in the hotter team (and took the win as well). This year, it's likely another game between two teams that will be contending for the postseason.

There are other non-con rivalries out there, but this is the first time in a long time that our game with UW wasn't on this type of list. I think it's a bigger game than you realize, not just locally. It's been one of the most important non-con games for the past 20 years or so now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »
I consider myself more than a casual fan and that schedule is more hype than reality. It takes quite the imagination to come up with 50 games that we SHOULD be all geeked up for.  Many of these match-ups will depend on what position they are in at game time. If any of these teams is taking a crap at game time, they become, "whatever's". If certain players are playing up to there potential or a sleeper comes alive, game on!  It's way too early to call 50 games this soon.  Maybe 5-6 perennial matchups for the "casual" gym rat.  Most of those 50 however, are for fans that need to get a life.  They aren't "whoa Nelly" moments err anything. Most of them are channel surfing stoppers, then move along
don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »
The problem is that we see "rivalry" games such as us and Wisconsin and CBC sees "good" games. I see rivalry games as those such as Notre Dame and UCLA, Louisville and Kentucky, Indiana and Kentucky or the aforementioned Duke and North Carolina. Even IIllinois and Missouri counts and I think they still play Arch Madness.

I somehow fail to see how  Rhode Island and Cincinnati will be a challenging and interesting game (Cincinnati and West Virginia -- with the Huggy Bear however, would be another story).  MTSU and Belmont -- give me a break. Nobody living outside the Nashville-Davidson MSA will ever care! Now, if MTSU were to play to  Tennessee, that would be another story, especially if MTSU were to win!

With conference realignment, some traditional rivalries went bye bye, which was way too bad. Us and Loserville, for example. Or ND and UCLA and ND and us. We never had a real rivalry with Dayton but we and they should periodically be playing. Sure beats Grambling!

Would we ever kill Virginia Tech? Hmmmmm.......

feedback