[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One more year for Novak!  (Read 11756 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: One more year for Novak!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »
The fans loved Novack when he was in New York. It would be great to see him replicate that level of performance.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
The fans loved Novack when he was in New York. It would be great to see him replicate that level of performance.

All that has to happen is a bunch of guys get hurt, the Bucks trade for Jeremy Lin and then ... history is repeated!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 11:11:15 PM »
...that's kind of (okay, entirely) been my point the entire time.  Hence the original post, "Would expect nothing less from the Bucks."  This is as "Bucks" of a move as they come.

Put it this way.  In 6 years (33 years old, like Novak now), if Derrick Rose is cut by whatever team he may be playing for, does anyone think the Bulls will pick him up, and then sign him for another year, especially if he's averaged 2.44 points per game over the previous 5 seasons?  Of course not.  But we're the Bucks, so it's what we do.

I love Steve.  He does nothing to help the Bucks.

Last season, NBA teams played between 6 (Philly) and 18 (Indiana) games decided by 3 points or less.  So the average team will be in about 12 games that could be won or tied on the last possession.

Steve does nothing on those last possessions when the Bucks have the ball?  Seriously, despite his weaknesses, there are maybe a handful of guys on the planet who'd give them a better chance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 06:25:53 AM »
Last season, NBA teams played between 6 (Philly) and 18 (Indiana) games decided by 3 points or less.  So the average team will be in about 12 games that could be won or tied on the last possession.

Steve does nothing on those last possessions when the Bucks have the ball?  Seriously, despite his weaknesses, there are maybe a handful of guys on the planet who'd give them a better chance.

I don't know how many times I can say it. If Steve Novak is in the game with 48 minutes or 0.48 seconds or anywhere in between and the game is yet to be decided the Bucks are totally effed.

Larry Bird could still make an open 3 pointer better than 90% of NBA players. That doesn't mean you want him on the court in a 1 possession game.

Although I might take him over Novak right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »

I don't know how many times I can say it. If Steve Novak is in the game with 48 minutes or 0.48 seconds or anywhere in between and the game is yet to be decided the Bucks are totally effed.

So the ability to hit a clutch outside shot better than almost anyone else is meaningless.  Got it. ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
So the ability to hit a clutch outside shot better than almost anyone else not in the NBA is meaningless.  Got it. ;)

Fixed.

And yes.  How many game tying or game winning shots has Novak hit in a 10 year NBA career?  I can recall one.  That doesn't scream "clutch outside shooter" to me.  Steve Novak is not a player that you should be relying on to help you win a game down the stretch.  He should never see meaningful minutes as a 33 year old.  It's why he has rarely ever played for the past 5 years.

I'll say it again.  I love Steve.  He does nothing to help the Bucks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:02:11 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
Fixed.

And yes.  How many game tying or game winning shots has Novak hit in a 10 year NBA career?  I can recall one.  That doesn't scream "clutch outside shooter" to me.  Steve Novak is not a player that you should be relying on to help you win a game down the stretch.  He should never see meaningful minutes as a 33 year old.  It's why he has rarely ever played for the past 5 years.

I'll say it again.  I love Steve.  He does nothing to help the Bucks.

Now you're just making yourself look silly.

I don't keep track of his game-winning or -tying shots...but the only reason he has lasted this long is that he's one of the best 3-point shooters in the NBA.  Anyone who "loves" Steve - heck, anyone who has ever watched Steve - would know that.  Just for your reference - since you obviously aren't that familiar with Steve's game, here's the list of the NBA's all-time 3-point percentage leaders.  http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_pct_career.html. You might notice that Steph Curry is the only active player above him.

This is a thread to celebrate and congratulate one of our own for getting another contract.  Nice hijack job.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:28:17 PM by GooooMarquette »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 07:09:07 PM »

I don't keep track of his game-winning or -tying shots...but the only reason he has lasted this long is that he's one of the best 3-point shooters in the NBA.  Anyone who "loves" Steve - heck, anyone who has ever watched Steve - would know that.  Just for your reference - since you obviously aren't that familiar with Steve's game, here's the list of the NBA's all-time 3-point percentage leaders.  http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_pct_career.html. You might notice that Steph Curry is the only active player above him.

This is a thread to celebrate and congratulate one of our own for getting another contract.  Nice hijack job.

Lol.  You realize that the only person I'm responding to is, well, you.  So if I'm responsible for hijacking this thread, then you're just as responsible.  But thank you I guess.

Anyways, I'm the one who looks silly, despite you being the one who thinks a 33 year old coming off of knee surgery and averaging 2.44 points per game...for the past 5 seasons...should be on the court in crunch time for an NBA team.

:o
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:10:54 PM by wadesworld »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Lol.  You realize that the only person I'm responding to is, well, you.  So if I'm responsible for hijacking this thread, then you're just as responsible.  But thank you I guess.

Anyways, I'm the one who looks silly, despite you being the one who thinks a 33 year old coming off of knee surgery and averaging 2.44 points per game...for the past 5 seasons...should be on the court in crunch time for an NBA team.

:o

In a thread congratulating Steve, I'm celebrating his new contract with the Bucks...and the fact that he's the 6th best 3-point shooter in NBA history.  You're ridiculing the deal.

Do you not understand what it means to hijack a thread?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:16:46 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:57 PM »
Congratulations to Steve on another year!

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »
It depends on the situation on whether Steve should be on the court in crunch time of any game...in some instances he SHOULD!

And in most others he'd BETTER BE. It doesn't matter really does it on what he has done the past 5 seasons where he has bounced around a bit.

But on THIS TEAM {Bucks} Steve can be very useful even if it is as a decoy or a spacer for one of this teammates who you play off of as a threat to hit a 3pt jumper from outside, can't he? Yes. I think so...

It is good strategy. Middleton, Novak, Teletovic, maybe Dellavedova and Terry are all options that Kidd can go to when they are down by 3 or less to get  a win...of course surrounding the two bookends Giannis and Parker...

That is not too far-fetched to envision, is it?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:09:51 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 12:14:55 AM »

Both Jason Terry and Steve Novak are high on that 3pt list...for a team that was last in 3pt attempts and makes and with a squad full of scary jump shooters afraid to miss...who handle the ball all the time [ahem, Giannis.]

Man if they had only sent his a-- to the D-League {like I begged them too} for his first two years to learn the NBA game and get confidence in his jump shot early he would be one of the best player in the league right now...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
The 14th and 15th seats on NBA teams are usually occupied by journeymen or players getting their first shot in the league at the age of 26 or something like that.  They aren't occupied by young talent that potentially could blossom into something down the line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using those seats on good locker room guys, who don't care about playing time, who can mentor a young team in need of leadership.  This will not harm the Bucks long-term development in the least.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »
The 14th and 15th seats on NBA teams are usually occupied by journeymen or players getting their first shot in the league at the age of 26 or something like that.  They aren't occupied by young talent that potentially could blossom into something down the line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using those seats on good locker room guys, who don't care about playing time, who can mentor a young team in need of leadership.  This will not harm the Bucks long-term development in the least.

Every word of this is true.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Anyone who doesn't want Novak on the Bucks hates America. Prove me wrong.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
Steve may never dress, but great ambassador for the Bucks and MU.  Will not bitch about playing time and will be great leader on the bench.  I would clap for
$1.5M a year as well.  I have to pay $300 a game instead to go watch, love his deal better.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

Larry Bird could still make an open 3 pointer better than 90% of NBA players. That doesn't mean you want him on the court in a 1 possession game.

Although I might take him over Novak right now.

Yoooooo.... this is just straight up stupid.

No offense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »
Yoooooo.... this is just straight up stupid.

No offense.

None taken considering thinking that Steve Novak should be on an NBA court in crunch time of a meaningful game is a lot more stupid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
None taken considering thinking that Steve Novak should be on an NBA court in crunch time of a meaningful game is a lot more stupid.

This is probably true.

Still ...

I remember a few years ago, the Knicks had him on the court at crunch time, just standing in the corner, and the SportsCenter guy made fun of it.

But just a month or so later was when Linsanity ensued and all of a sudden Novak was a revelation. And the SportsCenter anchor's partner ended up poking fun at his buddy for being so outraged that Novak had been on the court earlier in the season.

Obviously, it's many years later and circumstances are different. I just remember this and it cracks me up.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »

Agreed.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

This is the key point, really. The 15th guy isn't going to play. It could go to a worse candidate that a good, local, veteran locker room presence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
The Buckaroos will be one hell of a great team this season if their biggest problem is having a past-his-prime local guy as their 15th man.

I'm trying to decide if they'll win the NBA title or lose to Golden State in the Finals.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
Well, seeing that this was MY thread and that it simply was intended to be a 'Happy for Steve' discussion. ........

And since many of you practically ruined the football thread and forced Rocky to step in......

IDK, maybe one or three of you guys need to take a little breather, huh?

Scoop is way more fun when we avoid heel digging,  donchaya think?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:26 PM »
A buck and a half plus change for Steve. Livin' large, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Well, seeing that this was MY thread and that it simply was intended to be a 'Happy for Steve' discussion. ........

And since many of you practically ruined the football thread and forced Rocky to step in......

IDK, maybe one or three of you guys need to take a little breather, huh?

Scoop is way more fun when we avoid heel digging,  donchaya think?

So people can only chime in on YOUR thread when they say what YOU would like them to say? Come on. You congratulated Steve. And then "one or three" of us decided to discuss...Steve.

Congratulations Steve! You're the best! Hit those 3s in crunch time!

feedback