[Today at 07:52:43 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by Its DJOver
[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 104484 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
i

I'd find the argument more compelling if the NFL ratings dip was taking place in a vacuum, but it's not.
Last night's Emmys ratings were an all-time low, and 5 percent lower than last year's show ... which had been the previous all-time low.
Olympics ratings were way down. College football ratings are down. Final Four ratings fell 30 percent. Oscars ratings were at an 8-year low. Grammy ratings hit a 6-year low.

Seems to me the more likely culprits than Colin Kaepernick are a) streaming and/or other methods and  b) people watching less TV.
But that's boring and apolitical, so let's by all means continue to blame it on a tiny minority of players who refuse to partake in forced patriotism.

A growing number of people don't watch live TV anymore. Sure, they may catch a game every once in a while, but I'd bet that more and more "casual sports fans" are binge watching streaming series as opposed to tuning in to an awards show or a MNF game they don't have a rooting interest in.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
I personally find watching football far less appealing the more and more instant replay reviews are brought into the game.

Football is already painfully tedious to watch (especially in person). Several multi-minute delays per game aren't doing football any favors

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:50 PM »

NFL Ratings Continue to Plunge in Third Week of National Anthem Protests
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/28/nfl-ratings-continue-plunge-third-week-national-anthem-protests/

For the third consecutive week, ratings for the National Football League (NFL) have plummeted, as players continue anti-American protests during the playing of the national anthem. This week’s drop-off also coincided with the Monday broadcast of the first presidential debate between Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat nominee Hillary Clinton.

Ratings for Sunday Night Football featuring the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys scored a 12.9 Nielsen rating, down from the game’s 13.7 rating last week. Week two, in turn, was down from week one’s 13.9 rating, according to Sports Business Daily. Ratings also dropped more than they did during week three a year ago for the slate of midday regional games, falling by 18 percent.

Monday Night Football performed even worse. Monday’s game between the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints received a low 5.7 rating, a 38 percent plunge from week three of last year.

Notably, the game was competing against the first presidential debate between Trump and Clinton, an event that earned the biggest debate audience in U.S. political history. According to CNN Money, the September 26 debate brought in more than 80 million viewers.

But the NFL has also been suffering under the anti-American protests during the playing of the national anthem, which San Francisco 49ers second string quarterback Colin Kaepernick started three weeks ago.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »

NFL Ratings Continue to Plunge in Third Week of National Anthem Protests
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/28/nfl-ratings-continue-plunge-third-week-national-anthem-protests/

For the third consecutive week, ratings for the National Football League (NFL) have plummeted, as players continue anti-American protests during the playing of the national anthem. This week’s drop-off also coincided with the Monday broadcast of the first presidential debate between Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat nominee Hillary Clinton.

Ratings for Sunday Night Football featuring the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys scored a 12.9 Nielsen rating, down from the game’s 13.7 rating last week. Week two, in turn, was down from week one’s 13.9 rating, according to Sports Business Daily. Ratings also dropped more than they did during week three a year ago for the slate of midday regional games, falling by 18 percent.

Monday Night Football performed even worse. Monday’s game between the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints received a low 5.7 rating, a 38 percent plunge from week three of last year.

Notably, the game was competing against the first presidential debate between Trump and Clinton, an event that earned the biggest debate audience in U.S. political history. According to CNN Money, the September 26 debate brought in more than 80 million viewers.

But the NFL has also been suffering under the anti-American protests during the playing of the national anthem, which San Francisco 49ers second string quarterback Colin Kaepernick started three weeks ago.

GROAN!!!

even you have to see the problem with quoting a breitbart "article" that blames a minority.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2016, 09:29:51 PM »
The fact that Breitbart labelled the protests "anti-American" are a nice touch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »
GROAN!!!

even you have to see the problem with quoting a breitbart "article" that blames a minority.

Thank you for point that out. I thought it was very odd for a time article. Didn't notice the old switcheroo until you pointed it out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »
Of course the ratings are down on Sunday night.

You put the f-rickin Bears on Sunday Night Football and you deserve what you get.

I'm surprised Sunday Night Football even registered. Especially by halftime.

Bears suck. I should know. I'm a season ticket holder.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
NFL Ratings Drop Across The Board In Week 3
'Monday Night Football' Tanks Against Presidential Debate
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/27/nfl-ratings-drop-across-the-board-in-week-3/

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2016, 11:20:34 PM »
Take a knee and NFL ratings suffer, hey that's freedom of speech.

Celebrate your children and how proud you are of them, and the NFL will crush you like a grape.

So why does the NFL tolerate political statements but not personal statements?

Antonio Brown says officials made him change shoes at halftime

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/28/antonio-brown-says-officials-made-him-change-shoes-at-halftime/

Antonio Brown wore special cleats Sunday, shoes that bore the faces of his children because, he explained, they’re “the four reasons I lace them up every day.”

Nice, right?

Not in the NFL, which fines players for uniforms that aren’t uniform. The Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver was dinged earlier in the season, his paycheck docked for wearing the shoes (and twerking) in the opener. He was nonchalant about that penalty, saying it was “nothing to a boss.” So he had to know going into Sunday’s game that he would face the next level on the fines scale.

------------------------

And why is it that the NFL only tolerates some political statements? 

Are we going to torcher logic and say changing the uniform is not allowed and that is why Antonio Brown and the Cowboys were rejected? 

If Kaepernick decided to stand for the anthem and instead decided to put a decal on his helmet, or a picture on his shoes, do you think the NFL would dare prevent him from playing?

I think this Kaepernick thing is killing the NFL.  Too many "weak" people that fear political correctness lack the courage to say it. It flies in the face of their fans.  Sports are supposed to be an escape from this stuff, not a place where it is thrown in your face.  And the NFL is allowing one political statement (Kaepernick) but not the opposite (Cowboys decal).  Right there they upset 50% of the country.  It's a losing situation for them. 

The NFL is not the Government, they can do whatever they want.  The first amendment does not apply to them.  They need to ban any and all political statements ASAP.  All of them on the field.  Zero tolerance

NFL won't allow Cowboys to wear decal supporting Dallas police on their helmets
August 11, 2016
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/08/10/nfl-allow-dallas-cowboys-wear-arm-arm-decal-helmets-games

The Arm in Arm decal the Cowboys unveiled to open training camp won't be on their helmets when the club opens its preseason schedule Saturday at the Los Angeles Rams.

The Cowboys heard back from the NFL on Wednesday and were told by league officials they can't wear the decal during any preseason or regular-season games, executive vice president Stephen Jones said. Jones added that the Cowboys can wear the decal during training camp practices.

"Everyone has to be uniform with the league and the other 31 teams," Jones said after practice Wednesday. "We respect their decision."

The Dallas Police Department sent out a news release reacting to the news Thursday afternoon. In it, the department said the sentiment mattered more than the results.

"We appreciate the support of the Cowboys organization and its players," the statement said. "Their concern for the families of our fallen officers, the Dallas Police Department, and the City of Dallas is what matters most, and we know that support will continue for the immediate and long term future."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:28:07 PM by Jesse Livermore »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:19 AM »
It's pretty simple. Changing the uniforms is against the rules. Taking a knee during the national anthem isn't. You can argue that the uniform rule is dumb and I would agree. You could also argue that there should be a rule banning kneeling during the national anthem and I would disagree. But the two have nothing to do with each other. If the Dallas Cowboys want to honor the fallen policemen by doing a handstand during the national anthem they are more than welcome to. And if the protesters wanted to add a BLM decal to their helmets, they would be told no.

I think its funny that you think this is the work of the PC crowd. PC means not saying things that offend people. So really you are the one arguing for political correctness since you are saying Kaepernick shouldn't do something that offends people.

I also find it funny that you think that the protest being inconvenient for others is a reason it should stop. The whole idea behind a protest is to be disruptive so that people will pay attention to a certain cause or movement. If people are getting upset enough to turn off the TV (which is laughable IMHO) then it is working. I bet plenty of people were pissed off when sit ins were going on in the 1960s too (Before anyone goes off the handle, I'm comparing methodology not importance or significance).

But the thing that is downright hilarious is that this whole phenomenon was caused by the masses who are supposedly boycotting the NFL over this. Kaepernick didn't do this to start a movement. He just decided that he didn't want to stand for the national anthem as a personal thing. Kind of like an atheist choosing not say the pledge of allegiance. He did it with no comment for three games. It wasn't until the masses noticed and threw a nationwide hissyfit over it, that it became a movement. If people had just left him alone and allowed him to practice his belief in peace, this would have gone no further. But because the masses couldn't bear the thought that some backup QB, who they have never met and will never meet, didn't believe in standing for the national anthem, it gained traction. Now there are hundreds of players from every level, sport, background, and race participating. If the boycotters want a person to blame, they just need to look in the mirror.

The fact that thousands of people are willing to boycott the NFL because some players are kneeling during the national anthem but they weren't willing to boycott it when there was concerns for player safety or widespread instances of domestic violence...that's not funny. That's just sad.

Your plan for zero tolerance on the kneelers isn't very strategic. The movement grew just because of fans' reactions to Kaepernick. How big do you think it will get if the league makes martyrs out all of them?

One last thing that is funny. Your spelling of "torture." I think a "torcher" is one who sets things on fire.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:14:34 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »

Are we going to torcher logic and say changing the uniform is not allowed and that is why Antonio Brown and the Cowboys were rejected? 

No but apparently we're going to "torcher" spelling.

(And TAMU answered this much better than I could.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
We should be celebrating the fact that MNF tanked against the presidential debate.   It means that maybe, just maybe, the American populace are paying attention.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
It's pretty simple. Changing the uniforms is against the rules. Taking a knee during the national anthem isn't. You can argue that the uniform rule is dumb and I would agree. You could also argue that there should be a rule banning kneeling during the national anthem and I would disagree. But the two have nothing to do with each other. If the Dallas Cowboys want to honor the fallen policemen by doing a handstand during the national anthem they are more than welcome to. And if the protesters wanted to add a BLM decal to their helmets, they would be told no.

I think its funny that you think this is the work of the PC crowd. PC means not saying things that offend people. So really you are the one arguing for political correctness since you are saying Kaepernick shouldn't do something that offends people.

I also find it funny that you think that the protest being inconvenient for others is a reason it should stop. The whole idea behind a protest is to be disruptive so that people will pay attention to a certain cause or movement. If people are getting upset enough to turn off the TV (which is laughable IMHO) then it is working. I bet plenty of people were pissed off when sit ins were going on in the 1960s too (Before anyone goes off the handle, I'm comparing methodology not importance or significance).

But the thing that is downright hilarious is that this whole phenomenon was caused by the masses who are supposedly boycotting the NFL over this. Kaepernick didn't do this to start a movement. He just decided that he didn't want to stand for the national anthem as a personal thing. Kind of like an atheist choosing not say the pledge of allegiance. He did it with no comment for three games. It wasn't until the masses noticed and threw a nationwide hissyfit over it, that it became a movement. If people had just left him alone and allowed him to practice his belief in peace, this would have gone no further. But because the masses couldn't bear the thought that some backup QB, who they have never met and will never meet, didn't believe in standing for the national anthem, it gained traction. Now there are hundreds of players from every level, sport, background, and race participating. If the boycotters want a person to blame, they just need to look in the mirror.

The fact that thousands of people are willing to boycott the NFL because some players are kneeling during the national anthem but they weren't willing to boycott it when there was concerns for player safety or widespread instances of domestic violence...that's not funny. That's just sad.

Your plan for zero tolerance on the kneelers isn't very strategic. The movement grew just because of fans' reactions to Kaepernick. How big do you think it will get if the league makes martyrs out all of them?

One last thing that is funny. Your spelling of "torture." I think a "torcher" is one who sets things on fire.

Actually it is even simpler.  The NFL is a private work place.  No private workplace allows for political or social statements at the determinant to the value of their product.  Even last year when Starbucks tried something similar, the customer outcry caused it to end in a week. And that was arguably with a far more sympathetic crowd that NFL viewers.

Again no private business tolerates any personal statements that hurt its product.  You would not tolerate a customer service representative engaging you on race conversation before helping you any more than a many NFL viewers want a back-up QB doing the same.

It is very bad business and they need a total ban.  Even if that means ending the national anthem before every game (which I never understood anyway).

Starbucks wants baristas to talk about race with customers
http://www.today.com/money/starbucks-wants-baristas-talk-about-race-customers-t9356

Starbucks ‘Race Together’ Campaign Brews Backlash
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/starbucks-race-backlash_n_6898324.html

Starbucks workers stop writing 'Race Together' on cups but company claims it's NOT because of criticism of the program
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006689/Starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-Race-customers-cups.html

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:33:57 AM by Jesse Livermore »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2016, 08:36:39 AM »
Question ... how big do you think this protest will be when the NBA and NCAA starts?  If MU and/or opposing players take a knee during the anthem and the BC crowd boos, is that acceptable?  Both are making a political statement, both have a right to do so.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
I've moved from the city to the country and fall has the best weather of the year.  Why would I want to spend the weekend inside watching football when I can be outdoors and live life.

I haven't watched a football game played in Sept-Nov in years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
I've moved from the city to the country and fall has the best weather of the year.  Why would I want to spend the weekend inside watching football when I can be outdoors and live life.

I haven't watched a football game played in Sept-Nov in years.

Congratulations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »
Actually it is even simpler.  The NFL is a private work place.  No private workplace allows for political or social statements at the determinant to the value of their product.  Even last year when Starbucks tried something similar, the customer outcry caused it to end in a week. And that was arguably with a far more sympathetic crowd that NFL viewers.

Again no private business tolerates any personal statements that hurt its product.  You would not tolerate a customer service representative engaging you on race conversation before helping you any more than a many NFL viewers want a back-up QB doing the same.

It is very bad business and they need a total ban.  Even if that means ending the national anthem before every game (which I never understood anyway).

http://www.today.com/money/starbucks-wants-baristas-talk-about-race-customers-t9356

Starbucks workers stop writing 'Race Together' on cups but company claims it's NOT because of criticism of the program
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006689/Starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-Race-customers-cups.html

The NFL has done everything it can to wrap itself up in the flag and in patriotism.  They aren't going to stop playing the national anthem.  They aren't going to stop players from kneeling. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Congratulations.

Thanks!

There are more people like me -- and those who are not interested in football at all -- than the average football fan realizes.  Big reason why ratings are down.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
I think about 95% of the reason ratings are down are due to either long term trends in how people consume entertainment and because the product itself has been sucky. 

As the weather turns bad, and as the playoffs draw closer, my guess is that the ratings will largely be back to near where they were.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:58 AM »

This is all crap. The NFL itself CHOOSES to make a political statement at the start of every game by playing the National Anthem. If they want to stop Kaepernick's actions, ceasing playing the Anthem is the only measure they should remotely consider taking.

Anyone asserting that Kaepernick should not be allowed to protest as he does is inherently anti-American.

Oh...that, and in before the lock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Congratulations.

That's kind of a dickish response to someone who's simply saying that he can enjoy life without football.  And hater is right... more people are waking up to that very fact every day.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
That's kind of a dickish response to someone who's simply saying that he can enjoy life without football.  And hater is right... more people are waking up to that very fact every day.

Thanks!!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:39 AM »
This is all crap. The NFL itself CHOOSES to make a political statement at the start of every game by playing the National Anthem. If they want to stop Kaepernick's actions, ceasing playing the Anthem is the only measure they should remotely consider taking.

Anyone asserting that Kaepernick should not be allowed to protest as he does is inherently anti-American.

Legit question because I don't know....is it the teams, the venue, or the league that dictate the playing of the national anthem?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »

Will the networks start to actually broadcast the National Anthem for every game now that this is "news"?

I doubt it as it will cost them $$$.

feedback