[Today at 04:54:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Iowa 4 teams  (Read 6702 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Iowa 4 teams
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/iowas-big-4-classic-extended-through-2019

I don't care if MU ever plays UW-GB or UW-M, but it's interesting to see that's it's possible in a comparable state.  Think I'll root for Drake in this one. ;)
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Iowa 4 teams
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/iowas-big-4-classic-extended-through-2019

I don't care if MU ever plays UW-GB or UW-M, but it's interesting to see that's it's possible in a comparable state.  Think I'll root for Drake in this one. ;)
It is possible for sure. Money as always is the obstacle. Hy Vee is a factor in Iowa so I am sure it is worth everyones while economically. Sounds like a lot of fun for the people of Iowa.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:17:36 PM »
Please elaborate on Iowa and Wisconsin being comparable.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:55 AM »
Please dont bite on Benny B(ait)....sets the hook, reels you in and one of you ends up feeling filleted.
lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:55:40 AM »

They both have Sh!tty weather.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
The one nice thing about the Iowa situation is that Des Moines isn't home to either big school.  I suppose it might be possible here if it rotated between MKE and Madtown as the opening night tune up for the annual MU/Bucky game.  But I just don't see it.  I will give Bucky credit for dropping those two in-state games earlier this year.  Reduced their perceived leverage.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
Please dont bite on Benny B(ait)....sets the hook, reels you in and one of you ends up feeling filleted.
lol

Thank you for demonstrating why some require the crutch that is teal - because if you were simply conceding the argument, you could have simply posted the ol' "+1" or similar sentiment.

Frankly, it's a legitimate question because, as I see it, the only similarity between the two is that each has four D-I universities, one of which is private.  The critical difference between the two basically boils down to Iowa having no professional football or basketball teams* while Wisconsin has both... the relevance being that there is a much greater appetite for college-centric or semi-professional sporting events - tournaments or otherwise - for state residents to get behind in Iowa, whereas in Wisconsin, the UW-MU rivalry doesn't even attract every eyeball or eardrum in the state.  Seriously... outside of the two hours that the game is on, the other 22 hours of media focus and sports programming in Wisconsin that day is devoted to the Packers (and UW football when they've advanced to the B? championship).

So in the context of advocating why Wisconsin should host an in-state tournament, I don't see how citing Iowa as an example advances that cause.  Please, if I'm overlooking something, do enlighten me.

* (Why doesn't Iowa have professional basketball or football teams?  Because if they did, Minnesota would want some too.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
Thank you for demonstrating why some require the crutch that is teal - because if you were simply conceding the argument, you could have simply posted the ol' "+1" or similar sentiment.

Frankly, it's a legitimate question because, as I see it, the only similarity between the two is that each has four D-I universities, one of which is private.  The critical difference between the two basically boils down to Iowa having no professional football or basketball teams* while Wisconsin has both... the relevance being that there is a much greater appetite for college-centric or semi-professional sporting events - tournaments or otherwise - for state residents to get behind in Iowa, whereas in Wisconsin, the UW-MU rivalry doesn't even attract every eyeball or eardrum in the state.  Seriously... outside of the two hours that the game is on, the other 22 hours of media focus and sports programming in Wisconsin that day is devoted to the Packers (and UW football when they've advanced to the B? championship).

So in the context of advocating why Wisconsin should host an in-state tournament, I don't see how citing Iowa as an example advances that cause.  Please, if I'm overlooking something, do enlighten me.

* (Why no professional basketball or football teams in Iowa?  Because if they did, Minnesota would want some too.)

Here is another reason.

Northern Iowa and Drake are much better programs than UWGB and UWM.  That makes the match-ups, and therefore the overall event, more compelling.

UW v. UWGB followed by MU v. UWM is just a couple buy games knit together as a double-header.  <yawn>

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:20:35 AM »
The one private school involved in Iowa is Drake - which averaged 3,087 in home attendance last season.  MU averaged 13,308.

We have always heard that, as a private school, nearly the entire athletic budget is dependent on men's basketball revenues.  Could it be that Drake has much less to lose by giving up a home game...and might actually make more by playing a neutral court game against Iowa or Iowa State?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »

Here is another reason.

Northern Iowa and Drake are much better programs than UWGB and UWM.  That makes the match-ups, and therefore the overall event, more compelling.

UW v. UWGB followed by MU v. UWM is just a couple buy games knit together as a double-header.  <yawn>

Agreed. Sending Marquette to Des Moines to play UNI or Drake would make more sense than having an all Wisconsin showcase.

Also, UNI has their own fanbase. No, it's not as big as Iowa or ISU but an overwhelming number of UWM and UWGB alum are Badger basketball fans. UW playing either one of these teams isn't in any way, shape or form a rivalry worth noting.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
from a fan standpoint.  i'd love to go to mke or madison for a night and catch all four games.  other than that...makes no sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
Agreed. Sending Marquette to Des Moines to play UNI or Drake would make more sense than having an all Wisconsin showcase.

Also, UNI has their own fanbase. No, it's not as big as Iowa or ISU but an overwhelming number of UWM and UWGB alum are Badger basketball fans. UW playing either one of these teams isn't in any way, shape or form a rivalry worth noting.

Good point.  Iowa only has three public universities.  All Division 1.  All fairly successful at athletics. 

This isn't like Wisconsin, which has 13 four-year campuses only one of which has been a consistent winner at the D1 level.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »

Good point.  Iowa only has three public universities.  All Division 1.  All fairly successful at athletics. 

This isn't like Wisconsin, which has 13 four-year campuses only one of which has been a consistent winner at the D1 level.

Yep, about the success of all three of their publics.

NCAA appearances:

Iowa: 26
Iowa State: 18
UNI: 8

Madison: 22
GB: 5
Milwaukee: 4

Great deal for Drake playing among state teams with 52 collective appearances.  Not so great for MU playing teams with 29 collective appearances...especially since we have more than that ourselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
Yep, about the success of all three of their publics.

NCAA appearances:

Iowa: 26
Iowa State: 18
UNI: 8

Madison: 22
GB: 5
Milwaukee: 4

Great deal for Drake playing among state teams with 52 collective appearances.  Not so great for MU playing teams with 29 collective appearances...especially since we have more than that ourselves.

Also, Iowa has at times been a national football power and UNI has won national championships at the FCS level.  Iowa State?  Not so much but they are a P5 team in the Big 12.

Green Bay and Milwaukee?  No football.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »
Ok, here ya go Benny
       "Why doesn't Iowa have professional basketball or football teams?  Because if they did, Minnesota would want some too.)"

+1 baby!!   In all seriousness, meatloaf all over my screen-thanks
don't...don't don't don't don't

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »
Good for Iowa. Not interested in the Wisconsin version.

But Indiana should really look into this: Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue, Butler.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »
Good for Iowa. Not interested in the Wisconsin version.

The Crossroads Classic  is played each year in Indianapolis and is composed of Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue and Butler.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »

The Crossroads Classic  is played each year in Indianapolis and is composed of Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue and Butler.

Well, that was fast.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 11:07:38 AM »

I believe Frozena was explicitly looking for the version with the Oxford Comma, not the heathen version you're referencing.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
I believe Frozena was explicitly looking for the version with the Oxford Comma, not the heathen version you're referencing.

LOL.... I was thinking the same thing, although I didn't know it was call the Oxford Comma.  Learn something every day.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »

Ah, Grammar Nazis.  The difference between "Acting like you're Mother Teresa."  and "Acting like your mother, Teresa."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:29:08 PM by Lazar's Headband »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
Ah, Grammer Nazis.  The difference between "Acting like you're Mother Teresa."  and "Acting like your mother, Teresa."

Where are the spelling Nazis?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

Maybe they are talking about someone's welcome.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
Where are the spelling Nazis?

DOH!

Corrected

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »
LOL.... I was thinking the same thing, although I didn't know it was call the Oxford Comma.  Learn something every day.