[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Xavier Tillman and the Crystal Ball  (Read 81474 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Xavier Tillman and the Crystal Ball
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
I haven't followed a player's recruitment as closely as this one since Vander I would say. Concerns me that the Crystal Ball guys havent updated at all since his visit and no one has Xavier as an MU lean despite what appears to have a been a very positive visit and a strong interest from both parties. When do those guys usually update? This guy to me looks alot like Gardner with the footwork but with MUCH more athleticsm...Gardner didn't dunk in a game until his senior year from what I remember....Need a big man like this

MuMark

• All American
Re: Xavier Tillman and the Crystal Ball
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »
I think you should ask Jaybee for his opinion.......

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
Concerns me that the Crystal Ball guys havent updated at all since his visit and no one has Xavier as an MU lean despite what appears to have a been a very positive visit and a strong interest from both parties. When do those guys usually update?

The cristal bowel is just a little marketing toy. Many who play it update when either (a) there is widely-known information that is known by the general public or (b) they are bored and update a punch of little picks (i.e., play the game for fun).

X and mom have been transparent with their plans and timing. Not much for the marketing toy players to react to.

Don't sweat it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
If there's a big shift, it will probably start Thursday night or Friday morning. Once those picks get made, it usually means word is out.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:03 PM »
I haven't followed a player's recruitment as closely as this one since Vander I would say. Concerns me that the Crystal Ball guys havent updated at all since his visit and no one has Xavier as an MU lean despite what appears to have a been a very positive visit and a strong interest from both parties. When do those guys usually update? This guy to me looks alot like Gardner with the footwork but with MUCH more athleticsm...Gardner didn't dunk in a game until his senior year from what I remember....Need a big man like this
I could be wrong, but I think Gardner hurt his knee when he came down after attempting a dunk in his sophomore year.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
I think hes going to MSU, we gave it a great shot but if he matches up the pros and cons of the schools and the family and girlfriend angle, we come up a little short. But I,ve  been known to be wrong!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »
I think hes going to MSU, we gave it a great shot but if he matches up the pros and cons of the schools and the family and girlfriend angle, we come up a little short. But I,ve  been known to be wrong!
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:05:47 PM »
Respect the process.

Yep,  Give it your best shot, and wait.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:38:30 PM »
I'd put it at 50-50-0. With the zero being Purdue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think Gardner hurt his knee when he came down after attempting a dunk in his sophomore year.

I could be wrong, but I think Gardner got stuffed by the underside of the rim on at least a couple of dunk attempts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 05:44:54 AM »
The problem with people's armchair analysis of the pros and cons is that it leaves out probably THE most important factor.  The relationship with the coaches.  We have no idea how he feels about Izzo and company versus Wojo and company.  Just let it play out and see what happens.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »
The problem with people's armchair analysis of the pros and cons is that it leaves out probably THE most important factor.  The relationship with the coaches.  We have no idea how he feels about Izzo and company versus Wojo and company.  Just let it play out and see what happens.

Yep.  More generally, as fans, we see what we perceive to be pros and cons...but its impossible to know how closely our perception matches that of an 18-year old kid most of us have never met.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
Yep.  More generally, as fans, we see what we perceive to be pros and cons...but its impossible to know how closely our perception matches that of an 18-year old kid most of us have never met.

If a middle aged man was making the decision he would pick the safe choice, the more sure thing.  Lucky for MU X is an 18 year old kid.  That is why the recruiting process is so hard to predict. (Glad my job doesn't depend on it).  You guys have only got a few days to wait for an answer.  Unless you have true inside information lets not try to handicap this based on what we think is important.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »
If a middle aged man was making the decision he would pick the safe choice, the more sure thing.  Lucky for MU X is an 18 year old kid.  That is why the recruiting process is so hard to predict. (Glad my job doesn't depend on it).  You guys have only got a few days to wait for an answer.  Unless you have true inside information lets not try to handicap this based on what we think is important.

I point that has not been suggested is how good is Tillman?  He is ranked in the Top100 for sure, but at the lower end.  At MSU, will he be over-recruited by Izzo.  I am
not sure at Marquette that will happen.  It sounds like Tillman is an undersized 5 or 10 foot range player at the 4.  Where does he fit at MSU vs. MU?  Is Theo John
the same player or Eke?  Differences?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
I point that has not been suggested is how good is Tillman?  He is ranked in the Top100 for sure, but at the lower end.  At MSU, will he be over-recruited by Izzo.  I am
not sure at Marquette that will happen.  It sounds like Tillman is an undersized 5 or 10 foot range player at the 4.  Where does he fit at MSU vs. MU?  Is Theo John
the same player or Eke?  Differences?

So our recruiting pitch should be that "you're really not good enough for MSU anyway?"

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »

So our recruiting pitch should be that "you're really not good enough for MSU anyway?"

Our recruiting pitch should be, you will start for 4 years here.  Not be over-recruited here, there maybe.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 09:36:23 AM »
Our recruiting pitch should be, you will start for 4 years here.  Not be over-recruited here, there maybe.

Still a pretty weak argument. I'd expect a more positive pitch from the coaching staff.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »

That's a terrible recruiting pitch. Not only is it small-minded thinking, but it's a lie. No chance MU is going to go four years without recruiting another PF (nor, obviously, should they). And promising a kid he'll start for four years? So, if say, MU has a chance to land a McDonald's AA at the same position two years from now they shouldn't?

The pitch should be that Marquette intends to play at the highest level. That means bringing in the best players at ALL positions to compete, and that competition will make Xavier (or whoever else they're recruiting) the best player they can be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »

You want our coaching staff to promise someone a four-year starting job before his senior year in high school??  And this is after you question how good he really is?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:02:56 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »

LOL we are recruiting Joey Hauser and Race Thompson hard in the class immediately following him. There will be competition for PT wherever he goes.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
Can we get a Big Daddy update?
I'll put up the BD signal.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »

So what's your answer as a middle aged man? A coach that has sent every class (outside of 1 I believe) to the final four? Or a coach that hasn't coached a single post season game. Not a knock on wojo, takes time...but I'm confused by your analysis. Looks to me that Tillman would play day 1 at MSU. You're talking about a top 5 program that has made you a priority. I hope he comes to MU, but it would be hard to say no to that. if by safe you mean floor time, there's no guarantee at MU. John and Heldt will compete for his minutes. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
That's a terrible recruiting pitch. Not only is it small-minded thinking, but it's a lie. No chance MU is going to go four years without recruiting another PF (nor, obviously, should they). And promising a kid he'll start for four years? So, if say, MU has a chance to land a McDonald's AA at the same position two years from now they shouldn't?

+1.  Has the "I will be the best husband ever because I'm so out of your league" proposal ever worked in the history of everything?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
Well, Jim McIlvaine was ranked slightly higher than Tillman is (mid 70s, IIRC) and Kevin O'Neill kept him away from UCLA by using the "they'll recruit over you" pitch sucessfully.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback