[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I talked to Bobby Knight today at Trump Tower today about 1976 and Al McGuire  (Read 2237 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
http://takeback.org/take-back-makes-case-presidential-campaigns/

I had a chance to talk to Bobby Knight one-on-one for a bit today at Trump Tower before he went into a CNN interview. I joked with him that in writing a book on Marquette basketball the most painful chapter was 1976. He immediately talked about how much he loved Al McGuire, and the understanding of the game and shared values. He was as nice as could be both one-on-one and then meeting with me and a co-worker of mine and small group. One really interesting thing he said was that even in an incredible experience like going through the undefeated season in 1976, but that you really don't remember anything about any of the specific games and how each played out after all those years of coaching.

My colleague was funny when she noticed he had the same red sweater and khaki pants as when she then googled him, and I let her know that he always wore that outfit when coaching.

Fro those of you who are younger fans - in 1976 the NCAA did not seed to spread out the regions, so even though Indiana was No. 1 and the last undefeated team and Marquette was #2, they put us in the same bracket so the top two teams had to play in the Elite 8, which Indiana won in light to the title.

http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

real chili 83

• All American
Did Bobby mention his close, personal friend, Sid Hartman?  That's a MN joke, if you follow Sid.   ;)

Thanks for sharing John.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
hah, no just talked about Al. If it were the first time I had heard of him, I would not believe he ever had a temper - sounded mild mannered and a very nice guy.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

HouWarrior

• All American
The Ubiquitous Bob Knight sweater....still lives on.

In Spring of 2001, Knight had just left for his new Texas Tech Gig, and was apparently in Houston to meet with some alums for an intro lunch.

He arrived early (or on time) and was alone at the table next to mine ( I was also alone waiting on my guests)....He is easily recognized, as he had on the red sweater....so we talked for awhile; killing the time and waiting on our arrivals

Coincidentally, to your Trump Tower post, we also chatted up McGuire  and our shared 1976 memory. Said very nice things about McGuire and MU program. As I was at UH law during the Phi Slamma Jamma loss to NC State..we also chatted on Guy V. Lewis. Bobby said (maybe just being nice) that he thought that was the best team ever not to win an NCAA. Very Nice guy; nice conversation.

I remember thinking then that the Tx Tech Red Raider colors could transition him nicely to continue wearing the red sweater. At Tech however, you may recall he added some sponsorship patches on the sweater (my brother, who covered him while at an Indiana TV station...quipped the sponsor patched Tech sweater made him look like Roy "Tin Cup" McEvoy...ie banished to West Texas). 2001 was a rough patch for Coach Knight....He never really got back his full mojo after the  IU years...
Of Course...Lubbock has never heard a coach exclaim "Its Texas Tech ....Its Texas Tech. ..."
lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
I had the good fortune to be at the 1976 game.  Unfortunate that we lost, but saw two truly great teams...probably the two best teams I ever saw on the court in person.

I also saw Bobby a couple of years back - didn't talk to him because he was busy - but, yep...he was wearing khakis and the red sweater!