[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Impact of Henry  (Read 5866 times)

lurch91

• All American
Impact of Henry
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
Sorry, if this has been talked about in other threads, been in hibernation for the last few months.

But, now that Wojo signed a McDonald's AA and helped him be a high draft pick, has this given Wojo and company the ammo to sign bigs?  The knock was, bigs went to the blue bloods to get noticed and developed.  We all know how hard it was for Crean and Buzz to consistently get a big.

Wojo got Henry and can point to him for future bigs to say "Playing at Marquette and in the best pure basketball conference didn't hurt his development and draft status.  You can expect the same."

With the verbals of Cain (6-7), John (6-9) and Eke (6-9), has Marquette left the years of midgets behind?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:43:43 AM by lurch91 »

Hubert Davis

• Starter
Re: Impact of Henry
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
I believe you're right. It definitely seems like Wojo/Marquette has some momentum on the recruiting trail right now. The future is bright, which is cool, but this year's team needs to win as well.

Just win baby!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »
I think it could be more our gaping hole with big men right now. Not saying the impact of Henry won't help, but I would assume immediate playing time is helping more.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
I believe you're right. It definitely seems like Wojo/Marquette has some momentum on the recruiting trail right now. The future is bright, which is cool, but this year's team needs to win as well.

Just win baby!
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
I think it could be more our gaping hole with big men right now. Not saying the impact of Henry won't help, but I would assume immediate playing time is helping more.

True, but Crean and Buzz has playing time to sell for years.  They best they could do was Merritt and Otule.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
Sorry, if this has been talked about in other threads, been in hibernation for the last few months.

But, now that Wojo signed a McDonald's AA and helped him be a high draft pick, has this given Wojo and company the ammo to sign bigs?  The knock was, bigs went to the blue bloods to get noticed and developed.  We all know how hard it was for Crean and Buzz to consistently get a big.

Wojo got Henry and can point to him for future bigs to say "Playing at Marquette and in the best pure basketball conference didn't hurt his development and draft status.  You can expect the same."

With the verbals of Cain (6-7), John (6-9) and Eke (6-9), has Marquette left the years of midgets behind?

Evidently, you failed to notice that Henry's year at Marquette led to him going from projected top 10 pick to the 18th pick in the draft.

I believe that the pitch is more along the lines of; "Under Coach K, I worked with many sucessful bigs at Duke and then with the many of the most talented bigs in the world for USA basketball.  I know how you'll need to be developed to get to the next level."

So, I think that we are looking at more of a Wojo effect then a Henry Ellenson effect.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:50:39 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
Yeah, I'm not too sure Henry will be the best example, considering he was expected to be a top draft pick before he even set foot on campus.

What would be a fantastic scenario is if Luke has a great year and ends up being drafted.  That would definitely be something that Wojo can point to.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »
It does appear the Henry's draft status fell. A lot of this has to do with his overall athleticism, which would not of changed no matter where he went. As far as this year's recruiting Wojo is doing a good job trying to fill the teams needs, but they are borderline top 100's vs. McDonald's Americans. Wojo needs some deep runs into NCAA tournament to have a reasonable chance of signing top 25 players.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Evidently, you failed to notice that Henry's year at Marquette led to him going from projected top 10 pick to the 18th pick in the draft.

I believe that the pitch is more along the lines of; "Under Coach K, I worked with many sucessful bigs at Duke and then with the many of the most talented bigs in the world for USA basketball.  I know how you'll need to be developed to get to the next level."

So, I think that we are looking at more of a Wojo effect then a Henry Ellenson effect.

Fair.  But, by playing at Marquette didn't relegate Henry to playing in the wasteland that Buzz made the Big East out to be when he left. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »

What would be a fantastic scenario is if Luke has a great year and ends up being drafted. 

Several scoopers have said this will NEVER happen. ::)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
Wojo needs some deep runs into NCAA tournament to have a reasonable chance of signing top 25 players.

Wojo is the first Marquette coach to sign a top 25 player in the past 36 years  ::)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »

It really depends on which mock draft you looked at with Henry. All last year I preferred to look at NBA Draft. Net ,which consistently had him in the 24 range .  After the season ended that website started to move him up in the days before the draft and the final predication  was pretty close to where he was ultimately drafted.

The Wojo Pitch is I have successfully worked with many Bigs throughout my entire career and nothing changed when I came to Marquette. In fact Henry Ellenson came and developed enough under our coaching staff to realize on his dream of being an NBA draft pick.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
My guess on his sales pitch:

1. Wojo has a history of working with and winning with bigs.

2. The Big East is still a place where you can win a national championship. Why not us?

3. Recent NBA players (Ellenson included).

4. Facilities.

5. History of the program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
My guess is Wojo's sales pitch is different to every player he recruits.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »
My guess is Wojo's sales pitch is different to every player he recruits.

No need to guess - it's in Xavier's twitter picture in the other thread.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Wojo is the first Marquette coach to sign a top 25 player in the past 36 years  ::)

35 and counting for the next.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
Fair.  But, by playing at Marquette didn't relegate Henry to playing in the wasteland that Buzz made the Big East out to be when he left.

I'm really confused by what this statement is attempting to mean, but the Big East is basically a "wasteland" relative to the old. There are only 2 real marquee matchups a year now. The rest are basically snooze fests.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
I'm really confused by what this statement is attempting to mean, but the Big East is basically a "wasteland" relative to the old. There are only 2 real marquee matchups a year now. The rest are basically snooze fests.

I mean if you're not a fan of good basketball that's true.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

When Buzz went on tv after leaving he claimed he left because there was no way a school out of a basketball only conference could ever win a national championship. Oops.

As to the conference being a "wasteland," Nova and Xavier are in our building every year, Georgetown is (top 25) good more often than not, Butler is almost always good, and Creighton is a fun ride every year. From a pure basketball perspective I'd rather be in this conference than the SEC, A10, or AAC, maybe even the Pac 12. It may not be the old Big East, but wasteland it ain't.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »
The conference is going to average 5 NCAA bids a year, which is 50% of the teams. So it is not a basketball wasteland. It does lack the blue bood team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »

It won't.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »
The conference is going to average 5 NCAA bids a year, which is 50% of the teams. So it is not a basketball wasteland. It does lack the blue bood team.

How many teams in that definition?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

I'm not saying it will happen.  In fact, I would be surprised if it did.

But when someone has the size like Luke has, anything can happen.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »

Well, the ole wasteland conference is represented by the team that just won the national championship.  other than that, yeah, I guess it's lucky to be D-1
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »

I'll say only that I seriously doubt Luke can play himself into a serious NBA look.

I'd love to be proven wrong, because it will mean he had one hell of a senior season. If it that's true, I like our chances of not only making the NCAAs but advancing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson