[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Welcome to MU Jamal Cain!  (Read 37096 times)

Mane37

• Walk-On
Re: Welcome to MU Jamal Cain!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 09:31:08 PM »
OK, so what is the scouting report on Cain?  While I hate to compare him to any alumni (seeing as he's not played a minute of D1 yet)... who does he most aptly translate to at this point?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 09:40:33 PM »
Athletic combo forward.

I'm not going to compare him to anyone because the hype gets out of control when we start doing that.

Has some toughness to his game from what I have read and the limited video that I have watched. Pretty smooth......had good stats in the EYBL I think. Jaybe could confirm.

Plays at a small school in Michigan and put up big numbers as you would expect.

Was definitely an ascending player as far as rankings go this spring/summer.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Athletic combo forward.

I'm not going to compare him to anyone because the hype gets out of control when we start doing that.

Has some toughness to his game from what I have read and the limited video that I have watched. Pretty smooth......had good stats in the EYBL I think. Jaybe could confirm.

Plays at a small school in Michigan and put up big numbers as you would expect.

Was definitely an ascending player as far as rankings go this spring/summer.
An old article from his sophomore season.
https://michiganpreps.rivals.com/news/sophomore-jamal-cain-is-one-to-watch
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 10:14:54 PM »
Wow, scholarship table updated again...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=page4655

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Big Daddy Cain with a foreshadow!

Exactly!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:21 PM »
Another 3-star proves again Wojo is a loser.

So what if Wojo stole him from his homestate school, or that the kid made his decision before even taking his Georgia visit next week, or that a dozen other teams wanted him.

Winning 20 games in his first season with his recruits and then going out and signing a bunch of meh players ... am I the only Marquette fan who wonders why we can't sign a half-dozen 5-star recruits every year?

Oh, and P.S., remember that Henry doesn't count.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »
Another 3-star proves again Wojo is a loser.

So what if Wojo stole him from his homestate school, or that the kid made his decision before even taking his Georgia visit next week, or that a dozen other teams wanted him.

Winning 20 games in his first season with his recruits and then going out and signing a bunch of meh players ... am I the only Marquette fan who wonders why we can't sign a half-dozen 5-star recruits every year?

Oh, and P.S., remember that Henry doesn't count.

I know this is sarcasm but I keep seeing Cain referred to as a 3 star. He's a 4* almost across the board and top 100 in some rankings

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »
I know this is sarcasm but I keep seeing Cain referred to as a 3 star. He's a 4* almost across the board and top 100 in some rankings

Oh sure ... try to make Wojo look good with your "facts."

I don't know why he can't pick off 3-4 of the guys who go to Duke and Kentucky every year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
Love it. Welcome Jamal! We needed some more Js.

Kid looks really good. Exact type of player we've lacked in recent years. Shooting shouldn't be an issue next year (hopefully not his year either). Super pumped to see him in an MU uni. If Wojo can close the deal on X Tillman I will be giddy.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
Oh sure ... try to make Wojo look good with your "facts."

I don't know why he can't pick off 3-4 of the guys who go to Duke and Kentucky every year.

I know this is directed at me..so be a dbag..i dont care. Has Wojo done well recruiting? Sure..but the true measure is can it translate to "W's" and most importantly..consistent NCAA berths? Thats what these classes should be judged on..so we'll see how good these classes are...NCAA Tourney good? Sweet 16's good? Final Fours good? National Champions good?

As far as anointing him a "great" recruiter? Lets pump the brakes on that a bit..lets see as time goes on if he can steal a recruit or two along the way from a Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. To be the best..you've got to beat the best.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
I know this is directed at me..so be a dbag..i dont care. Has Wojo done well recruiting? Sure..but the true measure is can it translate to "W's" and most importantly..consistent NCAA berths? Thats what these classes should be judged on..so we'll see how good these classes are...NCAA Tourney good? Sweet 16's good? Final Fours good? National Champions good?

As far as anointing him a "great" recruiter? Lets pump the brakes on that a bit..lets see as time goes on if he can steal a recruit or two along the way from a Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. To be the best..you've got to beat the best.

Marquette is not Kansas or duke or Kentucky. If you expect us to steal recruits from the likes of those programs on a regular basis, you're going to be disappointed quite often.

Wojo (and Stan) have done a great job recruiting. Like you, I hope we see it start translating to notches in the left side of the column on a more consistent basis. I think we all can agree that hopefully that'll start this year. Let's not forget Wojo did win 20 games last year without a postseason.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:02 PM »
Jamal Cain is a tremendous recruit for MU. I have watched him play several times and I can say with confidence he has an excellent motor, very good court awareness and vision, can take it to the rack and has a nice mid range stroke on his shot. With weight training I think his range will expand.

He is a throw back to the type of players we recruited in the 70s.  We are going to be an excellent home for him.

Jamal plays on the same club as Ike Eke. I cant wait to see them playing together for us.
UNC Grad MU Fan

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 11:48:33 PM »
Marquette is not Kansas or duke or Kentucky. If you expect us to steal recruits from the likes of those programs on a regular basis, you're going to be disappointed quite often.

Wojo (and Stan) have done a great job recruiting. Like you, I hope we see it start translating to notches in the left side of the column on a more consistent basis. I think we all can agree that hopefully that'll start this year. Let's not forget Wojo did win 20 games last year without a postseason.

To be fair..i didnt try to imply or do i expect MU to steal recruits from those 3 on a regular basis..but if Wojo could do it every once in awhile..then i think we can say he's a great recruiter.

I do expect to see MU back in the NCAA's this year as i think Reinhardt and Rowsey will be huge additions..this team should be able to shoot it this year.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 12:04:44 AM »
To be fair..i didnt try to imply or do i expect MU to steal recruits from those 3 on a regular basis..but if Wojo could do it every once in awhile..then i think we can say he's a great recruiter.

I do expect to see MU back in the NCAA's this year as i think Reinhardt and Rowsey will be huge additions..this team should be able to shoot it this year.

So how often is "every once in a while." This kid named Henry Ellenson cancelled his official visit to Kentucky to commit to Wojo and Marquette. So Wojo, to this point in his college coaching career, has "stolen" a recruit from Kentucky in 50% of his recruiting classes.

Oh wait I forgot, Hank doesn't count.

And if we were to get Tillman over Izzo that doesn't count because Stan worked on Tillman. And if someone from Maryland down the road comes to MU over some blue bloods it doesn't count because that's where Wojo is from. And if someone from the southeast commits over blue bloods it doesn't count because Wojo had the Duke connections there. And if someone from Arizona skips his senior year and commits over blue bloods it doesn't count because again he had his relationship with Stan.

And so on and so forth.

::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 12:07:01 AM »

Wojo is working on his third class. He stole Henry from those types of schools. Guess you'd call him a great recruiter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 12:11:43 AM »
Cain looks to me like the type of athletic scoring wing I'd see on a team like Xavier or Oregon, and think to myself, "why can't MU get a guy like that?".

I like it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Kid reminds me of a skinnier, taller Todd Townsend that can jump and shoot.

Just kidding, you're the man Todd (and Townsend actually had really good hops if i remember correctly )

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
So how often is "every once in a while." This kid named Henry Ellenson cancelled his official visit to Kentucky to commit to Wojo and Marquette. So Wojo, to this point in his college coaching career, has "stolen" a recruit from Kentucky in 50% of his recruiting classes.

Oh wait I forgot, Hank doesn't count.

And if we were to get Tillman over Izzo that doesn't count because Stan worked on Tillman. And if someone from Maryland down the road comes to MU over some blue bloods it doesn't count because that's where Wojo is from. And if someone from the southeast commits over blue bloods it doesn't count because Wojo had the Duke connections there. And if someone from Arizona skips his senior year and commits over blue bloods it doesn't count because again he had his relationship with Stan.

And so on and so forth.

::)

Now you're being ridiculous..If for one second you don't think it wasn't EASIER(not a guarantee), for Wojo to land Henry because he was in state as opposed to say from Florida..then you're just plain CLUELESS. Period. It matters. Because, the minute Wojo would ever be in on a highly regarded recruit from North Carolina..EVERYONE would be saying "will be almost impossible to get him out of the state". So it would work that way for a situation like that..but the same doesnt aplly to Henry?

Hell, I've seen plenty of people here talking about how it would be really hard to get Tillman out of Michigan and away from MSU. Gee..maybe because they are IN STATE. But yet..Henry stayed home and thats a recruiting coup..if Tillman goes to MSU..it will hardly be a shock to anyone because...wait for it..MSU is IN his home state. Funny how that works huh?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:17 AM »
Now you're being ridiculous..If for one second you don't think it wasn't EASIER(not a guarantee), for Wojo to land Henry because he was in state as opposed to say from Florida..then you're just plain CLUELESS. Period. It matters.

I think everyone agrees that it matters. It was certainly an advantage we had. But I think it was your earlier assertion that Henry "didn't count" because he was in state. Yes it was easier to get Henry but it was far from easy. Kentucky, Duke and Michigan State pick kids off from in state schools multiple times every class. Beating them is impressive no matter what the circumstance.

Because, the minute Wojo would ever be in on a highly regarded recruit from North Carolina..EVERYONE would be saying "will be almost impossible to get him out of the state". So it would work that way for a situation like that..but the same doesnt aplly to Henry?

It would be almost impossible for US to get a 5 star kid out of North Carolina. For Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, etc. it would be no big issue.

Hell, I've seen plenty of people here talking about how it would be really hard to get Tillman out of Michigan and away from MSU. Gee..maybe because they are IN STATE. But yet..Henry stayed home and thats a recruiting coup..if Tillman goes to MSU..it will hardly be a shock to anyone because...wait for it..MSU is IN his home state. Funny how that works huh?

Tillman being in state is part of it. But a small part of it. It is more that he is being recruited by Michigan State, an elite level program coached by a future hall of fame member. That's why it will be hard to get him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 03:51:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity I looked up how often non-elite basketball schools get 5 star prospects from out of state.

#5 Markelle Fultz from MD to Washington
#19 Omari Spellman from OH to Villanova (Academic Issues)
#23 Mustapha Heron from CT to Auburn
#25 Omer Yurtseven from Turkey to NC State (academic issues)

#1 Ben Simmons from FL to LSU (forgot the connection but he's related to a coach or something)
#4 Jaylen Brown from GA to Cal
#6 Diamond Stone from WI to Maryland
#16 Antonio Blakeney from FL to LSU (Originally went to Louisville than decommitted due to pending scandal)
#22 Jalen Brunson from IL to Villanova

#16 D'Angelo Russell from KY to Ohio State
#18 Devin Robinson from VA to Florida (overrated)

NONE

#5 Steven Adams from Australia to Pitt
#10 Marcus Smart from TX to Oklahoma State
#16 Kris Dunn from CT to Providence
#17 Glenn Robinson from IN to Michigan
#25 Devonta Pollard from MS to Alabama (VERY overrated)

#4 Bradley Beal from MO to Florida
#5 Quincy Miller from IL to Baylor
#8 LeBryan Nash from TX to Oklahoma State
#14 Khem Birch from MA to UNLV
#18 Jabari Brown from CA to Oregon

#6 Tobias Harris from NY to Tennessee
#11 Tristan Thompson from Canada to Texas
#12 Cory Joseph from Canada to Texas
#13 Will Barton from MD to Memphis
#16 Tony Mitchell from TX to Missouri (Academically ineligible)
#19 Deshaun Thomas from IN to Ohio State

So this decade, only 27 5 star recruits have gone to an out of state non-elite basketball program.

The only schools to get more than one are: Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma State, LSU, and Villanova.

Of the 27, at least 6 had extra circumstances that may have kept elite programs from sniffing around.

Of the 27, 9 were from neighboring states, so it could be argued that the coach have still played the "close to home" card.

I don't know. This just seems like a high standard to hold Wojo to. I think it is very difficult to to recruit 5 star kids outside of your own backyard. A vast majority go either to elite programs or stay in state. To expect Wojo to regularly compete with the Dukes and Kentuckys outside of Wisconsin seems like a stretch.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2016, 05:53:26 AM »
am I the only Marquette fan who wonders why we can't sign a half-dozen 5-star recruits every year week?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »
I know this is directed at me..so be a dbag..i dont care. Has Wojo done well recruiting? Sure..but the true measure is can it translate to "W's" and most importantly..consistent NCAA berths?

Yet another scramble to move the goalposts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 07:14:18 AM »
Nice work to all who helped derail this thread.

Welcome to the family Jamal!!
No Finish Line

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 07:23:32 AM »
Nice work to all who helped derail this thread.

Welcome to the family Jamal!!

Yes.  Why feed the troll.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
It has been said many times here that it takes five years to judge a coach and I think that will be very true for Wojo.
Year 5 is starting to look like( I listed players by class)
C. Heldt (4) Eke (2)
PF John (2) Bailey (1)
SF Hauser (3) Cain (2)
SG Cheatham (4) Anim (4)
PG Carter (4) Howard (3)
This is starting to shape up as a very good team.  I would expect year 3 to be better than year 4, but year 5 to be Wojo's year.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM by bilsu »

feedback