[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Welcome to MU Jamal Cain!  (Read 37106 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Welcome to MU Jamal Cain!
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
Fantastic news! Welcome to Marquette Jamal!

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
Awesome news! Welcome to the Marquette family,Jamal!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
I'm in agreement with this analysis.

Welcome!

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
things are really looking up. Welcome Jamal. Go Warriors!!

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
Welcome to Warrior Nation Jamal!!!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to Marquette, Jamal!

It's great to see Wojo and the staff closing the deal on multiple top targets. To me, that says they're doing a good job of identifying players who will best fit the program and who are most interested in MU. Seems like a smart, efficient approach.

Between Eke, John and Cain, the Class of 2017 adds quality talent to the roster at much-needed positions. I'd grade the class as a solid B right now, no matter who else commits. Landing Xavier Tillman would push that into A- territory or better.

My grading scale:

A = greatly improves team's talent level, especially at key positions of need
B = improves team's talent level
C = treading water
D = degrades team's talent level
F = fails to address key team needs

Obviously, this is highly subjective. But the basic idea is pretty simple. If Wojo can recruit at a B level or better, year in and year out, that should be a good indicator for future success. Then it's up to the staff to develop and coach that talent to reach its fullest potential.

It's worth noting that this isn't a universal grading scale. Recruiting at MU is harder than recruiting at Duke or Kentucky. With Wojo landing successive Top 25 classes that collectively improve the team's overall talent level, I'd give him at least a B or B+, maybe even an A-. By that measure, you could call him a great recruiter. Coach K or Calipari, meanwhile, need to sign multiple All-Americans every year to earn a similar grade.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »

It's great to see Wojo and the staff closing the deal on multiple top targets. To me, that says they're doing a good job of identifying players who will best fit the program and who are most interested in MU. Seems like a smart, efficient approach.

Between Eke, John and Cain, the Class of 2017 adds quality talent to the roster at much-needed positions. I'd grade the class as a solid B right now, no matter who else commits. Landing Xavier Tillman would push that into A- territory or better.

My grading scale:

C = treading water

Obviously, this is highly subjective. But the basic idea is pretty simple. If Wojo can recruit at a B level or better, year in and year out, that should be a good indicator for future success. Then it's up to the staff to develop and coach that talent to reach its fullest potential.

It's worth noting that this isn't a universal grading scale. Recruiting at MU is harder than recruiting at Duke or Kentucky. With Wojo landing successive Top 25 classes that collectively improve the team's overall talent level, I'd give him at least a B or B+, maybe even an A-. By that measure, you could call him a great recruiter. Coach K or Calipari, meanwhile, need to sign multiple All-Americans every year to earn a similar grade.
In terms of the classes that Wojo had completer responsibility for this is how I look at it:

We have four players from the 2015 class on the roster right now. Two are going to be significant contributors, Haanif and Traci. One is going to be a role player at an important position., Matt. One is on a steady trajectory to be a solid contributor, Anim. So overall that classes improved our lot in life.

We have two players in the 2016 class. One is projected to play an immediate role and make a contribution due to his size and ability to play at the 4, Sam. The other has a lot of promise, time will tell his role this year, but in the out years he looks to be a significant contributor , Markus.

We have 3 players in the 2017 class. All three are projected to contribute at the  open positions at 3,4,5, Jamal, Theo and Ike.

We have 1 player in the 2018 class, Brendan who is projected to contribute at the 2/3 and will be a 20 year old freshman.

We have two transfers, one in the 2014 class who will have a niche role as a shooter, Andrew. One in the 2013 class who will have a significant role as a shooter, Katin.

To date Wojo has not had a dud recruit or super high risk recruit. His cumulative body of work is solid. If he can finish off 2017 with one of the guys who has been mentioned and then have a solid 2018 , we should be a in postion for sustained quality play.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
To date Wojo has not had a dud recruit or super high risk recruit. His cumulative body of work is solid. If he can finish off 2017 with one of the guys who has been mentioned and then have a solid 2018 , we should be a in postion for sustained quality play.

It's too early to determine if any of Wojo's recruits are duds.  I mean, he had one freshman in his first class, Cohen, who hasn't really done much.  His second class included a couple players who didn't play all that much but it was understandable cause they were freshmen.

And I don't know what you want to say about Gabe Levin.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
It's too early to determine if any of Wojo's recruits are duds.  I mean, he had one freshman in his first class, Cohen, who hasn't really done much.  .
And honestly keeping Sandy was absolutely necessary fro him to field a (semi) competitive team in year 1 given how depleted we were.

With all the depth now, finding minutes to keep everyone happy is a nice problem to have.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
And not sure how anyone can say that Anim  is " on a steady trajectory to be a solid contributor".

I mean he certainly could get there but at this point we have had seen no evidence of it.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
And not sure how anyone can say that Anim  is " on a steady trajectory to be a solid contributor".

I mean he certainly could get there but at this point we have had seen no evidence of it.

Sandy and Sacre are both wild cards this year, if they give MU anything, I will be impressed with there improvement as I look at both as the 11th and 12th player
on the team right now.  But Sacre did his best work selling MU to Theo,  so to Anim,  thank you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »
It's "Sacar." 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2016, 07:44:10 PM »
I know this is directed at me..so be a dbag..i dont care. Has Wojo done well recruiting? Sure..but the true measure is can it translate to "W's" and most importantly..consistent NCAA berths? Thats what these classes should be judged on..so we'll see how good these classes are...NCAA Tourney good? Sweet 16's good? Final Fours good? National Champions good?

As far as anointing him a "great" recruiter? Lets pump the brakes on that a bit..lets see as time goes on if he can steal a recruit or two along the way from a Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. To be the best..you've got to beat the best.

And hey what are we doing in the Big East anyway?  It's just holding us back.  It's time to drop out so that we can get that call from the ACC to join there.  ND has proven that football isn't a necessity.  Just give 'em a call and let 'em know that we're gonna be the best.  That should do it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
Cain looks to me like the type of athletic scoring wing I'd see on a team like Xavier or Oregon, and think to myself, "why can't MU get a guy like that?".

I like it.

Xavier was actually in on him early on.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
It's too early to determine if any of Wojo's recruits are duds.  I mean, he had one freshman in his first class, Cohen, who hasn't really done much.  His second class included a couple players who didn't play all that much but it was understandable cause they were freshmen.

And I don't know what you want to say about Gabe Levin.
My definition of a dud is a Jamal Ferguson/Jamail Jones  type that is overwhelmed by the Big East level of play and have to go down a notch.  Cohen has not lived up to expectations but he did have a defensive effort in the game against Wisconsin last year that directly helped us to win. So I would not put Cohen in the dud category, for now he is in the Juan Anderson failed to achieve potential category.

I have commented a lot about Gabe Levin. He was truly Wojo's first big recruit, if you remember we were competing head on with Notre Dame, Northwestern and Georgia Tech for him. Unfortunately , Levin perceived our recruitment of Henry as something that was not in his own best interests, and there were other personal factors at play  and he immediately transferred back to the coast.  He did have a very solid second season last year , similar to his first , so I think he would have done well with us if he stayed. I actually think he would have gotten a lot of playing time alongside Henry and would have been in a great position with us this year.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »
How do we know that Sacar won't end up like Jamail?  I mean we hope he won't...

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »
We have 1 player in the 2018 class, Brendan who is projected to contribute at the 2/3 and will be a 20 year old freshman.

Nothing against you here, this is just my personal view point.

I refuse to believe that Brendan Bailey will be a Day 1 contributor after a two year Mormon mission/layoff from basketball/layoff from quality strength & conditioning training until I see it.

I could be totally wrong.  But I'm not expecting anything from him in year one.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

My grading scale:

C = treading water

Last year was a decent season even though we did not make post season play. But most of our success was due to Henry. I think this year will give us a sense of where our program really is. First off if Rowsey and Katin are the shooters their suppose to be then our perimeter game should improve. I still don't think this team will win the rebound battles and that alone will put pressure on our defense to force turn overs and/or steals. It will be interesting to see if Haniif can improve off his freshman year as he is the only player I was impressed with from last season albeit Henry.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
It's extremely difficult to judge success in recruiting except by what scouts have to say. No scouting service is perfect (far from it). But the general consensus has been that Wojo's put together a couple Top 25 recruiting classes.

We're restocking the cupboard in terms of talent. So far, so good. But talent is only part of the equation. You also need to develop players and coach them to win as a team. Until Marquette gets back to the postseason (preferably the NCAA tournament variety), those two areas of Wojo's young coaching tenure will remain in question.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
This is depressing.

We had a nice recruit tell us he was coming our way today.

Instead of celebrating, we're complaining that Wojo isn't Al, or at least Coach K and our recruits aren't Bo Ellis, David Boone, Jerel McNeill and Maurice Lucas rolled into one.

Look, the kid is a four star recruit. We're getting talent that, if we're not an elite team, we'll help get us there soon.

I want to see what Coach Wojo does with what he has, but c'mon guys. Wait until next week sometime to urinate on this parade? OK?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
Nothing against you here, this is just my personal view point.

I refuse to believe that Brendan Bailey will be a Day 1 contributor after a two year Mormon mission/layoff from basketball/layoff from quality strength & conditioning training until I see it.

I could be totally wrong.  But I'm not expecting anything from him in year one.
Here is an article that supports your position:

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2015/5/9/8564195/guide-what-athletes-do-on-lds-mormon-missions-trips-hint-not-professional-training-or-weightlifting

He left for mission on April 12 so in theory he will have 6 months to get back into condition and become basketball ready again. Todd will have him ready.   
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
This is depressing.

We had a nice recruit tell us he was coming our way today.

Instead of celebrating, we're complaining that Wojo isn't Al, or at least Coach K and our recruits aren't Bo Ellis, David Boone, Jerel McNeill and Maurice Lucas rolled into one.

Look, the kid is a four star recruit. We're getting talent that, if we're not an elite team, we'll help get us there soon.

I want to see what Coach Wojo does with what he has, but c'mon guys. Wait until next week sometime to urinate on this parade? OK?

Get off your high horse. It's one guy who was baited into it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »
Jamal demonstrates a wide variety of skills. I like that about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3abFWPI_28

His body control is something that just cannot be taught. 
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Get off your high horse. It's one guy who was baited into it.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »
I'm bullish on MU under Wojo.

He's come out of the gate strong on the recruiting front.

JJJ's emergence during the Big East conference season this year shows promise in terms of developing players. (Not to mention Wojo's experience working with some of the best players in college basketball at Duke.) This year, of course, should tell more of the story: Duane, Luke, Haanif, Traci, Heldt, Anim, etc.

As far as coaching goes, I'm encouraged by a couple things. For one, Coach K didn't name Wojo to the Olympic coaching staff as a recruiter. He came to MU with arguably a better resume than either Kevin O'Neill or Tom Crean. (Buzz had a year as a Division I head coach.) And unlike some young teams struggling with inconsistent play, Marquette hung together throughout the season. Again, time will tell.

With more depth and experience, there's a chance we could be a better team even without Henry. I can't wait for the season to start.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:47:24 PM by Marcus92 »