Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Xavier Tillman and the Crystal Ball  (Read 81479 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Xavier Tillman and the Crystal Ball
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
I think you may have earned yourself a sweater-vest today.

Is it a participation sweater vest or did I really earn it? Maybe I'll have a ceremony either way
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
Ok so at what point do you think they shouldn't be given a ceremony? Should a three star? Non top 100 4star? If they all can have it isn't it essentially a participation trophy, which I believe you've advocated against in the past

Urban Prep in Chicago is a all-male charter high school in Englewood that is 85% low-income, and it sends 100% of its graduates to college - many on full-ride academic or need-based scholarships.

They have hat ceremonies for every senior once he decides on a school.  It is a nice way to show that you can get out of the 'hood even if you aren't an elite athlete.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »
Ok so at what point do you think they shouldn't be given a ceremony? Should a three star? Non top 100 4star? If they all can have it isn't it essentially a participation trophy, which I believe you've advocated against in the past (my bad if you haven't)

My kid did one in front of his brother, my wife and myself.  Except they were the free t-shirts he got from the tours.  It was very dramatic.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »

My kid did one in front of his brother, my wife and myself.  Except they were the free t-shirts he got from the tours.  It was very dramatic.

Is this on YouTube....would watch
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
It is not unfortunately. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
I think you may have earned yourself a sweater-vest today.

Plus tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
The kid is a getting a full ride to a Big Ten university!  If any of my kids did that we'd be eating at Carnevor for a month to celebrate.

Michigan F'n State --- do you realize how big of a deal that is?

Kudos to Xavier.  Seems like a good kid and you cannot beat playing for Izzo. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »

Crean 2.0!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
Urban Prep in Chicago is a all-male charter high school in Englewood that is 85% low-income, and it sends 100% of its graduates to college - many on full-ride academic or need-based scholarships.

They have hat ceremonies for every senior once he decides on a school.  It is a nice way to show that you can get out of the 'hood even if you aren't an elite athlete.

Hmm. A hat ceremony for a full ride academic scholarship. I like that.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
The kid is a getting a full ride to a Big Ten university!  If any of my kids did that we'd be eating at Carnevor for a month to celebrate.

Michigan F'n State --- do you realize how big of a deal that is?

Kudos to Xavier.  Seems like a good kid and you cannot beat playing for Izzo.
TRUE DAT  ;D
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »
Ok so at what point do you think they shouldn't be given a ceremony? Should a three star? Non top 100 4star? If they all can have it isn't it essentially a participation trophy, which I believe you've advocated against in the past (my bad if you haven't)

For announcing their decision, I really don't care. If 10 students in your chess club and a handful of family members are willing to watch Johnny announce which academic scholarship he's accepting, go for it. Even stream it live on your Facebook.

I'm not an advocate of participation trophies, but I view this like a birthday party. Personally, I don't really celebrate my birthday, certainly not with a party. But if someone else wants to, I wouldn't begrudge that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
MUFANNY, you asked what the word was in Grand Rapids.   I don't have a vast array of sources.  The ones I do have always thought it was going to be Sparty.   One of the reasons I said I never bet against Izzo.    Early in the process, I alluded to a contentious custody battle involving X's parents.    His father ended up with custody and X ended up transferring between local high schools because of it.   I was not filled with optimism when I heard that his mother possibly favored MU.     So, mildly disappointed, but not remotely surprised. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
MUFANNY, you asked what the word was in Grand Rapids.   I don't have a vast array of sources.  The ones I do have always thought it was going to be Sparty.   One of the reasons I said I never bet against Izzo.    Early in the process, I alluded to a contentious custody battle involving X's parents.    His father ended up with custody and X ended up transferring between local high schools because of it.   I was not filled with optimism when I heard that his mother possibly favored MU.     So, mildly disappointed, but not remotely surprised.
Thanks. Once I found out about the girlfriend situation I figured it would be hard to compete. 

I would not be surprised if two years from now X shows up on our doorstep as a transfer after being recruited over.

Also I think we have a dialogue with his teammate the point guard Duane Washington Jr. who has a lot of upside. So this was all worth it.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »

I would not be surprised if two years from now X shows up on our doorstep as a transfer after being recruited over.

If we can get to the point where MSU cast-offs are seeing us a good place for quick PT, we will have arrived.  Sign. Me. Up. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
Does anyone find it strange that the Crystal Bowel was changing this morning to MU, and yet it didn't happen? What was convincing people that he was coming here?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2016, 05:27:18 PM »
For announcing their decision, I really don't care. If 10 students in your chess club and a handful of family members are willing to watch Johnny announce which academic scholarship he's accepting, go for it. Even stream it live on your Facebook.

I'm not an advocate of participation trophies, but I view this like a birthday party. Personally, I don't really celebrate my birthday, certainly not with a party. But if someone else wants to, I wouldn't begrudge that.

Apparently you don't appreciate how big a deal it is to go to college if you grew up in Englewood. It would be a participation trophy if this were going on at New Trier, but not here.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
Does anyone find it strange that the Crystal Bowel was changing this morning to MU, and yet it didn't happen? What was convincing people that he was coming here?

I wonder if anyone here thinks the crystal bowel is a marketing tool.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »

No, not strange. Understand what the Cristal bowel is. A marketing tool / gimmicky game. It worked again today, as designed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Apparently you don't appreciate how big a deal it is to go to college if you grew up in Englewood. It would be a participation trophy if this were going on at New Trier, but not here.

I think you misunderstood my intent. Maybe I did a poor job of explaining. I am not an advocate of participation trophies, however I don't feel going to college is a participation trophy. It is something worth celebrating.

Where I referenced myself, I don't celebrate much. We don't really celebrate birthdays, holidays, or have parties for much of anything. However if you have something you feel is worth celebrating, such as said birthday, holiday, or going to college, I think it's perfectly warranted and see no problem with that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
If we can get to the point where MSU cast-offs are seeing us a good place for quick PT, we will have arrived.  Sign. Me. Up.

Teal?  I certainly hope so.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
I wonder if anyone here thinks the crystal bowel is a marketing tool.

Nicely done.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
Is it a participation sweater vest or did I really earn it? Maybe I'll have a ceremony either way

Depends.  Are you a three-star?  An non top-100 four-star?

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
Depends.  Are you a three-star?  An non top-100 four-star?

Well I could dunk in high school so I easily was a five star
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
Teal?  I certainly hope so.

Check out who the Lens was responding to and you'll have your answer.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.